THE BROWNS BOARD

Matt Prater/Josh Gordon

StocktonShorts

Miktoxic,

StocktonShorts already brought up in detail within his original post about the difference between beer and drugs:

"Josh Gordon commits the exact same violation of Stage 3 with a trace amount of weed, and hes suspended 16 games. The hammer. Now you can say weed and beer is different but not the way Stage 3 of NFL Substance Abuse Program is written, any violation is a violation and 16 games is mandatory. However with Matt Prater that was changed because "hey just a few beers on vacation" yet with Josh Gordon its "Nope, cant change the rule, it says 16 games and thats the way the CBA was written, sorry"

Then he asks why the different sentences. I'm not a mind reader but I think the only difference between the two cases is one guy's black and one white. He could be right but I just think it's more about the illegal substance. Hopefully I didn't offend any one. Not my intention.

A 3 day meth binge sounds pretty good right about now however.

Regardless of the legality of the two substances the CBA rules governing them in state 3 is the same. If one can be adjusted both can be adjusted plain and simple. I am the first to say Gordon needs a lot of help and a lot of growing up but I hope he sues the shit ouf of the NFL and wins. The manner in which the entire thing was handled is ridiculous.

Had josh not lawyered up and dismissed any chance of a settlement, this would have not taken as long as it had. There wasn't anything wrong with how it was handled. Josh rolled the dice and lost....

where do any of you see documentation of the fact that obtaining an attorney to challenge the suspension and discussing a settlement are mutually exclusive?? I have seen several people act like Josh made a mistake retaining and attorney. Seriously?????

"The four-game suspension, which is expected to be announced Monday, was part of an agreement reached between Prater's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, and the league, so an appeal is not expected. The NFL had initially threatened a one-year suspension."

In the end.....I think Josh got what he deserves...that wont change and I think there is a LOT of Union - NFL politics here that no one really understands or is talking about.....the NFL just followed the guideline, as they do in every case....oh and I also get that every case is different and each is weighed within the rules, so Rice and Prater have zero relevance to me....

I cannot disagree with what you would do to Josh if he worked for you in the company you own. You do not however own the NFL or even a team in it. To say the Prater ruling has zero relevance is far below your obvious level of intelligence. IF Prater was in Stage 3 AND there was flexibility to reduce the one year suspension to 4 games then that same flexibility could have and should have been extended to Gordon. The legality of one substance vs the other is irrelevant as its not an issue of legality but rather of rules within the CBA. Some have stated the vast differences in penalty and delay are due to the fact Josh retained an attorney. That is simply not true considering Prater did the same.

I am not saying Gordon doesn't have an issue, I am not saying he is not irresponsible and a dumb ass but I am saying the punishment needs to be levied equitably. I could be wrong but I predict this goes to court, delays the suspension and ultimately is reversed. By the time the next CBA is completed the pass fail levels for marijuana will be brought more into line with the "norm" which is far above the current NFL standard.

Archived