THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Party like its 1999

The Gipper

Here is the list of those QBs were drafted since 1999 who had the most productive careers. (note...longevity counts....QBs that have been around a shorter time may not make this list; also....QBs take prior to 1999 not counted, though may have had productive careers...see Peyton/Favre):

1. Brady

2. Brees

3. Rivers

4. Rodgers

5. Roethlisberger

6. McNabb

7. Eli Manning

8. Palmer

9. Matt Ryan

10. Vick

11. Culpepper

12. Cutler

13. Newton

14. Flacco

15. Alex Smith

16. Schaub

17. Russell Wilson

18. Aaron Brooks

19. Stafford

20. Fitzpatrick

21. David Garrard

22. Bulger

23. Dalton

24.Pennington

25. Jason Campbell

(Luck: 27)

Not a Browns player on there except Campbell.

And, as of right here, right now, the following are the QBs, drafted since 1999 that have the best winning pct. as a starter...Minimum 10 games started:

1. Dak Prescott

2. Brady

3. Wilson

4. Roethlisberger

5. Rodgers

6. Osweiler

7. Dalton

8. Vince Young

9. Luck

10. Drew Stanton

11. McNabb

12. Bridgewater

13. Flacco

14. Matt Ryan

15. Shaun King

16. Alex Smith

17. Tim Tebow

18. Newton

19. Brees

20. Rivers

21. Foles

22. Vick

23. Pennington

24. Eli

25. Rex Grossman

Some interesting...unexpected names on this list, fair to say?

Ok....i went back 12 years and checked to see which QB's drafted actually turned into "quality starters"......IE.....long term solutions for the teams that drafted them....the list does NOT include pt starters......guys who are gone due to injury.....below average players,,,,,

And....as expected.....almost every single one was a top pick(1st rnd) and one of the premier options on draft day....

The totals(which I usually save for the end) are as follows.......

12 yrs = 144 QB's selected = 22 good ones = 2 per year(every year) = 121 busts....

The 22 starters were selected as follows:

17 - first round

2 - second round

1 - third round

1 - fourth round

1 - sixth round

Of the 17 first round picks.....9 were the first QB picked.....and 4 were the second.....

So......considering this, it is very clear that the first 2 guys picked, usually are the best ones and the 10 guys picked later are almost always busts......sadly, we are guilty of picking a few of the very few early busts(Quinn, Weeden, Manziel).....

Here is my chart:

YEAR - # QB'S PICKED - RND PICKED - NAME - ORDER PICKED

2004 - 17 picked - 1st Manning - first

- 1st Rivers - second

- 1st Rapistbergers - third

2005 - 13 picked - 1st Smith - first

- 1st Rodgers - second

2006 - 11 picked - 1st Cutler - third

2007 - 10 picked NONE

2008 - 13 picked - 1st Ryan - first

- 1st Flacco - second

2009 - 11 picked - 1st Stafford - first

2010 - 14 picked - 1st Bradford - first

2011 - 12 picked - 1st Newton - first

- 2nd Dalton - fifth

- 6th Taylor - eleventh (this decades only "find")

2012 - 11 picked - 1st Luck - first

- 1st Tannehill - third

- 3rd Wilson - sixth

- 4th Cousins - eighth

2013 - 11 picked NONE

2014 - 14 picked - 1st Bortles? - first (still not a lock for "good")

- 1st Bridgewater - third

- 2nd Carr - forth

2015 - 7 picked - 1st Winston - first

- 1st Mariota - second

So....to me........it's pretty clear. Grab the best one or 2, as the rest are pretty much gonna be second teamers or busts.....

In 12 years and 144 selections......only 3 were found later than the second round........(which is why I bitch about Kess in the third)......these #'s show that the 3rd and later will bring you the same quality QB....

so, if your gonna "roll the dice", dont use your better picks to do it....cause we cant afford to burn 3rds......

And if you want a franchise QB....then grab the one at the top.....because history proves he's likely to be "the" only one......

Mud,

I agree with your early pick theory & have a question.....In your opinion, is there a QB on whom the Browns should consider spending that #1 pick or do we stand pat & go D?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Mike

Mud,

I agree with your early pick theory & have a question.....In your opinion, is there a QB on whom the Browns should consider spending that #1 pick or do we stand pat & go D?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Mike

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Mike...:)

Im the first to admit that QB is not my strength when it comes to evaluating talent.....so I normally steer clear of speculating on em...

