THE BROWNS BOARD

Why hasn't this team embraced Osweiler?

Frenchie

Regarding Pryor or Schwartz, we don't know what exactly went down in the negotiations. Yeah, possible Pryor came crawling back looking for a one year deal after he figured out Rosenhaus was blowing smoke up his ass about how much he could get him. Is it so terrible the Browns may have said to him- hey, we offered you a very fair deal- more than you found out you could get on the open market. We're not interested in a one year deal, we want you here for the next four. Pryor says nope- I'll go elsewhere and prove I'm worth top 10 wr money in 2018. Browns say good bye and good luck.

It's pretty obvious Sashi and DePo don't like being involved in a bidding war against another team. LOL, for all you know- should the Browns have relented and said OK, one year $8 million, what was to prevent Pryor from running back to Washington before he signed it, and saying- hey here's what Cleveland is offering, can you top that? That might just have been what happened with Schwartz too.

If they make that offer when Pryor comes crawling back to them....I would not let him off the phone/out of the room unless he signs. If he hangs up....offer off the table. If he walks out...offer off the table.

I guess they are playing a bit of hardball. Which may not be bad. For so long the Browns had been a team of "go here and get paid a lot...and relax. You don't have to play hard/work hard. Can you say Dwayne Bowe/Mike Holmgren etc?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except...now, perhaps the Browns may indeed want him to compete for the starter job.

No worse than having RGIII, Josh McCown, Kessler try to compete.

I have to imagine the only way he doesn't get to compete for the starting job is if we manage to get something for him in a trade.

As of right now the only other options are Kessler and Hoagan...Though I imagine that after the draft there will be a new rookie there somewhere.

Except...now, perhaps the Browns may indeed want him to compete for the starter job.

No worse than having RGIII, Josh McCown, Kessler try to compete.

Kessler with our new and improved line is going to be better than anything last year. And of course we are drafting a qb.

If we haven't traded him by the draft, and we don't draft a QB, I can see a situation where Osweiler sticks around so the team can feel out what they have in him. If you're going to be on the hook for $8m, might as well get something rather than nothing, especially if he offers more as a backup than say Hogan.

April 17th, before the draft, browns can begin offseason activities of some description apparently.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/2017-Browns-offseason-Dates-to-know-for-Browns-fans/760b5395-14ec-4106-b0a3-a26a534186c5

Regarding Pryor or Schwartz, we don't know what exactly went down in the negotiations. Yeah, possible Pryor came crawling back looking for a one year deal after he figured out Rosenhaus was blowing smoke up his ass about how much he could get him. Is it so terrible the Browns may have said to him- hey, we offered you a very fair deal- more than you found out you could get on the open market. We're not interested in a one year deal, we want you here for the next four. Pryor says nope- I'll go elsewhere and prove I'm worth top 10 wr money in 2018. Browns say good bye and good luck.

It's pretty obvious Sashi and DePo don't like being involved in a bidding war against another team. LOL, for all you know- should the Browns have relented and said OK, one year $8 million, what was to prevent Pryor from running back to Washington before he signed it, and saying- hey here's what Cleveland is offering, can you top that? That might just have been what happened with Schwartz too.

What you're saying is that we don't really know the whole truth. Fair enough. Maybe it didn't go down as reported. I'm just having problems understanding paying $16 m for a second round draft choice and then letting a talent like Pryor leave. I think Sashi is going to regret his inability to sign TP.

THIS is another example of why I am wrong about Hue, and the Browns. Look at the great position we are in.

1) We have no QB

2) We have Brock Ostink

3) He doesn't want to play here

4) It doesn't look like we will find a trade and will be stuck with him

5) Hue will fall in love with him, and he will be our starter.

Wow, this fucking Moneyball shit is really impressive. Seriously, is your cunt juice dripping onto your taint yet? Just sit back and savor this...........if we continue to do shit like this.............we actually have get Brock CockWhistler as our QB. WOW.................this is some exciting shit, I'm telling ya.

