THE BROWNS BOARD

Free Agency

domcucch1994

With this season already in the books for us, it is time to talk Free Agency.

The biggest concern of ours is to sure up our Oline.

We can sign Ryan Schrader from Atlanta and Kevin Zeitler from Cincinnatti to sure up the right side of our line.

Both of these guys are studs and are in their prime.

JT, Bitonio, Erving, Zeitler, and Schrader would give us a very good oline.

Any suggestions for other FA pickups the Browns need this offseason?

Supposing we're 0-16, or even 1-15...attracting free agents to our little disaster will take either gigantic dollars, or severe mental instability. You want some good news? In the "best case scenario" department, it's possible that Austin Reiter (sp?) could be our center. We're getting Joel Bitonio back. We have Joe Thomas. That's not a bad start. We have some other players on the roster that are at least...serviceable. Greco, Drango, Pasztor...all decent. We'll draft some depth, and hopefully that will help. Cam Erving...well...he'll be on the bench. Reiter only played one game, and although it was a solid effort, Browns fans are too smart to think he's the "for sure" solution at center. However, it's definitely possible.

There's probably 20 other teams in the NFL that want to use the next offseason to bolster their OL, so we'll have our work cut out for us. As we're all aware of, we're projected to have four of the top 50 picks. It's safe to say that ONE of those picks will be used on a position on our OL. I'd love to sit here and tell you that this draft is stocked with OL talent, but it's completely the opposite. We'll have to find an immediate starter, and that player will have to step in pretty much right away.

Here's to hoping...

Supposing we're 0-16, or even 1-15...attracting free agents to our little disaster will take either gigantic dollars, or severe mental instability. You want some good news? In the "best case scenario" department, it's possible that Austin Reiter (sp?) could be our center. We're getting Joel Bitonio back. We have Joe Thomas. That's not a bad start. We have some other players on the roster that are at least...serviceable. Greco, Drango, Pasztor...all decent. We'll draft some depth, and hopefully that will help. Cam Erving...well...he'll be on the bench. Reiter only played one game, and although it was a solid effort, Browns fans are too smart to think he's the "for sure" solution at center. However, it's definitely possible.

There's probably 20 other teams in the NFL that want to use the next offseason to bolster their OL, so we'll have our work cut out for us. As we're all aware of, we're projected to have four of the top 50 picks. It's safe to say that ONE of those picks will be used on a position on our OL. I'd love to sit here and tell you that this draft is stocked with OL talent, but it's completely the opposite. We'll have to find an immediate starter, and that player will have to step in pretty much right away.

Here's to hoping...

I believe Olineman would come here simply because they'd be playing next to Joe Thomas, future HoF'er.

Even signing one of those that I mentoned like Zeiter or Schrader, is better than none.

We also need to get Eric Berry to make our secondary less laughable..

I believe Olineman would come here simply because they'd be playing next to Joe Thomas, future HoF'er.

Even signing one of those that I mentoned like Zeiter or Schrader, is better than none.

We also need to get Eric Berry to make our secondary less laughable..

They can play next to Joe and get their 3 wins.

We will likely have to address our needs through the draft until they can start winning more games. The types of players who are willing to lose and make a huge paycheck tend to play like they could give a shit.

They can play next to Joe and get their 3 wins.

We will likely have to address our needs through the draft until they can start winning more games. The types of players who are willing to lose and make a huge paycheck tend to play like they could give a shit.

This is a year where there are two or three young, first round talent linemen that have not lived up to their potential hitting the market.

Joeckel and Warmack are both set to become free agents this year and both will likely jump at the chance to get mid-level starter money and get their careers back on track. Both have underplayed their draft position and have dealt with some injuries along the way. I'd be happy signing either one of those and resigning Cooper and letting our line work itself out in the offseason.

I wouldn't mind seeing Joeckel and Pasztor battle it out for the RT spot, Warmack and Cooper battle it out for the RG spot, and let Greco battle it out with a rookie (Elflein/Pocic/Orlosky/Fuller) for the C spot.

