THE BROWNS BOARD

Cavs Draft

LCDawgFan13

I just saw the following mock draft...first round only.

My link

There is actually some really good logic in this for the Cavs. I don't see the draft going down this way, but I think I'd be okay with it if it did.

What are some of your thoughts?

Exactly the scenario my Son & I have discussed. The position of strength in this draft is Guard. If we take Irving with the first pick, there will be a TON of question marks remaining at 4, unless we take a 2nd Guard, & that's a no-no. If you take Williams (frontline scorer) at #1, there will still be good talent at Guard #4, & I do like Walker (I think he could be a very good PG). IMHO, every Center on the board is a huge question mark. We'll see.

Mike

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly the scenario my Son & I have discussed. The position of strength in this draft is Guard. If we take Irving with the first pick, there will be a TON of question marks remaining at 4, unless we take a 2nd Guard, & that's a no-no. If you take Williams (frontline scorer) at #1, there will still be good talent at Guard #4, & I do like Walker (I think he could be a very good PG). IMHO, every Center on the board is a huge question mark. We'll see.

Mike

The #1 is a no brainer. Take Irving. Anything other than that and the whole FO should be fired on the spot.

Is there ANYONE that actually give me REAL reasons why Kyrie Irving is a better pick than Derrick Williams? How can anyone say that he is a "lock" or a "sure pick?" PDG...Why/how is he a "no-brainer?" He wasn't able to make it through one season of college ball. I'm not saying that he won't become a great pro. But I can't see how he is the better pick for the Cavs at #1. Aside from the fact that you leave yourself better options at #4 by picking Williams over Irving, there are a couple other reasons I can name that Williams is the better pick.

1. He has proven that he can stay healthy...He's done it through 2 seasons at Arizona. And that is playing a more physical position down in the paint than Irving plays at the point also.

2. The Cavaliers need help everywhere. But they currently do have Davis and Sessions at the point. Who is left at the 3? Anyone? Gee? Eyenga? Where's the depth there? Who are you going to grab at 4 or 32 or 54 to fill that hole? Nobody that is nearly as good as Williams.

3. Irving is a good baller...but there is this little piece of me that keeps saying "He's another guard from Duke. STAY AWAY!" And rightfully so. Can you name another Duke PG that went on to become a TEAM LEADER in the NBA? Redick? uh...no! Sheldon Williams? Nope! Jason Williams? Eh-Eh! There's just not a great history of Duke guards making a successful transition to the NBA...at least not the success that is needed in Cleveland right now. Not to mention that Irving, despite the fact that he will facilitate the offense and can hit an open jumper, is not the kind of player that can carry a team on his back either. And that is something this team needs too. Williams has shown that he can and will put his team on his back and so has another point guard in this draft...Walker.

Again...I am not saying that Williams is going to save this team and win an NBA championship. But I do believe that Williams will get them closer than Irving.

Do you honestly think that taking an undersized PF with the #1 overall is a good idea? He will get abused on the defensive end whether he plays the 3 or the 4. As far as Irving goes, he is the only talent in this draft that may prove to be elite. The Cavs kind of got screwed by having such great picks in what is a terribly weak draft.

You can look at him as an undersized PF if you want...but I never referred to him playing the 4. If you watched any of his games the past 2 years, his games translates to the 3 better than the 4. He is a scorer for sure and is big enough to post up against smaller 3's in the league. As far as defense goes...remember that that was the knock on a lot of players in the NBA...including a former 3 who sported the #23 in Cleveland before taking his talents to "Souf Beach." No...I am not suggesting that Williams will turn into Lebron...but I am saying that there are a lot of college players that don't play solid defense until they get to the NBA and develop that part of their game. And...besides...Byron Scott doesn't seem to put any emphasis on the defensive side of the ball anyway. haha

And...you still give no reasons for your claims that Irving "is the only talent in this draft that may prove to be elite."

At least back up your opinion with some reasoning.

You can look at him as an undersized PF if you want...but I never referred to him playing the 4. If you watched any of his games the past 2 years, his games translates to the 3 better than the 4. He is a scorer for sure and is big enough to post up against smaller 3's in the league. As far as defense goes...remember that that was the knock on a lot of players in the NBA...including a former 3 who sported the #23 in Cleveland before taking his talents to "Souf Beach." No...I am not suggesting that Williams will turn into Lebron...but I am saying that there are a lot of college players that don't play solid defense until they get to the NBA and develop that part of their game. And...besides...Byron Scott doesn't seem to put any emphasis on the defensive side of the ball anyway. haha

And...you still give no reasons for your claims that Irving "is the only talent in this draft that may prove to be elite."

