THE BROWNS BOARD

Garrett suffers injury according to mary Kay

bjh2130

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Garrett was seen at the airport sporting a new walking boot on his left foot, sure looks like a fracture to me.

So Garrett was seen at the airport sporting a new walking boot on his left foot, sure looks like a fracture to me.

Not so fast. Walking boots are often used to immobilize due to foot and/or heel pain with no fracture. Let's just please wait & see what the story is rather than jumping to panic diagnoses.

Mike

Not so fast. Walking boots are often used to immobilize due to foot and/or heel pain with no fracture. Let's just please wait & see what the story is rather than jumping to panic diagnoses.

Mike

No doubt....a walking boot in no way indicates broken bones......ridiculous assumption....

Until I hear otherwise I'm calling it a fracture or lisfranc. Surgery coming soon, possible amputation.

To Gip........................ Just remember, I said this guy would get injured and most likely miss the bulk of the season. You thought me to be crazy. I also told you that you could bet your cock against a dollar bill that the Steelers would design plays to draw this guy in to high probability situations of finishing him off.

Make all the excuses, apologies and fantasies that you want, but a #1 draft pick, who is supposed to be a badass, hobbling around in a boot due to re-injuring a part of his body that caused him to sit out games before, is NOT promising for his future, nor for the Browns.

Again, FluteGirl argued with me incessantly that Winslow's microfracture was going to return him to like new.

This just does not happen in the NFL. The competition is un-fucking-believable, and the stress on a healthy body is bad enough. Compared to you and I, even fatass injured OL could beat you and I in a footrace. But NFL players don't compete against you and i, they compete against other sharks who are all blood thirsty.

Garrett is fragile. His was a one dimensional ballet dancer that spend his entire college career playing non-contact football, running sprints every play. This is the NFL. Injured this easily and early? Let's not be Winslow stupid again. We drafted a fucktard.

FWIW, I declared Winslow done ( and credit my local sports med doc for the input on that one) way before he folded.

Regarding Garrett- we'll see if he's injury prone. Ag will tell you he's willing to play injured. He got drafted and remember this one- because he's the biggest, fastest, jumping the highest shark in the ocean. If the Browns are wrong on Myles- it's not just them- it's every talent evaluator, and the other 31 teams that would have drafted him if they had the chance to.

Heres the honest of Gods truth... Miley Garrett is a nice kid.. He studies hard... Loves Dinosaurs and Paleoentology.... Well He can plan his retirement in the Montana Badlands digging up bones the rest of his life.. Because He's too frail to make it in the NFl.. BUT,BUT,BUT.. According to all of you geniuses.. Hes the second coming of RayRay...

Ok.....did I miss some terrible injuries or something, that would condemn him as injury prone??......I admit to not being aware, if he's had them.....

I know he had a sprained ankle last year, which he played through....is there more to the story?......someone enlighten me....

Staph ended Bentleys career. Wasn't the injury.

Did he get staph from the surgery for the injury? If so, why wouldn't the injury be considered the beginning of the end? The body can't be a host without the knife... The knife isn't needed without the injury so I see the injury as pertinent here.

Ok.....did I miss some terrible injuries or something, that would condemn him as injury prone??......I admit to not being aware, if he's had them.....

I know he had a sprained ankle last year, which he played through....is there more to the story?......someone enlighten me....

You don't miss a thing Mudsies! Well done!

Having said that, I'd like to see this guy get some rest and recuperation before training camp. When I heard him say the reason he was reluctant to do the Pro Day that Jeff Fisher convinced him otherwise on - he mentioned he had lower leg soreness. High ankle sprains don't heal fast - especially if an athlete sucks it up and plays through the pain. While football coaches applaud it - it can further aggravate and/or prolong the injury. OR, subconsciously favoring 1 injury on a leg can lead to a different injury in the same leg/foot which could very well be the case Mary Kay wants to mountain from an ant hill.

Now, let's understand what immediately follows a final college season for an elite prospect. Some can skip the all star games/practices to strength and condition for Indy. Luckily that's what Garrett got to do leading up to his heroics at the Underwear Olympics. That still leads into a prolonged period of working out at a high level to impress because right after Indy it's time to get ready for the Pro Days. Then, it's time to get ready for any scheduled visits and assessments NFL teams may have.

