THE BROWNS BOARD

Sashi's Real Plan (supposedly)

Adoug319

So he's just there to give advice based on his numbers/analytics? I thought he was the GM?

No and no... and again all that follows is per my understanding going back to the announcement of our new FO organization.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/front-office.html

Sashi is the "Executive Vice President, Football Operations". Functionally he is the "GM" for contracts, but he's not a talent evaluator in the mold of a traditional GM who rises through the scouting organization.

He is there to:

• hear arguments of analytics, scouting and coaching staff;
  • drive consensus when necessary, but...
  • weigh the arguments and decide when it becomes clear that consensus cannot be reached.

In short... he is there to blend the three views presented to him by facilitation to consensus where possible, but by decision where necessary.

I'd expect the process is the same, albeit involving different departments with different weightings, depending on whether the decision is about:

• determining needs - staff, analytics and pro scouting
  • rating draft prospects - college scouting, analytics and staff
  • rating FA prospects - pro scouting, analytics and staff
  • determining each prospect's value - analytics with our "cap guru"... who is likely in the Player Personnel department.

Order of the above departments is my guesstimate of their relative "weight". I would not be surprised if their order is shuffled based upon feedback of decisions made... actually I would be surprised if it were not.

I would also expect that the process is not only for the current and upcoming season, but also out 2 or 3 years. Certainly with less emphasis (and certainty) in the out years, but time should be spent on underclassmen (especially those that might declare) and vets hitting FA including our own.

I would not be surprised if the majority of the time all departments are generally in agreement on a given need or prospect, i.e., "consensus" is there from the start. But when they are not... it's on Sashi to either build a consensus or make the call. If the disagreement is great enough, then I think his default decision would be to take a pass. Exceptions might be distributed evenly to the various departments effectively throwing each "a bone" if the downside cost is not too great, e.g., drafting a dark-horse QB with a 3rd round compensatory pick. At least split-decision bones create data for the feedback loop.

Output of the processes would obviously include our draft board and FA plan, both after multiple passes thru the process, but a player budget proposal and expected W/L impact to take to Jimmah are also required. Certainly Sashi&Co.has an idea going in of what the preliminary player budget is, but Jimmah has to approve the final budget.

After all.. it is a business... and the above is a business process. Is it precisely the business process we are employing? Nah... just an educated guess having spent most of my last ten working years studying and building such processes.

There will be a quiz later... ;)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So in effect, there is no one person to evaluate a player that can tell the difference between good college players and good pro players. Or is that up to the Haslam's? It does seem like we're missing a draft guru type guy. I don't agree with this GM by committee at all. Sure it's good to have a variety of input but you still need The Man to override when needed. Or, we have 4 GMs and not one has any eyeballs on talent evaluation experience.

So in effect, there is no one person to evaluate a player that can tell the difference between good college players and good pro players. Or is that up to the Haslam's? It does seem like we're missing a draft guru type guy. I don't agree with this GM by committee at all. Sure it's good to have a variety of input but you still need The Man to override when needed. Or, we have 4 GMs and not one has any eyeballs on talent evaluation experience.

I think the structure is that everyone sticks to what they do best.

Sashi and co work with the grades/numbers/analytics. Then they assign the scouting staff to determine how those grades we're earned and to look beyond them.

As for who pulls the trigger? Couldn't tell you.

I think the structure is that everyone sticks to what they do best.

Sashi and co work with the grades/numbers/analytics. Then they assign the scouting staff to determine how those grades we're earned and to look beyond them.

As for who pulls the trigger? Couldn't tell you.

Yes, I get it about the input. So they are just going with scouting reports and number crunching without some sort of eyes on talent evaluation guru.

As far as having the trigger, Hasslam!

I'm sure Haslam is presented with big ticket FA outlays, bit more as a formality as with RG3. As I understand Sashi&Co. went to Jimmah with a proposal and he heard them and blessed their pursuit with a "Let's go get him." Only right as after all, it is his money...

Otherwise I really believe it's a consensus driven process between scouting and analytics.

• If all agree fully positively on a player... "Great! Go get him!"
  • If all can "live with" (pretty much the definition of "consensus") a player... "Good, get him if you can."
  • If org is split on a player... discuss and discuss some more... but if in the end no consensus is reached... "Let's pass."
  • If all agree fully negatively... "Pass!"

Only other scenario I can see is in the case of a split. If one side's case strikes Sashi as being far more persuasive than the other's case, then he might go with the stronger case's position. But I would expect this to be both rare and, in the long run, balanced.

Archived