That would give us a depth chart of:

LT - Thomas / Joeckel / Pasztor

LG- Bitonio / Cooper / Reiter

C - Greco / Rookie

RG - Warmack / Cooper / Reiter

RT - Joeckel / Pasztor

That's 8 offensive linemen, four of which are first round talent. We'd likely get Joeckel and Warmack for mid-level contracts, we wouldn't be breaking the bank to sign them.

Then, if we were to draft Trubisky, we'd be following in the Raiders/Cowboys mold of plugging in your athletic rookie QB behind a stout offensive line and limiting the shots he takes.

Here's to hoping...

Yes...at LEAST we have to draft an OC....and there are a few out there to be had. At least, scouting reports seem to show a couple could be solid.

But then....someone felt that Cam Erving graded out well enough to be taken in the first round. OI!.

This is a year where there are two or three young, first round talent linemen that have not lived up to their potential hitting the market.

Joeckel and Warmack are both set to become free agents this year and both will likely jump at the chance to get mid-level starter money and get their careers back on track. Both have underplayed their draft position and have dealt with some injuries along the way. I'd be happy signing either one of those and resigning Cooper and letting our line work itself out in the offseason.

I wouldn't mind seeing Joeckel and Pasztor battle it out for the RT spot, Warmack and Cooper battle it out for the RG spot, and let Greco battle it out with a rookie (Elflein/Pocic/Orlosky/Fuller) for the C spot.

C - Greco / Rookie

RT - Joeckel / Pasztor

That's 8 offensive linemen, four of which are first round talent. We'd likely get Joeckel and Warmack for mid-level contracts, we wouldn't be breaking the bank to sign them.

Then, if we were to draft Trubisky, we'd be following in the Raiders/Cowboys mold of plugging in your athletic rookie QB behind a stout offensive line and limiting the shots he takes.

Sounds like a fair plan. Would our anal-yitics guys go for it. Would these FAs go for playing for the Browns? Where are Drango and Coleman in your plan? Aufed?

C - Greco / Rookie

RT - Joeckel / Pasztor

That sounds reasonable and fits with the line of thinking I believe our FO has at the moment.

I say trade Joe Haden. He is good when healthy, but his health concerns worry me. Someone out there will take him. I say trade him for a 2nd in 2017 and a 4th in the 2018 drafts. Use tthe 2017 pick to get a solid corner next year in the 2nd and sign Eric Berry and Trumaine Johnson in Free Agency, and that secondary will get a whole lot better. \

Draft Trubisky and Jabril Peppers to fill key positions at both QB and FS. A guard in the 2nd, Dlineman for a few picks, sign Kevin Zeitler from the Bengals and Ryan Schrader in Free Agency as well. That oline would be dominant.

If we had to we could move up into the 3rd for a C to potentially replace Cam Erving if he falters.

They need to take players based on needs but if they can land Mitch and Jabril in the 1st, that would be awesome

Very doable plan if we were the only team in the league... and there was no salary cap...

We could sign Joecjel and Warmack for gigantic OL contracts, putting them among the highest at their respective positions, and still not face cap trouble until 2020.

Peppers is making a good case today as the #1 pick

Like completely bitching out on making a tackle attempt on Curtis Samuel during his 9 yard run to setup the 4th down...?

What else made him look #1 overall? His first career INT tipped them dropped right into his hands.

Fuck Peppers and his draft stock.

Peppers isn't a first overall pick. He's a tweener. He's to small for the line and not big enough for a run stopping lb'er spot.

And he's to big and slow for Safety.

He is a good player, but without a position

Did Peppers make a play in the secondary that I missed?

I did see him trailing slower Buckeyes... some with the ball... some without it. But there was that tipped ball he centerfielded...

Defenders I saw I'd want included:

• a Taco and a large Glasgow;
  • a McMillan and a Hooker.

No. But does Ohio State win that game without Malik Hooker's 3rd pick 6 of the year?

Who cares? As I've argued with Woody on - Peppers is NOT an elite athlete and no he doesn't run in the 4.3's. He MIGHT run a high 4.4's.

His shuttle, split and cone drill should be good though.

Archived