THE BROWNS BOARD

Nate Orchard is a bust.

WalterWhite

Drugs affect performance. Wife-beating and raping do not. The NFL only cares about keeping bad people off the field insofar as fans choose to act outraged about it. It is much more concerned with making sure guys can perform at a high level. IMO, there's no comparison.

Not to mention that one activity stems from the same thing that the NFL prizes... aggressive behavior.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two questions:
1. WTF?
2. Will you give mud permission to use it as his avatar? Tour

1. LOL. I guess, it's because in college, Josh Gordon saw marijuana, acted like a bunny and hopped to it. :)

2. Ain't mine, I just found it on the internet....see... it's a flower pot.....

(bunny...hop to it..is one of my favorite things to say to friends' kids, and nieces and nephews)

lol... Even I am not old enough to remember the bunn...

Oops... never mind... just did. That tune had better not get stuck in my head...

Ok all I get out of this is 1. Orchard with time won't suck. 2. Pet Rabbits still smell even with Pothead. 3. Rocky Raccoon was a great Beatles tune & now we know the real reason that "Rocky Raccoon went back to his room" ;)

Yup, sad but true. The 'war on drugs' thing, with government propaganda portraying drug users as the scum of society, has stigmatised drug users to the point that fans are (or were, at least) more outraged by drug use/abuse than the other things.

I don't agree with any of that, but will accept your first sentence.

I'm a big Josh Gordon supporter. He failed a recent test for alcohol...and that cost him an entire year, and possibly his career. Was it his fault? Oh yeah, it's totally his fault. Is it total crap? Yep...100%. So you're going to ban a player for consuming a beverage you shamelessly advertise for during your games? Huh, NFL? Whatever, I don't want to get into that now. I believe in him. I probably shouldn't, but I do.

I'm nowhere NEAR ready to label Orchard ANYTHING. Is he an allstar? Heck no, but was he supposed to be after 5 games as a rookie? Did he not have two of the biggest plays of the game when we needed him most? 3rd and goal he showed exceptional closing speed and made Flacco throw it out of bounds, AND he didn't hit Flacco. I was worried when I saw the play that he would drive him into the ground, thus giving the Ravens 1st and goal from the 1...but he pulled up. Our others rookies and young players got stupid personal foul penalties, but he was smart. He also jammed Forsett on the Ravens' two point conversion, effectively shutting down his route. Yes, he had multiple mistakes, but at least he made a positive impact as well. You want to talk bust, we can talk about Mingo all day long. I hated the pick when we made it, and I hate it now. Or we can talk about Justin Gilbert. That pick I liked, but it hasn't worked out. Bad scouting, bad luck, or whatever...it sucks. We needed him desperately, but it hasn't happened. It's curious that he is SO bad that Johnson Bademosi is playing in front of him. WTF?

Since joining the NFL, he has failed 1 fucking drug test for WEED! ONE! And that was by the smallest second hand margin recordable.

He failed his first one for medicine that you and I would be able to take. It was prescribed by his doctor for his strep-throat.

And the last one was for the same thing 60,000 fans are going to be doing at FirstEnergy Stadium this weekend.

Get over yourself.

So what is he? The fact is the guy is giving up millions of dollars because for some reason he can't follow the rules and stay away from drugs and alcohol when he has to. I don't care if its prescribed, he needs to know the rules, that's on him. I don't care how small the amount is in his system, he knows that if he gets caught he is done, yet sure enough he does it anyway or hangs around it anyway and gets busted, that's on him. This has happened to him 3 fucking times (not counting college). He knows the rules, he knows what's at stake, yet he can't stay away from drugs/alcohol/parties/whatever. Stop making excuses for the guy. Ok fine, if he's not a pot head, and not an alcoholic, he's just a dumb ass mother fucker.

Although I say he's a dumb as mother fucking pot head. Dude did choose pot over all that money to play a game! Sounds like a pot head to me. Afro man would be proud.

Can't label him a bust after a few games, right? Granted, he hasn't exactly blown the doors off, but come on...

Can't label him a bust after a few games, right? Granted, he hasn't exactly blown the doors off, but come on...

C'mon, we are Browns fans! If a guy isn't an all star from day one he is a useless bum until he has a good game at which point we will cartwheel down the streets singing the praises of our new best friend.

C'mon, we are Browns fans! If a guy isn't an all star from day one he is a useless bum until he has a good game at which point we will cartwheel down the streets singing the praises of our new best friend.

That is until he has a bad game. Then he will be a bum again. In Cleveland your great or you suck. No in between.

I'm just so over it. I feel like the wheels are coming off. The Johnny crap, now Haden rumors of laundering, Farmer suspension...it's all too much. And now we play against another solid defense, and then we play the Cardinals, who look like a top 5 team (if not higher). For some reason, the Rams game seems like a 50/50 game to me. They don't scare me all that much, and I want to see our jitterbug WR's on turf. My only concern is that a team can only take so many of these back breaking defeats before they break mentally. Blowouts are rare in the NFL, but boy do we need one...

• 1 month later...

I'm still waiting for that Aldon Smith suspension to kick in so I can stop saying we should have signed him.

Us, too... ;)

Well....the wait is over and no one even noticed.....

