THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Cardale

The Gipper

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually he was benched b/c he's not the runner that Barrett is... Plus, Jones loses his OC (who catered the offense around his skills and they had success) to Houston and his top WRs..no surprise his 'numbers' 'dipped' but still never lost a game

I thought his running ability was one of his big pluses? According to your breakdown at least.

Sorry, I'm just not seeing much to like beyond 'he's big and can throw far'

And then when McCown is on the bench, and the starter has a bad game, we'll be calling for McCown.

So how bout we just skip this bullshit and draft defense? That way there's no real clamor for Davis or Shaw when McCown has a bad game. Why draft one of these projects who we're gonna be screaming for by week 6 and then run out of town, again, by week 12?

can we just draft some kid at #2 who has a fairly reasonable probability of producing on the field by season opener? I know some of you guys don't like him, but Shelton was contributing from day 1. Yeah it was his rookie year and he would get caught upfield or get his pads turned now and then, he'll learn. But he was a very serviceable DT from day one...and frankly by the end of the season I saw him blowing up some veteran offensive lineman. That was a decent pick whether he's on the roster in a few years or not. You never know how things are gonna go but it looked like he was absolutely improving as the year went along. I see no reason why he won't continue that. Get some running mates on that line with him. Get either Bosa or go OLB with Jack.

can we just draft some kid at #2 who has a fairly reasonable probability of producing on the field by season opener? I know some of you guys don't like him, but Shelton was contributing from day 1. Yeah it was his rookie year and he would get caught upfield or get his pads turned now and then, he'll learn. But he was a very serviceable DT from day one...and frankly by the end of the season I saw him blowing up some veteran offensive lineman. That was a decent pick whether he's on the roster in a few years or not. You never know how things are gonna go but it looked like he was absolutely improving as the year went along. I see no reason why he won't continue that. Get some running mates on that line with him. Get either Bosa or go OLB with Jack.

Yeah, god know we'd all hate it if we end up with someone like Blake Bortles that takes a couple of months extra before taking over and developing in to a franchise QB, I mean seriously, heaven forbid!

Im a huge OSU fan, but I dont see it above the ears with Cardale. He also lacks accuracy in the short to intermediate range. He looked good when he was throwing balls deep and had the best deep ball reciever OSU has ever had running under em. Zeke and the Oline took tons of pressure off Cardale during that championship run, and when Cardale was asked to take over more of the offense he crumbled. Cardale has too much Jamarcus Russell in him for my liking. If you can snag him in the 3rd or 4th he may be worth the risk on physical traits.

Im a huge OSU fan, but I dont see it above the ears with Cardale. He also lacks accuracy in the short to intermediate range. He looked good when he was throwing balls deep and had the best deep ball reciever OSU has ever had running under em. Zeke and the Oline took tons of pressure off Cardale during that championship run, and when Cardale was asked to take over more of the offense he crumbled. Cardale has too much Jamarcus Russell in him for my liking. If you can snag him in the 3rd or 4th he may be worth the risk on physical traits.

Agreed. IMO, no sooner than 4th & that's only if we get our 1st choice MUCH earlier.

Physical traits can only take a player so far.

Mike

Lol all of the #code "Strong Arm" "Cant read defenses" "Jamarcus" "He wasn't the reason why they won" "physical traits but no smarts"

Actually he was benched b/c he's not the runner that Barrett is... Plus, Jones loses his OC (who catered the offense around his skills and they had success) to Houston and his top WRs..no surprise his 'numbers' 'dipped' but still never lost a game Emdig

Wait.... didn't Barrett also lose his OC and top wr's ? not seein it...

Cardale played fast and loose in 2015. He got on and stayed on a roll.

In 2016 he won the job and never played as well. Some may be system/OC/coaching, some may be due to a different WR corps (Smith for one made a lot of plays for his QB during that stretch drive).

But a good chunk, IMO, is that the cliché about back-ups having limited life as a fill-in has more than a grain of truth to it. One hears it all the time in the Pros, about how a team might be able to count upon its backup QB for a game or two, but beyond that it gets dicey.

Cardale played fast and loose in 2015. He got on and stayed on a roll.

In 2016 he won the job and never played as well. Some may be system/OC/coaching, some may be due to a different WR corps (Smith for one made a lot of plays for his QB during that stretch drive).

