THE BROWNS BOARD

NFL team Name Origins Trivia

The Gipper

Here is trivia about NFL team name origins. This shouldn't be too hard for you...as there are only 32 possible answers:

1. What team is possibly named for a boxer?

2. What team got its name as a result of certain influences from the ancient Greeks?

3. What team got its name, essentially in homage to a person named Gasparilla?

4. What team is named after the Fordham College team?

5. What team was named to encourage the use of a credit card?

6. What team was named after the New Deal's National Recovery Administration's logo?

7. What team was named due to its location between two transportation hubs?

8. What team was named, essentially, after a group of buildings?

9. What team is named for both a song and for the date on which the franchise was awarded to the city?

10. What team is named after the nickname for the City's Mayor who was instrumental in bringing the team to that city?

11. What team is named for a company that distributed canned meat?

12. What team is named for an entertainer?

13. What team is named for a poem?

14. What team is named for a color? Hint: not The Browns.

Not possibly, The Cleveland Browns were named after the Detroit Browns Bomber. A man Arthur McBride idolized.

No multimillionaire is going to name HIS team after a coach. This is like Caesar naming his empire after a slave. Total fantasy that the Browns were named after Paul Brown. If Brown's name was Paul Smith, you think McBride would have called the team The Cleveland Smiths? Totally against all common sense and human nature that a coach would be chosen as the name of the team........... a coach............ a guy who could be fired............ THAT's what you people think the namesake of the Browns is?

Joe Louis............... That is the origin of the Browns name.

Not possibly, The Cleveland Browns were named after the Detroit Browns Bomber. A man Arthur McBride idolized.

No multimillionaire is going to name HIS team after a coach. This is like Caesar naming his empire after a slave. Total fantasy that the Browns were named after Paul Brown. If Brown's name was Paul Smith, you think McBride would have called the team The Cleveland Smiths? Totally against all common sense and human nature that a coach would be chosen as the name of the team........... a coach............ a guy who could be fired............ THAT's what you people think the namesake of the Browns is?

Joe Louis............... That is the origin of the Browns name.

Totally against common sense....yes....but the fact is that McBride gave PB total control of the team..and maybe that included the name of the team. And like I said...it may have been a wink wink nudge nudge situation. Years later, PB claimed that the team WAS named after him.

What I have advocated is that the Browns now put statues up of all three men.....Louis, PB and JB...and just declare that the team is now decreed to have its name in honor of all three of them.

My Solomon like wisdom shines through again!! B)

And further...is that all you got on this thread?

Totally against common sense....yes....but the fact is that McBride gave PB total control of the team..and maybe that included the name of the team. And like I said...it may have been a wink wink nudge nudge situation. Years later, PB claimed that the team WAS named after him.

What I have advocated is that the Browns now put statues up of all three men.....Louis, PB and JB...and just declare that the team is now decreed to have its name in honor of all three of them.

My Solomon like wisdom shines through again!! B)

And further...is that all you got on this thread?

No, I will get into later tonight. Work calls, but this is a good thread.

Here is the deal about PB pulling that "it was named after me" shit. He only did that to annoy Art Modell. Head the team truly been named for him, the type of man he was, he would have made a public statement in humility, reaffirming his commitment to excellence and to the community.

I just don't buy the PB deal, mainly because fans are so fucked up over this " the Browns are the most storied franchise in the NFL bullshit", that odds are it is the PB story that is folklore, and not the truth, which as you know, often stings, and more often than not is not popular. I don't idolize PB, in fact, what he did with regards to Bobby Mitchell was not just unprofessional and disrespectful, it was slimy. I always believed that Modell gave him what he deserved.

No, I will get into later tonight. Work calls, but this is a good thread.

Here is the deal about PB pulling that "it was named after me" shit. He only did that to annoy Art Modell. Head the team truly been named for him, the type of man he was, he would have made a public statement in humility, reaffirming his commitment to excellence and to the community.

