THE BROWNS BOARD

The Truth

One Post

We all know the sincerity of having the # 2 pick in the draft. A wrong move here sets the team back and proof is hindsight from other draft years. A laundry list of qb's we could all name and forget. Some argue "well they weren't that high of a draft pick this year is different." in my strong opinion I would rather have a late first rounder and two second round picks then one in the top two this year. Plain and simple it's a too high of a risk when the Qb's in this draft aren't worthy of a #2 pick. There I said it.

In recent years the only one even close to a sure qb pick was Luck. Wentz and Goff aren't a pimple on his behind. Just using Luck as an example should get the sincerity of it all. You could argue other positions being busts as well but we could all agree that the only O-line position that deserves such a high pick is a LT. JT is the man so Tunsil is out of the question.

Bosa is going #1. Tenn already got their qb last year which makes a lot of sense building through the draft. So why not a qb at # 2 again? Wentz and Goff aren't worthy. Plenty of teams like to trade and plenty of teams can draft well without having the luxury of high picks in each round. Trading down is the smartest thing to do. To assume you're going to get a blue chip Qb in the first rd this year is a huge gamble.

This is a deep draft defensively and stockpiling picks would be the luxury at this point.

As for the running game the Browns seemed to run the ball about midpoint through the season. The offense was moving the ball and keeping the defense off the field. They can build on that. There is free agency coming of course and a shake up on the o-line is enviable.

----------------------------

I read all the responses btw. If everyone likes you you're doing something wrong.

Conversely, spewing unfounded bullshit for the sake of it doesn't make you a genius.

Ask Skip Bayless, Colin Cowherd or Stephen A. Smith.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to injuries on their offensive line, the Patriots had 37 offensive line combinations, yet they still made it to the conference championships. Why? Brady has one of the fastest snap-to-release times in the NFL. A franchise QB who can process the field quickly can neutralize the pass rush. Nothing is more important than the franchise QB.

yeah remember when Hoyer was really good at getting rid of the ball quick and we were all smitten with him? Turns out that defense's figured out he sucks at certain throws and let him try them anytime he wanted....aaannnnddd we know what happened then. You think maybe Brady's success has a little to do with the insane continuity that the Patriots have had for how many years now? He knows exactly where his WR's are going to be. And for almost his entire career, he's been protected by his O line. He looked a bit more avg last Sunday didn't he? Now why was that? Did his protection break down maybe?

It's easier said than done but stopping the run will work wonders. The Browns secondary can be all they can be ball hawking when the opposing teams have to throw. Think how cool it could be man seeing a NFC West style defense in Cleveland! I'm getting wood and turning all the way brown thinking about it.

I'd settle for an AFC north defense.

It won't take five years to turn around the Browns

That would depend on when your clock starts(or started).....if you reset everytime somone gets fired, then I guess we could be at zero....

Or was the turnaround started 3 years ago, when Haslam bought the team?.....because then we are in year 4, right?....this is where Im at.....

Or was it since we were last a good team?.....cause then its 25 years plus?......

We all know the sincerity of having the # 2 pick in the draft. A wrong move here sets the team back and proof is hindsight from other draft years. A laundry list of qb's we could all name and forget. Some argue "well they weren't that high of a draft pick this year is different." in my strong opinion I would rather have a late first rounder and two second round picks then one in the top two this year. Plain and simple it's a too high of a risk when the Qb's in this draft aren't worthy of a #2 pick. There I said it.

In recent years the only one even close to a sure qb pick was Luck. Wentz and Goff aren't a pimple on his behind. Just using Luck as an example should get the sincerity of it all. You could argue other positions being busts as well but we could all agree that the only O-line position that deserves such a high pick is a LT. JT is the man so Tunsil is out of the question.

Bosa is going #1. Tenn already got their qb last year which makes a lot of sense building through the draft. So why not a qb at # 2 again? Wentz and Goff aren't worthy. Plenty of teams like to trade and plenty of teams can draft well without having the luxury of high picks in each round. Trading down is the smartest thing to do. To assume you're going to get a blue chip Qb in the first rd this year is a huge gamble.

