THE BROWNS BOARD

Rank The Afc North Draft

OSU Kid

Well we drafted our starting rb,qb,rt,og

Johnson and acho will be special teams also

And added dl depth and a decent db to compete,

Also we added Smelley balls and he will be our starting fb by week 1. So we will have 5 rookies starting this yr. So how do you decide if we had a better draft or not.

I understand what he is saying: That a team that has to have 5 rookies starting must be a crappy team. That would be a proper assessment where the Browns are concerned.

The part that he doesn't do is to do any self reflection: The Steelers too need about 5 of their rookies to start. So, that team, despite its record, had serious deficiencies.

Both team filled needs. How well remains to be seen.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

collectively, the AFCN had by far, the best drafts. besides the adams pick, i thought the stools had a great draft. as per usual, taking guys with high upsides that need coaching up. i normally don ever make player predictions.....but something about adams strikes me as strange. he basically went crawling back to colbert, begging for a chance. he has his motivation to work hard now, but if he's as lazy as reported, we'll have a weak point on that line to attack.

maybe they'll play him at RT at first....let sheard embarrass him a bit.

I understand what he is saying: That a team that has to have 5 rookies starting must be a crappy team. That would be a proper assessment where the Browns are concerned.

The part that he doesn't do is to do any self reflection: The Steelers too need about 5 of their rookies to start. So, that team, despite its record, had serious deficiencies.

Both team filled needs. How well remains to be seen.

As I said several time I didn't come out of hiding to sh.it on the Browns draft. I was simply reading and read the OP assessment and thought it was ridiculous so I commented. DeCastro will start and Adams may start. I want Adams to start because I think he's a tremendous talent that fell because of a "weed problem" the same problem Marvel Smith had when we drafted him and he was an anchor on the left side of our line for a long time. Do you fellas realize what Adams did TO get drafted by the Steelers? (For those calling the kid lazy and of substandard character)

He was mortified about lying about his failed drug test and told the Steelers he wanted a face to face. He drove to the Steeler facility for a face to face and Colbert and Tomlin told him he was off their draft board. He was then told that if he wanted back on the draft board he was going to have to meet certain criteria to get back on the board. He met all the criteria AND agreed to defer his signing bonus for 18 months. During those 18 months he'll receive drug tests to ensure he's clean. He went out of his way to be drafted by the team he wanted to go to most and showed some real character in the process. He's one one of 3 tackles in the draft capable of truly playing the left tackle position and there are a few prominent analysts that believe he could end up being the best tackle in the draft.

Sooo to get back to what I was saying above DeCastro starts immediately (We did cut Kemo after all) and Adams may start. Spence will play special teams and Alameda certainly won't start. I imagine Rainey will also roll special teams both ways AND be used in the same capacity of McCluster. The Steelers addressed needs BUT still drafted BPA as they always do. The Steelers have never hit a "rebuilding" point and have addressed all their supposed "problem areas" before they became problems.

The Browns definitely had a few head scratch worthy picks and not addressing the wide receiver position earlier was one of them. If your team has 13 draft picks the draft should have more of an impact. It's precisely why the Browns are routinely being ranked 4th for draft grades across the board. They made a great pick in Richardson and then sh.it the bed for the next 4 picks. They then had a bunch of solid picks AFTER Benjamin. They freaked out when they selected Weeden because they wanted a WR and the biggies were flying off the board. You can't like that Weeden will be in his early 30's when his first contract expires mileage or not. You then draft Schwartz over Glenn AND Martin and continue to ignore wr. Hughes was also a terrible pick and Benjamin was a "Oh we need a WR pick" when it was too late. I loved the Acho/Winn and Wade selections and Winn was labeled as a steal of a deal by a lot of outlets.

