THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone Excited About Kessler Yet?

wargograw

I have always liked Kessler & still do. There has never been a question about his accuracy, intelligence, or work ethic.

I've seen folks comparing him to Brees & others but, as I have often said to Cal & Flugel, he reminds me of Brian Sipe. Blue collar all the way. I can live with that.

Mike

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant say Im excited about Kessler......just dont see him as having the tools needed to be a top QB in this league.....BUT....

I will say he has shown much more improvement than I expected. Early on, his pocket awareness was some of the worst Ive ever seen and, now, has improved.......and the one thing I really like is that he hasn't given up the ball....meaning he makes good choices(a big plus!)....

So....while he wont make many great throws and wont win many on his own.....he also looks like he wont kill you with poor choices or regrettable throws.....a wash?

But, in the end, his arm is not really what it needs to be to make all the throws and I think it will stay that way....

Id say that he has started better than any rookie prospect we've seen since?.... say Derek Anderson or Colt McCoy?.....which is a step in the right direction.....

Good post.

I was down on Manziel pretty quickly.

Gave up on Weeden ahead of the curve.

Never too excited about McCoy.

Felt Quinn was a dud from the start.

Laughed at Frye.

So, Homer as I am, I call the QB draft picks as I see them ... And I didn't see it with those guys.

Kessler is different. He has "it". You guys that remember Sipe and Kosar know what "it" is.

Pocket presence, toughness, and knowing where all of your receivers are at all times is a big part of "it".

This is the right coach and the right QB.

Please, for the love of all that is holy ... Just let it develop.

Z

Cant say Im excited about Kessler......just dont see him as having the tools needed to be a top QB in this league.....BUT....

I will say he has shown much more improvement than I expected. Early on, his pocket awareness was some of the worst Ive ever seen and, now, has improved.......and the one thing I really like is that he hasn't given up the ball....meaning he makes good choices(a big plus!)....

So....while he wont make many great throws and wont win many on his own.....he also looks like he wont kill you with poor choices or regrettable throws.....a wash?

But, in the end, his arm is not really what it needs to be to make all the throws and I think it will stay that way....

Id say that he has started better than any rookie prospect we've seen since?.... say Derek Anderson or Colt McCoy?.....which is a step in the right direction.....

+1

I was down on Manziel pretty quickly.

Gave up on Weeden ahead of the curve.

Never too excited about McCoy.

Felt Quinn was a dud from the start.

Laughed at Frye.

So, Homer as I am, I call the QB draft picks as I see them ... And I didn't see it with those guys.

Kessler is different. He has "it". You guys that remember Sipe and Kosar know what "it" is.

Pocket presence, toughness, and knowing where all of your receivers are at all times is a big part of "it".

This is the right coach and the right QB.

Please, for the love of all that is holy ... Just let it develop.

Z

Hard to develop arm strength and the league is a bit different than 1986.

Hard to develop arm strength and the league is a bit different than 1986.

He's got as much arm as Andy Dalton and Drew Brees entered the league with.

It is It ... Year don't matter. Seen them all.

Z

He's got as much arm as Andy Dalton and Drew Brees entered the league with.

It is It ... Year don't matter. Seen them all.

Z

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/andrew-dalton?id=2495143

Years do matter in 1986 you wanted a great back, had smaller quick WRs and a QB could manage a game more effectively. With rule changes and player evolution you want multiple backs, bug WRs that can go up and get it and a big, strong QB. There are exceptions to all rules but if you follow the rule you are typically ok.

.... and the league is a bit different than 1986.

lol Do tell..... Ball heavier? Field longer? Wider? 5 downs now? I guaranfrickintee you that the '85 Bears defense would absolutely dominate whoever is the NFL's #1 offense today, even with today's pussification of the game and that's an understatement.

Years do matter in 1986 you wanted a great back, had smaller quick WRs and a QB could manage a game more effectively. With rule changes and player evolution you want multiple backs, bug WRs that can go up and get it and a big, strong QB. There are exceptions to all rules but if you follow the rule you are typically ok.

Could you be more wrong about 1986?

Big arm QBs and Big WRs were a premium then too.

We're you a football fan then?

It is It.

