The Eastland Inn

The Gipper

I had to take my son to the airport Sunday to fly back to his job in Minnesota. He was leaving Sunday PM and we wanted to grab a bite to eat before dropping him off so I said I know the perfect place not too far from the Airport. Its about 4:30-5:00 and I head over the The Eastland Inn, our regular Saturday haunt for our Browns Board Tailgates. I told him it was a friendly place with good food...which it is.

But we get there and it is closed, and I think WTF? A guy poked his nose through the window and said, yes, we are Closed on Sundays.

Can I assume that is just offseason?

We went elsewhere in downtown Berea, Mike's Grille I think.

Since I live 35-40 miles away I don't get there that often. Missed opportunity.

Yes, the Eastland has always been closed on Sunday. New owners there now, but I don't think there has ever been a liquor license for that place on Sundays.

Mike's Bar & grill is a nice spot too, I'm sure you liked it.

Yes, the Eastland has always been closed on Sunday. New owners there now, but I don't think there has ever been a liquor license for that place on Sundays.

Mike's Bar & grill is a nice spot too, I'm sure you liked it.

Is it closed on Sundays even in football season?

Mike's was fine....though at first we were going to go to like a brew pub down the street. While it was busy, there were plenty of tables open....but the staff at that place basically ignored the people standing in line for a seat, so we left, since my son had to catch a plane we couldn't wait around all day.

Is it closed on Sundays even in football season?

Mike's was fine....though at first we were going to go to like a brew pub down the street. While it was busy, there were plenty of tables open....but the staff at that place basically ignored the people standing in line for a seat, so we left, since my son had to catch a plane we couldn't wait around all day.

Yes, like I said I'm certain they don't have a Sunday license.

Weird about Mike's, that's my favorite in downtown Berea.

Yes, like I said I'm certain they don't have a Sunday license.

Weird about Mike's, that's my favorite in downtown Berea.

No, Mike's was the place we went to eat after we couldn't get seated at the other place. I can't recall the name of that place. It was on the corner right by the square. Mike's is a block or two north of there.

No, Mike's was the place we went to eat after we couldn't get seated at the other place. I can't recall the name of that place. It was on the corner right by the square. Mike's is a block or two north of there.

That place is called the Cornerstone- great beer in there, food good as well.

Seems strange to me as well, but I have never tried to go there on a Sunday. Last year I started heading a little further south to Medina and skipped Middleburgh Heights. There is a Wild Wings and full service Brown Derby, both inside a 100 yard walk from the hotel, but in MVH my Sunday spot was the Brown Derby Roadhouse for a simple house salad and 2 draft beers.

I now like the Medina option because I do like not having to drive back to my room. Saturday night is wings and beer while watching college football at Bdubs. Sunday is the Brown Derby for a Martini or two, prime rib and a glass of Cab.

Medina is pushing out toward my direction Russ. (Wadsworth) You are talking about I-71 and Rt. 18. I have spent a little time at both the BW3 and that Brown Derby. Let me know sometime when you are out there and I would be glad to meet up with you.

That is my go to spot after games this year. I may not spend every Saturday night there. In an effort to cut a few expenses I am looking to leave out on Saturday mornings at least a few times and spend the night in Columbus. I can easily be in Columbus by 2PM which gives me plenty of time to catch the best college games that day. Not leaving on Friday afternoon so I can arrive in Cleveland on Saturday is going to save $125 a trip minimum by the time you add up hotel and meal.

I have been making it a point of not getting to the tailgates/bars until around 9:30-10 on Sundays. I still wake up at 5-6 so I end up sitting around the room for 3-4 hours. I figure driving up from Columbus is a good way to kill the better portion of that time and well worth the money saved.

That is my go to spot after games this year. I may not spend every Saturday night there. In an effort to cut a few expenses I am looking to leave out on Saturday mornings at least a few times and spend the night in Columbus. I can easily be in Columbus by 2PM which gives me plenty of time to catch the best college games that day. Not leaving on Friday afternoon so I can arrive in Cleveland on Saturday is going to save $125 a trip minimum by the time you add up hotel and meal.

I have been making it a point of not getting to the tailgates/bars until around 9:30-10 on Sundays. I still wake up at 5-6 so I end up sitting around the room for 3-4 hours. I figure driving up from Columbus is a good way to kill the better portion of that time and well worth the money saved.