The Browns definitely had a few head scratch worthy picks and not addressing the wide receiver position earlier was one of them. If your team has 13 draft picks the draft should have more of an impact.

yeah, ya woulda thought so.

everyone bitched about our receiving corp and how bad they were and it was a top need in the draft and we walk away with who??? and we let a franchise OL slip to our arch nemesis and draft kelly fuckin holcomb?

GTFO.

yeah, ya woulda thought so.

everyone bitched about our receiving corp and how bad they were and it was a top need in the draft and we walk away with who??? and we let a franchise OL slip to our arch nemesis and draft kelly fuckin holcomb?

GTFO.

See my post above.

As I said several time I didn't come out of hiding to sh.it on the Browns draft. I was simply reading and read the OP assessment and thought it was ridiculous so I commented. DeCastro will start and Adams may start. I want Adams to start because I think he's a tremendous talent that fell because of a "weed problem" the same problem Marvel Smith had when we drafted him and he was an anchor on the left side of our line for a long time. Do you fellas realize what Adams did TO get drafted by the Steelers? (For those calling the kid lazy and of substandard character)

He was mortified about lying about his failed drug test and told the Steelers he wanted a face to face. He drove to the Steeler facility for a face to face and Colbert and Tomlin told him he was off their draft board. He was then told that if he wanted back on the draft board he was going to have to meet certain criteria to get back on the board. He met all the criteria AND agreed to defer his signing bonus for 18 months. During those 18 months he'll receive drug tests to ensure he's clean. He went out of his way to be drafted by the team he wanted to go to most and showed some real character in the process. He's one one of 3 tackles in the draft capable of truly playing the left tackle position and there are a few prominent analysts that believe he could end up being the best tackle in the draft.

Sooo to get back to what I was saying above DeCastro starts immediately (We did cut Kemo after all) and Adams may start. Spence will play special teams and Alameda certainly won't start. I imagine Rainey will also roll special teams both ways AND be used in the same capacity of McCluster. The Steelers addressed needs BUT still drafted BPA as they always do. The Steelers have never hit a "rebuilding" point and have addressed all their supposed "problem areas" before they became problems.

The Browns definitely had a few head scratch worthy picks and not addressing the wide receiver position earlier was one of them.

The Browns had big, big holes to fill in a lot of places. With their picks they got the best RB in the draft, the best pure RT in the draft. They got a QB everyone said they needed.

If the WR spot was the ONLY thing they needed, they would have addressed it.

What they did do with that spot is to address the very thing that was wrong with it for them: lack of speed. And Though this Benjamin may not have graded out as the very best WR in the draft....he was the fastest WR in the draft. (or among the top 2 perhaps). And that is they the DID need: speed. They didn't have anyone to go long for 30-40 yard and run under a throw. Now they do.

So, I guess I am saying is that you are wrong: they addressed when they could and in the fashion that was most appropriate for them to do so.

If your team has 13 draft picks the draft should have more of an impact. It's precisely why the Browns are routinely being ranked 4th for draft grades across the board. They made a great pick in Richardson and then sh.it the bed for the next 4 picks. They then had a bunch of solid picks AFTER Benjamin. They freaked out when they selected Weeden because they wanted a WR and the biggies were flying off the board. You can't like that Weeden will be in his early 30's when his first contract expires mileage or not. You then draft Schwartz over Glenn AND Martin and continue to ignore wr.

If the Browns needed a LT, or if OG was their priority, then those two might have been considered. They have the best LT in the league. They needed a RT. Schwartz was better at that position.

If you are going to comment, do it from a position of knowledge...not from lack of it.

Hughes was also a terrible pick

How the fuck do you know? For all you and I know he may make the Hall of Fame one day.

The Browns needed a run stopper. All indications are this guy was one of the best run stoppers in the draft.

Again, you have no freeking clue of what the Browns needed. And as between Heckert's capabilities of evaluating talent and yours, I will take Heckert's, because He knows jack and you know shit.

and Benjamin was a "Oh we need a WR pick" when it was too late.