I just don't buy the PB deal, mainly because fans are so fucked up over this " the Browns are the most storied franchise in the NFL bullshit", that odds are it is the PB story that is folklore, and not the truth, which as you know, often stings, and more often than not is not popular. I don't idolize PB, in fact, what he did with regards to Bobby Mitchell was not just unprofessional and disrespectful, it was slimy. I always believed that Modell gave him what he deserved.

I don't doubt that PB would say anything to piss off Art Modell...including the "the team is named after me" tale.

The two of them were like you and Zombo. Vainglorious and petty.

The thing about PB idolization though is this: he did win more championships than any pro football coach ever...and he did revolutionize the game.

BUT.....like Belichick with Brady....PB didn't win anything where he did not have Otto Graham playing QB for him. (so...who WAS the real genius. I claim in the case of BB/Brady...that it is Brady. Do you claim that it was Otto and not PB who was the real dominant factor in that team? Its arguable...just based on facts)

It seems hard to believe there is not a definitive answer on who the Browns were named after. I would have thought this would have gotten nailed down many years ago but now I don't think anyone will know with certainty.

"The only thing that seems certain is that there was a contest to name Arthur McBride's professional football team in 1946. Fans were asked to submit their suggestions along with an essay, with a $1,000 war bond going to the winner. Navy Sailor John J. Hartnett won the contest with the name Panthers, but it was never used."

It seems hard to believe there is not a definitive answer on who the Browns were named after. I would have thought this would have gotten nailed down many years ago but now I don't think anyone will know with certainty.

"The only thing that seems certain is that there was a contest to name Arthur McBride's professional football team in 1946. Fans were asked to submit their suggestions along with an essay, with a $1,000 war bond going to the winner. Navy Sailor John J. Hartnett won the contest with the name Panthers, but it was never used."

Nope...no definitive answer. We just know it was one guy or the other....and the other is the subject of one of the above questions.

That question has been answered. Carry on to the others.

The first question is the one that interested me. It has always been common knowledge for me anyway since the 60's that the team was named after Paul Brown. It was only in recent years I had heard about the team possibly being named after Joe Louis.

I don't want to cheat and google search the other questions. :)

Here is trivia about NFL team name origins. This shouldn't be too hard for you...as there are only 32 possible answers:

The Browns /Joe Louis "The Brown Bomber"

2. What team got its name as a result of certain influences from the ancient Greeks?

The Titans

the buccaneers

the NY Jets

6. What team was named after the New Deal's National Recovery Administration's logo?

The giants

9. What team is named for both a song and for the date on which the franchise was awarded to the city?

10. What team is named after the nickname for the City's Mayor who was instrumental in bringing the team to that city?

The Ravens

Redskins

The Browns /Joe Louis "The Brown Bomber" Check

The Titans Check

the buccaneers Check

the NY Jets NO

The giants Check

The Ravens Check

Redskins Not what I had in mind technically...Redskins are named after a race of people...but it does refer to their color...so I think you deserve half credit. But not the answer I was looking for.

4. What team is named after the Fordham College team? RAMS

5. What team was named to encourage the use of a credit card? CHARGERS? LOL

7. What team was named due to its location between two transportation hubs? JETS

8. What team was named, essentially, after a group of buildings? GIANTS

9. What team is named for both a song and for the date on which the franchise was awarded to the city? San Francisco 49ers

11. What team is named for a company that distributed canned meat? PACKERS

Mike

I don't doubt that PB would say anything to piss off Art Modell...including the "the team is named after me" tale.

The two of them were like you and Zombo. Vainglorious and petty.

The thing about PB idolization though is this: he did win more championships than any pro football coach ever...and he did revolutionize the game.

BUT.....like Belichick with Brady....PB didn't win anything where he did not have Otto Graham playing QB for him. (so...who WAS the real genius. I claim in the case of BB/Brady...that it is Brady. Do you claim that it was Otto and not PB who was the real dominant factor in that team? Its arguable...just based on facts)

Otto made Paul Brown. Paul Brown didn't win shit without Otto. Holmgren without Favre? You would never have heard of him. Lombardi never won shit without Star. Bradshaw retired, Noll didn't win shit. Landry without Staubach?