Didn't you say you were moving to FLA before long? What are you gonna do then?

Didn't you say you were moving to FLA before long? What are you gonna do then?

Been saying that a long time, but we also like it here in Tennessee. It is still a year away at least. Probably 2-3 more between selling this place and actually doing it. But, when we do, I don't see keeping the season tickets unless we are really good and can sell them pretty easily.

Allegiant Air now flies from St. Pete/Clearwater to Akron/Canton. It's about a $150 flight round trip. If they stay in business, I'll keep the tickets for a while and just fly up for those prices. St.Pete/ Clearwater is a really nice airport and only about 100 miles from Venice. My wife flies down out of here 6-7 times a year to go check up on her mom on Allegiant. Nice planes. Solid service.

I'd like to encourage all you Clevelanders to fly down to St.Pete a time or two a year on Allegiant. Lot's to do in the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area. Maybe once around Christmas and then again late February when you simply need to get away from the snow and need to feel 75 on you skin for 3-4 days. If it's cold, ok, it might only be 65.

Good deal Russ. When I retire in a few years I may do the "Snowbird" thing, but I am contemplating staying here most of the year, but in Jan. and Feb. renting out something somewhere. But I am contemplating varying the destinations. Maybe one year in Calif, another in Ariz or N.Mex. One in Louisiana, or Alabama. One year down with you and Zombo. Also....Ireland. Definitely Ireland for one year.

What do Ireland and Florida have in common? Both have palm trees.

You will do the snowbird thing. At some point.....for me it was about 45 years ago.....I can't see Cleveland as even being somewhat enjoyable from say Jan until mid April. Sledding or playing hockey is great when you are a kid. At this age, playing golf or going for a nice walk on the beach in shorts works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

god bless you guys.

never had the snowbird desire. maybe it's because i lived in AZ for a couple of years and had to deal with people like me now that turn their blinker on and leave it on until arriving at your destination in the opposite direction.

our desire is to one day sell this and move back to ohio.

my wife always tells me i do stuff ass backwards.

Been saying that a long time, but we also like it here in Tennessee. It is still a year away at least. Probably 2-3 more between selling this place and actually doing it. But, when we do, I don't see keeping the season tickets unless we are really good and can sell them pretty easily.

Allegiant Air now flies from St. Pete/Clearwater to Akron/Canton. It's about a $150 flight round trip. If they stay in business, I'll keep the tickets for a while and just fly up for those prices. St.Pete/ Clearwater is a really nice airport and only about 100 miles from Venice. My wife flies down out of here 6-7 times a year to go check up on her mom on Allegiant. Nice planes. Solid service.

I'd like to encourage all you Clevelanders to fly down to St.Pete a time or two a year on Allegiant. Lot's to do in the Tampa/Clearwater/St. Pete area. Maybe once around Christmas and then again late February when you simply need to get away from the snow and need to feel 75 on you skin for 3-4 days. If it's cold, ok, it might only be 65.

Hmmm.... I'll have to keep that in mind. One thing I really miss since my father in law is no longer in the Clearwater area is Bern's Steakhouse.

BTW Gip- if you didn't know- it's the Mecca of Winedom in the world. http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/ Food isn't too shabby either. Zombo heartily agrees.

Hmmm.... I'll have to keep that in mind. One thing I really miss since my father in law is no longer in the Clearwater area is Bern's Steakhouse.

BTW Gip- if you didn't know- it's the Mecca of Winedom in the world. http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/ Food isn't too shabby either. Zombo heartily agrees.

I thought France or the Napa Valley was the Mecca of Winedom, not SW FLA. :blink:

One of the future trips I want to take with my wife is Napa. She and I were just talking about that about an hour ago. Are you saying that instead of France or Calif that we should go to Fla?

I thought France or the Napa Valley was the Mecca of Winedom, not SW FLA. :blink:

One of the future trips I want to take with my wife is Napa. She and I were just talking about that about an hour ago. Are you saying that instead of France or Calif that we should go to Fla?