Where was Mike Wallace picked? Like 4th round, right? This guy is faster than Wallace. They picked the best they thought they could. They needed speed. You need speed to get your brain moving, because right now its not.

I loved the Acho/Winn and Wade selections and Winn was labeled as a steal of a deal by a lot of outlets.

Let's hope so.

A foolish and immature rant. I assure you, chum, I'm no bandwagon come-lately type. I've probably been watching a lot longer than you have, son.

Pittsburgh is a football town "because the other teams suck"? Uh tell that to the Pens who won it all a few short years ago. No, Pittsburgh is, and always has been a football town because it IS football. The pro game was first played in Western PA. just for starters. And quite the opposite -- Pittsburgh fans were all into the Steelers for the decades when they totally sucked, before the '70s. I know, because my own relatives held tickets. No championships, just lots of stories of Bullet Bill and Ernie. Sorry, your wishful little theory won't wash.

Stereotyping sucks -- like you.

But, then their interest waned in the 80s when you didn't have a winner...and they had crowds of 35-40K.

Peetown is as big a hockey town as Cleveland is a basketballtown: when they have a winner, great. When they don't...so-so.

(I agree that Pitt seems like a football town...though I do wonder how they would do if they had years of extended losing)

I'm a bit of a draft nerd and my primary Steeler board is VERY, VERY mock draft heavy leading in to the draft. We also have a few scouts so I read up plenty on a TON of prospects especially those the Steelers may be interested so it's not like I'm pulling stuff from my ass. Schwartz may be the best "Pure RT" in the draft but that's like saying he's the second cutest bridesmaid. A left tackle is going to be able to play right tackle and passing on Glenn and Martin was a mistake by the Browns if they wanted to go o-line. Glenn CAN play RT and Martin certainly can as well and both were players with first or second round grades that fell. Either way Schwartz isn't a bum he just wasn't a great pick ESPECIALLY when they Browns need a WR and there were plenty on the board when he was selected. John Hughes was mocked in SEVERAL prominent mock drafts in the 7th round. I saw him on at least 10 occasions ranked in the 250 or worse range and he was drafted in what the 3rd round? Benjamin was also taken higher than he should have been and Mike Wallace is arguably one of the fastest players in the NFL. I guess Benjamin is immediately Mike Wallace. Nevermind the highest I saw him ranked on the various pre-draft big boards was in the 170's. Wallace was also a 3rd round selection.

AND my opinion is based on a lot of reading leading up to the draft. I haven't watched tape on all these guys but from what I've read the Browns reached on everything from round 1 with Weeden all the way through Benjamin. It's also why the Browns draft is getting C's across the board. If not for Richardson and some late round gems like Winn it would be a pretty poor draft considering the Browns had 13! draft picks with two in the first round. You should have had a Bengal type draft and the Browns floundered.

Chew on this one a bit as well.

McCoy, Julio Jones and Richardon OR Weeden, Little, Richardson. The Browns reached for Weeden when they needed a receiver. Holmgren didn't expect the Titans to draft Jeffery and when they did you got Weeden. Who will be 33 when his first contract expires.

But, then their interest waned in the 80s when you didn't have a winner...and they had crowds of 35-40K.

Peetown is as big a hockey town as Cleveland is a basketballtown: when they have a winner, great. When they don't...so-so.

(I agree that Pitt seems like a football town...though I do wonder how they would do if they had years of extended losing)

When should we expect the losing to begin? The Steelers have drafted in ridiculous fashion since Colbert was in the front office and they groom starters behind current starters. It's a formula that works for good reason.

As debated ad nauseum some years ago here, the Steelers actually filled a greater percentage of stadium seats during their down '80s years than Cleveland did their stadium during the glory Kosar era. Something to chew on...

Liar, Liar, fucking pants on fire. Three Rivers stadium capacity: 59K. when they had 40K it was filled to about two thirds (67%)

Cleveland Muni Stadium: capacity: 78,000. I would venture there was hardly ever a game that did not have at least 75,000 in attendance.

