THE BROWNS BOARD

New Nike Uniforms

The new uniforms Nike has made for teams this year will be revealed tomorrow at 11 a.m. Eastern Time. Although there isn't much change with the Browns general uniform model, there are strong rumors floating around that we will be using an orange top alternate Nike has made a few times this year. Excited to see what Nike has done, but I hope they haven't messed with the traditional style as well. Here is an article with more info.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/45163/uni-watch-unveiling-set-for-tuesday

Nike became the NFL's official uniform outfitter on Sunday, but you'll have to wait to see if there are any changes in store for your favorite AFC North team. The new threads will be showcased at a media event scheduled for 11 a.m. ET on Tuesday.

There have been a few leaks such as the Carolina Panthers tweaking their logo and the Jacksonville Jaguars sporting an alternate black jersey. Remember to check back here tomorrow and I'll give my take on the new uniforms.

My guess is the Cleveland Browns won't be putting a brownie elf on their helmets and the Pittsburgh Steelers won't be changing to all-gold jerseys. As most of you know, I graduated from the University of Maryland, and if you saw the Terps' football team play last season, uniforms are a sensitive subject in the Hensley household.

Let's just hope Nike and/or the NFL and/or the Browns showed a little restraint...

Some of the Nike Collegiate stuff is just, plain FUGLY.

No need to worry about anything. In college it's all about getting recruits and as lame as it is... having flashy uniforms helps. In the pros there is no need to have insane uniforms because you aren't trying to get the top young high school recruits to commit to your school.

The uniforms will be fairly conservative I believe.

I think the only team going through major changes is the Seattle Seahawks. All other teams probably won't be noticable, other than a Nike swoosh replacing the reebok on the jersey.

The real question is who's jersey do you buy? I guess whichever player seems to have the longest future on the team. Since most Browns fans have closets filled with Hills, Edwards, Couch, Droughns, Vickers, Winslow, Garcia, Frye, Wimbley, Anderson, Quinn, or Lewis jerseys. Can you buy some #00 with "insert name here" on the back? McCoy, will soon be added to that list.

I'd say Phil Dawson haha since we only care about making field goals, so he'll be around forever!

Seriously Cleveland fans have to buy the most jerseys out of any sports city. They only have a lifespan of 2-years max, before you have to get the duct tape out and cover up the name

I've said may times use #46 put your name on it, and it's good forever. :)

... or 14 or 45 or 76...

I actually had to look up Fleming. I did not remember him or his sad story.

On a happier note I met Lou-the-Toe one winter at Metropark's Swiss Chalet toboggan run.

Do they even ask people what they think?

I liked the Reebok hats, yes they made some ugly ass ones but for the most part they were nice and fit well. New Era hats are ugly and the worst fitting hats out there.

Maybe they went to the pubs on a friday night in Buffalo and asked the locals what they thought of the hats, only way i can see people liking them.

The jerseys in college are just recruiting tools. Turned Oregon into a team trying to bust the top #25 into a legit national title contender every season. For the NFL they won't do much but look cool or ugly as shit. Doesn't matter for us though, they won't be able to change the Browns jersey's too much but maybe we will get lucky and see the return of orange pants!

I think the only team going through major changes is the Seattle Seahawks. All other teams probably won't be noticable, other than a Nike swoosh replacing the reebok on the jersey.

The real question is who's jersey do you buy? I guess whichever player seems to have the longest future on the team. Since most Browns fans have closets filled with Hills, Edwards, Couch, Droughns, Vickers, Winslow, Garcia, Frye, Wimbley, Anderson, Quinn, or Lewis jerseys. Can you buy some #00 with "insert name here" on the back? McCoy, will soon be added to that list.

I'd say Phil Dawson haha since we only care about making field goals, so he'll be around forever!

Seriously Cleveland fans have to buy the most jerseys out of any sports city. They only have a lifespan of 2-years max, before you have to get the duct tape out and cover up the name

Why buy anyone's jersey? I am a Browns fan, I don't own a single goddam jersey. A fucking complete waste of money. Just go to any store that sells Browns gear and buy a hat, jacket, t-shirt, muffler, sweat pants, whatever. Generic stuff.

If you HAVE to have a players jersey, there are plenty of #32s you can buy, or #76, or #14.

Those would be the only ones I would consider.

(yea, they are the retired jerseys of Jim Brown, Lou Groza, and Otto Graham)

I liked the Reebok hats, yes they made some ugly ass ones but for the most part they were nice and fit well. New Era hats are ugly and the worst fitting hats out there.

Maybe they went to the pubs on a friday night in Buffalo and asked the locals what they thought of the hats, only way i can see people liking them.

What happened to the plain black hat with the logo on it. That is why I haven't bought a hat in 8 years.

Why buy anyone's jersey? I am a Browns fan, I don't own a single goddam jersey. A fucking complete waste of money. Just go to any store that sells Browns gear and buy a hat, jacket, t-shirt, muffler, sweat pants, whatever. Generic stuff.

If you HAVE to have a players jersey, there are plenty of #32s you can buy, or #76, or #14.

Those would be the only ones I would consider.

(yea, they are the retired jerseys of Jim Brown, Lou Groza, and Otto Graham)

The only reason I didn't buy Otto was it was something like 140 dollars, and well fuck that shit.

Is that future Denards jersey?

As for jerseys that don't work anymore... I got a decent span out of my Edwards jersey haha

That is Josh Cribbs. Though, since Ghoolie has been asking to replace Cribbs, maybe the Browns could use one of their 7th rounders on Denard and he can return kicks and punts.

Wouldn't current players jerseys be just as much? At that price, definitely FTS.