Ya, I find it hard to believe that a steak house in Tampa Fl is the 'mecca of winedom', LOL

Allow me to re-phrase- Bern's is the Mecca of Restaurant Wine Lists- by far the biggest in the world. 200+ different wines by the glass, for starters. Last time I was there, the actual list resembled a telephone book. Found a wine I thought I'd never see again- a 1969 Inglenook Charbono. Then you go upstairs for dessert, and there's only a smaller telephone book of dessert wines and spirits. You want Napoleon Cognac that's as old as Napoleon? We got it. Guy is a fanatic- the working wine cellar is the size of a small house. I was getting my family so honked off perusing the selections- the third time we went there, I just told the sommelier what I wanted to spend, and what I had in mind, and let him pick something.

I've been to Napa- Route 29 is like walking down the aisle of a store- but it's the actual wineries- Mondavi, Berenger- Whitehall Lane, Grgich Hills, Coppola. Pays to make reservations ahead for the places you want to visit. PM me when you're ready to go, and I'll give you some recommendations of places to visit. There's also several places off the main drag that are well worth a visit, like Chandon and Hess Collection.

Allow me to re-phrase- Bern's is the Mecca of Restaurant Wine Lists- by far the biggest in the world. 200+ different wines by the glass, for starters. Last time I was there, the actual list resembled a telephone book. Found a wine I thought I'd never see again- a 1969 Inglenook Charbono. Then you go upstairs for dessert, and there's only a smaller telephone book of dessert wines and spirits. You want Napoleon Cognac that's as old as Napoleon? We got it. Guy is a fanatic- the working wine cellar is the size of a small house. I was getting my family so honked off perusing the selections- the third time we went there, I just told the sommelier what I wanted to spend, and what I had in mind, and let him pick something.

I've been to Napa- Route 29 is like walking down the aisle of a store- but it's the actual wineries- Mondavi, Berenger- Whitehall Lane, Grgich Hills, Coppola. Pays to make reservations ahead for the places you want to visit. PM me when you're ready to go, and I'll give you some recommendations of places to visit. There's also several places off the main drag that are well worth a visit, like Chandon and Hess Collection.

Maybe in another year or two I would like to get out there. We just got back from a vacation in NC, and though I will be doing some other traveling, my wife will not likely to be able to travel until next May when we should be going to San Antonio for my daughter's graduation, and she has a few places she doesn't want me to travel without her, and the Napa Valley is one.

Did you say you drank a Joe Charbono (eau) wine? Or was that a Cher Bono wine? :lol:

Maybe in another year or two I would like to get out there. We just got back from a vacation in NC, and though I will be doing some other traveling, my wife will not likely to be able to travel until next May when we should be going to San Antonio for my daughter's graduation, and she has a few places she doesn't want me to travel without her, and the Napa Valley is one.

Did you say you drank a Joe Charbono (eau) wine? Or was that a Cher Bono wine? :lol:

You silly guy. :)http://buyingguide.winemag.com/varietals/italian-red/charbono I was ahead of the curve on this one. Very few wineries produced it way back in the 60s- Including Inglenook. "They used to make Charbono fruity, dry (when “dry” meant dry) and tannic. It lived forever, softening and sweetening in the bottle." I'll vouch for that quote- the Charbono I had at Bern's was pushing 30 years old when we drank it. And there should be no debate anymore where a grape came from- yup Gip- they do DNA analysis on grapes now. Zinfandel = Primiitivo. http://www.wineinstitute.org/resources/winefactsheets/article99 The Sebastianis and other Italian immigrants probably brought the cuttings over with them.

Ya, I find it hard to believe that a steak house in Tampa Fl is the 'mecca of winedom', LOL

As was corrected for those who didn't know he was talking about restaurant wine lists...Berns is. They must have 8000 different wines in their cellar. I am not talking bottles. I am talking about 8000 different wines, of which they might hold only a bottle or two, up to cases

• 1 month later...

Just bringing back a topic I love......some more info.

http://www.businessinsider.com/photos-inside-the-worlds-largest-wine-cellar-2014-3

LOL, let those who doubted me the Wine List looks like a telephone book- well- there's the proof. :)

If I lived in Tampa- I'd probably be on government assistance blowing a fortune on those bottles. That double mag of 1947 Latour should be monumental- if you can afford the movie star price tag.

photo%20%2810%29-3.jpg

Archived