I HAVE done the research. I HAVE documented it.

I'm a bit of a draft nerd and my primary Steeler board is VERY, VERY mock draft heavy leading in to the draft. We also have a few scouts so I read up plenty on a TON of prospects especially those the Steelers may be interested so it's not like I'm pulling stuff from my ass. Schwartz may be the best "Pure RT" in the draft but that's like saying he's the second cutest bridesmaid. A left tackle is going to be able to play right tackle and passing on Glenn and Martin was a mistake by the Browns if they wanted to go o-line. Glenn CAN play RT and Martin certainly can as well and both were players with first or second round grades that fell. Either way Schwartz isn't a bum he just wasn't a great pick ESPECIALLY when they Browns need a WR and there were plenty on the board when he was selected. John Hughes was mocked in SEVERAL prominent mock drafts in the 7th round. I saw him on at least 10 occasions ranked in the 250 or worse range and he was drafted in what the 3rd round? Benjamin was also taken higher than he should have been and Mike Wallace is arguably one of the fastest players in the NFL. I guess Benjamin is immediately Mike Wallace. Nevermind the highest I saw him ranked on the various pre-draft big boards was in the 170's. Wallace was also a 3rd round selection.

No problem with the Schwartz pick. I was thinking J. Martin in the weeks leading up to the draft- and I comfortable finding more out about Schwartz that he can be every bit as good if not better. Benjamin is knocked as a speed track guy that plays football- I actually see some decent hands in some of the tape that I saw. At the very least he is a great special teamer- what more can you ask for in the 4th round. I know WR is not fixed, (or was it???Richardson, Weeden) but it wasn't our only need. Having said that, I would have much rather drafted TY Hilton over Benjamin instead of Hughes and used the 1st 4th round pick on a Corner. FYI T. Rich is a draft. I can't wait to actually see a superstar playmaker in a Browns uniform. I'm proud that the Browns FO didn't giving into the this is not a RB League- true...if you don't have an elite back.

AND my opinion is based on a lot of reading leading up to the draft. I haven't watched tape on all these guys but from what I've read the Browns reached on everything from round 1 with Weeden all the way through Benjamin. It's also why the Browns draft is getting C's across the board. If not for Richardson and some late round gems like Winn it would be a pretty poor draft considering the Browns had 13! draft picks with two in the first round. You should have had a Bengal type draft and the Browns floundered.

McCoy, Julio Jones and Richardon OR Weeden, Little, Richardson. The Browns reached for Weeden when they needed a receiver. Holmgren didn't expect the Titans to draft Jeffery and when they did you got Weeden. Who will be 33 when his first contract expires.

That's too easy to use that comparison- we also have a young promising DT and a starting fullback (not sold on him though). I'll take Jones over Little, but I'd probably think twice about it if you consider Little and Taylor or Jones. Here's what I'm looking at with Weeden...If he can elude pressure as well as McCoy this pick Weeden at #22 is fine by me. McCoy was very good at feeling pressure and making plays (although they weren't big plays) but I think he also put himself in that position quite a bit by not processing defensive schemes quickly enough. There are people on here that are really down on last years oline- go back and watch last years sacks- I would put 80% of them on Colt. That's not to say he wouldn't get better at it. All else considered- Weeden's arm is legit the dumb INTs worry me.

I'm a bit of a draft nerd and my primary Steeler board is VERY, VERY mock draft heavy leading in to the draft. We also have a few scouts so I read up plenty on a TON of prospects especially those the Steelers may be interested so it's not like I'm pulling stuff from my ass. Schwartz may be the best "Pure RT" in the draft but that's like saying he's the second cutest bridesmaid. A left tackle is going to be able to play right tackle and passing on Glenn and Martin was a mistake by the Browns if they wanted to go o-line.

Bullshit. You want to put a square peg into a round hole.