LMAO - oh Lord, I needed a good laugh today. Thank you so much!

What you're saying is that we don't really know the whole truth. Fair enough. Maybe it didn't go down as reported. I'm just having problems understanding paying $16 m for a second round draft choice and then letting a talent like Pryor leave. I think Sashi is going to regret his inability to sign TP.

16 million is nothing to a team with this much cap space. And TP was offered a much better deal than what he signed for. You can't blame Browns for him being greedy.

Hey Larry, what I have enjoyed about your posts over the years is that you always make an argument for how a Browns failure is actually a good thing, and is really a win. Sorry dude, 100 million of cap space and you can't bring Gordon and Pryor to the show? Horrible FO, horrible organization.

Gordon, we don't know about- yet. The Commish has to let him back into the league. He should, because the last couple violations were ticky-tack. Gordon, assuming he plays this year is going to be dirt cheap, because he's still on his rookie contract. He puts in a studly year in 2017, he's going to get paid- like Antonio Brown, speaking of-

Regarding Pryor. You do know his agent Rosenhaus is one of biggest a-hole agents out there, right? Drew fleeced the Steelers for a huge contract for Antonio Brown. at an average of $17 million a year. It's what agents are supposed to do, get their clients the most money possible. So Drew got a fat head and thought if Brown is worth $17 million, Pryor has got to be worth at least $12, right? WRONG. Ha, the Browns and every other team in the NFL didn't think he was worth that. Sure, he's talented, but he wanted top 10 wr salary after one decent, not great year. Brown has had several, so there's a big difference there. Could we have paid what he was asking? Hell yes, but it would have set a bad precedent. Every other player on the team when their contracts were up would probably have wanted 50% more than the market rate. That $100 million in cap room would have disappeared in a big hurry,

Tom, this Front office is not being cheap- if they think the player is worth it. They gave two of your favorite fatass whipping boys huge contracts and extensions, because they were worth it in being the best at what they do. All that unused cap money will have to be spent- eventually. We did spent some of it on Ostrich, to buy a second round pick. Whether they will use it wisely is another discussion. The FO has decided now is not the time to blow wads of the cap, or would you rather be like the Patriots who had to gift Collins to us because they didn't have enough cap room? And aren't exactly being sentimental with their Pro-Bowl linebacker Donta Hightower, letting him test the FA market because they don't want to overpay him. Seems like Sashi and DePo are taking a page out of Bellichick's playbook.

Difference is Brock is not in the long term plans, Pryor wanted to get (over)paid after one decent year.

16 million is nothing to a team with this much cap space. And TP was offered a much better deal than what he signed for. You can't blame Browns for him being greedy.

^^^This.....

Difference is Brock is not in the long term plans, Pryor wanted to get (over)paid after one decent year.

^^^This.....

You guys are letting the Browns off the hook to easily. The big boss (Haslam) said signing Pryor is a top priority (as is Collins, as is finding a franchise QB). They offer Pryor a long term contract at $8M/yr. Pryor's agent wants more and tests the market. He can't get it so decides he wants a one year deal. The Redskins offer one year $6M + incentives. The Browns walk away from the table. With all that cap room and an opportunity to sign Pryor for a year (at less money), the Browns FAIL to achieve their objective. Bottom line - no F'n stories or excuses.

Now what should Haslam do if the team doesn't find its QB, Pryor makes the Pro-Bowl with a fantastic season, and the Browns go 2-13? I can tell you what he should do! We're not talking about "could do" or "can do". This is "must do" stuff. Find a QB, build a team that can compete every year, keep your star players. Stop dicking with $16 M draft choices because that's not on the list. Keeping Pryor was on the list and they couldn't find a way to make it happen. Well they could, but they decided not to reach an agreement while preferring to pay $16 M for a second rounder while creating a stir around what to do with BO.

