THE BROWNS BOARD

Schwartz..

Cbus Brownie

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI all y'all. The Schwartz has played really very well for most of the last two years. At many times he has been rock solid. But he does get off to slow starts.

If he plays the entire season the way he did this preseason, then I would begin to worry. But let's wait and see. Then if it continues this bad...sure, go get someone in the next draft.....who may or may not be any better.

don't care if he kicks cats. don't care if our QB sniffs coke.

what this team has looked like in the preseason (yeah, i know.it's the preseason) i'll take greg lloyd, ray lewis, ritchie incognito and mussolini if it means we win 8 freakin games.

Pettine sticks up for his players... so far...

Unfortunately Schwartz is the best we've got on our squad right now. Did anyone see how easily Michael Sam went around our 2nd string RT?

That was Wallace and actually he was our 2nd String LT per the initial depth chart (also backed up Joe T last season). Not that you'd guess it based upon his drops at RT, but he is much more fluid on the left side. Dropping with the opposite leg is not automatic... you could almost hear him thinking. More reps should help..

I think trying Wallace on the right side shows that Pettine's "endorsement" of Schwartz is not that solid.

I am in Cancun on vacation and way to lazy to dig up old posts but this is a great example why I touted taking a stud like Greg Robinson or the likes in the draft.

Robinson has looked "so good" at LT against Clay Jr. that they quickly moved him to LG. Clay gave him a spin move and Greg never touched him. He's no stud... yet...

Winston Justice was just released.

Once upon a time Justice was a very good, USC prospect and had a couple good years in Philly. Then IIRC he was hurt and starting bouncing around some...

FYI all y'all. The Schwartz has played really very well for most of the last two years. At many times he has been rock solid. But he does get off to slow starts.

He has never played "really well". I think Cousins' spectacularly bad playing distracted you... ;)

Mitchell Schwartz is considered one of the best RT's in the league per MIke pettine? Is that for real? I can understand a coach sticking up for his player, I get that, but to go the extra step of saying he's one of the best RT's in the league....there has to be some statistical backing to that right? Pettine wouldn't just say that if there wasn't an ounce of validity to it...would he? I'm confused.

Mitchell Schwartz is considered one of the best RT's in the league per MIke pettine? Is that for real? I can understand a coach sticking up for his player, I get that, but to go the extra step of saying he's one of the best RT's in the league....there has to be some statistical backing to that right? Pettine wouldn't just say that if there wasn't an ounce of validity to it...would he? I'm confused.

I've seen Schwartz ranked anywhere from 5-15 in Right Tackles in the NFL.

Our offensive line is solid as fuck.

You will not remember these preseason games once the season starts.

Zombo

I've seen Schwartz ranked anywhere from 5-15 in Right Tackles in the NFL.

Our offensive line is solid as fuck.

You will not remember these preseason games once the season starts.

Zombo

Problem is I remember seeing Schwartz getting blown up last year during the season. Getting beat around the edge, fine....your timing does probably need to be honed during the pre-season. But guys taking an OL and walking him into the qb is indicative of something deeper than just rusty timing.

Damn sure hope you are right Z, but I just don't see it so far. He's being beaten like the bastard step-child right now.

But if he sucks all season we are guaranteed at least one top 5 draft choice next year. And if Buffalo continues what I saw this weekend, make it two.

Problem is I remember seeing Schwartz getting blown up last year during the season. Getting beat around the edge, fine....your timing does probably need to be honed during the pre-season. But guys taking an OL and walking him into the qb is indicative of something deeper than just rusty timing.

He had a bad start last year, but I thought he was lights out last year down the stretch when Cambell was starting.

I just think we are getting overexcited about preseason games, I hope I'm not wrong. If you are not 100% into the game, these NFL defensive ends will kill you, and the rams have great ones.

I expect Schwartzie to be balling a week form Sunday.

Zombo

i know it's preseason. man, don't we all. i remember years back we were great in preseason and absolutely stunk it up when it came time to play for real.

BUT

if you're good, you're good, be it in may or friggin october. if you're a star you shine all the time. you don't just flip a switch and all of a sudden you go from dud to stud.

i'm sorry schwartz has shown me nothing. like i said to me he's got this year to prove himself. call me a glass half empty type of guy cuz i just don't see it. if he performs like this during the reg season they'll be flying in dudes in wheelchairs to stick on the right side.

let me be wrong. please. it won't be the first or last time that's for sure. but i ain't blind, not yet.

Well, ain't this the life of an offensive lineman. Yes, last year on 99 plays out of 100 The Schwartz handled his opponents....but on that 100th play he got beat.

And yes, he has had a slow start....just like he did last year and his rookie year.....but it only lasted a game or two until he settled down and fairly well dominated.

So...give it a rest...give it some time.

I mean some say that the way Colin Kaepernick played this preseason that he must have thought he was back at Turlock Pitman. In other words, he looked like a high schooler. Maybe he should be benched, cut, drawn, quartered, like some of you want to do with The Schwartz. That would be bad. You would not want to be on the dark side of The Schwartz.

