THE BROWNS BOARD

OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....

Clevfan4life

Shaheen is a consolation prize if we can't get one of the aforementioned two, in my opinion.

No to Howard, he's gonna go top 15 and that's just too high.

Absolutely on Shaheen... he's a borderline novelty, but one with more than a little potential.

However, I disagree on OJH. I've seen multiple mocks, including sims, where he's clearly looks like the best option to me at #12.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont see us taking a TE at 12# That Shaheen kid looks good Tour Good Find

Hey... it pays to watch the Combine... ;) ... also apparently the East-West Shrine game... which I did not.

I haven't finished watching the top OL prospects yet, so I sure as hell haven't spent time on Div II college TEs.

I remember listening to a dude on Texags radio talking about how we (A&M) would never ask Ricky Seals-Jones to block anyone, even though we lined him up in the box at H-back or TE, and to that end he said something like "the guy's in the room, he wants to party. Let the man party!" And he followed it up with "you turn on OJ Howard, that dude's on the floor beer bonging. Blocking everyone."

Absolutely on Shaheen... he's a borderline novelty, but one with more than a little potential.

However, I disagree on OJH. I've seen multiple mocks, including sims, where he's clearly looks like the best option to me at #12.

My feeling is...if he's the best option available for us at #12, I'd much rather take the trade down. And that's not a knock on OJ so much as it's more of a commentary on the availability of tight ends with similar skill sets in this draft.

I think OJ is the most well rounded of the "freaks" (OJ, Njoku, Hodges), but I believe Njoku to be the best pure catcher and I think Hodges has the most versatility/potential in that he could be a Kelvin Benjamin clone on the outside and a Jimmy Graham clone on the inside.

If it comes to #12 and Foster/Adams/Watson/Trubisky/Lattimore/Kizer/Hooker/possibly Melifonwu are all gone...AND we don't need a receiver...AND we can't get a trade partner....then I'd be happy with Howard.

But I'd much rather have any one of those players listed at #12 and go Njoku at #33 or Hodges at some point in the late second/early third.

Once again, none of this is a knock on OJ as much as it is just a value thing IMO.

My feeling is...if he's the best option available for us at #12, I'd much rather take the trade down. And that's not a knock on OJ so much as it's more of a commentary on the availability of tight ends with similar skill sets in this draft.

I think OJ is the most well rounded of the "freaks" (OJ, Njoku, Hodges), but I believe Njoku to be the best pure catcher and I think Hodges has the most versatility/potential in that he could be a Kelvin Benjamin clone on the outside and a Jimmy Graham clone on the inside.

If it comes to #12 and Foster/Adams/Watson/Trubisky/Lattimore/Kizer/Hooker/possibly Melifonwu are all gone...AND we don't need a receiver...AND we can't get a trade partner....then I'd be happy with Howard.

But I'd much rather have any one of those players listed at #12 and go Njoku at #33 or Hodges at some point in the late second/early third.

Once again, none of this is a knock on OJ as much as it is just a value thing IMO.

You make a good point about the depth of the TE position in this draft. I think it was the video with Zegura and Gribble that mentioned that this draft is legendary in terms of the number of quality TE prospects.

When it comes to Njoku, however, I'm gonna have to disagree. OJ is bigger, faster and has better hands. Njoku is only 20 years old, so he has time to develop as a blocker, but I don't see him ever being the hands catcher that Howard is currently. That being said, I wouldn't be upset if the Browns got Njoku at 33, the kid is a freakish athlete - just not as complete as Howard.

Honestly, haven't looked too closely at this TE class and haven't thought of the position as a serious need. There's a good chance that after a bit more research I'll end up viewing things differently. What I can't foresee, is a situation in which OJ Howard in an orange helmet isn't the tits.

I don't see how they could take anybody other than Garrett at #1 tbh

Well, it would work like this: Commissioner Roger Goodell would go up to the podium and in a clear voice say: "with the first overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select: ___________________________"

And he says a name other than Garrett. And THAT is how they could take somebody other than Garrett.