At least back up your opinion with some reasoning.

You mean reasoning like, I don't trust Duke PGs? I'm not saying that Irving will be elite but that he is the closest thing to it in this draft. I honestly don't think that there is anyone that will be able to put a team on his back coming out of there. The only knocks on Irving is his shot selection (very coachable), turnovers (coachable), and his speed isn't quite up to Rose and Wall (whose is?).

You mean reasoning like, I don't trust Duke PGs? I'm not saying that Irving will be elite but that he is the closest thing to it in this draft. I honestly don't think that there is anyone that will be able to put a team on his back coming out of there. The only knocks on Irving is his shot selection (very coachable), turnovers (coachable), and his speed isn't quite up to Rose and Wall (whose is?).

Obviously, you failed to read or at least to comprehend the rest of my reasoning. It doesn't matter because your opinion and mine do not matter anyway. That's the bottom line. I just thought that the purpose of forums like this is for us as fans to actually discuss and debate things just like who our team should take. Apparently, you don't want to put any effort into a discussion but just want to disregard any opinion other than your own.

I take Williams over Irving simply because of experince and they use of the 4th pick could be Brandon Knight,Kanter is going to Utah by everything ive heard..So that leaves us with Jonas Valanciucas who has a 3 million buyout who may not be able to play in the NBA for a lil while

Dosent make much sense to me,although Jonas does look pretty good for a 20 year old big man

My personal opinion is that there may not be a center WORTHY of a 1st round pick in this draft. Get Williams at #1 & Walker at #4. If the Cavs take Irving at 1, I'm all for trading that 4th pick. We may need a center, but more than that, we need a forward who can score from beyond 10' (who is under 35) & a point guard. Personally, I LOVE Walker's game & he's proven himself over the long haul (performance AND durability), & there are experts who think he will develop into a better PG than Irving. Who knows? As far as I'm concerned, if you take Irving at #1, there isn't anyone left (as Williams will be gone) worthy of the 4 pick....I'm excluding guards, because if we take 2 guards at 1 & 4, the Cavs may as well throw in the towel.

Mike

I'll be disappointed if we don't get Irving AND Williams. I originally wanted Irving and Kanter, but with Minnesota obviously not wanting another point guard...it seems like a good GM would be able to get Irving from them (assuming we take Williams first), especially when we have the #4 pick as bait.

Anything else would kind of be a let down for me. But if we come out of the draft with a true PG and a true center...there are worse things.

Thompson will be able to play right away and Valanciunus won't.

I don't see why we need a PF, unless JJ is as good as gone.... The Thompson pick makes no sense, unless we are packaging Hickson to get into the first round again.

I say we take Derrick Williams and Kanter if available then see what we've got with Sessions, Boobie and Boom Davis at PG....

Then in round 2 we take a SG like Nolan Smith or Lighty if available.

If we take Irving we should get rid of Sessions and the TPE to get into the mid 1st round and make a play for a SF like Singleton or Marshon Brooks like I said before.

I just don't like drafting on a hunch of a BPA, when we have NEEDS, multiple.

Agreed...I have said all along that I want Williams @ #1. I don't see how ANYONE can be convinced based on 11 games that Irving is the best player in this draft!? And the Cavs have glaring holes at the 2 & 3 & 5. Could they use a true 1? Probably...but why can't we see just what we really have with Sessions? Get him a couple guys that can score at the 2 & 3 and get someone to clog up the middle. If Sessions is NOT the right guy, then you can bring in a PG in the draft next year and he will have some solid players around him to lean on rather than a group of rookies like Irving would have this year. I say grab Williams at one and see what else you can get from there...but fill the biggest holes first...not the one you actually have some solid depth at.