Glenn CAN play RT

I CAN play the flute....even though I have never picked one up in my life. And that is what you ar doing: playing the flute. The violin would perhaps be more apt.

Your analogy would be like saying: Josh Cribbs CAN play QB. Why don't we put him in there full time.

and Martin certainly can as well and both were players with first or second round grades that fell. Either way Schwartz isn't a bum he just wasn't a great pick ESPECIALLY when they Browns need a WR and there were plenty on the board when he was selected. John Hughes was mocked in SEVERAL prominent mock drafts in the 7th round.

And Jamarcus Russell was the #1 best player available his year, and Tom Brady was maybe only a 6th 7th round QB.

At this point, who gives a shit where they were drafted. It is whether or not they can play.

I saw him on at least 10 occasions ranked in the 250 or worse range and he was drafted in what the 3rd round? Benjamin was also taken higher than he should have been and Mike Wallace is arguably one of the fastest players in the NFL. I guess Benjamin is immediately Mike Wallace. Nevermind the highest I saw him ranked on the various pre-draft big boards was in the 170's. Wallace was also a 3rd round selection.

And maybe Wallace was only considered a 6th-7th round value when he was drafted. Who knows, I don't follow that shit that close.

Maybe Benjamin is the second coming of Bob Hayes HOF taken in late round. Or Ray Berry #232 overall.

What he is is fast. The Browns needed fast. They got the fastest there was. They got what they aimed for an what they needed. Who gives a shit what your nerdy draft mocks said.

Chew on this: It don't fuking matter. It is how well they perform on the field that matters. The Browns got tough, fast, talented players. No one will be asking Benjamin's draft position when he is flying by your old, worn out DBs.

And who gives a shit about his age? In case you hadn't noticed, it would be a minor miracle for a Browns QB to go 4-5 years. I hope we get 4-5 years out of this guys contract and that the Browns will be wanting to keep him...as a 33 year old QB. That means he will be doing something that hasn/t been done since BK (or at least Tim Couch)...lasted more than a year and a half as the Browns starting QB.

When should we expect the losing to begin? The Steelers have drafted in ridiculous fashion since Colbert was in the front office and they groom starters behind current starters. It's a formula that works for good reason.

Yes, the point is noted. The Steelers have done well drafting. (When did this "Colbert" start for yinz?)

In case you haven't been paying attention (and it seems that your attention span is selective), we have all been bitching here for years about the poor talent evaluation capabilities of the guys running the Browns...from Dwight Clark to Butch Davis to Phil Savage to Kokinis to Mangini etc.

The point is: when the losing does start, the rats will scatter. I doubt that we will see or hear from you.

Though based on what I hear you (and others) saying....the age of the Bengal Tiger may be upon us.

You are touting the Bengals draft...as have others...and prior drafts...and the way they have gone about their business under the new CBA.

Has the Bengal hegemony begun?

Gipper the Steelers wouldn't have drafted Wallace in the 3rd round unless he graded in the 3rd round OR higher. Obviously not every pick pans out but I DO follow things closely as does my primary message board. The Browns reached on every pick after Richardson.

Yes, the point is noted. The Steelers have done well drafting. (When did this "Colbert" start for yinz?)

In case you haven't been paying attention (and it seems that your attention span is selective), we have all been bitching here for years about the poor talent evaluation capabilities of the guys running the Browns...from Dwight Clark to Butch Davis to Phil Savage to Kokinis to Mangini etc.

The point is: when the losing does start, the rats will scatter. I doubt that we will see or hear from you.

Though based on what I hear you (and others) saying....the age of the Bengal Tiger may be upon us.

You are touting the Bengals draft...as have others...and prior drafts...and the way they have gone about their business under the new CBA.

Has the Bengal hegemony begun?