In 1997 and 1998, I volunteered 2 very early mornings a week to the Tampa Bay Strength and Conditioning Program outside of the 50 hours I was a Corp Fitness Manager at Xerox. In the process, I met a former Ohio State Grad with a Master's in Ex Phys and first Coach hired by Tony Dungy in Tampa named Mark Asanovich who was the Head Strength & Conditioning Coach. He told me they encouraged all their players to get themselves some rest and recuperation after the season to heal. He said they're going to be going from May through January and a good portion of that will be working out during the football season 3 times a week, which will build up to necessitate recuperation. I don't think Garrett has had the recuperation he high ankle sprain has needed. I might be wrong but when I listened to the press conference for our first 3 1st round guys - lower leg soreness was the reason he didn't want to do the Pro Day before he was convinced otherwise. I could be wrong but I think this is a quiet frustration brewing for a kid that wants to do really well here to be the guy we want/need him to be.

I didn't know this kid at all - and still don't. That said, I like how he has conducted himself and don't get the impression we landed a diva that prefers "I before team" or has a Gerrard Warren like entitlement. I loved his reply about how the ankle injury specifically impacted his final season - he said it was in the get-off that helps him beat a lot of OTs.

I don't see any reason to panic here. I'm thinking their athletic trainers/sports med staff can work well in tandem with the coaches and strength and conditioning staff to be smart with him during the meaningless doldrums of summer prior to August and preseason. I've been wrong before though...

In the last 5-10 years or so, I've seen much bigger volumes of injuries around the league than I used to. Back in the 70s and even the 80s to an extent, guys had bigger off season recuperation periods unless they were on roids that provided superior recuperation while they were getting bigger, faster, stronger. Now days, it really seems like athletes aren't getting enough recuperation and the toll on the athletes shows up on the injury lists. Meanwhile, rules promoting and emphasizing passing game, puts more guys in space more frequently than it used to so physics doesn't edit itself for safety and we see concussion volumes going up. I don't think they had this many injuries back when the NFL used prehistoric leather helmets. Think about this. Rugby has less head gear protection so guys don't lead with their heads while they often have most contact in a scrum where collisions take place from guys that are closer together. That's more in line with the way I remember football from the 70s with running games like Miami (Csonka, Kiick, Morris). The 4.3 speed of Paul Warfield on the perimeter was an ideal manipulator of where defenses could put their Safety. Cheat up into the box? Warfield over the top. That's the pick your poison worthy of an undefeated season despite how few games the HOF QB Griese was even needed in 72.

Sorry for the length....

Did he get staph from the surgery for the injury? If so, why wouldn't the injury be considered the beginning of the end? The body can't be a host without the knife... The knife isn't needed without the injury so I see the injury as pertinent here.

Absolutely.......agree....cause & consequences....cant have one without the other.....

True story that I will share......In 2013, I had a heart attack caused by a toothpick.....

Myself and Mrs Mud are watching TV and I decide I need a snack....jump out of my chair and a toothpick stabs through my sock and into my foot....YOUCH!....went kinda deep too...call it a 1/2" mega splinter.....so I dig that log outta my foot, bitch a little bit and go get my snack....

Next morning I wake up and step out of bed and.....whammo....ringing pain. I look down and my foot is swollen like a football and dark red.....red as fuck.....BUT the real scary part was the red lines racing up my leg.....and the green shit erupting from the now huge toothpick hole in the bottom of my foot.....Mrs Mudd has some medical background and said we are going to the hospital right now....this is bad......

By 1 oclock I was being prepped for surgery....diagnosed with Necrotizing Fascitis....IE: flesh eating staph......and it was now upto my knee.......red lines racing upward.....

Wake up much later......my foot bandaged and in a bag(no shit)....and several IV's attached.....Doc comes in and tells me I am in grave danger, with a life threatening infection....my foot is bagged and Im in isolation, due to the severity of my infection......and the IV's are some of the strongest cocktails available......he's says they removed the entire sole of my foot and much meat from the front pads, but for now, they decided to leave the foot and toes intact.....fingers crossed, this moves fast so we should know by tonight....(for real???)....he explains that this infection is liquefying me and they have to keep cutting the goo away....it was also into my blood stream and creating new issues, including fluid which was now building up around my heart.....and all Im thinking is WTF???.....all this cause I wanted snack?

For the next 7 days, moved to ICU...multiple IV's and different cocktails, as the infection is not going away....fever....sickness.....a second surgery to remove more goo.....and true concern that this was gonna kill me.....and the Dr's didnt flinch about saying that was a real possibility....

THEN.....things improved!....they found the right mix and it knocked the infection down....I was finally out of the woods and could go home and start recovering from the nasty wounds on my foot and ankle.....but it wasnt to be.....

Just 3 days after arriving home, I was on line surfing....just a chill recovery day at home, in my jammies.....when, out of nowhere a freight train slams me in the chest and ricochets up my neck and down my (right) arm....yep, right......I saw stars and my ears were ringing.......and I knew some real bad shit was happening...... right now....

