THE BROWNS BOARD

The Truth

One Post

Right. The Browns did good with that USFL Supp draft. And in getting good RBs. Even to this day hardly any team has done better in their history....even with the 30 year drought.

84-85 were amazing.....

In 1984 alone....between the draft and supplemental draft we added Don Rogers, Chris Rockins, Brian Brennan, Frank Minnifield, Kevin Mack, Ernest Byner, Mike Johnson and the Cube......and we also signed Herman Fontenot & Big Daddy Carl Hairston as FA's....

And in 1985....we added Kosar & Langhorne....

Now THAT was a boatload of talent.....fast!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

84-85 were amazing.....

In 1984 alone....between the draft and supplemental draft we added Don Rogers, Chris Rockins, Brian Brennan, Frank Minnifield, Kevin Mack, Ernest Byner, Mike Johnson and the Cube......and we also signed Herman Fontenot & Big Daddy Carl Hairston as FA's....

And in 1985....we added Kosar & Langhorne....

Now THAT was a boatload of talent.....fast!!!

Great memory Mud! They also landed a 6'7" bargain in Dan Fike as an 85 FA who started games at Guard and Tackle for some of our playoff teams in the mid-late 80s. This former Florida Gator was a 10th round draft pick for the NY Jets in 83.

There were times when we found really good linemen from 79 to the mid 90s either late in the draft or undrafted like: Tony (T-Bone) Jones (undrafted), Orlando Brown (undrafted), Paul Farren (12th round), Cody Risien (7th round). Every one of those players participated on teams that won at least 1 playoff game with Cleveland. Farren started at 4 different positions. Orlando Brown was the reason we were a great right handed running team that got Leroy Hoard a Pro Bowl honor when we ran the ball down the esophagus of playoff bound fronts like Philly and Dallas.

On the flip side, I played with the Seahawks in Madden last night and it made me realize two things with absolute utmost certainty:

We need a quarterback.

We need two edge rushers.

That frees up everything else.

Cleveland is actually my secret weapon on Madden. The DBs are disgusting, you have Gordon, Johnny's pretty good, and the run game actually works.

So basically nothing like real life.

Cleveland is actually my secret weapon on Madden. The DBs are disgusting, you have Gordon, Johnny's pretty good, and the run game actually works.

So basically nothing like real life.

I don't mind using them, either. There's some decent game talent on the team - it's insanely hard to cover Benjamin from the slot.

I won a tournament with the Browns back in the Brady Quinn days. For some reason, I was unstoppable with the guy. Quick release and decent enough mobility allowed me to boot action all day.

Archived