The Bengals were legit last season but that doesn't put them at the top of the AFC North. They're certainly now making strides to be considered in that light. Hell even the Browns had the 10th best defense in the league last season. The AFC North is the toughest division in football and the Browns are doing what they can to improve as well. They should have hit on more picks is my point. Colbert started with the Steelers in 2000.

Gipper the Steelers wouldn't have drafted Wallace in the 3rd round unless he graded in the 3rd round OR higher. Obviously not every pick pans out but I DO follow things closely as does my primary message board. The Browns reached on every pick after Richardson.

Well, who is doing the grading? There are hundreds of "graders" out there with different opinions. Every NFL team with a professional scouting organization behind them has more info at their disposal than even say, Todd McShay or Mel Kiper

The only graders that matter are the ones with the red pen.

In this case, Heckert was the grader, he held the red pen, and he has proven over the years to be a pretty damn good grader.

I mean, my old granny, if I had one alive, could be a grader. That is all irrelevent.

Guys that do nothing but watch tape (Mayock) or guys that USED to hold the "red pen" like Charlie Casserly, Bill Polian and the various scouts that have outlets of their own. The Browns did not have a great draft considering WHERE they picked and how many picks they had and that's my point.

That is exactly what I feel about our draft. Also the thing that makes it more difficult for us than for them is that:

Steelers - Already have a good team filled with good players. They need to draft to replenish their aging talent. If any of their drafts are a bust, they have next year's draft to try again cos they already have starter quality in their roster and are searching for the future.

Browns - We need talent cos we have minimal. Hitting on our draft picks will help us become better and missing on our draft picks will mean a wasted year. It is more important for us to hit on our picks than the Steelers.

I think the Bengals had the best draft in the AFC North.

That is exactly what I feel about our draft. Also the thing that makes it more difficult for us than for them is that:

Steelers - Already have a good team filled with good players. They need to draft to replenish their aging talent. If any of their drafts are a bust, they have next year's draft to try again cos they already have starter quality in their roster and are searching for the future.

Browns - We need talent cos we have minimal. Hitting on our draft picks will help us become better and missing on our draft picks will mean a wasted year. It is more important for us to hit on our picks than the Steelers.

I think the Bengals had the best draft in the AFC North.

The Bengals also had a lot of picks but yes they did have a tremendous draft. It's the kind of draft the Browns SHOULD have had with 13 selections. I do think the Browns hit on some guys late, specifically Winn and Acho but Weeden, Schwartz and Hughes were head scratchers. I do think Schwartz will be a good pro but you don't pass on Martin AND Glenn if you're hell bent on going o-line but above all else you draft a DAMN receiver.

In terms of attendance at 3 Rivers during the hieght of the Steelers ineptitude during the 1980's, with a design capacity of 59,492.

vs. Indy 55,279

vs. Hou 58,782

vs. Cin 59,541

vs. StL 56,478

vs. Clev 51,976

vs. Wash 59,293

vs. Den 56,797

vs. Buff 35,953

vs. Den 57,305

vs. Clev 57,327

vs. NE 54,743

vs. Cin 50,815

vs. GB 52,831

vs. Hou 49,724

vs. Det 45,042

vs. KC 47,150

vs. SF 55,735

(players strike affected season, league attendance down afterwards)

vs. Indy 34,627

vs. Cin 53,692

vs. Hou 56,177

vs. NO 47,896

vs. Sea 48,881

vs. Clev 56,394

However, to my knowledge, even though attendance was down the stadium was sold out to capacity except immediately following the strike.

ok...you've run your opinion into the ground. people tell you things, and you yuck it up. we didn't have a good draft because people that either were not good enough to be employed, or were fired in the NFL, said they had these people graded as such. since we took the players we wanted earlier, it wasn't a good draft. we get it....

it has nothing to do with how those picks addressed needs. its a subjective grade based on one's opinion of where a player went to where one thought he should have went. many times, people are wrong an grade lower to save face and maintain their pride....because they watch tape and think theyre a fucking expert.

