THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Lynch

CaineDeSoulis

top 3 being Goff/Lynch/Wentz.

Your assumption was based on the prospects having different floors as a static measurement.

for example if Tony Romo. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Cam Newton are all draft eligible and you have the number 1 pick. assuming they are ranked Brady #1, Peyton #2, Romo #3 and Newton #4 as top QBs available. as a coach who wants a vertical passing game with designed rollouts and occasional read options. you may take Newton over the other three because he fits YOUR offense better aswell as the personal already on the team.

If you judge your QB on his ability to perform a 7 step drop and then rollout you end up with a case of "diminishing skills".

Point is we really don't know what our team is looking for right now but we can infer from our coaches at past points in there careers. Jackson had Jason Campbell/Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton.
Dalton, the most recent came from the EXACT same system Lynch is from. He already has an idea on how to coach him obviously the difference here is 5" and 30 lbs with more athleticism.

Truth be told if Lynch closed his college career with a good game we would have alot more hype for him

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had the pleasure of seeing the kid play. I would love to see him as a Brown, because it would turn this shit hole of a really fucking weird football team into a Browns town. Plus, I think the kid can play.

Lynch will be looked at as closely as the other two Tom.

Not that lynch has an amazing deep ball but he hasnt thrown a deep INT this year.

We can all agree that any of these top 3 guys will likely be better than billy right?

Lynch hasn't thrown a deep int- because go look at his passing tree. He doesn't throw deep much. The vast majority of his passes are dinks and dunks.

As far as being better than Manziel- So is Connor Shaw.

I see it as Carson=Lynch as far as prospect type and style. Goff doesn't look to be a fit for our team unfortunately. So either one though i prefer lynch (he did throw 7 td in one half afterall). Let me be clear that i see each of these prospects as having a good career

Why is that? He's a closer comparison to Dalton than either Lynch or Wentz.

Point taken on taking "your system" into account. Certainly if the evals are close that'd be a tie-breaker, but the best candidates can adapt to systems as well.

I don't buy the athleticism argument for Wentz, let alone Lynch. I just think they run more and more is not necessarily better... or in this case more athletic. Goff is simply less prone to bailing on a pocket in no small part due to his mesmerizing ability to slide within one.

If they run 40's at the Combine I'd look for Wentz in the 4.7's, Goff 4.8's and Lynch >4.9. If they run 3-cone and/or shuttles I think it'll be close between Wentz and Goff with Lynch well off their pace.

Holcomb? Ummm... no. We simply have to agree to disagree, but it's been interesting.

Too much weight is put on the combine and pro days. Esp if your a QB. A tenth of a second faster or how good you throw to uncovered receivers should not decide anything. Lets pick a guy based upon how he's played in games. Usually those are the guys who end playing well in the NFL too.

Certainly too much can be placed upon Combine (and Pro days), but I find the Combine especially useful for two things...

1. Confirming what I think I see in tape... or not. If not, then I can look again.

2. Sifting through the lesser known players for prospects whose tape I might otherwise never get around to seeing.

Toward the end of the regular college season Lynch was considered the cream of the crop.....so certainly he should be in the conversation with the other QBs.....if QB were to be the way the Browns go.

That was more in the middle of the season.

Well the early part of the season hr was a relatively unknown prospect outside of nfl scouting circles. So good start good middle and discouting a record tying 7 TD in one half game he had a poorer end. Bare in mind stats wise he did 3700 yds 66% comp and a TD:INT ratio of 28/4 in 2015. His biggest problem is the offens he played in is not as applicable to the NFL. He definitely deserves to be in the same conversation as goff and wentz at 2.

I've been off Lynch for a long time, but he does in a purely draft stock way remind me of Teddy B. The dude was fairly widely considered the top QB prospect until one admittedly terrible game against Auburn. I think he slides for sure, how far is another question. I could see a lot of the above average teams with aging QB's taking a shot on him.

I love reading about all of the physical abilities and measurements, and I think those things really do matter to some extent. But what really gets me excited about a potential QB is their mental prowess. I don't know a thing about Lynch's grades, test scores, or anything, so I can't comment on that part of his game. From what little I've read about Carson Wentz, he's a very smart dude with something like a 4.0 in college (I believe I read that, could be wrong). A 4.0 in college is pretty tough to do, regardless of your major. You could be an under water basket weaving student, and getting a 4.0 is still tough to do. The fact that Wentz has a 4.0, has the stupid size and huge hands, and appears to be well liked...well...he's my guy at this early moment.