I won't even charge you for that answer. ;)

Well, it would work like this: Commissioner Roger Goodell would go up to the podium and in a clear voice say: "with the first overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select: ___________________________"

And he says a name other than Garrett. And THAT is how they could take somebody other than Garrett.

I won't even charge you for that answer. ;)

Or he could say, to paraphrase and plagiarize from Winston Churchill, "The Browns, fools that they are to have once again ignored BPA, have committed franchise suicide by selecting _______________" ;)

Or he could say, to paraphrase and plagiarize from Winston Churchill, "The Browns, fools that they are to have once again ignored BPA, have committed franchise suicide by selecting _______________" ;)

Yea, again....BPA won't be determined for like 5 years. The name Garrett could just as easily fit into your blank as any other name.

Except that's not how time works.

It is exactly how it works.

You don't know the value of a draft pick for some time.

5 years from now Garrett may be mentioned in the same breath as Courtney Brown or Barkevious Mingo.

And, of course, certainly he could be mentioned in the same breath as Von Miller etc.

But right here, right now you don't have a fucking clue which it will be.

So that is exactly how time works. In 5 years, we will likely know which he is.

If the Browns take him....like I said I hope he will walk on water.

But, again, will he be Jesus....or Judas and hang him and all of us from a tree for 30 pieces of silver.

You think your Messiah hath cometh. But my first name is Thomas....after the Saint. You know...doubting Thomas!

Did you guys know Myles Garrett could be the next Courtney Brown?

I mean, Gipper's told you about 412 times so far this year, and since no one seems to be changing their opinion on him, I figured maybe you guys needed to hear it from you.

Did you guys know Myles Garrett could be the next Courtney Brown?

I mean, Gipper's told you about 412 times so far this year, and since no one seems to be changing their opinion on him, I figured maybe you guys needed to hear it from you.

No one is forcing you to be here....to participate...to respond. You don't like what is being said, you can always click off.

Sayonara Sucker.

No one is forcing you to be here....to participate...to respond. You don't like what is being said, you can always click off.

Sayonara Sucker.

I like what 99% of people are saying. I have low patience for someone who doesn't contribute anything but the same exact talking point in every thread.

I like what 99% of people are saying. I have low patience for someone who doesn't contribute anything but the same exact talking point in every thread.

I get it. You don't like being on the losing end of an argument.

YOU say the exact same things over and over. I have merely responded. If you don't like the same response, then don't you keep making the same points over and over.

You just now complained about that fact that I did NOT repeat my arguments over again in response to TC. So do you also have impatience when an argument goes in a new direction as well?

Make up your mind.

I get it. You don't like being on the losing end of an argument.

YOU say the exact same things over and over. I have merely responded. If you don't like the same response, then don't you keep making the same points over and over.

You just now complained about that fact that I did NOT repeat my arguments over again in response to TC. So do you also have impatience when an argument goes in a new direction as well?

Make up your mind.

A good ole fashioned "I know you are, but what am I?" counterargument? They teach you that one in law school?

You don't even know which camp I'm in but I have been repeating myself? Okie dokie.

A good ole fashioned "I know you are, but what am I?" counterargument? They teach you that one in law school?

You don't even know which camp I'm in but I have been repeating myself? Okie dokie.

You just repeated yourself again for the third time telling me that you don't know which camp you are in....and I accepted it the first time.

So...yes Okie, you are repeating yourself (does a guy from Texas like being called an Okie? That is what I will call you from now on)

Who was the last pass rushing bust NOT drafted by the browns?

Maybe Rob Burnett....1990? He had 40.5 sacks in 6 years with the Browns. that is 6.75 per year.

For a 7th round pick...Armonty Bryant was not a "bust" really. It seemed like he could have been a good pass rusher. Other issues got in his way.

Would Jaball Sheard count? He had 23 sacks in his 4 years with the Browns. Not great at 5.75 sacks a year...but not a "bust".

wasnt sheards firstbyear pretty good when he was DE? Then got turned into olb'er

Yes. He had 8.5 sacks his rookie season at DE...turned into an OLB by our brilliant DCs, and his sacks curtailed. When he went to NE he went back to DE and his sacks went up again.

Archived