If you pull Otto years away, Paul Brown was a very average coach.

Football is 80% the QB...............20% the rest of the shit.

Otto made Paul Brown. Paul Brown didn't win shit without Otto. Holmgren without Favre? You would never have heard of him. Lombardi never won shit without Star. Bradshaw retired, Noll didn't win shit. Landry without Staubach?

If you pull Otto years away, Paul Brown was a very average coach.

Football is 80% the QB...............20% the rest of the shit.

I'm gonna put the cyber mallet down for a second to say you make some very good points here Ghoolie. The QB does matter and like you alluded to look no further than Tom Landry, Bill Belichick, Bill Walsh, Mike Shanahan, and Jimmy Johnson, etc. We disagree on Bradshaw mostly due to it taking 6 years to emerge (while Brady, Montana, Staubach, Graham and other HOFers had much quicker light bulb moments). If you saw a rookie QB here with 6 TD passes to 24 INTs - I'll guarantee you're not telling us all we all just need to be patient with him so keep that in mind.

When Vinny Testaverde came to Cleveland and Kosar departed shortly thereafter, Vinny got hurt and we were left watching the Todd Philcox football follies especially in 93 (54 passer rating, 4 TD 7 INTs 48% cmp rate). It didn't matter what kind of genius Belichick was any more than weighing the difference between X's and O's and Jimmys and Joes. We were down to 3 worries:

1) QB getting the snap

2) RB getting the handoff from QB

3) QB knowing what color uniforms his teammates were wearing.

And when we finally got a healthy Vinny Testaverde back in 94, we won 11 regular season games plus 1 playoff game over NE and Belichick's former boss (Parcells). 2 different careers launched from that scenario. While Vinny was far from perfect here, he no longer looked like Tampa road kill. After Cleveland, he made Pro Bowls for Baltimore and the NYJ (leading them to an AFC Championship appearance vrs the Denver team that beat GB in the SB).

Belichick would go on to replace and upgrade Bill Parcells in NE. After Bledsoe started NE out 0-2, he got parked with a lacerated kidney. Tom Brady took over and drove his team to a SB Championship in his very first year starting. Anyone remember the Championship winning drive NE had vrs the Rams? John Madden was talking about how NE should just go into a fetal position and play for OT while Brady and Belichick were only thinking about winning. They didn't need a TD. They only needed the accuracy and poise of Adam Vinatieri (to duplicate what he did in the snow and ice vrs the Raiders). No problem! Welcome to a dynasty!

Bill Belichick said that Paul Brown was his father's idol that inevitably became his idol. He was raised as a Cleveland Browns fan like the rest of us in here. If anyone saw the documentary about Paul Brown on the NFL Channel, at 1 point Belichick said - here is the greatest coach that ever lived coaching high school teams to 8 State Championships. And from there, Paul Brown went to Ohio State and won a National Championship immediately prior to the World War cutting that tenure very short. Then he took the Browns to 10 consecutive Championship games from 46 through 55 winning 7 of them (including 3 NFL Championships). As you said Ghoolie, he never won a Championship without Graham. In fact, as great as Jim Brown was - he only won 1 Championship (after Paul Brown was gone) just like Walter Payton only won 1 Championship.

What the Great Coaches do beside getting that great QB in place is put all the gridiron chess pieces in tact; so they don't have to plan for miracles every week. Since 99, we're always missing something while our depth couldn't handle injuries as well as more talented rosters. Some years, we had a decent line but we were counting on Robiskie, MoMas/NoMas,and Colt McCoy (after Delhomme and Wallace didn't have us missing them). That said, we somehow gave a nobody like RB Peyton Hillis a Madden Cover boy season. The day we ran through the NE Patriots, Brian Baldinger put together a "Smashing Pumpkins" theme with highlights of him running the ball down NE's esophagus. That was 1 week after we beat a playoff bound New Orleans team. We even mixed in a 10-6 season in 2007 with a QB like DA the 1 time all the stars and planets aligned for our offense. The line was good, running game was solid, Edwards caught 16 TD passes while DA threw 29 TD passes in 15 starts. The reliability of Phil Dawson usually kept us with range of winning any game late, if necessary. However, the defense had to rally around D'Qwell Jackson going to IR early on while I think Shaun Rogers also got hurt. I'm only going on memory here but I don't think our D rated very high overall while it was held together by duck tape; however, it maintained a scrappy, bend don't break throughout our 10-6 season.