This is a deep draft defensively and stockpiling picks would be the luxury at this point.

As for the running game the Browns seemed to run the ball about midpoint through the season. The offense was moving the ball and keeping the defense off the field. They can build on that. There is free agency coming of course and a shake up on the o-line is enviable.

I read all the responses btw. If everyone likes you you're doing something wrong.

And when no one "likes you"?

More serious questions:

• Was "sincerity" an example of autocorrect run amuck x2?
  • What is the basis for your 2016 QB opinion?
  • How close was Luck?
  • If Bosa goes #1 and no worthy trade is offered, who is your pick at #2?
  • Which positions on the D-side do you think are the deepest and who at those positions are 1st-round worthy?

You start with a franchise qb. The Browns are in a position to draft one. Everything else is background noise. The Panthers did a pretty good job filling in the blanks after they drafted Cam Newton.

Yes, the Browns are in a position to draft one......but that does not mean there is one there to be drafted.

If these guys really are just a class of Joey Harringtons/Blaine Gabberts/Christian Ponders....then no way should we go for one.

But if Bosa is the next coming of Lawrence Taylor, then we need that as well.

Due to injuries on their offensive line, the Patriots had 37 offensive line combinations, yet they still made it to the conference championships. Why? Brady has one of the fastest snap-to-release times in the NFL. A franchise QB who can process the field quickly can neutralize the pass rush. Nothing is more important than the franchise QB.

Yes....again...IF that guy is there. Obviously Jamarcus Russell goes #1 and Tom Brady goes #199 you can tell that a lot of times no on knows what a franchise QB looks like or where he will come from. Yes, odds are much better at the top of the draft.

I mean, a lot of people thought that the 1999 QB class was going to challenge the 1983 QB class as the best ever.

Uh...NO....#1 Couch....out after 4 years due to injury. Cade McNown, flop, Akili Smith, flop. Daunte Culpepper, pretty good. Donavan McNabb....borderline HOF.

Certainly nothing like 1983. Even that year Todd Blackledge was the 2d QB chosen and was pretty much a bust.

I guess I would like more certainty if a QB is taken #2. Of course, that is a certainty I can never have.

We all know the sincerity of having the # 2 pick in the draft. 1) a wrong move here sets the team back and proof is hindsight from other draft years. A laundry list of qb's we could all name and forget. Some argue "well they weren't that high of a draft pick this year is different." in my strong opinion I would rather have a late first rounder and two second round picks then one in the top two this year. 2) Plain and simple it's a too high of a risk when the Qb's in this draft aren't worthy of a #2 pick. There I said it.

3) In recent years the only one even close to a sure qb pick was Luck. Wentz and Goff aren't a pimple on his behind. Just using Luck as an example should get the sincerity of it all. You could argue other positions being busts as well but we could all agree that the only O-line position that deserves such a high pick is a LT. JT is the man so Tunsil is out of the question.

Bosa is going #1. Tenn already got their qb last year which makes a lot of sense building through the draft. So why not a qb at # 2 again? Wentz and Goff aren't worthy. Plenty of teams like to trade and plenty of teams can draft well without having the luxury of high picks in each round. 4) Trading down is the smartest thing to do. To assume you're going to get a blue chip Qb in the first rd this year is a huge gamble.

I'll respond to the parts I put in red in order.

1) Yeah, just ask the Bengals about Akilli Smith, or the Lions about Joey Harrington. However IMHO, this is not the year to be afraid of making a mistake.

2) That's your opinion, and it's not shared by everyone.

3) So sure, let's just wait until another Andrew Luck shows up, and the Browns happen to have the #1 overall pick. Fat chance of that ever happening. Comes up about every 25 years or so. I've said it before- taking the route of building up the defense will land you in Houston's boat- drafting far too low to have a shot at a franchise qb in the year one is available in the draft. Or maybe you think Hackenberg and Cook are prospects on the level of Goff & Wentz? We've gone the #22 pick for qb three times, and flopped badly- three times.

