THE BROWNS BOARD

New Team Name

The Gipper

Some species groups, such as the long-nosed armadillos, are widely distributed over the Americas, whereas others, such as the fairy armadillos, are concentrated in smaller ranges in South America. One species, the nine-banded armadillo, (Dasypus novemcinctus), is found in the United States, primarily in the south-central states (notably Texas), but with a range that extends as far east as South Carolina and Florida and as far north as Nebraska; and midwestern in Kansas;a they have been consistently expanding their range in North America over the last century due to a lack of natural predators, and have been found as far north as southern Illinois.[2]

Definitely think the Oklahoma Armadillos may have been a preferable name to "Thunder".

dude. STFU. it's old already.

i don't claim anything. the facts are the facts. yankee stadium is a 15 min train ride from the metro north station which is 2 blocks down the fucking hill from me and i rode it last night to see the concert.

where in billyfuck OK can you walk 2 blocks get on a train (no, not a wagon train) and go see thousands of different attractions, 5 star restaurants, #1 rated museums and parks and spend $8 on a bottle of water? yeah. exactly. i might go down once or twice a week now just to consult with old clients but does that mean i'm a NYC lover? no, i'm not.

ohio is my place of birth and where i learned loyalty towards my sports teams. high school: blue streaks. college: BGSU, toledo, cinci, kent state, akron, ohio and ohio state. hell cleveland state when they made it to the swseet sixteen years ago in basketball. pro: indians, cavs and browns. simple as that.

you and i went off topic on this thread a while back. you think OKC is the shit and i disagree. end of discussion.

oh yeah i said 20 miles from the city. my bad, it's 25. but i can make it in 15 minutes at 6 in the morn, drivin.....with no tumbleweeds or dead aardvarks.

do u live anywhere near Storm Mountain, NY???

Yes, lets get back to the true premise of this thread....teams that need a name change.

Here are some candidates:

A. As I said, any team that presents itself as a singularity:

Thunder

Heat

Lightning

Wild

Avalanche

Jazz

Magic

B. Teams that moved that kept the same name that should not have as it has nothing to do with their home area or where the alliteration is lost:

Utah Jazz

Memphis Grizzlies

New Orleans Hornets

Brooklyn Nets (OK for NY or NJ)

Indianapolis Colts.

Oddly, the LA Lakers don't bother me, even though there are few lakes in LA, it basically works.

And the opposite...the LA Clippers should call themselves the California Clippers....and they should move out of the Lakers shadow by going to play in Anaheim or back to San Diego.

C. Teams that duplicate other team names:

Yea, Sacramento Kings duplicates LA Kings. This is bad on two counts as they were the Kansas City Kings. KC was known for its "aristocratic" nicknames. The KC Monarchs were a Negro League team. Then there came The Royals...then the Kings, which worked alliteratively with KC, but not Sacramento. Plus, they have had bad karma with that name...so change it.

I don't know why Winnipeg had to bring back The Jets name. Is the Aerospace Industry big there? Leave The Jets to NY.

D. OK, maybe the politically incorrect teams like Redskins and Indians could use a name change. The Redskins name was chosen for that team by an avowed racist: George Preston Marshall. And if any name if offensive, it is that one. That would be like calling a team the Brownskins (which, perhaps, in a certain version of things that is exactly what the Browns name does....if you buy the "the teams was named after Joe the Brown Bomber Louis theory). Indians, Braves, Warriors etc. are not nearly as bad, but changing them wouldn't be so bad.

So, how do we fix some of these? Go with the following:

Some might be easy:

Instead of Minnesota Wild, just call the The Wilds

Instead of the Magic, call them The Magics (local HS here: Barberton are The Magics. It works)

Why must the Nets be the Brooklyn Nets. Brooklyn is still part of NYC, just call them the New York Nets. That is what they were to begin with.

The Memphis Grizzlies can become the Memphis Black Bears.

The Indiana Colts can become the Indiana Racers

Then we would be left with fixing the following:

N.O Hornets to ????

Utah Jazz to ????

Miami Heat to ????

Tampa Bay Lightning to ????

Sacramento Kings to ????

Oklahoma City Thunder to....Tumbleweeds?

Colorado Avalanche to ????

Winnipeg Jets to ????

Washington Redskins to ???

Maybe even Cleveland Indians to ????

Columbus Bluejackets to....Derechos????

N.O Hornets to ???? Katrina and the Waves

Utah Jazz to Mormans

Miami Heat to Flying Douchebags

Tampa Bay Lightning to Butt Pirates

Sacramento Kings to Ball Sacs

Oklahoma City Thunder to....Indian Givers

Colorado Avalanche to Clusterfucks

Winnipeg Jets to don't change!

Washington Redskins to don't change!

Maybe even Cleveland Indians to don't change!

Columbus Bluejackets to....Cameltoes

are you a band of gypsies or migrant workers?

well most places have people that actually have places to go and people to meet, not just drive around doing 35 mph on the hwy in the left lane with their blinker on for 8-12 hrs a day. my advice to you is stay there because you couldn't deal with what people here deal with every fucking day of their life. does it mean it sucks? no. would i rather be in ohio where i grew up? hell yes. but what we make in 4 months here we couldn't make in a year there. i know people that rent 2 level 4 bdr homes where i'm from that cost less than what we pay for a 2 bdrm apt. BUT i'm a 30 min train ride away from the biggest city in the world. not a block away from a pile of horseshit and the ginsu knife factory.

and to all your friends who couldn't take it in places like ny because of pricks like me: tell 'em to stay out the kitchen if they can't stand the heat.....unless of course you're making red beans and rice. taco.

Mik, NYC is not the biggest city in the world. I think it ranks 19th or something.

Yes, lets get back to the true premise of this thread....teams that need a name change.

Columbus Bluejackets to....Derechos????

Why would you want to change the name of the Bluejackets? A man with an appreciation of history such as you should recognize the significance and reason for the name Bluejackets.

Why would you want to change the name of the Bluejackets? A man with an appreciation of history such as you should recognize the significance and reason for the name Bluejackets.

I do understand the history. I just don't think it is all that good of a name for a sports team. I guess I believe that because it does come from a somewhat obscure historical situation that it is too subtle.

N.O Hornets to ???? Katrina and the Waves The Waves might actually be pretty good.

Utah Jazz to Mormans Politically incorrect. How about The Pioneers?

Miami Heat to Flying Douchebags though aptly descriptive, why not smething more indigeneous, like The Alligators or the Manatees

Tampa Bay Lightning to Butt Pirates Manatees would go good here as well

Sacramento Kings to Ball Sacs The Gold Diggers or The Bees (after its newspaper)

Oklahoma City Thunder to....Indian Givers (note, the land that is Oklahoma was "given" to the Indians after their enforced march along the Trail of Tears

Colorado Avalanche to Clusterfucks First off, why do they have to be the "Colorado" anythings. What is wrong with being the Denver Whatevers? Denver Mints?

Winnipeg Jets to don't change!

Washington Redskins to don't change!

Maybe even Cleveland Indians to don't change!

Columbus Bluejackets to....Cameltoes

I do understand the history. I just don't think it is all that good of a name for a sports team. I guess I believe that because it does come from a somewhat obscure historical situation that it is too subtle.

Fair enough! As a huge PENS fans I kind of like the name Bluejackets.

Archived