But...based upon the above history.....Id go with the odds and lean toward the top prospect....Trubsiky

Nice job! There were also 6 QBs picked in the regular Supplimental Draft since it's inception in 1977 one a BROWNS all star and one still playing for the BROWNS, yes TP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_supplemental_draft_picks

There have been 43 players selected in the National Football League supplemental draft since its inception in 1977. The supplemental draft was enacted in 1977 for players who had various circumstances affect their eligibility and did not enter the main NFL draft. The only player selected in the supplemental draft to enter the Pro Football Hall of Fame was Cris Carter, who was selected in 1987 and elected to the Hall of Fame in 2013.

In addition, there have been eight players selected to Pro Bowls in their careers: Bernie Kosar (drafted in 1985), Cris Carter (1987), Bobby Humphrey (1989), Rob Moore (1990), Mike Wahle (1998), Jamal Williams (1998), Ahmad Brooks (2006), and Josh Gordon (2012).

In 1984, the National Football League held a supplemental draft for college seniors who had already signed with either the United States Football League or the Canadian Football League. On June 5 in New York City the draft was completed in an attempt to head off a bidding war in its own ranks for USFL and CFL players. Three players in this draft entered the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Steve Young, Gary Zimmerman, and Reggie White.

OH and let's not forget from 2012 Josh Gordon.

Why didn't they roll the dice with Prescott? Don't they have scouts? He was awesome at Mississippi State! He's going to be better than Russell Wilson and already is a leader. Why can't the Browns ever draft someone with talent? John Gruden liked Prescott better than Goff and Lynch and said whoever gets him will be glad!

It's getting old following the the illogical brain trust of the Browns Front Office.

Why didn't they roll the dice with Prescott? Don't they have scouts? He was awesome at Mississippi State! He's going to be better than Russell Wilson and already is a leader. Why can't the Browns ever draft someone with talent? John Gruden liked Prescott better than Goff and Lynch and said whoever gets him will be glad!

It's getting old following the the illogical brain trust of the Browns Front Office.

To be quite honest "they" was all 32 teams and all of their football people who passed several times each which happens occasionally when character issues happen nobody wants to blow a top round pick on a potential stick of dynamite....just take the next guy and move on.

Remember the class of 1983? Maybe the best ever QB class at that time when drug rumors about Danny Marino were circulating and he dropped like a rock to the last round 1 QB picked at 27. Elway was number 1 and never signed and on it went. Marino played with a BIG chip on his shoulder for years.

Here's the primary reason Opal. We had just unloaded party boy & coach killer Johnny Football. Add in at the time the continuing Josh Gordon saga. So really- the Browns FO was super-duper risk averse to take a flyer on ANYONE who was perceived in the slightest way of having drinking or substance problems. Turns out it was a false alarm... As mjp pointed out- Prescott fell for the same reason Marino did, many rounds lower. LOL, if you could re-do the draft, Dak would be a lock first rounder.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17160255/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-quarterback-acquitted-dui-college-town

To be quite honest "they" was all 32 teams and all of their football people who passed several times each which happens occasionally when character issues happen nobody wants to blow a top round pick on a potential stick of dynamite....just take the next guy and move on.

Remember the class of 1983? Maybe the best ever QB class at that time when drug rumors about Danny Marino were circulating and he dropped like a rock to the last round 1 QB picked at 27. Elway was number 1 and never signed and on it went. Marino played with a BIG chip on his shoulder for years.

This. The Browns were with every other team in the NFL that passed on Prescott several times.

Why didn't the other 31 teams draft Tom Brady?

Prescott is a good QB, but I don't think he would be good on the Browns. He has Elliot and has lots of time to throw thanks to his O-line, a luxury that Browns' QBs don't have. I feel sorry for any QB the Browns draft, the defense sucks so the Browns are always playing from behind and forced to throw more than they probably should, other teams realize this and blitz the crap out of our substandard O-line, QB gets injured, wash, rinse, repeat. If the Browns do draft a QB in the first round, I hope they use some of their 2nd and 3rd round picks on O-line, particularly center.

Here's the primary reason Opal. We had just unloaded party boy & coach killer Johnny Football. Add in at the time the continuing Josh Gordon saga. So really- the Browns FO was super-duper risk averse to take a flyer on ANYONE who was perceived in the slightest way of having drinking or substance problems. Turns out it was a false alarm... As mjp pointed out- Prescott fell for the same reason Marino did, many rounds lower. LOL, if you could re-do the draft, Dak would be a lock first rounder.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17160255/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-quarterback-acquitted-dui-college-town

And had they done due diligence with a thorough background check instead of just reading the funny papers, they would have figured all this out before the draft. Our 2016 draft is starting to show the FO is clueless, even with the ones we picked and the ones we should have replaced like our glorious center.