Someone on this board made reference to the FO acting like the Patriots. When the Browns win the way the Patriots do, then we can give them the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, the comment is laughable at best. Again, I'm on record as saying their recent decisions are headscratchers and maybe they will prove the doubters wrong. I hope you are right. Go Browns!

A reasonable scenario, h...

I keep going back to the fact that this time with Pryor the timeline is very clear and says that Britt "took" Pryor's roster spot. I think time was a bigger factor than any "bidding war."

Best I can reconstruct the Schwartz situation there's similar "timing" with Pasztor coming into the picture. Paz's was not a UFA signing, but a minimum RFA tender. However, with right-of-first-refusal in play, he was as good as signed.

The tender was offered to Paz on Mar 7, 2016. Schwartz signed with the Chiefs Mar 9.

Yeah, we Schwartzed Pryor. Thing is, I keep looking at our shiny new interior OL, then noticing a big old hole at RT, and thinking "I wish we hadn't Schwartzed Schwartz" because *that* OL would be beastly. And who knows, Mitch may even have had the ability to flip over and take the LT spot when Joe Tackle retired.

Coleman could be a good RT going forward ?

If Bolles is there at 33 I can see them pulling the trigger on him I think the FO would love his athleticism and how he turned his life around

He seems to be going before that in the mocks now though

Yeah, we Schwartzed Pryor. Thing is, I keep looking at our shiny new interior OL, then noticing a big old hole at RT, and thinking "I wish we hadn't Schwartzed Schwartz" because *that* OL would be beastly. And who knows, Mitch may even have had the ability to flip over and take the LT spot when Joe Tackle retired.

Sorry in advance for my broken-record bit, but it's not like we can sit around a wait for "our players" to shop. FA moves too fast in its early days to do that.

It would have been torches and pitchforks for our FO, if we had ended up with neither player in either instance.

If Bolles is there at 33 I can see them pulling the trigger on him I think the FO would love his athleticism and how he turned his life around. He seems to be going before that in the mocks now though

Yes... Shon could be very good. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I thought we are a little thin at OT with essentially only Erving and Sterup behind Joe and Shon.

As for Bolles... not sure why, but something in his tape bothers me... oddest thing. He pretty much blew away the OL group at the Combine and I see his athleticism on tape, but somehow I don't see it translating into effectiveness for lack of a better word. Might look a little more at him before the draft.

If Bolles is there at 33 I can see them pulling the trigger on him I think the FO would love his athleticism and how he turned his life around

He seems to be going before that in the mocks now though

Not in ours. I picked him up for the Jags right about there...around #36.

You guys are letting the Browns off the hook to easily. The big boss (Haslam) said signing Pryor is a top priority (as is Collins, as is finding a franchise QB). They offer Pryor a long term contract at $8M/yr. Pryor's agent wants more and tests the market. He can't get it so decides he wants a one year deal. The Redskins offer one year $6M + incentives. The Browns walk away from the table. With all that cap room and an opportunity to sign Pryor for a year (at less money), the Browns FAIL to achieve their objective. Bottom line - no F'n stories or excuses.

Now what should Haslam do if the team doesn't find its QB, Pryor makes the Pro-Bowl with a fantastic season, and the Browns go 2-13? I can tell you what he should do! We're not talking about "could do" or "can do". This is "must do" stuff. Find a QB, build a team that can compete every year, keep your star players. Stop dicking with $16 M draft choices because that's not on the list. Keeping Pryor was on the list and they couldn't find a way to make it happen. Well they could, but they decided not to reach an agreement while preferring to pay $16 M for a second rounder while creating a stir around what to do with BO.

Someone on this board made reference to the FO acting like the Patriots. When the Browns win the way the Patriots do, then we can give them the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise, the comment is laughable at best. Again, I'm on record as saying their recent decisions are headscratchers and maybe they will prove the doubters wrong. I hope you are right. Go Browns!

