THE BROWNS BOARD

DQ Jackson Released

Zombo

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:(

Man I am not a big fan of this. I don't know what happened behind the scenes but I hope we tried to restructure his contract. It sucks to see him go, he was a great leader. Like some have said it is like losing Cribbs in a sense. I hope he finds success wherever he ends up.

They tried to restructure. In the end, DQ wanted more than they were willing to offer. Further, he wanted to "go somewhere with stability", no doubt he's looking to find a ring before he retires.

I wish him the best, just as I did with Dawson. He deserves a ring.

They tried to restructure. In the end, DQ wanted more than they were willing to offer. Further, he wanted to "go somewhere with stability", no doubt he's looking to find a ring before he retires.

I wish him the best, just as I did with Dawson. He deserves a ring.

Sorry, but from what I saw, he just wasn't that good and this is no surprise. Solid at times, but often out of place and out muscled.

And paid much more than he became worth.

If this team is going to do a 3-4 or even a hybrid we will definitely need 2 ILBs. Maybe one FA, one draft?

Sorry, but from what I saw, he just wasn't that good and this is no surprise. Solid at times, but often out of place and out muscled.

And paid much more than he became worth.

If this team is going to do a 3-4 or even a hybrid we will definitely need 2 ILBs. Maybe one FA, one draft?

Wasn't that good is a bit of a stretch. He was no world beater. He was solid, middle of the pack talent. He's a starter, nothing more, nothing less.

His production didn't match his contract, its a simple concept.

There is a possibility, however slight, that we could move back 2-4 spaces and end up taking Khalil Mack at 6-8.

This is heartbreaking but I seen it coming a mile away. Dq was a true browns player who loved playing for this team and gave it everything he had. I mean goddamn the guy overcame back to back freak pectoral injuries. He is a well respected guy and will easily find work elsewhere. This was a purely business release, as he was not truely worth the green backs he was making. It sucks they couldnt reach an agreement on a restructure though. He was a great leader for our defense and would have been great to have mentor a Borland or Bullough. I get we have a shit ton of cap space but this makes a ton of sense for the future and I cannot argue with it, though emotionally I hate the decision. It sucks when we lose one of true blue browns....

On the other side of this I'm against replacing him with a free agent in the long term. Maybe sign a veteran guy to help a rookie grow. Really we need two starting caliber ILB if were going with a 3 4 hybrid defense. I'm all in on Borland. I like that kid alot. Sign a good FA ilb to mentor some younger guys and start this year and draft Borland or Bullough and pick up a late round ILB to develop for down the road.

Wasn't that good is a bit of a stretch. He was no world beater. He was solid, middle of the pack talent. He's a starter, nothing more, nothing less.

His production didn't match his contract, its a simple concept.

There is a possibility, however slight, that we could move back 2-4 spaces and end up taking Khalil Mack at 6-8.

OK, I will accept your terminology. Middle of the pack, no world beater.

We now need a world beater.

OK, I will accept your terminology. Middle of the pack, no world beater.

We now need a world beater.

Agreed Gipper. Particularly if were sticking with this 3-4 hybrid we keep hearing about. We need a beastly young man who can blow up run plays and play a great zone in the middle of the field, freeing up our OLB and no.2 ILB for blitzes and allowing them to be just plain old aggressive.

This creates a Jupiter sized hole at MLB.

Again. It's not like were releasing Dick Butkus. DQ was great for Cleveland but lets be honest. He was just too damn slow,Always hurt and just couldnt move laterally with consistent speed on a consistent basis. Great team guy and a class act. But good move by the FO to move on.

...that is the part that pisses me off. We have so much damn cap room and we keep guys that should be cut and let walk the guys we should keep. Why create a hole where there isn't one. We will have to now find a guy that can fit the bill and we'll still have to pay him close to what DQ probably wanted. In the end how much are we really saving?

This creates a Jupiter sized hole at MLB.

This

All of you are crazy, watch tape...he was taking on responsibilites for both ILB postions. The dude is still a beast. His closing speed is eye opening. The games I went to I saw some Browns jersey flash through the O line and I had to wait for the replay to see who it was cause he went through so quick. After awhile I just got used to his field speed and could pick him out in the box every time cause he was moving faster than anyone else. OUtmuscled? Please....teams ran right at him so that he had to face up with the blocker. In those situations all you can do is hold up the block and rely on your other ILB to do his job cause he's the free one that HAS to make the play. Suffice to say we didn't have another good ILB presence. This is A HUGE FUCKING LOSS for the Browns defense. It's probably true that he wanted out though so we couldn't overpay him for him to stay....but fucking please all of you stop with this "he's over the hill" bullshit. If he goes to a team with another decent ILB he's going to put up pro bowl numbers for a couple years still, and he knows that which is why he wanted out now.

This

All of you are crazy, watch tape...he was taking on responsibilites for both ILB postions. The dude is still a beast. His closing speed is eye opening. The games I went to I saw some Browns jersey flash through the O line and I had to wait for the replay to see who it was cause he went through so quick. After awhile I just got used to his field speed and could pick him out in the box every time cause he was moving faster than anyone else. OUtmuscled? Please....teams ran right at him so that he had to face up with the blocker. In those situations all you can do is hold up the block and rely on your other ILB to do his job cause he's the free one that HAS to make the play. Suffice to say we didn't have another good ILB presence. This is A HUGE FUCKING LOSS for the Browns defense. It's probably true that he wanted out though so we couldn't overpay him for him to stay....but fucking please all of you stop with this "he's over the hill" bullshit. If he goes to a team with another decent ILB he's going to put up pro bowl numbers for a couple years still, and he knows that which is why he wanted out now.

Yes DQ was sooo great covering the middle of the field seeing how teams just marched down the field on us...he was a nice run stopper and not much more...take off the rose tinted glasses.

...that is the part that pisses me off. We have so much damn cap room and we keep guys that should be cut and let walk the guys we should keep. Why create a hole where there isn't one. We will have to now find a guy that can fit the bill and we'll still have to pay him close to what DQ probably wanted. In the end how much are we really saving?

more of this^^^ Hopefully he's gone cause he wanted to and not because the Browns were Joos with the checkbook. It would have been awesome to have DQ playing next to one of these guys like Mack or Mosley, this is how the Steelers do it, why can't we learn from this? The Steelers never let go of their veteran talent until the next wave has been brought up.

Archived