Looks like we just signed 2 OL's.....and one is a RG.....so, no matter how confident the Browns said they were.....not really...

Here it is:

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns on Monday were awarded OL Karim Barton and OL Donald Hawkins via waivers from Philadelphia. General Manager Ray Farmer made the announcement.

Barton is a 6-3, 313-pound rookie out of Morgan State. Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Philadelphia on May 10, Barton played as a reserve in all three of the Eagles’ preseason games. After transferring from Canyons Junior College, Barton started nine of 11 games at right tackle for Morgan State. Originally from Jamaica, Barton graduated from Verdugo Hills High School in Los Angeles.

Hawkins is 6-4, 310-pound rookie out of Texas. Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Philadelphia on May 10, Hawkins played as a reserve in all three of the Eagles’ preseason games. After transferring from Northwest Community College, Hawkins started 24 of his 25 games at Texas. Born in Memphis, Tenn., Hawkins graduated from Rosa Fort High School in Tunica, Miss.

Looks like we just signed 2 OL's.....and one is a RG.....so, no matter how confident the Browns said they were.....not really...

Here it is:

BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns on Monday were awarded OL Karim Barton and OL Donald Hawkins via waivers from Philadelphia. General Manager Ray Farmer made the announcement.

Barton is a 6-3, 313-pound rookie out of Morgan State. Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Philadelphia on May 10, Barton played as a reserve in all three of the Eagles’ preseason games. After transferring from Canyons Junior College, Barton started nine of 11 games at right tackle for Morgan State. Originally from Jamaica, Barton graduated from Verdugo Hills High School in Los Angeles.

Hawkins is 6-4, 310-pound rookie out of Texas. Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Philadelphia on May 10, Hawkins played as a reserve in all three of the Eagles’ preseason games. After transferring from Northwest Community College, Hawkins started 24 of his 25 games at Texas. Born in Memphis, Tenn., Hawkins graduated from Rosa Fort High School in Tunica, Miss.

cast offs from another team, probably will be part of our final cuts also.

Go back and watch his feet on every play. He has no quickness to them whatsoever. He's more suited to guard. Right now we don't have the solution at RT.

I get it... you've never watched the Browns until the last 3 preseason games. I hope you don't mind if I value your opinion about as highly as I value used toilet paper...

He has started rough and finished well the past 2 seasons. Hopefully his rough start is out of his system. It's not easy to upgrade Schwartz, unless you want to use a 1st round pick on a RT...

I get it... you've never watched the Browns until the last 3 preseason games. I hope you don't mind if I value your opinion about as highly as I value used toilet paper...

He has started rough and finished well the past 2 seasons. Hopefully his rough start is out of his system. It's not easy to upgrade Schwartz, unless you want to use a 1st round pick on a RT...

On the other hand we do tend to change either ownership, front office, coaching, quarterback, offensive scheme, and defense every few months so continuity isn't really all that its cracked up to be.

;)

WSS

unless you want to use a 1st round pick on a RT...

sure, why not?

people used to scoff at taking OL in the first round. now they're taken in the top 5. granted those are LTs but each position on the OL is important. just to have a LT and a C mean dick. i remember when corners and receivers were 'not' supposed to be taken in the first as well. i'm not saying use a top ten pick on a RT but if the best all around tackle than can play either side is available and our QB situation has been figured out and WRs are squared away what's the next biggest concern? fuggin right tackle. (unless of course schwartz 'finishes' strong again this year...........what the last 3 games?)

i say you got a hole, plug it.

Actually that is exactly what I would do. If someone is going to cost 2-3 games a year because he starts slow, then trade him off AFTER upgrading with a 1st rounder. No real contender can afford slow starters with slow feet.

Actually that is exactly what I would do. If someone is going to cost 2-3 games a year because he starts slow, then trade him off AFTER upgrading with a 1st rounder. No real contender can afford slow starters with slow feet.

It looks like a couple of huge assumptions there: Schwartz will cost us 2-3 games if he starts slowly??? No one could predict something like that. So thats ridiculous assumption #1. And drafting a new RG in the first round will be an upgrade??? Really? Says who? Could be a total bust. So thats ridiculous assumption #2.

Schwartz WAS a high draft choice, has started from day one and is only starting his third season now. O lines take time to gel. O linemen take time to develop. Give him a chance to grow. I think he'll be fine.

It looks like a couple of huge assumptions there: Schwartz will cost us 2-3 games if he starts slowly??? No one could predict something like that. So thats ridiculous assumption #1. And drafting a new RG in the first round will be an upgrade??? Really? Says who? Could be a total bust. So thats ridiculous assumption #2.

Schwartz WAS a high draft choice, has started from day one and is only starting his third season now. O lines take time to gel. O linemen take time to develop. Give him a chance to grow. I think he'll be fine.

you would draft a RG to come in and compete, not just trade schwartz away because as browns fans we all know how shitty some draft picks can turn out.

Archived