BTW it was kind of fun watching the rookie constantly changing the plays and calling out other keys during the game yesterday. Not a Dallas fan but I have been a Dak fan for a couple of years now. Did the same kind of playmaking against some pretty good SEC defenses. Fun player to watch just as Elliott is now too. Who woulda thought two rooks could have this much impact so soon?

Prescott is a good QB, but I don't think he would be good on the Browns. He has Elliot and has lots of time to throw thanks to his O-line, a luxury that Browns' QBs don't have. I feel sorry for any QB the Browns draft, the defense sucks so the Browns are always playing from behind and forced to throw more than they probably should, other teams realize this and blitz the crap out of our substandard O-line, QB gets injured, wash, rinse, repeat. If the Browns do draft a QB in the first round, I hope they use some of their 2nd and 3rd round picks on O-line, particularly center.

The irony here is that we could have had Elliot and Prescott.....and, instead, opted for Coleman and Kessler....

So, their rookie 1st rounder is ranked #1 in the league at his position......ours is ranked #97.....

And their 3rd round rookie QB is ranked 6th.....ours is ranked 31st.....

So......send in the 'scuses.....but it is what it is......

And those 2 new Cowboys show how much difference difference makers make....

And had they done due diligence with a thorough background check instead of just reading the funny papers, they would have figured all this out before the draft. Our 2016 draft is starting to show the FO is clueless, even with the ones we picked and the ones we should have replaced like our glorious center.

BTW it was kind of fun watching the rookie constantly changing the plays and calling out other keys during the game yesterday. Not a Dallas fan but I have been a Dak fan for a couple of years now. Did the same kind of playmaking against some pretty good SEC defenses. Fun player to watch just as Elliott is now too. Who woulda thought two rooks could have this much impact so soon?

Ag, you have to wonder if Sushi & Depudster tossed the scouts reports in the trash after they fired them. They're going to have to do 100% better in 2017. The rumor has circulated Wentz was wanted in some quarters. Regarding Elliott, this Buckeye Homer can say "told ya". By far the best OSU back since Eddie George. :)

Ag, you have to wonder if Sushi & Depudster tossed the scouts reports in the trash after they fired them. They're going to have to do 100% better in 2017. The rumor has circulated Wentz was wanted in some quarters. Regarding Elliott, this Buckeye Homer can say "told ya". By far the best OSU back since Eddie George. :)

Well then take a looksee at LSU's Guice. Plays just like Elliott but won't be in the draft until 2018. If we are in the running to nab him and make another pass, then they should all turn in their scout cards.

The irony here is that we could have had Elliot and Prescott.....and, instead, opted for Coleman and Kessler....

So, their rookie 1st rounder is ranked #1 in the league at his position......ours is ranked #97.....

And their 3rd round rookie QB is ranked 6th.....ours is ranked 31st.....

So......send in the 'scuses.....but it is what it is......

And those 2 new Cowboys show how much difference difference makers make....

And nobody really wants a top 5 or even 20 draft pick RB anymore, too much downside risk (remember TR?). ;)

Besides Dallas had an OL or at least way better than our BROWNS. Just curious how many here think Elliott will be a rushing leader RB in 3 or 4 years?

Ok....i went back 12 years and checked to see which QB's drafted actually turned into "quality starters"......IE.....long term solutions for the teams that drafted them....the list does NOT include pt starters......guys who are gone due to injury.....below average players,,,,,

And....as expected.....almost every single one was a top pick(1st rnd) and one of the premier options on draft day....

The totals(which I usually save for the end) are as follows.......

12 yrs = 144 QB's selected = 22 good ones = 2 per year(every year) = 121 busts....

The 22 starters were selected as follows:

17 - first round

2 - second round

1 - third round

1 - fourth round

1 - sixth round

Of the 17 first round picks.....9 were the first QB picked.....and 4 were the second.....

So......considering this, it is very clear that the first 2 guys picked, usually are the best ones and the 10 guys picked later are almost always busts......sadly, we are guilty of picking a few of the very few early busts(Quinn, Weeden, Manziel).....

Here is my chart:

YEAR - # QB'S PICKED - RND PICKED - NAME - ORDER PICKED

2004 - 17 picked - 1st Manning - first

- 1st Rivers - second

- 1st Rapistbergers - third

2005 - 13 picked - 1st Smith - first

- 1st Rodgers - second

2006 - 11 picked - 1st Cutler - third

2007 - 10 picked NONE

2008 - 13 picked - 1st Ryan - first

- 1st Flacco - second

2009 - 11 picked - 1st Stafford - first

2010 - 14 picked - 1st Bradford - first

2011 - 12 picked - 1st Newton - first

- 2nd Dalton - fifth

- 6th Taylor - eleventh (this decades only "find")

2012 - 11 picked - 1st Luck - first

- 1st Tannehill - third

- 3rd Wilson - sixth

- 4th Cousins - eighth

2013 - 11 picked NONE

2014 - 14 picked - 1st Bortles? - first (still not a lock for "good")

- 1st Bridgewater - third

- 2nd Carr - forth

2015 - 7 picked - 1st Winston - first

- 1st Mariota - second

So....to me........it's pretty clear. Grab the best one or 2, as the rest are pretty much gonna be second teamers or busts.....

