THE BROWNS BOARD

Defense

Zombo

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

look at the defensive stats for the game, in all categories but sacks I think Carolina was better. And that's only a 2 sack difference. I think people forget they had 5 sacks compared to Denvers 7. Carolina had more passing and rushing yds. CJ Anderson had 90 yds but that was on 23 carries. Overall the Panthers D did slightly better but the game changing plays came from the Denver D cause they got to Newton and made him fuck up. Can't put that loss on the Panthers D at all imo.

look at the defensive stats for the game, in all categories but sacks I think Carolina was better. And that's only a 2 sack difference. I think people forget they had 5 sacks compared to Denvers 7. Carolina had more passing and rushing yds. CJ Anderson had 90 yds but that was on 23 carries. Overall the Panthers D did slightly better but the game changing plays came from the Denver D cause they got to Newton and made him fuck up. Can't put that loss on the Panthers D at all imo.

If you strip sack your opponent and score, you don't need to make lots of plays, so that's probably a factor too.

If you strip sack your opponent and score, you don't need to make lots of plays, so that's probably a factor too.

Especially when 2 strip sacks lead to TDs. Here is Ware talking about how they controlled Newton and like Miller he gives all the credit to the interior guys. Buried in the article is a little side note about how Denver may not have the money to retain Malik Jackson since they will have to pay a lot to retain Miller. Do we go after him in FA? 6'6" 290 26 y.o. elite DT IMHO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/08/demarcus-ware-explains-why-cam-newton-didnt-run-more/

Especially when 2 strip sacks lead to TDs. Here is Ware talking about how they controlled Newton and like Miller he gives all the credit to the interior guys. Buried in the article is a little side note about how Denver may not have the money to retain Malik Jackson since they will have to pay a lot to retain Miller. Do we go after him in FA? 6'6" 290 26 y.o. elite DT IMHO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/08/demarcus-ware-explains-why-cam-newton-didnt-run-more/

Not a NT clearly - play him at DE? Could he do that? Nick Fairly is also a free agent, another 4-3 DT.

Not a NT clearly - play him at DE? Could he do that? Nick Fairly is also a free agent, another 4-3 DT.

Well it isn't clear to me what we will be running after reading this article. http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/5-things-to-know-about-Browns-defensive-coordinator-Ray-Horton/40320f9d-7abe-4bbb-8643-c2ea6405f824

“The genesis probably comes from the 3-4 of Pittsburgh because everybody is familiar with that, but since I left, I’ve changed quite a bit and we do some things they do not that are unique to us,” Horton said. “The personnel here will allow me to do even more creative things. I’ve talked about a multiple defensive front. It could be a 3-4, it could be a 4-3, it could be a 5-2, sometimes it will be a 4-4 depending on what we do. I guarantee we’ll have 11 on the field but the arrangement and configuration will be limitless.”

right, and that was the difference in the game....how the Broncos D was able to nerf Newton. But the Panthers D was still technically better that day. The Broncs outcoached them. If I had to choose though i'd still take the Panthers D over the Broncos, but not by much.

sounds a lot like what Pettine was trying to do.....trying to come up with some configuration where these guys can actually look like they belong on an NFL playing field. I don't want to hear that out of Horton frankly. I want a base set, obviously I prefer the 4-3 but if Horton wants to stay in the 3-4 than say so and go out and draft/sign accordingly. Obviously some of these guys have to go if we stay in the 3-4, actually a lot of em do but maybe not all this year. I'm open to Dansby staying maybe another year just so we don't have daisy fresh nobs starting in our interior linebacking corps. But seriously get the fuck rid of a good chunk of this front 7. If I see Shelton dropping into coverage next year i'm out.

Right, the panthers were technically better...and got stomped. Sure, they gave up less yardage, but they couldn't make the big, game changing plays like the Denver D did.

we're talking just about the defense chris, the defense most certainly didn't get stomped....and actually played better than the Broncos overall. THe Broncos, to their credit, had multiple scoring takeaways. Are you suggesting that Kuechly or one of the other Panthers defenders missed their blocking assignment on one of the Broncos edge rushers or something? Cause they aren't on the field when the Broncos D is on the field. The Panthers D did their job.

I’ve talked about a multiple defensive front. It could be a 3-4, it could be a 4-3, it could be a 5-2, sometimes it will be a 4-4 depending on what we do. I guarantee we’ll have 11 on the field but the arrangement and configuration will be limitless.”

Multiple/hybrid front, but running out of a 3-4 primarily.

Sounds like Pettines D too, which is what so many teams are switching to.....so, if it truly was too complicated for our guys last year, then...???

I remember our radio show guys saying that the "elite defense, game managing QB" type champion was a thing of the past. They cited teams like Trent Dilfer's Ravens and Brad Johnson's Bucs as teams that had killer defenses, but QB's that more or less managed the games. Not long ago, calling Peyton Manning a "game manager" would've been reason for mental institution commitment, but he's not the same guy he used to be, and he didn't have to do much against the Panthers to win that Superbowl game.

It goes to show that an elite defense can take a team very far, and perhaps all the way. That formula is still viable, and if you're a fan of defense, it sure is fun to watch. I think it's the kind of team that many Browns fans would simply die to root for. How fun would it be to watch our defense just obliterate people? We're obviously not going to go from an awful defense to stellar one in a single offseason, but hopefully we can add some impact players and at least make some damn progress.

we're talking just about the defense chris, the defense most certainly didn't get stomped....and actually played better than the Broncos overall. THe Broncos, to their credit, had multiple scoring takeaways. Are you suggesting that Kuechly or one of the other Panthers defenders missed their blocking assignment on one of the Broncos edge rushers or something? Cause they aren't on the field when the Broncos D is on the field. The Panthers D did their job.

The panthers D did enough to allow the panthers O to go and win the game. They only gave up, what, 14 points, once you take out the takeaways that went for 7 and 3.

The Broncos D won the game regardless pretty much on their own. Worst winning O in superbowl history.

Just gotta say....Im REALLY happy that a dominant D crushed it at the SB.....plays right into my little plan...hehehe

LOL! Right there with you, but add in crushed it all the way through the season, but lite it up big time through the playoffs. :D Really the QB position was a game manager game all season long for them. They trusted that D to take them all the way. And they were right. I want to see the Browns do that, bring the D here over the next two years and manage the O. I just don't know if we have the discipline to do that like Elway/Kubiac/Manning had. If we see a reach for a QB @ #2 overall (and any of them is a reach there), then I think I see the answer right there.

It's called a "hybrid"... ;)

All you have to do is look and see who Horton's LOLB was when he was here under Chud...

yep....and a whopping 4 sacks.....

But I would add that Horton got the most out of mingo, who had a more productive year in 2013 than Kruger or Sheard....so there's a glimmer of hope there.....

Damn that gives me shivers. That guy couldn't catch anyone even if he was on American Pharoah.

Archived