THE BROWNS BOARD

Rush Defense

gftChris

So I was having a look at the figures from the season and, as expected, it's not pretty reading. However, things may at last be starting to look up. Over the first 7 games of the season, our best performance came, unsurprisingly, against the Titans, and Chargers, 'holding' them to 4.3 YPC. The average figures for those seven games:

~30 attempts

151 yards

~5 ypc

Our last three games - AZ, Bengals & Steelers - on the other hand, have looked like this:

32 attempts

110 yards

3.4 ypc

Now, I'm not saying that's great, it's all sorted and work is done, we're now a power house against the run. But consider:

- these are three playoff teams, most likely;

- arizona ran it 38 times with Chris Johnson, who's one of the leading rushers in the league (and was around first or second until then) and we held them to 3.1 yards per carry;

- bengals managed 152 yards on 37 carries, which is 4.1 ypc - squarely average defensive play. Take out the big reverse, 25 yard TD from Sanu, and you get 127 yards on 36 carries, for around 3.5 ypc

- the steelers were without Bell, sure, but deangelo williams was coming off of a 170 yard game, and their QB situation was 'delicate' at best; I'm pretty sure they would have loved to run it 50 times, but they couldn't.

Current leaders in rush D is Jacksonville (no, really), and they're giving up a familiar looking 3.4 ypc.

So is the future looking rosier on at least one thing? Maybe. We'll see how it holds up against an extremely banged up ravens. Hopefully we get another smothering performance like against williams, forcing matt schaub to throw picks aplenty.

Maybe we're just selling out to stop the run? Not having a pass rush and relying on the liker of Poyer and Bademosi as major secondary contributors isn't helping matters for sure.

I think a lot of teams ran well against us early but went away from the run when they got up, almost to let up on us...try something different. I think those run stats could be a lot worse cause I remember multiple games were I was like what is this OC thinking not running on us when they get 5 yds without even trying hard.

Man in the Titans game we allows McCluster to run for 98 yards he only has 137 yards in the other 10 games he has played. The Chargers only ran it 21 times.

The Cardinals game stands out as probably the best but Palmer did pass for 374 yards. Like you said are we selling out just a bit to much now to stop the run that teams have no problems passing on us.

Even in the Steelers game when we scored early in the 4th to make it 24 to 9 the Steelers promptly started running the ball on us.

Good stuff gftChris. Once again it gets back to what we all thought what could have been & its just not good. Finally in the Shitburg game we started to see Shelton & the shift changes stop on 3rd down as a good adjustment. But then the boneheaded adjustments soon followed by only blitzing Ben 3 times & letting him pick our banged up secondary apart. The absolute biggest problem with this run defense that shows up in every game for the last 2 seasons is the big run gash that we give up to any RB that could have been stopped if only the first guy would have tackled him.. But I do agree, if we give our best unit time to gell without all the subbing guessing situations things may change..

All the numbers aside what will help the d the most is an offense that will keep them on the side line or let them play with a lead

How about the defense stop someone once in awhile? The offense scored plenty in several games only to have the defense give the lead right back to the other team.

the big run gash that we give up to any RB that could have been stopped if only the first guy would have tackled him.

Of all of the Browns problems, the most infuriating is all of the missed tackles. There are many aspects of any given Browns game that piss me off, but nothing gets me yelling at the TV like defenders bouncing off of the ball carrier.

Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography

Statistics can be misleading, and as ever in the NFL the sample size isn't really big enough to be definitive. That's why I'm hoping that this is the start of a new trend of being competent run defenders, rather than a blip caused by bad luck of opponents and selling out against the run.

What prompted this all, btw, was reading about Nate Orchard becoming our best run stuffing OLB. Sack leader in college last year and he's being asked to set the edge. The mind boggles. Can someone with PFF - Mud? - have a look and see how he's grading out, if he's actually good or just best of a bad bunch?

Statistics can be misleading, and as ever in the NFL the sample size isn't really big enough to be definitive. That's why I'm hoping that this is the start of a new trend of being competent run defenders, rather than a blip caused by bad luck of opponents and selling out against the run.

What prompted this all, btw, was reading about Nate Orchard becoming our best run stuffing OLB. Sack leader in college last year and he's being asked to set the edge. The mind boggles. Can someone with PFF - Mud? - have a look and see how he's grading out, if he's actually good or just best of a bad bunch?

He's been average overall. Positive marks against the run and just over negative as a pass rusher. His awareness off the edge was impressive. Two batted passes were nice.

I put quite a bit of stock into Orchard before the draft. While he hasn't exploded as a pass rusher yet (not that I expected him too) he's been improving as a perimeter run defender each week.

Stats do or don't reflect the back or TE that nobody has covered standing in the middle of the field that a LB is usually assigned too? Mingo is suppose to be our best in coverage, but am I wrong saying Nate is the one usually on the field when this happens?

He's been average overall. Positive marks against the run and just over negative as a pass rusher. His awareness off the edge was impressive. Two batted passes were nice.

I put quite a bit of stock into Orchard before the draft. While he hasn't exploded as a pass rusher yet (not that I expected him too) he's been improving as a perimeter run defender each week.

Thanks, I was curious. So he's basically an average OLB? I mean, that's got to be a big upgrade on how Kruger's played this year.

Supposing we draft Bosa - I know I'm getting ahead of myself there - he's a 4-3 DE; Orchard was a 4-3 DE before we drafted him also. So a switch to a base 4-3 might get the best out of both of those guys, but what about Danny Shelton? Can he be a 4-3 DT? He'd presumably have to shed some weight, maybe 30-40lbs. Desmond Bryant could go back inside where he was at Oakland, I think with no problem, and Jamie Meder would be ok I guess. Armonty and Kruger both look more like 4-3 DEs than 3-4 OLBs. Then you have Dansby as your Mike, flanked by any two of Kirksey, Robertson and Mingo.

Just ruminating, nothing I say or think will ever have an impact of course.

Supposing we draft Bosa - I know I'm getting ahead of myself there - he's a 4-3 DE; Orchard was a 4-3 DE before we drafted him also. So a switch to a base 4-3 might get the best out of both of those guys, but what about Danny Shelton? Can he be a 4-3 DT? He'd presumably have to shed some weight, maybe 30-40lbs. Desmond Bryant could go back inside where he was at Oakland, I think with no problem, and Jamie Meder would be ok I guess. Armonty and Kruger both look more like 4-3 DEs than 3-4 OLBs. Then you have Dansby as your Mike, flanked by any two of Kirksey, Robertson and Mingo.

Just ruminating, nothing I say or think will ever have an impact of course.

I think this coaching staff....which is supposed to be defense oriented, would be too stuck in its ways.....to insistent to employ their "system" to be flexible enough to actually let their players play at what they are best at.

Our quickest pass rusher is never allowed to rush the passer......so what does that tell you?

Thanks, I was curious. So he's basically an average OLB? I mean, that's got to be a big upgrade on how Kruger's played this year.

Isn't the bigger point that in Orchard we have a real example of drafted talent developing under our current staff?

Agreed, Orchard was one of those guys just inside the bubbl that I wouldn't mind seeing being kept. He can play our edge in either a 3-4 or 4-3. He's def worth looking at for another year. If Kruger is still on the roster next year, which i doubt cause we were already shopping him...than I hope at least they put some weight back on him and have him, Orchard and Monty being DE"s.

Archived