"see, the writers at a nation newspaper, that focuses on US and world news, politics, money, life, and sports, think we had the best draft!"

so here ya go....

The sporting news, ya know...a dedicated sports media outlet

hmmm...browns....B+

stool....a B...

here's where you call it a rag, discredit the writer and completely miss the point.

ok...you've run your opinion into the ground. people tell you things, and you yuck it up. we didn't have a good draft because people that either were not good enough to be employed, or were fired in the NFL, said they had these people graded as such. since we took the players we wanted earlier, it wasn't a good draft. we get it....

it has nothing to do with how those picks addressed needs. its a subjective grade based on one's opinion of where a player went to where one thought he should have went. many times, people are wrong an grade lower to save face and maintain their pride....because they watch tape and think theyre a fucking expert.

"see, the writers at a nation newspaper, that focuses on US and world news, politics, money, life, and sports, think we had the best draft!"

so here ya go....

The sporting news, ya know...a dedicated sports media outlet

hmmm...browns....B+

stool....a B...

here's where you call it a rag, discredit the writer and completely miss the point.

Why did you link last years draft? The Browns certainly had a solid draft last season. We're talking THIS years draft. *confused*

EDIT: Although even with last year the Steelers hit big with Gilbert, Heyward played well in his spot starts and the young corners were the first corners in a LONG TIME to get on the field as rookies. Both are expected to be big contributors this season. We also drafted much later. (IF! i had to make an argument lol :) ) The Browns just should have had a stronger draft with 13 packs. I certainly believe they're improved but they could be MUCH improved. YET the analysts/scouts aren't always right...we won't know until the players hit the field.

Why did you link last years draft? The Browns certainly had a solid draft last season. We're talking THIS years draft. *confused*

EDIT: Although even with last year the Steelers hit big with Gilbert, Heyward played well in his spot starts and the young corners were the first corners in a LONG TIME to get on the field as rookies. Both are expected to be big contributors this season. We also drafted much later. (IF! i had to make an argument lol :) ) The Browns just should have had a stronger draft with 13 packs. I certainly believe they're improved but they could be MUCH improved. YET the analysts/scouts aren't always right...we won't know until the players hit the field.

So? You are finally just now figuring it out?

So? You are finally just now figuring it out?

Gipp It's my attempt at playing "nice". The scounts/analysts have a pretty good idea, especially the guys that watch endless amounts of tape like Mayock. They certainly don't always get it right but they're damn close on a lot of guys BECAUSE the tape doesn't lie. "The big eye in the sky, don't lie".

Gipp It's my attempt at playing "nice". The scounts/analysts have a pretty good idea, especially the guys that watch endless amounts of tape like Mayock. They certainly don't always get it right but they're damn close on a lot of guys BECAUSE the tape doesn't lie. "The big eye in the sky, don't lie".

Tron,

The draft is a big crap shoot. Kiper, McShay and Mayock have been wrong before and will be wrong again. Their analyses are like weather reports, they only tell you when they were right. Most fans feel pretty good about the players their teams drafted and all fans hope their rivals, arch-rivals and/or psuedo-rivals drafted poorly. The Browns undoubtedly hit on a few and missed on others, same with the Steelers. Even if the Steelers had the best draft in the NFL EVER, do you really expect Brownies to sing praises to our draft picks.

Really the only questionable draft pick by the Browns was Weeden at #22, because it doesn't seem plausible that anyone would've taken him before #37. That doesn't mean Weeden won't be a superstar for the Browns, that just means they may have had a better chance at getting another superstar, even though they feel "the Schwartz is strong with them." Can you imagine how scary the Browns run-game would've been if they selected DeCastro at #22? Selecting Weeden at #22 helped the Steelers with their draft, period. Next thing you know they'll be demanding thanks for that! Gaurd was a bigger position of need for us, and DeCastro was a better prospect at his position than Hightower was at inside linebacker.