How do you think Cody Kessler would do against the 2016 Patriots, Dolphins, Redskins or Titans?

I'm guessing he would be very accurate with few turnovers, strong pocket presence, and plenty of toughness ... Or is that out of style?

Z

lol Do tell..... Ball heavier? Field longer? Wider? 5 downs now? I guaranfrickintee you that the '85 Bears defense would absolutely dominate whoever is the NFL's #1 offense today, even with today's pussification of the game and that's an understatement.

Hush. They had cornerbacks like Darrell Green and Frank Minniefield then. They could never cover Jarvis Landry.

Z

Hush. They had cornerbacks like Darrell Green and Frank Minniefield then. They could never cover Jarvis Landry.

Z

And the rules have really changed, not the 10 yards for a first down but a whole lot more is way different than 20, 30, 40 and more years ago.

And yes these kids are huge now coming out high school!

And the rules have really changed, not the 10 yards for a first down but a whole lot more is way different than 20, 30, 40 and more years ago.

And yes these kids are huge now coming out high school!

The rules have changed to the benefit of the offense birthing medium-sized armed accurate guys like Brees, Dalton and Kessler ... Yes.

Z

I didn't like Quinn, I am sad to say I did like DA til he started to throw ints left and right. He did win us 10 games in a season but other than that I was not ampd over any of our qb we had. Let's let Kessler play it out. I am aboard the Kessler train, Next stop next year PO!

Big arm QBs and Big WRs were a premium then too. They've always be a premium but now they are a necessity.

It is It.

How do you think Cody Kessler would do against the 2016 Patriots, Dolphins, Redskins or Titans? 0-4

I'm guessing he would be very accurate with few turnovers, strong pocket presence, and plenty of toughness ... Or is that out of style?

Z

Big arm QBs and Big WRs were a premium then too. They've always be a premium but now they are a necessity.

It is It.

How do you think Cody Kessler would do against the 2016 Patriots, Dolphins, Redskins or Titans? 0-4

Z

"They've always be a premium but now they are a necessity."

Because Drew Brees, Andy Dalton, Antonio Brown, Odel Beckham ... they're not making it in this league.

Zombo

Dalton's arm strength isn't in question and Brees has won 2 playoff games in 6 years.

Dalton does not have a big arm by NFL standards. He's accurate.

Drew Brees led the NFL in passing the last two years and has a Super Bowl ring.

Please stop.

Zombo

Dalton does not have a big arm by NFL standards. He's accurate.

Drew Brees led the NFL in passing the last two years and has a Super Bowl ring.

Please stop.

Zombo

I already posted Dalton's draft profile illustrating arm strength was a plus coming into the NFL but you can continue to gloss over that.

No one is saying Drew Brees is an ineffective QB but he is in a system that is built for passing, as is Philip Rivers & Matthew Stafford, but the system hasn't yielded a lot of playoff success recently.

"They've always be a premium but now they are a necessity."

Because Drew Brees, Andy Dalton, Antonio Brown, Odel Beckham ... they're not making it in this league.

Zombo

As I said earlier and you can go back and read it, there are always exceptions to the rules but adhering to the rule is typically a safe bet. I'd rather have Julio Jones over Antonio Brown, OB is 5'11 198 not as small as Brown 5'10 181. I'd rather have Pryor than Coleman.

We can argue Doug Flutie vs Aaron Rodgers all day if you want but the fact remains Kessler has been improving, and certainly isn't the problem, but I don't look at him as the guy who leads the Browns to the Super Bowl. I know Trent Dilfer lead the Ravens to a Super Bowl win, doesn't change my mind about Kessler at this point.

Dalton's arm strength isn't in question and Brees has won 2 playoff games in 6 years.

Dalton's arm used to be in question quite a bit to the extent Cincy drafted Sky Scrapers like AJ Green and Tyler Eifert for all his jump balls with hang time.

Have you seen New Orleans play defense the last 2-3 years when you make a statement like that?

Peyton Manning just won a Superbowl in one of the worst years he has had in a long time because of his defense. The guy even gift wrapped an INT to Mingo in OT to where our offense started their drive at the Denver 39. 3 snaps later we were at our own 40 yard line while Peyton got credit as the WINNING QB. He would have been our biggest weapon that day if we could have gotten just 1 first down when the game was there to be won.

