THE BROWNS BOARD

Kyrie Irving thinks the earth is flat.

The Cysko Kid

I sometimes think the people who opted out of here are the ones who got it right. This place is a seething pit of ignorance as ti who and what we really are.

One side has these cool stories about anthropomorphic gods and godesses thatbtold people clear horseshit like they delight in the smell of burning flesh, exhibit A)https://www.google.com/amp/s/rarebible.wordpress.com/2010/03/21/god-loves-the-aroma-of-burning-animals-and-grain/amp/?client=safari

Exhibit B ) https://www.jihadwatch.org/2015/08/72-virgins-are-waiting-for-me-in-heaven-so-why-i-should-prefer-only-one-here

Dafuq you would want saddled with 72 wonen who are only virgins for one time for? Any of u married blokes if u think about it enough understand what a fresh living hell tgat really is

And on the other side we have hole in the ground material atheists who tell us we're nothing more than a randomized organic robot that sprung forth from the ether. And our thoughts and feelings are nothing more than chemical reactions adapted by our dna over the eons.

None of it sits right with me. This is why i lean toward philosophies that tell us you have to find for urself who and what the fuck you are. Let no man tell you cool stories he cannot corroborate definitively is the long and short of it. That nixes all the major religions tbh. Especially the abrahamic ones. But hinduism is chock full of some clown shit too if u ever read about it. Same convuluted "pinky swear" its all the real deal pure shiite rubbish.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, i thought eve was the sinner...what did adam sin again?

Depends on which religion you ask. Quran holds them equally accountable for the sin, stating that they both ate the forbidden fruit, and unlike Christianity, does not hold the children of Adam accountable for their actions. Therefore there is no concept of original sin in Islam.

Depends on which religion you ask. Quran holds them equally accountable for the sin, stating that they both ate the forbidden fruit, and unlike Christianity, does not hold the children of Adam accountable for their actions. Therefore there is no concept of original sin in Islam.

Conveniently for them way after the fact.

Well you know i think its all bollocks, but at least islam gets some things right so a tip of me digital hat to u and ur islamic bretheren

I know you do, but if you believe in treating people right, helping the poor and needy, standing up for the weak, and that a person is the sum of their deeds, then you believe in things that Islam taught me. If you arrived at those beliefs from another route, then it's fine in my book.

TBH I see religion as a formalization of natural law. What I mean is, we are all born with the ability to sense pleasure, pain, and fear. These are all survival mechanisms. We are also born as social creatures. So when a we gives someone food, we feel pleasure. When we are hurt or hungry, we feel pain. When we are threatened, we feel fear. As social creatures, we understand that our brethren feel the same, and therefore we want to give pleasure to others, heal their pain, and shelter them from what frightens them in the hopes they will do the same for us. This is what I mean by natural law. Codify this in the Ten Commandments and subsequent scriptures and you have religion. Being an atheist or agnostic doesn't mean that you are not subject to these natural laws. This is why I do not find it difficult to befriend atheists and agnostics and why people of faith shouldn't stand in judgement of them.

I know you do, but if you believe in treating people right, helping the poor and needy, standing up for the weak, and that a person is the sum of their deeds, then you believe in things that Islam taught me. If you arrived at those beliefs from another route, then it's fine in my book.

TBH I see religion as a formalization of natural law. What I mean is, we are all born with the ability to sense pleasure, pain, and fear. These are all survival mechanisms. We are also born as social creatures. So when a we gives someone food, we feel pleasure. When we are hurt or hungry, we feel pain. When we are threatened, we feel fear. As social creatures, we understand that our brethren feel the same, and therefore we want to give pleasure to others, heal their pain, and shelter them from what frightens them in the hopes they will do the same for us. This is what I mean by natural law. Codify this in the Ten Commandments and subsequent scriptures and you have religion. Being an atheist or agnostic doesn't mean that you are not subject to these natural laws. This is why I do not find it difficult to befriend atheists and agnostics.

And?