In 12 years and 144 selections......only 3 were found later than the second round........(which is why I bitch about Kess in the third)......these #'s show that the 3rd and later will bring you the same quality QB....

so, if your gonna "roll the dice", dont use your better picks to do it....cause we cant afford to burn 3rds......

And if you want a franchise QB....then grab the one at the top.....because history proves he's likely to be "the" only one......

Everyone knows you draft a CB in the top 10 and a QB early in the third. Just give Justin Gilbert some time.

And nobody really wants a top 5 or even 20 draft pick RB anymore, too much downside risk (remember TR?). ;)

Besides Dallas had an OL or at least way better than our BROWNS. Just curious how many here think Elliott will be a rushing leader RB in 3 or 4 years?

I do......I think he'll be a special back who produces for a long time......just has that look about his game....

Comparable to AP and others now and years back? Still RBs take a beating now.

....Last season, Adrian Peterson led the NFL with 1,485 rushing yards. This season, Dallas rookie Ezekiel Elliott and Tennessees DeMarco Murray both have a good chance to surpass that mark. Elliott, who has five games to break Eric Dickersons rookie rushing record of 1,808 yards set in 1983, has 1,199 yards (through the Thanksgiving Day game) and Murray has 1,000 rushing yards.

"Theres some good running backs out there, Dickerson, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, said recently. The league still needs us. Yes, its a passing league, but there is room for running backs and I think you are seeing that this year.

(Week 12) Here are the other running backs who can join Elliott and Murray in the 1,000-yard resurgence: Arizonas David Johnson (863 yards), San Diegos Melvin Gordon (838), Houstons Lamar Miler (824), Miamis Jay Ajayi (802), New Englands LeGarrette Blount (802), New York Jets Matt Forte (732), Buffalos LeSean McCoy (716), Pittsburghs LeVeon Bell (699 through 12 games) Chicagos Jordan Howard (682), Atlantas Devonta Freeman (669), Indianapolis Frank Gore (670 through 12 games), Kansas Citys Spencer Ware (641) and Cincinnatis Jeremy Hill (623).

Here are the seven rushers who broke the 1,000-yard barrier in 2015: Peterson, Tampa Bays Doug Martin (1,402), the Rams Todd Gurley (1,106), Dallas Darren McFadden (1,089), Jacksonvilles Chris Ivory (1,070), Oakland Latavius Murray (1,066) and Freeman (1,056).....

Comparable to AP and others now and years back? Still RBs take a beating now.

....Last season, Adrian Peterson led the NFL with 1,485 rushing yards. This season, Dallas rookie Ezekiel Elliott and Tennessees DeMarco Murray both have a good chance to surpass that mark. Elliott, who has five games to break Eric Dickersons rookie rushing record of 1,808 yards set in 1983, has 1,199 yards (through the Thanksgiving Day game) and Murray has 1,000 rushing yards.

Comparable?......sure....absolutely

In fact, he is on track to have a better rookie season than Peterson did....more yards and TD's.....so, yeah....looks like the best one to come along in a number of years.....and, to me, he looks built to last

Will he have as long of a career, etc?......who knows......but if he stays healthy, then to answer your question.....YES, he will be a top back in 3-4 years.....

Comparable?......sure....absolutely

In fact, he is on track to have a better rookie season than Peterson did....more yards and TD's.....so, yeah....looks like the best one to come along in a number of years.....and, to me, he looks built to last

Will he have as long of a career, etc?......who knows......but if he stays healthy, then to answer your question.....YES, he will be a top back in 3-4 years.....

If he can pass Dickerson, whoa, but possible. Plus medical strides have kept some RBs still going like AP and his severe knee injury, I just think of the most exciting RB I ever watched the Kansas Komet Gale Sayers gone too quick. (NOTE Jim Brown was the best all around, ever.)

Sure nice as a QB to hand it or throw it to Ezekiel. .....and he can block.

....edit add and he's on my FL team :)

Long shot to pass Dickerson.....wouldnt expect to see that.....

I like Zeke a lot....but wont be at "best ever" kind of thinking for years.....and dont expect that of his rookie season either....

But he could easily be the best rookie RB in a decade.....sounds reasonable to me....

Archived