What you aren't realizing is that FO's in the NFL have to lay down the law sometimes as much as you love Pryor. We offered TP a damn good deal to be a Cleveland Brown and he snubbed the organization that developed him, gave him a chance and made him a good football player. If this FO allows people to crawl back and give them the money they offered, they WILL get walked over in any negotiations in future scenarios-why wouldn't they?. You may not like it, but that's how every great organization (think Patriots, Steelers) operates.

Pryor walked away from the browns, which is his right to do as an unrestricted FA. However, to say that the browns blew this whole deal is horribly inaccurate. They offered him MORE money when he came back at 8.5m/yr, but they wanted it in a long term deal. PRYOR decided to take less money and bet on himself on a one year deal with Washington. The browns gave him a very legitimate, more than market value contract offer and even increased the deal. Pryor wanted more money per year. The browns were going to sign him on their terms. IF pryor goes out and kills it next year, he may earn a bigger payday. BUT, if he doesn't, then now it's on him. I don't fault the browns one bit for this deal. They made a legit offer for a 28 year old WR with 1 year of experience who is very good but not great, even increased it when they didn't have too and we're not going to be bullied by Rosenhaus. This one is on the player.

Resigning Pryor was a top priority - at the price we valued him at. He believed himself to be worth top a WR contract, we didn't feel the same way. We also didn't want to sign him to a one year deal, because no team in a rebuilding phase is going to sign a player to a one year deal. It's bad cap management.

The objective wasn't "resign Pryor". It was "sign a WR at a price commensurate of his value". We did do that.

Is a second round pick not worth a one time payment of $16 million? What about $10 million, would you say its worth that? How much is a second round pick worth to you?

This is like saying "when I look like a bodybuilder...that's when I'll start working out like one". That comment is more laughable than the original.

What a difference a year makes. Oz was a choice last year and the Browns passed on him now he gets into town and everyone is sucking each others donkeys because we paid millions for a Secound round pick? Please.

No kidding..... We don't spend, people cry, we spend (which we had to per league rules) and people cry. I like the trade now, but the 2nd round pick will be the ultimate determining factor.

Ghoolie says a lot of things to get people riled, and quite a bit of it is far from humorous, but Brock CockWhistler is laugh out loud funny.

Ya, I'm going to give him that one.

Zombo

Ya, I'm going to give him that one.

Keep it handy in case Brawk actually makes it to TC and a fanboy shows up...

No kidding..... We don't spend, people cry, we spend (which we had to per league rules) and people cry. I like the trade now, but the 2nd round pick will be the ultimate determining factor.

Too many picks in one year only means the Browns have to trade away some of them to continue to stockpile. Say if they make all their picks this year that means only half will more than likely make the team. The other picks are wasted time.

So we get another 2nd rounder they must use it for trade bait or keep it using the other high picks as bait, either way it's a big gamble for 16 million. Dude..16 million.

Too many picks in one year only means the Browns have to trade away some of them to continue to stockpile. Say if they make all their picks this year that means only half will more than likely make the team. The other picks are wasted time.

So we get another 2nd rounder they must use it for trade bait or keep it using the other high picks as bait, either way it's a big gamble for 16 million. Dude..16 million.

See the Camp Trade UP thread. Some of all those picks can be used for Ammo to trade up.

Did $16M exhaust the Browns' cap? Are we unable to add free agents due to this move?

Not being an asshole or attempting to be argumentative. I honestly don't know how badly it compromised the team's ability to improve.

Did $16M exhaust the Browns' cap? Are we unable to add free agents due to this move?

Not being an asshole or attempting to be argumentative. I honestly don't know how badly it compromised the team's ability to improve.

No, I heard that after all the signings they are still 70 million under the cap. Some share of that must be reserved for signing incoming rookies...but it does not look like they are anywhere near close to having exhausted the cap. That is what I heard...though I don't know where to go to verify it.

Archived