THE BROWNS BOARD

For those of you that watched the Carolina game....

Clevfan4life

Which i'm assuming is the majority of you......is Kuechly ridiculous or what? I knew he was one of the best LB'ers in the NFL for a couple years now but he's starting to make Ray Lewis kind of plays where you're just wtf was that? I know it's not entirely fair to compare our guys to him, but we were told Dansby was in the convo as one of the best in the NFL....but nobody we have is around the ball like this guy. It's like his helmet is miked up with the QB's and hears the play. He diagnoses the play right almost every single time. It would be nice if this happened a few times a game from our guys but it just seems like they're getting to the point steps later than Kuechly which means if they make the tackle the runner is already past the los or just passing it and they get dragged for a yd or two minimum.

And in coverage? Thta's the one i'm not gonna hold our guys too much...he's a on another planet in coverage. I just wish our guys could stop the run somewhat like him.

I just want to find someone half as good as him, can't we do that? I guess Dansby is getting paid exactly half of what Kuechly is...12m vs 6m....is he half as good though? I dunno maybe he is, i'm just mr pessimism on our defense right now. The negative nancy shades brought on by this season might be obscuring my judgement.

i know, i'm not asking for the next Kuechly though...although it obviously would be nice. I'd like to know how other teams develop their players in ways we're not. Is our strength and conditioning coaches just bad? Why do other teams get players and they develop "significantly" over what they were when they drafted them while our guys remain more or less the same. Why?

Which i'm assuming is the majority of you......is Kuechly ridiculous or what? I knew he was one of the best LB'ers in the NFL for a couple years now but he's starting to make Ray Lewis kind of plays where you're just wtf was that? I know it's not entirely fair to compare our guys to him, but we were told Dansby was in the convo as one of the best in the NFL....but nobody we have is around the ball like this guy. It's like his helmet is miked up with the QB's and hears the play. He diagnoses the play right almost every single time. It would be nice if this happened a few times a game from our guys but it just seems like they're getting to the point steps later than Kuechly which means if they make the tackle the runner is already past the los or just passing it and they get dragged for a yd or two minimum.

And in coverage? Thta's the one i'm not gonna hold our guys too much...he's a on another planet in coverage. I just wish our guys could stop the run somewhat like him.

Good eye. . .

@PFF: Carolina's Luke Kuechly is having the highest-graded season by a linebacker we've ever seen: https://t.co/XbulTLpmYd

I not only noticed Luke- I noticed old Camshaft is going to get noticed as an elite quarterback really soon. Reads the D, unloads the ball lightning fast, big tough dude. A comparison to a young Ben Rothlisbooger is apt. His starting wrs are no better than the Browns

Oh, Dear Mr. Farmer. I hope you were watching the Detroit game- and saw how Megatron made Stafford look mighty good.

Only other recent ILB close to Kuechly's level was Willis... and he retired. Doesn't mean that there aren't other damn good to great ILBs playing.

It is interesting that if asked to list elite players at most positions multiple names spring to mind, but at ILB only one does.

Thomas Davis made & makes Luke Kuechly even better. Watched Luke a lot at Boston College. Ball hawk side line to side line. With the best tackling technique I have ever seen in college in a long time. LB U had nothing on this kid. Davis took Luke into the tape room & our called the "taperats" here in NC. I was at Skins game with wife & watched the samething I saw all day yesterday. Both "taperats" knew what was coming on the snap. That 4 drop zone that Luke got both picks on is a perfect example of what you do with greedy WR's that want the big play & won't come back to the ball. I would be thrilled for Thomas Davis if they can pull this off if you know Davis past injury history. Keep Pounding!!

This is why next time we see an absolute STUD at LB, we need to take him if he's the right guy. EX, clay matthews.

You know.. As dumb as this may sound.. Id love Clay Mathews out of retirement. okay.. All joking aside. Kuechly was "Amazing"

EDIT:. This guy was covering receivers and went toe to toe in step with them..His instincts are marvelous... Why cant the goddamn browns scout these guys and draft them...Shakes My head.

Id like to see us draft a OLB who actually IS an OLB......and then keep him at that position.....

Every single one of our OLB's...(.every.....single.....one...).....is a converted DE....which is a great way to get an edge rusher and seems to be what a lot of teams are doing....BUT.....we need natural LB's too.....so, converting 4 guys leaves you with 4 edge rushers with ZERO OLB instincts for playing the run or coverage....

Then they whine when asked to do OLB stuff......(like tackling and covering)

Kruger is a DE who is too slow and lumbering to be a good OLB......Armonty is a DE with zero experience or instincts for OLB......Mingo is a converted DE thats a bit lost at LB.......Orchard is a pass rushing DE who is now our most verstile OLB and he's only played at the position for a few months....heck, even Sheard was a great DE, then they made him into an average OLB.....

And, in a weird twist, Kirksey is the only natural OLB we've drafted.....and then we made him an ILB......

So....how about just drafting an OLB who is actually an OLB??.......CRAZY idea, I know.......

Id like to see us draft a OLB who actually IS an OLB......and then keep him at that position.....

