THE BROWNS BOARD

How Did Mingo Look Last Night?

alporcini

He's at the level where I would call him a disruptor but not a finisher. The guy seems to be in the backfield a lot (which is great) but can't seem to make the play a good amount of the time (which is bad). The potential is as clear as day with him though, if the guy puts it all together he could easily be a 10+ sack guy.

Edit: I also would like to add that I partly hope he tears it up because "Mingo ate my baby" would be an awesome fantasy football team name.

He's at the level where I would call him a disruptor but not a finisher. The guy seems to be in the backfield a lot (which is great) but can't seem to make the play a good amount of the time (which is bad). The potential is as clear as day with him though, if the guy puts it all together he could easily be a 10+ sack guy.

I'd say that's pretty spot on. The guy has some serious shiftiness but doesn't always put himself in position for the money shot. If l were his Dline coach l'd give him a set of weights to strengthen his grip so he can grab an arm or a jersey and not let go, 'cause he's gonna be around the ball.

I think he'd make one heck of a will or sam in a 4-3. As a 3-4 olb he's still a liability on run plays. Plus his rushing style is strictly outside edge or inside stunt. If an OL gets their hands on him he's usually finished. That being said he's the only one of our outside rushers getting to the qb. I just see how good he is when they run stunts and whatnot for him. He would be murder to pick up if he was being blitzed from all over the field as a 4-3 LB. So what I'm saying is we should be in a 4-3 most of the time from what I'm seeing from our personnel. Let Mingo get back down to his college weight, where he was even more freakishly athletic....and move him to the will. It doesn't speak well for our defensive staff that they put him in positions where tackles can grab a hold of him, that's not properly utilizing him.

I think he'd make one heck of a will or sam in a 4-3. As a 3-4 olb he's still a liability on run plays. Plus his rushing style is strictly outside edge or inside stunt. If an OL gets their hands on him he's usually finished. That being said he's the only one of our outside rushers getting to the qb. I just see how good he is when they run stunts and whatnot for him. He would be murder to pick up if he was being blitzed from all over the field as a 4-3 LB. So what I'm saying is we should be in a 4-3 most of the time from what I'm seeing from our personnel. Let Mingo get back down to his college weight, where he was even more freakishly athletic....and move him to the will. It doesn't speak well for our defensive staff that they put him in positions where tackles can grab a hold of him, that's not properly utilizing him.

From the few times I've seen the 9 tech stunt called for Mingo he's been stonewalled with one exception against the Skins. He doesn't have the strength and ability to convert speed to power. When they are called he goes straight on to the guard and doesn't try to shoot to either shoulder. Even then, when you're engaged on a guard, you have to try and get under his pads and drive him back. He just doesn't do that yet.

Not worried, for pass rushers year 3 is the magical one for noticed improvement.

That sack was amazing. His body control and ability to stop-start-change direction is impressive. (Still needs to man up against the run)

Thank you gents. I truly believe that if he gets his shit together he's gonna be a superstar in this league. I only hope and pray it's for the Browns.

From what I've seen this preseason he's all over the field. Just usually not the guy who makes the play.

Maybe an undisciplined disruptor?

That sack was amazing. His body control and ability to stop-start-change direction is impressive.

TBH... when I saw it live I thought his knee was a goner...

Mingo has superstar written all over him, BUT he needs to learn how to tackle & he will. Keep in mind that the kid has only played from his Jr year in high school forward, then had to switch positions. I don't know whether or not he HAS a ceiling! Tremendous athlete, smart, impeccable character (credit his influence for the rise of Armonty Bryant). If there is one thing the previous regime did right, it was drafting this kid.

Mike

Maybe an undisciplined disruptor?

TBH... when I saw it live I thought his knee was a goner...

TBH... when I saw it live I thought my knee was a goner... ;) Just watching that play made me hurt all over.

Edit: I also would like to add that I partly hope he tears it up because "Mingo ate my baby" would be an awesome fantasy football team name.

So would Dan Mingo

From the few times I've seen the 9 tech stunt called for Mingo he's been stonewalled with one exception against the Skins. He doesn't have the strength and ability to convert speed to power. When they are called he goes straight on to the guard and doesn't try to shoot to either shoulder. Even then, when you're engaged on a guard, you have to try and get under his pads and drive him back. He just doesn't do that yet.

Not worried, for pass rushers year 3 is the magical one for noticed improvement.

Stunting Mingo from the 9 plays against every strength he has. It's not a good call for him. He'll never be an inside stunt rusher, which makes him one-dimensional.

I like him, though.