Hogan looking a lot like Kessler

He looked nothing like Kessler.

One is poised and accurate and deliberate, the other ran all over the field like a college QB without much polished passing acumen.

Only thing they share is guts and inexperience.

Zombo

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/10/21/13358652/mel-kiper-browns-qb-cody-kessler-skyrockets-to-17th-best-rookie-through-six-games

Mel Kiper: Browns QB Cody Kessler skyrockets to 17th best rookie through six games

Friday morning, Mel Kiper posted an article that highlighted the Top 20 rookies through the first six games of the 2016 season. This is the third time he’s done the list this season, and making his debut on it is QB Cody Kessler of the Cleveland Browns.

"17. Cody Kessler, QB, Cleveland Browns
Previously ranked: NR | Final 2016 Big Board rank: 184
Kessler, forced to play because of injuries to Robert Griffin III and Josh McCown, has been better than expected. I thought the undersized (6-1, 215 pounds) signal-caller would be a career backup -- he regressed as a senior at USC, and he doesn't have a big-time arm. But he has been efficient early on, completing 65.6 percent of his passes and throwing just one interception (with four touchdown passes). Now, Kessler's efficiency hasn't led to wins for the 0-6 Browns, but his play is one of the few bright spots so far. I ranked him as my No. 13 QB before the draft."
Heading into the draft, Kiper ranked Kessler as his 184th prospect. For him to rise up the charts as quickly as he has is something no one — well, except maybe Hue Jackson with his “trust me” comments — saw coming.
Absent from the list, and absent from the honorable mentions section, are fellow rookies Corey Coleman and Carl Nassib. Their broken hands probably had something to do with that.
The Cowboys dominated the Top 5 with QB Dak Prescott ranked #1 and RB Ezekiel Elliot ranked #4. The other players in the Top 5 included QB Carson Wentz at #2, OT Jack Conklin at #3, and ILB Jatavis Brown at #5. The Browns had brought Conklin and Brown to Berea for visits prior to the draft, and they’d had some contact with Prescott and Wentz.

Jativs Brown, I believe is a Zip......Akron U product. We coulda used a guy like him right here under the Browns nose.

So, if having a huge QB is mandatory....how is it that Russell Wilson made....and shoulda won 2 Super Bowls in a row.....and could go again this year. At 4-1-1 those Seahawks have one of the 4 best records in the NFL.

Good or great small QBs are the somewhat rare exception to the rule. I'll go with a Peyton Manning size over a puny 5' 10" guy who can't easily. see or throw over linemen.

Then there's durability, arm strength and other factors.

Nothing against 5' 10" guys...I'm 5' 10" :lol:

Three quarterbacks who officially measured 5'11" or shorter have thrown at least 100 passes in the NFL since 1990: Doug Flutie, Seneca Wallace and Russell Wilson.

Flutie, Wallace and Wilson are considered exceptions. They are part of an exclusive club who defied the laws of the league. The laws that say short quarterbacks cant work in the NFL because the historical evidence is overwhelmingly against them. Only 25 quarterbacks who measured 6'0″ or less have thrown a pass in the NFL since 1990, whereas 218 quarterbacks who measured 6'1″ or greater have. That seems cut and dry. The tall quarterbacks are the guys who make it to the NFL and stay there so you must need to be tall to play at that level.......

http://presnapreads.com/2016/04/24/how-height-unfairly-sets-up-nfl-quarterback-prospects-for-successfailure/

Kessler is 6'1. While, yes, he is not tall for a QB, the following current NFL QBs are his height or less:

Russell Wilson 5'11

Drew Brees 6'0

Tyrod Taylor 6'1

Chase Daniel 6'1

Case Keenum 6'1

Trevon Boykin 6'0

Colt McCoy 6'1

Matt McGloin 6'1

At least 4 of the above are starters.

He looked nothing like Kessler.

One is poised and accurate and deliberate, the other ran all over the field like a college QB without much polished passing acumen.

Only thing they share is guts and inexperience.

Nailed it...

Archived