Tron,

The draft is a big crap shoot. Kiper, McShay and Mayock have been wrong before and will be wrong again. Their analyses are like weather reports, they only tell you when they were right. Most fans feel pretty good about the players their teams drafted and all fans hope their rivals, arch-rivals and/or psuedo-rivals drafted poorly. The Browns undoubtedly hit on a few and missed on others, same with the Steelers. Even if the Steelers had the best draft in the NFL EVER, do you really expect Brownies to sing praises to our draft picks.

I will praise the Steelers for their 1974 draft. Hard to argue with 4 Hall of Famers. (roids :P )

Really the only questionable draft pick by the Browns was Weeden at #22, because it doesn't seem plausible that anyone would've taken him before #37.

Much is plausible. More was possible. Last year at least 3 QBs went in the first round that many thought should have gone 2d or 3rd round. With the premium set on QBs now, it is no surprise that the player considered to be the third best available (given Tannehill's "unreadiness) would go in the first round.

That doesn't mean Weeden won't be a superstar for the Browns, that just means they may have had a better chance at getting another superstar, even though they feel "the Schwartz is strong with them." Can you imagine how scary the Browns run-game would've been if they selected DeCastro at #22? Selecting Weeden at #22 helped the Steelers with their draft, period. Next thing you know they'll be demanding thanks for that! Gaurd was a bigger position of need for us, and DeCastro was a better prospect at his position than Hightower was at inside linebacker.

Tron,

Really the only questionable draft pick by the Browns was Weeden at #22, because it doesn't seem plausible that anyone would've taken him before #37. That doesn't mean Weeden won't be a superstar for the Browns, that just means they may have had a better chance at getting another superstar, even though they feel "the Schwartz is strong with them." Can you imagine how scary the Browns run-game would've been if they selected DeCastro at #22? Selecting Weeden at #22 helped the Steelers with their draft, period. Next thing you know they'll be demanding thanks for that! Gaurd was a bigger position of need for us, and DeCastro was a better prospect at his position than Hightower was at inside linebacker.

Hughes was a huge reach and because they reached for Hughes (Winn is better and was drafted much later) they were forced to draft a guy like Benjamin at WR. Mayock IMO also stands well about Kiper and McShay but you aren't wrong in that they've been wrong before. I still can't believe we landed DeCastro and Adams without moving up. The Steelers DID however try and move up for DeCastro once the free fall really got underway but they couldn't find a trade suitor.

Hughes was a huge reach and because they reached for Hughes (Winn is better and was drafted much later) they were forced to draft a guy like Benjamin at WR. Mayock IMO also stands well about Kiper and McShay but you aren't wrong in that they've been wrong before. I still can't believe we landed DeCastro and Adams without moving up. The Steelers DID however try and move up for DeCastro once the free fall really got underway but they couldn't find a trade suitor.

If Hughes is rolling over Castro and putting Steeler RBs down like little bitches with no gains or a loss....then it will by no means be a "reach".

And Mel Kiper had Winn as a third round rating, and they got him in what? the 6th/7th round?

So don't worry about the fact that maybe the Browns took what you think was a 6th round rater and got him in the third when they got a third round rater and got him in the 6th round.

It all works out.

(Browns best DT, Aytaba Rubin was a 6th rounder)

And who is to say the Browns were "forced" to take Benjamin?

He was the fastest WR in this draft, more or less, (that is what I hear, I am not privy to every single 40 time). It seems to me that he fit their need exactly.

On the other side of the ball the Browns have a big, powerful, strong, over the middle type WR in Greg Little. What they didn't have was up top speed. That is what they needed first and foremost. That is what they got with Benjamin. The Steelers ain't go no DBs that can keep up with him.

Hughes was a huge reach, but the rumor mill is that the Saints who selected 2 picks later were keen on selecting him. There were other teams that were much higher on Hughes that waiting for the 5/6 round.

Archived