Well you know i think its all bollocks, but at least islam gets some things right so a tip of me digital hat to u and ur islamic bretheren

Yeah you like the idea that Osiris interprets religious texts how he sees fit, to fit his personal beliefs. But then when Muslims use the Quran to justify the killing of fags, the stoning of disobedient women, killing infidels, or fuck a goat they are simply misinterpreting the Quran. Funny how you say Christians are convoluted.

Yeah you like the idea that Osiris interprets religious texts how he sees fit, to fit his personal beliefs. But then when Muslims use the Quran to justify the killing of fags, the stoning of disobedient women, killing infidels, or fuck a goat they are simply misinterpreting the Quran. Funny how you say Christians are convoluted.

I interpret it in the way that maintains logical consistency within the text of the Quran. I hope that idea isn't to convoluted for you to grasp. I am however glad to see that you agree with me that when people use the Quran to justify evil deeds, they are misinterpreting it.

When i made the statement to him "to me it's all bollocks in the end", what do you think i mean by that? Let's put our thinking caps on. A few posts back i pretty much stated unequivocally that all the abrahamic religions in the end are pure rubbish. When you read a statement like that, what does it say to you? Lean back in your chair thoughtfully, maybe kick your feet up on the table to get some extra bloodflow to the brain and really mull it over. I await your findings.

How,?

The universe and all of the creatures that live in it are far too complex to just function the way they do just because. They got that way and do the things they do just because? There's something out there in control of it all.

This life has left me with so many questions I have to get to heaven just to find the answer to them all.

I guess to really answer your question it's just my personal belief. Science just strengthens my faith. Perhaps because I chose to see it as such. Just as some see it as a means to destroy other people's faith. Free will brother....free will.

The universe and all of the creatures that live in it are far too complex to just function the way they do just because. They got that way and do the things they do just because? There's something out there in control of it all.

This life has left me with so many questions I have to get to heaven just to find the answer to them all.

I guess to really answer your question it's just my personal belief. Science just strengthens my faith. Perhaps because I chose to see it as such. Just as some see it as a means to destroy other people's faith. Free will brother....free will.

If you have strong faith, you're mind can't be changed. You look for evidence to support your predetermined conclusion.

If you choose the scientific, fact driven route, you welcome any additional data. You draw your conclusions from the evidence provided.

That's a big difference. If everyone thought the first way, we wouldn't get anywhere.

Also, "just because" is a gross oversimplification. But I imagine it makes the creationist viewpoint sound more legitimate...

If you choose the scientific, fact driven route, you welcome any additional data. You draw your conclusions from the evidence provided. Woody

Then why doesn't that work with mmgw?

http://www.climatedepot.com/2016/11/15/skeptics-deliver-2016-state-of-the-climate-report-to-un-summit-everything-you-been-told-about-global-warming-is-wrong/

'All of the so-called ‘solutions’ to global warming are purely symbolic when it comes to climate. So, even if we actually faced a climate catastrophe and we had to rely on a UN climate agreement, we would all be doomed!'

University of London professor emeritus Philip Stott: “The fundamental point has always been this. Climate change is governed by hundreds of factors, or variables, and the very idea that we can manage climate change predictably by understanding and manipulating at the margins one politically selected factor (CO2) is as misguided as it gets.” “It’s scientific nonsense,” Stott added.

Very prominent scientists are bailing out of the so-called “consensus.”

Renowned Princeton Physicist Freeman Dyson: ‘I’m 100% Democrat and I like Obama. But he took the wrong side on climate issue, and the Republicans took the right side’

Nobel Prize-Winning Scientist Dr. Ivar Giaever, Who Endorsed Obama Now Says Prez. is ‘Ridiculous’ & ‘Dead Wrong’ on ‘Global Warming’

Green Guru James Lovelock reverses belief in ‘global warming’: Now says ‘I’m not sure the whole thing isn’t crazy’ - Condemns green movement: 'It’s a religion really, It’s totally unscientific'

#

Meanwhile, climate skeptics descend on UN climate summit in Morocco: Skeptics in Morocco on Trump: ‘Expect both international & domestic climate agenda to be reversed. It’s about time!’