The Thompson talk was to work out a trade with Charlotte, they wanted to move ahead of Detroit because they thought they would take him and we wanted to move down and take Jonas V. But now the Bobcats just traded to get the 7th pick, ahead of the Pistons, son now its an unlikely trade

crapola Draft...the Cavs managed to get worse...lol

Well, if you want to believe the experts, this years talent sucked so bad the Cavs should have just traded all of this year's picks for future picks. :)

Can't get mad at Grant for the Thompson pick...That was ALL Dan Gilbert! But the second round? Really? 2 picks and we walk away with 2 "future" picks and a guy that may not even come here to play? While I won't say that we got worse...like someone else did, I will say that we did't improve nearly as much as we should have. We went into this draft in dire need of a SF, SG, and a C. And everyone WANTED the franchise PG. We walked away still needing a SF, SG, and a C. Yep...that's progress!

You need to realize we drafted the #1 pg in the draft. That was the Clippers pick by the way, and Grant made that transaction. If we never traded Mo we wouldnt have Irving. We would have had the #4 pick and would have had shit to choose from. Thompson is raw but not that raw, he was freshman of the year and almost averaged a double double. The dude has almost 2 steals and 2 blocks a game. He is a hustler that will play the 3 and guard the 3. His Offense will develope with time. Do some research on this guy before you knock him. 2nd rounders are exactly that, so dont be too pissy about the trade. we got more picks and didnt get even younger then we already are. One other thing congrats to Jon Diebler.

Christian Eyenga would've been the best SG in this draft, he's on our team. Why reach for a guy when you already have your starter for the future. Guy has mad explosion and can shoot the rock, Eyenga and Irving's gonna be dominate

Yes...I do think Eyenga has the physical ability to turn into a damn good player...I just hope he puts it all together real soon. He shuld be the starting SG this season. He can put up some points. But he can't carry a team...he's not that kind of player.

ok lets say Eyenga graces the starting lineup....

starting line-up of Davis, Eyenga, Jamison, Hickson, Varejao with Irving, Sessions, Boobie, Gee, Thompson, Samuels and Hollins coming off the bench.

20-30 win team this year if no improvements are made through trades or F/A.. Still lacking shooters/scorers at SG/SF and a good rotation at center.

Agreed...I think this team will struggle to 20-30 wins...IF everyone stays healthy. If something happens to any of our starters...this team may struggle to get to the 15 win range. But...That is saying that nothing else happens before the season begins. There's a lot of time (and negotiating) left before then!

Agreed...I think this team will struggle to 20-30 wins...IF everyone stays healthy. If something happens to any of our starters...this team may struggle to get to the 15 win range. But...That is saying that nothing else happens before the season begins. There's a lot of time (and negotiating) left before then!

That could very well be the plan, were not going to the playoffs in 1 year. We can make some transactions to compete and end up with a mid round pick and be mediocre every year or we can play for the future, get some great talent in the draft and compete for championships over the long haul. The best interest of the team is to win 20-30 games next year, nobody wants to hear that but its reality.

• 2 weeks later...

WTF? We had nearly 20 wins when everyone WASNT healthy. We spent most of last season without Mo Williams or Anderson Varejao and still eked out 26 wins.

We have improved at our 3 guard since last year...and Varejao is likely to be healthier coming into this next season. Even 50 games with Davis as our starting PG is still better than 30 games of Mo.

Yes, we are still not a playoff team...but last year we were down 60% of the previous years starting rotation...that's a BIG fall.

Cleveland isn't Dallas, we just had a hometown superstar leave. Your not going to be able to bring them type of guys in thru free agency. Not to mention Dirk is the best big in the game, the only way your getting that is drafting him. Those guys aren't walking around in the streets.

Dirk is the best shooting big. Dwight is a far better player.

I think Dirk showed he is a better player. Where is Dwight's ring? Dirk is a team player, an elite scorer, he can D up most bigs and has the passion for the game. Dwight is the premier center in the game because of the physical tools he has and his defense. I'd take Dirk though any day of the week for my franchise.

Take Dwight and Dirk off of their respective teams and let them play each other. Mavs win by at least 10 points. The Mavericks are a far deeper team than the Magic that is chock full of overpriced has beens who's names are far bigger than their games. Dirk's defense is improved...but hardly lockdown. If Dirk is the guy manning the low post, NBA players don't fear going inside.

This isn't Tennis where Champions are crowned based off of individual talent. This is basketball...it's a team sport. It requires a team. Want proof...look at the Cavs 60+ win seasons. It was Lebron and a couple of solid (but not great) role players (Varejao and Mo Williams being the two best)...and a bunch of players who were over the hill (Big Z, Jamison, Parker) or still learning the game (Hickson).

Dwight is the better player (though Dirk is the significantly better shooter).

Archived