Back to the hospital......heart attack 101......wont go on about the details, other than to say my heart was healthy....no disease....no clogged arteries....nothing......the prevailing "reasoning" was the infection, along with the intense drug treatments cause it.....

So....in the end.....my foot is basically carved out.....still works, but aint the same...and have a complete clean bill of health on my heart, with no fear of repeat issues......

The moral of this whole long long story?????....... 1 toothpick almost killed me twice

Just like that knee injury almost killed Bentley and certainly ended his career.....

post-28424-0-24634000-1497710878_thumb.jpg

To Gip........................ Just remember, I said this guy would get injured and most likely miss the bulk of the season. You thought me to be crazy. I also told you that you could bet your cock against a dollar bill that the Steelers would design plays to draw this guy in to high probability situations of finishing him off.

I think you misremember. It was not I that thought you were crazy....I had the same concerns about him being Courtney Brown Jr. Musta been someone else.

Some want to call me a conspiracy theorist? Never mind that we have a defensive coordinator that actually participated and condoned bounty hunting.

You guys think this is all fun and games, that football is about x's and 0's and analytics, and assets. It isn't about any of that shit. It is about money, about winning, and about doing what you have to do to make the highlight films, the playofs, the call for TV product endorsements and MNF and TNF appearances.

Garrett is a bleeding fish being prepared to go into a shark tank.

Let me deal you an additional dose of harsh reality. There is no sport that rivals the NFL. It is played by the biggest, fastest, most borderline-barbaric human beings that years of training, testosterone and HGM can produce. All of them, like animals about to be slaughtered, fighting for their football lives which, as you well know, more often than not are very short careers.

For you or I to have a twisted, re-injured foot, and to spend a few days in a boot? Yeah, no big deal. But for an NFL hopeful? I tried to argue this point with you guys about RG3 and before him Kellen Winslow and his useless microfracture surgery, when NFL guys get injured, especially repeatedly in the same area, it is physically and humanly impossible for them to ever play at the level they did before the injuries started. IMPOSSIBLE.

Furthermore, human beings have a natural instinct for self preservation (unless you are Kosar who really was Johnny Football), and you need to think about this.

The boot is just a precaution? They are just being cautious? Yes.............. and think about what that means. Garrett doesn't want to lose his career to an ankle, you can bet his sense of self preservation is going to have him playing cautiously, and not like th raging wombat you think he is. The coaches? Likewise, they will be cautious with the kid when he returns.

Garrett was one of the worst picks in the history of the Browns drafting. This may not be as bad as Warfield for Phipps, but Garret for Trubisky? Trust me bro, this is going to stick in the Browns throat perhaps worse than anything they have done in a long, long time.

While I have said you don't know if this is true....I am not personally discounting the fact that you may be right.

Make all the excuses, apologies and fantasies that you want, but a #1 draft pick, who is supposed to be a badass, hobbling around in a boot due to re-injuring a part of his body that caused him to sit out games before, is NOT promising for his future, nor for the Browns.

Again, FluteGirl argued with me incessantly that Winslow's microfracture was going to return him to like new.

This just does not happen in the NFL. The competition is un-fucking-believable, and the stress on a healthy body is bad enough. Compared to you and I, even fatass injured OL could beat you and I in a footrace. But NFL players don't compete against you and i, they compete against other sharks who are all blood thirsty.

Garrett is fragile. His was a one dimensional ballet dancer that spend his entire college career playing non-contact football, running sprints every play. This is the NFL. Injured this easily and early? Let's not be Winslow stupid again. We drafted a fucktard.

I said that I was concerned that much of his college production came against the cupcakes on their schedule...remember that?

So...again, I hope you are wrong. I hope he becomes the Beast of the North Coast.....but it may turn out you are right.

We just don't know.

Well if it turns out this guy is unable to play the game football what the fuck's the difference who we would have taken instead?

WSS

Well, who you take can mean a big difference. If we had drafted Derek Carr instead of JP Manziel...do you not think that could have made a difference?

Dang, Mud, that was close. With my "new" bionic knee, I will always have to take

antibiotics when I'm going to the dentist. Infections are no joke alright - that was

too close for you. That is just awful.

Dang, Mud, that was close. With my "new" bionic knee, I will always have to take

antibiotics when I'm going to the dentist. Infections are no joke alright - that was

too close for you. That is just awful.

It was like a bad dream.....funny part is that, now, whenever someone spots a toothpick on the ground....we form a 10 ft radius and handle that killer immediately.....infections AND toothpicks are no jokes in this house.....ha!