......as promised, he is now suspended through at least next November, when he can apply for reinstatement....;)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000582383/article/raiders-lb-aldon-smith-suspended-for-one-year

So if you rape, beat women, punch out your wife, or kill dogs ... you get a second chnce in the NFL, but if you dont abide with their rules against alcohol and pot, but never harm a hair on another person ... you are trash and can't play.

Ok, got it.

Z

Or deflate footballs or spy on another teams walk through. There is a definite concern for the double standards given out by Goodall. Certain teams get treated better.

I'm not ready to declare Nate Orchard anything right now. I saw an article saying something like "Orchard thriving against the run", but I didn't read it. I'm sure it was an effort by the Browns' beat writers to find something positive, so Orchard probably had 4 tackles in one game and they are making a big deal about it. I think we'd all like to see Orchard have a breakout game, and grab a couple of sacks, force a fumble, or something like that. But he hasn't done anything that would lead me to believe he's a bust.

I'm not ready to declare Nate Orchard anything right now............. I'm sure it was an effort by the Browns' beat writers to find something positive, so Orchard probably had 4 tackles in one game and they are making a big deal about it.....I think we'd all like to see Orchard have a breakout game, and grab a couple of sacks, force a fumble, or something like that. But he hasn't done anything that would lead me to believe he's a bust.

Agreed....in that I wouldnt say he's playing great.....BUT I would say he's our best OLB right now......and is playing better than the other guys....and is definitely making WAY more plays per snap then any of the others......

Which is, at least, a positive......his snaps are WAY up the last 5 games, so you know the coaches are liking his play too(though it is costing Kruger and Mingo a lot of playing time)

The sad part is that you mentioned him having 4 tackles in a game and, believe it or not, he is the ONLY OLB on the team that has 4 tackles in a game....(seriously)(that is not a lie)(he's the only one).......in fact, he has almost as many tackles in only 3 games, as Mingo & Kruger have gotten the whole season......which is more of an indictment of those 2.....(Im gonna say Mingo was better last year, when he had only one arm)

But, in re to him getting sacks?........its probably not gonna happen anytime soon, as they are pretty much using him(and Mingo) as cover backers, while Kruger and Armonty are getting all the rush opportunities......and if they send Orchard after the QB, then Kruger might cry about it and Armonty will be forced to cover and then we will hear about it for weeks to come......

and if they send Orchard after the QB, then Kruger might cry about it and Armonty will be forced to cover and then we will hear about it for weeks to come......

and what? who the fuck cares if Krugers cryin about it? I doubt Pettine would. I want that dude on the trading block ASAP! I would be throwing him in with maybe JM to anybody with a top 10 pick next year. That stat you posted about Orchard being the only OLB'er with 4 tackles in a game is facepalming temple rubbing infuriating. I mean think about that, usually you pick up 1/2 tackle if you manage to swipe your hand on the runner as he's going down. Its saying how "not close" are edges are getting to the ball carriers.

And some of you are hesitant about drafting a kid who has done nothing but make tackles for losses his entire college career. I don't get it. You'd think people would be salivating over a run stopping machine that oh by the way, also has a tendency to murder QB's.

That stat you posted about Orchard being the only OLB'er with 4 tackles in a game is facepalming temple rubbing infuriating.

I mean think about that, usually you pick up 1/2 tackle if you manage to swipe your hand on the runner as he's going down. Its saying how "not close" are edges are getting to the ball carriers.

Exactly how I feel...100%...it's beyond bad.......Kruger actually has 4 games without a single tackle(40%) and Mingo has 5(50%)......

How can your starting OLB's not get ANY tackles in half the games they play???......It;s completely insane......

Here's some fun stats to think about.....

Orchard gets a tackle every 15 snaps

Bryant gets a tackle every 21 snaps

Mingo gets a tackle every 22 snaps

Kruger gets a tackle every 44 snaps....

Which means, to me, that Orchard tackles at 3 times the efficiency that Kruger does,,,,,,and Mingo and Armonty are twice as efficient(and they arent even good)......(totally embarrassing)....Kruger should just be cut, not traded(in fact, I think we tried and had no takers)

Sorry Cleve, but you're part of the problem here. This guy has shown the ability to, even on a losing team with little help from the other side, be a double digit sack guy. He's having a down season, clearly, but he's obviously got it in him to get to that level again, it's not like he's 35 and has diminishing physical skills or whatever.

This is the same guy that had 11 sacks a year ago, right? I'm pretty sure if he's cut someone will pick him up the next day.

Yeah, Im sure someone would......Here are the 2 things Id point out...

#1) He is currently the fourth highest paid OLB in the league at $8m....but is ranked closer to 40th in tackles and sacks.....and dead last in coverage.....so, no one will trade for that contract and he is nowhere near worth it.....so, I say "cut" is the best answer..

#2) And, even though everyone wants to slay Pettine and Oneill for his play, that 11 sacks is the BEST he's ever had....and, in the 7 seasons he's played, he's had 32 sacks total....which is 4.5 per season......Yet, he wants to go public and blame his coaches for not using him right, when they are the ONLY ones who got him to double digit sacks to begin with......

Year before(with Horton) he had 4.....so, that 11 sacks is probably his "career season"......

And, being an OLB is a lot more than getting sacks......and he doesnt do ANY of the other stuff like cover, play the run, set the edge, etc......Really, you can send just about ANY OLB at the QB 500 times and get 11 sacks out of it....

Archived