At the end of the 10-6 season, Ghoolie manned up and said he was wrong about the team even though 10-6 wasn't good enough for playoffs. He said something to the effect of this is how I want to see this team compete. Not to worry though, that temporary light at the end of the tunnel became the headlamp of an oncoming train in 2008. We got our old Ghoolie right back telling us Flugel wants Rich Kotite or Jerry Faust to save our Poseiden Adventure. I'm sure there were other rent-a-wrecks he assigned my ass to. As big of a pain in the ass as he can be - there's times he's had me LMAO especially during the doldrums of June and early July. One time I was about to delete a post I ripped him unnecessarily and before I could do so - he delivered a classic reply letting me know I didn't just get his skin crawling. I had it jumping and my new screen name began with a capital C leaving me thankful I never went the kinder, gentler route. Yep, the 2 of us are never gonna fanny pat each other nor are we going to reside in the same part of TN. That said, he's been a part of our message boards since the beginning so I'll go on enjoying the green lights we give each other to bust balls with cyber mallets. We gotta have some fun with this stuff, which reminds me "Gregg Williams is TERRIFIC!"

If that Fat old bastard (Ghoolie) ever leaves us for the Las Vegas Raiders, I'm going to fly out to Vegas. Then, I'm going to roll his fat ass into the Black Hole on game day and tie him up into the world's fattest beer pretzel while filming every second of it. After the easy warmups, I'm going to pour Heinz mustard all over that pus gut before squeezing him into a medium sized Terry Bradshaw jersey that will wear like an air tight half shirt prompting Stink and Vag to change their newly stained underwear. And you know how much Raider fans adore themselves some Terry Bradshaw... Vegas hasn't seen an entertaining fat man from Memphis like this since Elvis Presley. The only difference is Elvis remained a Cleveland Browns fan while he never needed to announce he is "The King."

Isn't this supposed to be at trivia thread? Nevertheless Elvis was a Browns fan that is true and in the 70s before he died he had to put up with some seriously shitty Brownstein's so if you can soak in Google he

Gips,

Nobody ignores thread titles more than you do. You've closed countless threads I've started with countless spats with people about stuff that had zero to do with the subject heading you took hostage. You do it to others all the time as well. I've never said anything to you about it until you're asking for a golden rule you never give others in here.

Not only that, you'll give 30 replies in a row to different people (many off topic) while paying no care whatsoever to the intended discussion of the OP or the ruin of it. You, of all people, should be able to consolidate your points into 1 or 2 replies tops. You're a smart dude; but if I see 15 posts in a row by you - I've lost interest. I'll guarantee others have too. Not saying that to be mean my man, but since you're giving advice to me - I'm sure you're willing to take some back here.

People can still answer your trivia about other teams besides the Browns in the questions after #1. As for your first question that had to do with Paul Brown (as already answered in another thread debunking the Joe Lewis theory), there was some collateral discussion about Paul Brown in here if you read what was written.

Gips,

Nobody ignores thread titles more than you do. You've closed countless threads I've started with countless spats with people about stuff that had zero to do with the subject heading you took hostage. You do it to others all the time as well. I've never said anything to you about it until you're asking for a golden rule you never give others in here.

Not only that, you'll give 30 replies in a row to different people (many off topic) while paying no care whatsoever to the intended discussion of the OP or the ruin of it. You, of all people, should be able to consolidate your points into 1 or 2 replies tops. You're a smart dude; but if I see 15 posts in a row by you - I've lost interest. I'll guarantee others have too. Not saying that to be mean my man, but since you're giving advice to me - I'm sure you're willing to take some back here.