https://www.hatch.senate.gov/public/_files/UNClimateScientistsSpeakOut.pdf

"Controlling carbon is kind of a bureaucrat's dream. If you control carbon, you control life.” - MIT Climate Scientist Dr. Richard Lindzen, UN IPCC lead author and reviewer "First off, there isn't a consensus among scientists. Don't let anybody tell you there is.” - Dr. Charles Wax, past president of the American Association of State Climatologists "It is a blatant lie put forth in the media that makes it seem there is only a fringe of scientists who don't buy into anthropogenic global warming." - Atmospheric Scientist Stanley B. Goldenberg, NOAA

UN IPCC Authors (Actual Authors of the UN IPCC Reports on Climate Change) Dr. John T. Everett, UN IPCC lead author and reviewer, led work on five impact analyses for the IPCC including Fisheries, Polar Regions, Oceans and Coastal Zones. a former National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) senior manager, project manager for the UN Atlas of the Oceans, received an award while at NOAA for "accomplishments in assessing the impacts of climate change on global oceans and fisheries" "It is time for a reality check," Warming is not a big deal and is not a bad thing, The oceans and coastal zones have been far warmer and colder than is projected in the present scenarios of climate change." "I would much rather have the present warm climate, and even further warming, than the next ice age that will bring temperatures much colder than even today. The NOAA PaleoClimate Program shows us that when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, the earth was much warmer, the CO2 levels were 2 to 4 times higher, and coral reefs were much more expansive. The earth was so productive then that we are still using the oil, coal, and gas it generated.” “For most life in the oceans, warming means faster growth, reduced energy requirements to stay warm, lower winter mortalities, and wider ranges of distribution," he explained. "No one knows whether the Earth is going to keep warming, or since reaching a peak in 1998, we are at the start of a cooling cycle that will last several decades or more."

If you have strong faith, you're mind can't be changed. You look for evidence to support your predetermined conclusion.

If you choose the scientific, fact driven route, you welcome any additional data. You draw your conclusions from the evidence provided.

That's a big difference. If everyone thought the first way, we wouldn't get anywhere.

Also, "just because" is a gross oversimplification. But I imagine it makes the creationist viewpoint sound more legitimate...

Except for the fact that a certain religion everyone here hates considers the pursuit of knowledge through empirical study to be one of the highest forms of prayer. I wish people would get off this myth that science and religion must always be diemtrically opposed.

Except for the fact that a certain religion everyone here hates considers the pursuit of knowledge through empirical study to be one of the highest forms of prayer. I wish people would get off this myth that science and religion must always be diemtrically opposed.

Gee Osiris you're getting hate from both sides.

;)

WSS

I was mainly just talking about Christianity, because I was talking to OBF. I don't know enough about Islam. I wouldn't be surprised if you were more moderate in your religion than OBF in his. There are people that identify as Christians that think a young earth is ridiculous.

That being said, religion at its core is probably going against science at some point. You could think we need to study the world around us and that evolution is real, but then also think a guy named Jesus was resurrected. Idk what the Islam equivalent would be.

Liberals are the party of peace.

:D

WSS

Well let's not get carried away. In general, liberals have been far more welcoming to minorities than conservatives. I just disagree with the idea that science and faith must have an antagonistic relationship. This is a narrative pushed by both liberals and conservatives.

I was mainly just talking about Christianity, because I was talking to OBF. I don't know enough about Islam. I wouldn't be surprised if you were more moderate in your religion than OBF in his. There are people that identify as Christians that think a young earth is ridiculous.

That being said, religion at its core is probably going against science at some point. You could think we need to study the world around us and that evolution is real, but then also think a guy named Jesus was resurrected. Idk what the Islam equivalent would be.

Islam doesn't believe in the resurrection of Jesus(though he is revered a a prophet) but their are other stories that taken literally would not jive with science. Despite that, the encouragement in religious doctrine for Muslims to seek knowledge is so frequent that it is considered a religious duty. It is a sad irony that illiteracy rates in many Muslim countries is very high. One of the many reasons that bad interpretations (such as Wahhabism) have been able to gain traction in modern history.

Archived