I believe I read that Goff was a film room junkie and a bright kid as well. And just because I read it, doesn't make it true, but internet articles are all I have to go on right now, LOL. At this point, I want Wentz as my first choice, but I'd be just about as happy with Goff. I'm completely stoked about having the second pick, and assuming we don't trade back, we're essentially guaranteed to get one of the two best QB prospects in the country. No, the QB crop isn't as talented as other years, but we have a savvy veteran on our roster. A veteran that enjoys working with young QB's, and a guy that is a helluva role model. I love the fact that we don't have to throw our rookie QB in for the first game. And who knows, maybe our rookie out performs McCown and starts anyways!

Lynch scares me for some reason, and I can't really tell you why. It's early February, and lots can/will change in the coming months. So it's very possible that Lynch could sky rocket and end up being our guy.

Certainly too much can be placed upon Combine (and Pro days), but I find the Combine especially useful for two things...

1. Confirming what I think I see in tape... or not. If not, then I can look again.

2. Sifting through the lesser known players for prospects whose tape I might otherwise never get around to seeing.

Byron Jones last year an excellent example-just under the radar until he broke a world record in the standing broad jump at the combine. Un f'n real!.

His combine bumped him from middle rounds to Cowboys 1st rounder.

Byron Jones last year an excellent example-just under the radar until he broke a world record in the standing broad jump at the combine. Un f'n real!.

His combine bumped him from middle rounds to Cowboys 1st rounder.

And how has he done this year?

And how has he done this year?

Starting CB by the end of the year. Hard to judge much since their O was so bad, the D had to stay on the field way too much. That's why they are only 2 places away from the Browns. Had Romo been hurt the whole year they would have been picking first. Also why they go for whichever of Goff or Wentz we leave on the board. But in the long run Jones will get better and better IMHO.

Jones was on peoples' radar before the combine though. Desir by contrast was an unknown.

The fact that Wentz has a 4.0, has the stupid size and huge hands, and appears to be well liked...well...he's my guy at this early moment.

Not sure the relationship between classroom smarts and football performance is all that clear.

Sounds like a job for Analytics Man!

Jones was on peoples' radar before the combine though. Desir by contrast was an unknown.

Not sure the relationship between classroom smarts and football performance is all that clear.

Sounds like a job for Analytics Man!

Ryan Fitzpatrick anybody?

There are real scouts, and then there are pretend scouts, bloggers and fans.

The contrast and change in draft projection that's going to occur over the next few months happens as the latter (everyone here, including me) learn more about the opinions and grades of the former. Leaks also help shape draft boards and grades.

I like Lynch, Goff and Wentz. I just don't know enough about all the other prospects to really value them yet -- without plagiarizing other people's rankings or work. Grading every single player and forming a "Big board" is so time consuming, I couldn't imagine being someone who actually does that, and doesn't borrow from his peers. I know certain people who do this. They get a "starting point" by taking another writer's rankings. That's wrong to me, and part of the problem this time of year.

I'm writing something, ranking the three of them against each other, not against other draft prospects. It should be out next week, and I'll link if people want to see it.

There are real scouts, and then there are pretend scouts, bloggers and fans.

The contrast and change in draft projection that's going to occur over the next few months happens as the latter (everyone here, including me) learn more about the opinions and grades of the former. Leaks also help shape draft boards and grades.

I like Lynch, Goff and Wentz. I just don't know enough about all the other prospects to really value them yet -- without plagiarizing other people's rankings or work. Grading every single player and forming a "Big board" is so time consuming, I couldn't imagine being someone who actually does that, and doesn't borrow from his peers. I know certain people who do this. They get a "starting point" by taking another writer's rankings. That's wrong to me, and part of the problem this time of year.

I'm writing something, ranking the three of them against each other, not against other draft prospects. It should be out next week, and I'll link if people want to see it.

Its OK to do this if you are paid to do this. Scouts/GMs are supposed to be professionals at this. To do it as a "hobby"? No thank you.

Camp "Draft a late round talent with the 2nd pick"

I mean seriously, I'm a huge supporter of drafting Goff, and wouldn't mind a guy like Wentz. But come on, Paxton Lynch is a mid to late round draft pick.

I would rather draft someone like Treadwell or Bosa if we aren't going QB, but I really don't think that's going to happen

Archived