Well, who you take can mean a big difference. If we had drafted Derek Carr instead of JP Manziel...do you not think that could have made a difference?

I'm talking about making a huge investment and the number one Prospect in the draft and then finding out that you didn't know enough about his medical condition and he won't be able to play. That means it doesn't matter which able-bodied Prospect you selected there.

WSS

I'm talking about making a huge investment and the number one Prospect in the draft and then finding out that you didn't know enough about his medical condition and he won't be able to play. That means it doesn't matter which able-bodied Prospect you selected there.

WSS

Until I hear otherwise I'm calling it a fracture or lisfranc. Surgery coming soon, possible amputation.

You of course realize your willful ignorance has no bearing on miles injury?

Call it whatever you want, no one really cares.

You of course realize your willful ignorance has no bearing on miles injury?

Call it whatever you want, no one really cares.

Oh you'll care when he doesn't answer the bell for training camp.

And yet we're still in search of our very first cut and paste of what I actually said from you. Should I be flattered at how hard you're trying and the lengths you've resorted to? The reality here between you and me is one of us has a pretty good background in football while the other has only worn a jock strap as the eye patch of his pirate costume on Halloween.

So where are we Girlie? Oh yeah, Winslow's post op prognosis. While I'll admit I thought Winslow would be a great pick for us - I never thought multiple surgeries and staph infections would make him like new. That's just more of you desperately posting what you wished I said. He only made 1 Pro Bowl after all the surgeries and staph infections so he was only a solid receiving TE while Steve Heiden had to step up and be our dual purpose TE.

I'm not the guy in this discussion that needs an online persona nor am I the guy with all the guarantees. Having said that, somebody told this entire message board about a fight we were going to have in Nashville the week the Browns were in town. Take a guess at which one of us showed up for this challenge and which one did not. Thunder makes all the noise like you did but lightning does all the damage at warped speed like I did. Hoorta and Gipper remember your no show.

I feel so bad for you Girlie that I actually gave your desperate effort the only green thatta boy I see on your behalf before your male cheerleaders from Pittsburgh show up to add to it.

I don't know but it's most likely Trent Richardson... but if I recall his rookie season was a pretty good one. Had we not traded him and instead improved our O-Line and got a real FB at the position, he might still be running. It's all relative and anything in the NFL can change without a moments notice. I think that it comes down to about one to two seconds and the ball being between one to two inches in a diffrent place. How many passes last year could have been knocked down? How many balls could have been punched out? How many fumbles could have been recovered or interceptions made? It comes down to the four fifteen minute quarters that take place once a week that determines what is remembered and what counts. Injuries will happen, people get hurt from one reason or another, if you are relying on one guy, unless him name has been Tom Brady, one guy will not make or break a team. It's a team effort and it's a game of inches. Why not us?

Anybody remember the last first-round superstar that was injured all through training camp? Po G?

WSS

The report scrolling on the NFL channel is it is only a sprain and he will be ready for training camp. Perhaps a more appropriate question Steve is - how many superstars were made in June and July?

The reality here between you and me is one of us has a pretty good background in football while the other has only worn a jock strap as the eye patch of his pirate costume on Halloween.

Quite possibly one of the funniest things ever......

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/06/myles_garrett_foot.html

Browns' Myles Garrett has lateral foot sprain, expected to be ready for training camp