You mean Mingo's knee, right?

Yup... and as D did, I felt a little something in my knee when I first saw it.

I agree off the line he's a pure edge rusher. Still think they should have kept him at 235-240 and made him a 4-3 sam or will. I think he'd convert speed to power more effecitively if he hit the line with about a 5 yd spool up.

I think he's just too long to generate power. He's a finesse guy. And that alone can be enough, if he can master an inside spin move to complement his outside rush. I think he got his first sack on an inside spin, but is not something he uses often.

well long translates to power on the field...if you can get your hands on a guy before he gets his hands on you, even if he's stronger, you got him. I think Mingo would make one of the nastiest blitzing LB'ers in the NFL. I know we're not getting rid of the 3-4 anytime soon so I wouldn't mind seeing some red zone packages that have him lining up next to Dansby and we keep Kruger and Sheard in there at the OLB spots. I dont' think this would work well until the field gets condensed near the goal line, but it would give the offensive line some fits having to deal with the normal power rushers while still having to keep an eye on the most dynamic guy on the field. Tough to think about taking Kirksey out though...that kid played himself into the starter role imo. He's been far and away outperforming Roberstson. If Kruger and Sheard finally start producing what they're supposed to, we could have the #1 defense in the NFL. If our edge pressure comes strictly from Mingo though, as much as I like him...he's too much of a liability in run protection to keep in there for extended periods cause he'd wear down having to fight off 300lb tackles every down. We use him properly though and he could be one of the most dynamic game changers in the NFL.

Yup... and as D did, I felt a little something in my knee when I first saw it.

I think he's just too long to generate power. He's a finesse guy. And that alone can be enough, if he can master an inside spin move to complement his outside rush. I think he got his first sack on an inside spin, but is not something he uses often.

well long translates to power on the field...if you can get your hands on a guy before he gets his hands on you, even if he's stronger, you got him. I think Mingo would make one of the nastiest blitzing LB'ers in the NFL. I know we're not getting rid of the 3-4 anytime soon so I wouldn't mind seeing some red zone packages that have him lining up next to Dansby and we keep Kruger and Sheard in there at the OLB spots. I dont' think this would work well until the field gets condensed near the goal line, but it would give the offensive line some fits having to deal with the normal power rushers while still having to keep an eye on the most dynamic guy on the field. Tough to think about taking Kirksey out though...that kid played himself into the starter role imo. He's been far and away outperforming Roberstson. If Kruger and Sheard finally start producing what they're supposed to, we could have the #1 defense in the NFL. If our edge pressure comes strictly from Mingo though, as much as I like him...he's too much of a liability in run protection to keep in there for extended periods cause he'd wear down having to fight off 300lb tackles every down. We use him properly though and he could be one of the most dynamic game changers in the NFL.

Getting your hands on someone earlier than they do you isn't the biggest qualification of power, leverage and low center of gravity are. Mingo can get his hands on the shoulders of a guard but it means nothing if he can't drive him back from being the low man and keeping his legs moving.

As for lining up Mingo at ILB. What purpose would that serve? You take a kid who has played most of his life with his hand in the ground, then ask him to play from a totally different stance. Even more important you ask him to go head on against offensive line man. That suites neither of his strengths. I'd like to point out he's the same weight as Von Miller whom is an every down linebacker. You simply believe that because he plays at more of a 9 technique role that he's going to be constantly taking on 300lb lineman? I think its time for you to brush up on where the coaching staff has been using him.

Getting your hands on someone earlier than they do you isn't the biggest qualification of power, leverage and low center of gravity are. Mingo can get his hands on the shoulders of a guard but it means nothing if he can't drive him back from being the low man and keeping his legs moving.

As for lining up Mingo at ILB. What purpose would that serve? You take a kid who has played most of his life with his hand in the ground, then ask him to play from a totally different stance. Even more important you ask him to go head on against offensive line man. That suites neither of his strengths. I'd like to point out he's the same weight as Von Miller whom is an every down linebacker. You simply believe that because he plays at more of a 9 technique role that he's going to be constantly taking on 300lb lineman? I think its time for you to brush up on where the coaching staff has been using him.

Good post.

+1

I've also noticed Mingo misses a lot of tackles and isn't as sure of a tackler as some. BUT, the dude is so fast and so distruptive he just blows shit up!!! Then guys like Kruger get the sack and the DBs get panic passes that are easy to pick off. I think a lot of his misses are him flying so fast he flys by. He'll get it together with time. I do wish he was a killer with his hits, but Ill take what he's bringing now.

Archived