THE BROWNS BOARD

Crowell gets second round tender

gftChris

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did you think? Connor's 4.65-second 40-yd was better than I expected, but nearly every other measure was worse.

Never saw this till now T. 40 was fast for him. Connor & K.Hunt fit rounds we may use, unless they know Crow's real intentions. Both always push forward & run physical. Connor was thought to have better hands,Vision & balance but not to shifty..not to sure about hands after combine. as said "some guys run faster being chased".seems to fit James..(seen nothing on Pitt Pro day?)

My position hasn't changed much on this since the original tender - anyone willing to give up a second round pick for Crowell is welcome to him. I'm happy to bring him back at that salary (2.8m?) and think he'd be pretty good behind our shiny new line, but there are plenty of serviceable backs available later in this draft or in free agency. Hell, even giving Duke Johnson more carries wouldn't be a horrible idea.

If we keep him, great, if we get a second round pick for him, great. Maybe we can also throw Brock into the deal...

Pittsburgh pro-day is scheduled for March 22. Here is the full pro-day schedule for the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000787820/article/2017-nfl-draft-pro-day-schedule-and-results-by-date

Seems to me that a lot of these Pro Days should be combined...and maybe they are though I could not tell from this link. I know in the past a lot of the Ohio MAC schools would hold their Pro Days at Ohio St. when OSU was holding theirs.

Most big schools will do a pro day, but smaller school guys might latch on to other schools. I mean, if you're a receiver and your QB can't throw for shit, you don't want him to be the one to help you show off.

Why not?

For me it's field vision...

Yes, he amassed some impressive stats, but they were often aided by some amazing, unmistakable holes either created by our OL (that was seen as overrated by many here) or game circumstances (trailing by more than one score late).

When he first joined us we were a ZBS team and he struggled to ID seams and make decisions. As we've moved to a power run game his numbers have improved because few decisions are required of him. However, when they are, e.g, when a play breaks down, his ZBS problem resurfaces.

I like Crow. He's a good runner. He's a good receiver out of the backfield. And he's good at picking up the blitz as well. He's easily worth more than the $2.8mm tender and I would like to see him stay a Brown. However, he's replaceable. It would be hard to turn down a second round pick for him.

But I will be surprised if we have to make that decision.

Sounds like a coaching problem that can be fixed.

Having a legit threat at QB does wonders for the run game. Play action is deadly.

More versa vice in my mind... as in the run game sets up PAP. But when you're trailing by two scores both tend to go out the window.

As for coaching... it's RB101 that you cut off the tail of a blocker, but when the RB doesn't do that then I don't see how it's on the coach.

post-2853-0-51110600-1489523587_thumb.jpg post-2853-0-59958400-1489523603_thumb.jpg

'fatty' running a 4.5 40. Woe is him.

oh yeah I forgot...Straight line speed is all that matters.

Dude came in outta shape and tried a silly little lie. But yeah..Let's burn a high pick on a RB when we don't even need one.

• 1 month later...

Not gonna happen.

Tick Tock..Crow as a RFA has till this Friday to sign his 2.7M Offer Sheet. Atkinson re-signed days ago.D. Jackson & Duke are under a contract. Let the Games begin Friday? But...If Crow does not sign, he can't play anywhere? So Crow doesn't accrue another season & Browns can tender him again next year..PEN PLEASE!! Draft RB visits continue..BTW---^^(nice a$$ lady..from the late Jackie Gleason)..Gip, get your top pen pushers on this Crow.but.If offered a 2nd rounder? Is it this Draft or 2018 draft?

I like Crow, and I would've killed to see him play more with a lead and a healthier offensive line. We lost Bitonio and we went completely to garbage instantly. Bitonio HAS to find a way to stay healthy.

PS I'd rather sign Johnny than Kaepernick.

WSS

The difference is that Kaepernick has proven that he can play a bit. JFF has not.

But, I say: Go for it. If the Browns don't get the QB they want (and, yes, we really don't know what they really want. Many say it is MT...Ghoolie thinks it is "Black Tarkenton" i.e. Watson, others have mocked other QBs to the Browns), then do a similar deal to what they did with RGIII. Sign him to a minimal deal. It costs them nothing but money, which the Browns have plenty of, and you see how he fits into Hue Jackson's system.

Only one condition: I don't care if he wants to protest for or against some kind of civil rights...I would just disallow him to wear those cop/pig socks or anything of the sort. No disparaging police...who he would need to protect him if he went off in some stupid direction with his rhetoric.

Tick Tock..Crow as a RFA has till this Friday to sign his 2.7M Offer Sheet. Atkinson re-signed days ago.D. Jackson & Duke are under a contract. Let the Games begin Friday? But...If Crow does not sign, he can't play anywhere? So Crow doesn't accrue another season & Browns can tender him again next year..PEN PLEASE!! Draft RB visits continue..BTW---^^(nice a$$ lady..from the late Jackie Gleason)..Gip, get your top pen pushers on this Crow.but.If offered a 2nd rounder? Is it this Draft or 2018 draft?

The second round tender consequences are a little vague- BUT. The way I take it is he doesn't sign the tender, he can (and should already have been) negotiating with other teams. They can offer him a better deal than the Browns $2 million or so. But if he signs elsewhere, the Browns will get a second round pick from that team. Obviously to date no other team thinks he's worth a second rounder with better RB talent likely available in the upcoming draft. He'll probably be back on the Browns for a one year prove it deal @ the $2.7 million tender. Boo-hoo, most of us peons would take that amount of cash for a year, and promptly retire.

Archived