4) Trading down passing on Julio Jones to take Phil Taylor, trading down passing on Kalil Mack to take Justin Gilbert has worked out so well for us. NOT

We should make everybody call their no doubt sure fire all Pro can't miss selections now so that a year from today we don't have everybody pretending that they wanted Khalil Mack.

;)

WSS

Bosa - if we pass him by at #2 we will regret it as my as Khalil or Jones. Only caveat is if we get an equally good defensive player who can pressure the QB. It's what our D needs the most to become truly excellent.

Bosa is more comparable to Jared Allen than JJ Watt - although Bosa is probably a bit heavier. I think he'll be solid, but I don't think he'll be JJ Watt level.

If Lawrence Taylor was a 6'6 270 lb DE then maybe it'd make sense to compare him to Bosa (but he wasn't)

Bosa is more comparable to Jared Allen than JJ Watt - although Bosa is probably a bit heavier. I think he'll be solid, but I don't think he'll be JJ Watt level.

If Lawrence Taylor was a 6'6 270 lb DE then maybe it'd make sense to compare him to Bosa (but he wasn't)

Taylor was 6'3" 240. Bosa 6'6" 276.

Maybe Bosa more Deacon Jones: 6'5 275

Or, maybe the best comparison: Howie Long 6'5, 270 He would go from DE to the middle at times.

We should make everybody call their no doubt sure fire all Pro can't miss selections now so that a year from today we don't have everybody pretending that they wanted Khalil Mack.

;)

WSS

I was harping Mack way before that draft, him and Watkins. I was happy with taking either one. Simply couldn't believe we passed on both of them. But I was on record. So i'm going on record now saying that Bosa will likely be in the running for defensive rookie of the year wherever he goes, unless it's some dumbass team that stands him up.

well remember coming out of college Watt was pretty much the same size as Bosa, maybe not as solid though. Bosa seems to be physically ahead of Watt at this stage in their careers. Now obviously what Watts done since being drafted is get bigger, stronger and faster. Something Bosa will have to do as well even though if he stays right where he is he'll likely have himself a nice career. But if he does commit to the game like Watt has, and that's a big "IF"...if he does his ceiling may actually be higher. Which is scary.

Watching old tape of Watt you see a great pass rusher. But I didn't see that ability that Bosa has to stuff an offensive lineman while checking the play. One of the reasons i'm so high on Bosa's skillset. His strength compliments his technique perfectly. He's an edge guy that I feel can and will contribute to run defense more than just setting the edge. Which is what we need. I'd be happy with us using as the 5 tech in a 3-4 but would be more happy if we put some 4-3 looks down and sprung a speed rusher on the other side.

Watt was more explosive, bigger, and blew people up with strength alone in college. It's the perfection of his technique that has made him such an elite.

If the Titans think he has a higher ceiling than JJ Watt then he isn't falling past them anyway (but the only people who think that to be true are some OSU fans)

i'm calling zeke a no-miss no-brainer ROTY candidate for whatever team is smart enough to pick him.

book it.

the OSU faithful might be surprised but i feel apple will be just as good as bosa and he plays a more difficult position.

well remember coming out of college Watt was pretty much the same size as Bosa, maybe not as solid though. Bosa seems to be physically ahead of Watt at this stage in their careers.

Ummmm... no.

At his combine JJ was 6'5 and 290. Here's his page...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=76434&draftyear=2011&genpos=DE

I don't think Bosa will beat a single result that JJ posted.

wtf he was 290 coming out of college? and listed as a DE? No fucking way, I remember that draft he was like optimistically listed at 280. If he was 290 coming out of college than he hasn't gained a single pound since coming out? He was no fatass in college that got leaner. That just blows my mind if it's true. He was a 4-3 DE prospect, there's no way he was 290 at Wicsonsin.

anyway, Joey was benching 440 in HS and runs I the 4'7s while Watt ran 4'8's coming out. So I think the numbers are gonna be awfully close. Bosa should get in the neighborhood of 30 reps on the bench but i'm not really interested. The 225 has proven to not be indicative of field strength. Which when I look at tape Bosa looks to have more of than watt did. That's just an eyeball test. Watt looked like he got hemmed up by OL's easier than Bosa does.

Archived