Losing Tom Herman to Houston cost more to Zeke & Jones than what most people think. A Heisman in Zeke's case with MSU at home. Now C.Jones is a box of cracker jacks with a hidden surprise at the bottom of the box? Except in Em's eyes. WoW!

Em was implying that the responder is racist.

I must have missed that one. But I see it now. Either way, being big and strong with a cannon arm and having nothing between the ears is hardly exclusive to any particular race, as Brandon Weeden shows.

I must have missed that one. But I see it now. Either way, being big and strong with a cannon arm and having nothing between the ears is hardly exclusive to any particular race, as Brandon Weeden shows.

I think the mention of Jamarcus Russell is why race got involved. Otherwise, Weeden definitely is of that ilk. Big dummie with a rocket arm.

Em was implying that the responder is racist.

Ha! I didnt get that from it. Definitely not racist. Also didnt use any #code when talking about Winston or Mariota last year. The truth of the matter is that Cardale isnt the sharpest tool in the shed, and he has REAL accuracy issues. He wasnt missing easy passes by a couple inches. He was sailing balls 10 ft off in every which direction. But he does have a live arm, and his big build and athleticism make him intriguing. Too bad theres a lot of NFL bodied QBs with good arms and better accuracy in the draft this year. Theres a reason Em is the only person with Jones as the top QB. Now Dalyn Williams is a whole other issue lmmfao.

I think the mention of Jamarcus Russell is why race got involved. Otherwise, Weeden definitely is of that ilk. Big dummie with a rocket arm.

Anderson, Mettenberger, Mallett, Schaub, there's no shortage of guys who hang around the league for 5 years while various teams kick the tyres, hoping that something fits.

Goff might be deemed more "ready to play" at this point than Cardale Jones, but even with mistakes, all Cardale did was just win, baby. A lot of people touted "pro style, ready to play" Brady Quinn, who couldn't unseat erratic journeyman Derrick Anderbilly.

If Bosa is there when they pick at #2 oal, Bosa should be the Browns pick. Much more of a difference maker than Goff. The Browns need a difference maker on the Defense.

If Bosa is there when they pick at #2 oal, Bosa should be the Browns pick. Much more of a difference maker than Goff. The Browns need a difference maker on the Defense.

That is not the Browns way. First hire new staff. 2nd talk about the new QB to be taken high in the draft before any analysis is completed. 3rd spend two years in the cellar and still have no QB. 4th fire "old" staff. 5th talk about how wonderful the new changes are going to be under a new staff and that ticket prices will stay the same (for now).

All aboard please! :lol:

Janes-Carousel.jpg

Not having your QB is a problem that requires much more attention than if you are missing a pass rusher. Bosa is not J.J. Watt or Von Miller. It is rare that a pass rusher is more of a difference maker than a quality QB. Both positions are important but being able to move the ball and put points on the board is more important.

Not having your QB is a problem that requires much more attention than if you are missing a pass rusher. Bosa is not J.J. Watt or Von Miller. It is rare that a pass rusher is more of a difference maker than a quality QB. Both positions are important but being able to move the ball and put points on the board is more important.

Well our latest FO would be putting all their eggs in the QB basket. Hasn't worked yet and frankly I just don't see the QB in this draft. If they take one I certainly hope I'm 100% wrong.

Well our latest FO would be putting all their eggs in the QB basket. Hasn't worked yet and frankly I just don't see the QB in this draft. If they take one I certainly hope I'm 100% wrong.

I would trust that if anyone can evaluate and develop a QB it would be Jackson. If we pick someone up in free agency or skip picking a QB in the first, we will know how he feels about this class of QBs haha.

I would trust that if anyone can evaluate and develop a QB it would be Jackson. If we pick someone up in free agency or skip picking a QB in the first, we will know how he feels about this class of QBs haha.

Not necessarily... I think that for us to spend our #2 on a QB, there's going to have to be unanimous agreement that one QB is not only the best QB prospect, but that he is a high-probability prospect. Sashi is going to have to hear this from Hue, Scouting and Analytics... not just "I can live with QB X being the choice."

First time out they are all going to be in the same boat because it is the boat they wanted to be in.

Archived