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns caught a break Saturday regarding No. 1 overall pick Myles Garrett's injured left foot.
Two doctors diagnosed him with a lateral foot sprain and he's expected to be ready for training camp in late July, the Browns announced Saturday.
Garrett was first diagnosed by Browns head team physician Dr. James Voos of University Hospitals, and then as part of the team's process, by specialist Dr. Robert Anderson of OrthoCarolina, who did not examine him in person but reviewed the exams.
It's good news for the Browns, who hoped that Garrett didn't sustain any major structural damage such as a fracture or Lisfranc injury after he went down in minicamp on Wednesday afternoon. A Lisfranc injury would've required surgery and up to a year-long recovery.
As it is, a patient with Garrett's diagnosis can expect to be about 80% in about four to six weeks, and fully recovered within three months, depending on the severity of the partial or complete tear of the soft tissue in the foot, according an independent foot and ankle surgeon who has not examined Garrett.
Garrett is currently in a walking boot and will receive treatment on the ankle over the next six weeks. He'll have to rest it for awhile, but will gradually work his way back into shape for camp, which is set to begin on July 27th.
Garrett will likely be eased back into action in camp, and not full-go right away.
The injury is a new sprain and not related to any previous injury. Garrett had been limited in organized team activities with what a source told cleveland.com was a sore foot that was also briefly immobilized in a boot.
He also suffered a left high ankle sprain last season at Texas A&M that hampered him all season and limited him to 8 1/2 sacks.
The No. 1 overall pick in the draft, Garrett injured it on the second day of minicamp and was photographed in the boot at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport on Friday morning as he was leaving town for the summer break.
It happened on a would-be sack of Brock Osweiler in a two-minute drill late in the non-contact practice when he stormed in off the edge. He immediately fell to his knees in pain, and clutched his left foot.
He hobbled off the field and was examined on the sidelines, and later limped into the fieldhouse after the lightning sirens went off.
Garrett was absent from the practice field on the last day of minicamp Thursday while he underwent further evaluation on the foot, and was also excused Friday morning from attending a youth clinic at FirstEnergy Stadium with his fellow rookies.
The injury caused immediate concern because of Garrett's injury history with his left lower leg. Garrett had admitted that he was frustrated sitting out some of OTAs because he "wanted to be out there grinding'' with his teammates.
Garrett suffered the injury after a minicamp sack of Brock Osweiler, but received treatment on the sidelines and didn't leave the field.
Garrett's good friend and fellow rookie Larry Ogunjobi said Friday morning at the youth clinic that he was helping Garrett keep his spirits up.
"It sucks, especially when he's one of your good friends,'' Ogunjobi said of seeing Garrett falls to his knees and grab his foot. "I've known Myles for just a short period of time, but we've connected and you know how good of a person he is because he's humble and he's hungry and really wants to be great. So you know it sucks, but it's part of the game. It's part of the process and you know he's going to bounce back.''
He said Garrett is handling it well.
"You know, same mentality, one day at a time,'' Ogunjobi said. "That's the nature of the game. That's just what it is. You kind of have to keep him in high spirits, you keep him going and you know he's good. He's still smiling, he's still feeling good. It's just part of life. You can't really be up and down. You've got to be even keel and just take it one day at a time.''
First-round tight end David Njoku agreed that Garrett has had a a great attitude.
"Myles is always a happy camper,'' he said. "So he's just fine."
Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been impressed with Garrett in the limited reps he's had since rookie minicamp last month.
"He's done a great job,'' said Williams. "It's still way early, but you guys are going to see a pretty good football player when he gets a chance to get out there and go. I've got a big smile on my face, I'm just waiting to let him show everybody before I talk about him.''
Defensive line coach Clyde Simmons is also eager for his return.
"He's everything we (expected,)'' Simmons said. "Coach Jackson will handle all of the injury stuff. Myles is everything we expected."
Garrett signed his fully guaranteed four-year deal worth $30.4 million on May 19th. It included a $20.258 million signing bonus and a club option for a fifth year.
The Browns drafted Garrett No. 1 overall after his stellar career at Texas A&M, where he had 32 1/2 sacks in three seasons, which were tops in the country from 2014-16. He was also a two-time Lombardi Award finalist for the nation's best linebacker.
Garrett had flashed some of that first-round explosiveness in spring practices.
"(You see) a guy who's just ready to play,'' Ogunjobi said. "We work together when we do our position drills and stuff like that. You just see a guy who knows what he wants to do and how he wants to do it. He's a guy you can learn a lot from.''
Now, the Browns are hoping he'll pick up right where he left off, when he elicited a "Holy Smokes!'' from Jackson for his explosiveness off the edge.

Absolutely.......agree....cause & consequences....cant have one without the other.....

True story that I will share......In 2013, I had a heart attack caused by a toothpick.....

Myself and Mrs Mud are watching TV and I decide I need a snack....jump out of my chair and a toothpick stabs through my sock and into my foot....YOUCH!....went kinda deep too...call it a 1/2" mega splinter.....so I dig that log outta my foot, bitch a little bit and go get my snack....

Next morning I wake up and step out of bed and.....whammo....ringing pain. I look down and my foot is swollen like a football and dark red.....red as fuck.....BUT the real scary part was the red lines racing up my leg.....and the green shit erupting from the now huge toothpick hole in the bottom of my foot.....Mrs Mudd has some medical background and said we are going to the hospital right now....this is bad......

By 1 oclock I was being prepped for surgery....diagnosed with Necrotizing Fascitis....IE: flesh eating staph......and it was now upto my knee.......red lines racing upward.....

Wake up much later......my foot bandaged and in a bag(no shit)....and several IV's attached.....Doc comes in and tells me I am in grave danger, with a life threatening infection....

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. That's a terrifying series of events to go through Mud. Thank God that didn't end your life my man.

Archived