People can still answer your trivia about other teams besides the Browns in the questions after #1. As for your first question that had to do with Paul Brown (as already answered in another thread debunking the Joe Lewis theory), there was some collateral discussion about Paul Brown in here if you read what was written.

Haaaaahahahaha.......well, someone had to say it......well done Fluges....well done, indeed

4. What team is named after the Fordham College team? RAMS

7. What team was named due to its location between two transportation hubs? JETS

11. What team is named for a company that distributed canned meat? PACKERS

Check on all these by Canton Mike.

Second Chance Saloon: Questions not yet answered:

9. What team was named for both a song and the date on which the franchise was awarded?

10. What team was named after the nickname of the City's Mayor who was instrumental in bringing that team to town?

14. What team, (not the Browns or Redskins) was named for a color?

Philadelphia Eagles

9. What team was named for both a song and the date on which the franchise was awarded?

N.O. SAINTS

10. What team was named after the nickname of the City's Mayor who was instrumental in bringing that team to town?

K.C Chiefs

14. What team, (not the Browns or Redskins) was named for a color? GREEN Bay but going crayola would be CARDINALS

Philadelphia Eagles

N.O. SAINTS

K.C Chiefs

14. What team, (not the Browns or Redskins) was named for a color? GREEN Bay but going crayola would be CARDINALS

All the ones you answered are correct.

The Answers

The Cleveland Browns. No more need be said.

The Tennessee Titans. Nashville has been called the Athens of the South. They even have a full scale replica of The Parthenon there. Titans were mythical beings (Gods or Godlike) from Greek mythology. (or....Dune mythology, if you are into that)

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Gasparilla was a Spanish Pirate who raided up and down the west coast of Florida, and yes, the team was named as an homage to him.

The Fordham Rams (Cleveland/LA/St.Louis/LA)

The Chargers. Barron Conrad Hilton...the hotel guy obviously, also had his fingers into the banking/charge card game. He was a principal owner of Carte Blanche...and that is why the team got its name. (not from horses or soldiers etc.)

The Eagle was the logo of that organization.

The Jets....who were the Titans, but when they moved from the Polo Grounds to Shea Stadium, the stadium was right over the common flight paths of both LaGuardia and Idlewild Airport...nka JFK.

The Giants. The NY football Giants were actually named after the NY baseball Giants, but they got there name from the tall buildings in NYC/Manhattan

The Saints go Marching In...and they came marching into the NFL on November 1st....All Saints Day, which was the day the city was awarded an NFL expansion franchise. (Even if the date of the award of the franchise was different, they probably still would have been the Saints because of the song)

The Kansas City Chiefs.... The Dallas Texans, owned by Lamar Hunt, was going to move out of Dallas to get away from the Cowboys. They had several cities they were considering (including Miami), but the Mayor of Kansas City H. Roe "Chief" Bartle, conviced Hunt to move his team there. He did, and Hunt named the team after the Mayor.

The Green Bay Packers. Curly Lambeau actually did manual labor for the Indian Packing Company...who packed canned meats. So he called the team after the job he used to have.

The Buffalo Bills. William "Buffalo Bill" Cody....who was a frontiersman in his youth, became a purveyor of Wild West Shows...where he gained most of his fame. It was all entertainment. His shows had a number of famous people "act" in his shows, including Sitting Bull and Frank James, Cole Younger, Annie Oakley, Wild Bill Hickock, Calamity Jane. My brother used to live in Cody Wyo., named after him. I have stayed at the Irma hotel there, named for his daughter. In the dining room/bar, there is a huge mahogany back bar presented to Cody by Queen Victoria.

The Ravens.....Nevermore.

The Cardinals. The Chicago Cardinals were named for the color of their original uniforms, which were cardinal red, which were hand me downs from the football team of the University of Chicago....not after the bird, though clearly, later the team took on the image of the bird as their logo.

Archived