Every single one of our OLB's...(.every.....single.....one...).....is a converted DE....which is a great way to get an edge rusher and seems to be what a lot of teams are doing....BUT.....we need natural LB's too.....so, converting 4 guys leaves you with 4 edge rushers with ZERO OLB instincts for playing the run or coverage....

Then they whine when asked to do OLB stuff......(like tackling and covering)

Kruger is a DE who is too slow and lumbering to be a good OLB......Armonty is a DE with zero experience or instincts for OLB......Mingo is a converted DE thats a bit lost at LB.......Orchard is a pass rushing DE who is now our most verstile OLB and he's only played at the position for a few months....heck, even Sheard was a great DE, then they made him into an average OLB.....

And, in a weird twist, Kirksey is the only natural OLB we've drafted.....and then we made him an ILB......

So....how about just drafting an OLB who is actually an OLB??.......CRAZY idea, I know.......

That sounds dangerously close to a staff incapable of being flexible/experienced enough to adapt to the personnel they have so we're witnessing a skipping record of square pegging round holes. Khalil Mack was on our doorstep and our brain trust thought that was a crazier idea than out-thinking themselves into trading around so they could draft a Justin Gilbert whom they would end up preferring an undrafted Johnson Bademosi to on game day. Make sense? It shouldn't.

Some think all we have to do is get rid of O'Neil - but the problem is this is Pettine's defense barrowed from Rex Ryan with a few wrinkles from Mike Pettine and his dad. IMO, if Pettine wants to grow - he needs to open up to bringing in a DC with a Defense other than the only one he's used to. Easier said than done though because the ego side of it - he wants to prove he's the right guy with the right solution. He's fighting the short window where veterans have played long enough to know when a system destined to fail continues to fail - they're not going to believe in what's asked of them. If he remains too stubborn to see guys aren't playing faster because they're confused - he's burying his Head Coaching career. I don't think the talent is as bad the scheme.I also think they can make some better decisions on whom they are trusting to cover people. That's part of coaching too.

As much as I'm sick of fire to re-hire on the same shakey hiring criteria at the top - what happens when a staff loses the team? Seems like a bad time to start the continuity idea we've longed for. When I see some of the only interested candidates in this gig I see a Ken Whisenhunt that got fired with a Chip Kelly on deck to get fired (with another one of our bad ideas Shurmur as his OC). Kirk Ferentz is undefeated in the recruiting attraction of Iowa cornfields. He was the last Offensive Line Coach here that helped us win a playoff game with a running game that put RB Leroy Hoard in the Pro Bowl as a FB (a position he didn't even play). Point is - the man can coach players that believe in what he's teaching at the college or pro level. Our running game ranks 31st so how much would Kirk Ferentz plus Zeke Elliott change such a dynamic?

They also let Cam be Cam and don't micromanage him

Guess again... Panthers have worked with and developed Newton just as we have with JM. The differences being the nature of deficiencies on-field and off.

In Cam's case his off-field were taken care of by graduation. And his on-field were around holding the ball in the pocket too long.

Cam Newton's offseason growth draws praise from Ron Rivera

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000497809/article/cam-newtons-offseason-growth-draws-praise-from-ron-rivera

Take, for example, Newton's recent focus with Carolina quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey. In two specific ways, the Panthers and Newton himself seem to be recognizing that the QB's strengths, while valuable, can also lead to potential weaknesses in his game. This translates to footwork and decision-making.

Let's start with footwork. Because Newton has such incredible arm strength, he is capable of making massive throws downfield without setting his feet. On the surface, that sounds great -- almost like a basketball player being able to pull up for a three-point shot with no time to square to the basket. Newton, though, isn't merely tossing a football 23 feet on these occasions, and his accuracy can be hindered by those big distances.

"(Dorsey and offensive coordinator Mike Shula) want him to get his feet in the proper position -- then throw the ball," Rivera said. "You do see the difference."

Said Newton: "It's all about footwork and trusting the protection."

As it pertains to Newton's decision-making skills, coaches again want to make sure Newton doesn't allow his physical assets to become handicaps. Given how often Newton looks downfield to make the deep throws, it's easy to wonder why the Panthers don't add more safety valves (receivers running shorter routes) to help give Newton options. But Rivera believes those "safety valves" already exist. Instead, again, this is about making Newton realize there are benefits to his bulk -- and potential detriments.

"He wants to make the play downfield," Rivera said. "He likes the splash play. And with his ability to stay upright, I think he tends to stick with a guy for too long.

"He's learning, 'If I don't have it right now, let me give it to one of these guys who can catch it right now.' We've got guys who can make plays. You've seen it during offseason practices. He's learning and understanding that part of the offense."

I was talking about off the field, and celebrations etc. on the field.

?????

Browns aren't "micro managing" him off the field(at all), otherwise he wouldnt always be drunk and on TMZ.......

And celebrating on the field????.......cmon now, Browns havent made him stop that either........He stopped that on his own(maybe realized it looked kinda stoopid)....

Him and Cam have zero in common......Cam showed up from day 1 ready to work, is sober, plays from the pocket, has an NFL body and work ethic and he always plays great......

Johnny hasnt shown any of these traits yet......

Archived