Depends if you want a "replica" or a game day. The real on-field stuff is expensive, and IMHO doesn't fit as nice as the replicas. The real jerseys are cut for shoulder pads- I usually don't wear pads to tailgates. :) The knock offs are usually well under $100 bucks, the gamedays over $200. If you were ever going to buy one, now would be the time, as NFLShop will be dumping all the Reebok stuff.

Depends if you want a "replica" or a game day. The real on-field stuff is expensive, and IMHO doesn't fit as nice as the replicas. The real jerseys are cut for shoulder pads- I usually don't wear pads to tailgates. :) The knock offs are usually well under $100 bucks, the gamedays over $200. If you were ever going to buy one, now would be the time, as NFLShop will be dumping all the Reebok stuff.

OK, sure. If in fact you purchase a jersey worn in a game, then I would expect it to be more. That is in effect a piece of "Memorabilia" rather than just an apparell purchase.

I would think that a game worn jersey of Otto Graham's from the 40s/50s would bring quite a bit more than $140.00

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nike-and-nfl-unveil-new-2012-uniforms-with-32-nfl-athletes-2012-04-03

April 3, 2012, 12:05 p.m. EDT

Nike and NFL Unveil New 2012 Uniforms with 32 NFL Athletes

Uniform Features Highly Innovative, Lightweight Uniform System

NEW YORK, Apr 03, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Nike /quotes/zigman/235840/quotes/nls/nke NKE +0.49% unveiled today its Nike Elite 51 football uniforms for the 2012 NFL season -- a head-to-toe integrated system of dress.

NFL players Victor Cruz, Ndamukong Suh, Larry Fitzgerald, Brian Urlacher, Ben Roethlisberger, Champ Bailey, and Ray Rice were some of the athletes representing each of the 32 NFL teams joining Nike President & CEO Mark Parker, Nike Brand President Charlie Denson and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to unveil the highly innovative new uniforms.

“The NFL is one of the greatest sporting leagues in the world," said Parker. "We know football demands the best and we look forward to delivering performance innovation and style on the field, in the stands and on the street."

“The NFL is pleased to work with Nike,” said Goodell. “This relationship continues our commitment to delivering fans worldwide the best sports and entertainment experience. We are looking forward to the excitement and innovation Nike will bring to our game, players and fans.”

Designed and engineered from the inside out, the new uniform focuses on creating a system where the baselayer, padding, jersey and pant work in concert. Lightweight padding is also integrated directly into the crucial “hit zones” in the baselayer. New innovations include integrating Flywire technology into the neckline to reduce weight and provide lockdown fit over pads, increasing sleeve articulation for better range of motion, and integrating new four-way stretch fabrication to provide a streamlined shrink-wrap fit.

“With today’s game being about strength and speed, it’s extremely exciting to know that when I take the field for the 2012 NFL season, I will be doing so in a uniform that is lightweight, fast and durable while also providing the targeted protection I need,” said Arizona Cardinals All-Pro wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald. “As a player, you want zero distractions on the field.”

In addition to the new fabrication and performance-led design, teams chose varying levels of design changes reflecting their unique heritage. For example, the Chicago Bears chose to continue to honor George S. Hallas, - the revolutionary player, coach and respected innovator -- by enlarging his GSH initials on the jersey sleeve. The Seattle Seahawks worked with Nike to re-design the entire design of their uniform to honor the team’s Northwest roots, and also give a nod to the fans.

“Our brief was to provide players with everything they need and nothing more. We blended cutting edge technology and fabrications with more than 40 years of knowledge, craft and insight into the game,” said Nike’s Design Director for Football, Todd Van Horne. “We worked closely with the teams, listening to their needs and delivering the best options to serve those athletes.”

The agreement with the NFL gives Nike rights to be the official uniform supplier of the NFL for on field, baselayer, sideline and practice wear. Product for the 32 team uniforms is scheduled for pre-sale on April 15th onward on nikestore.com, NFLShop.com and individual team websites. Fans can buy jerseys starting April 26th via their team stores and starting April 27th at broader retail locations including Nike stores.

The Nike Elite 51 -- A Completely integrated System of Dress -- key features include:

-- LIGHTER -- The Nike jersey and pant, wet or dry, are lighter than previous versions

-- FLYWIRE TECHNOLOGY -- Eliminates layers, reduces weight, and provides lockdown fit

-- ZONED MESH VENTILATION -- Provides cooling zones for optimal thermoregulation

-- ZONED STRENGTH -- High tenacity, stretch material, for light weight lockdown strength

-- CUT FOR MOBILITY -- Four-way stretch, hydrophobic materials enable range of motion wet or dry

-- STRETCH TWILL NUMBERS -- Four-way stretch even on numbering system

-- CUSTOMIZABLE BASELAYER PADDING -- Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong baselayer with integrated lightweight, Deflex padding offering customizable flexible protection

-- DEFLEX PADDING -- Lightweight, flexible impact protection integrated into top “hit zone” areas

-- ALUMINUM D-RING BELT -- Aircraft-grade aluminum D-ring belt reduces weight

The uniform also features the Nike Vapor Game Sock -- a highly innovative sock designed specifically for football. The knee-high design combines compression, Nike Pro inspired cushioning, mesh venting and structure precisely where needed.

The Nike Vapor Jet 2.0 Gloves deliver a lightweight, breathable and articulated fit combined with innovative Magnigrip on the palms and between the fingers for a tacky grip suitable for all weather conditions. The team logo is featured prominently on the palm when athletes interlock both hands.

The Nike Vapor Talon Elite cleat is designed to maximize speed with premium performance attributes including adaptive traction, Hyperfuse construction and carbon fiber strength. Utilizing the best of Nike’s proven technologies, it provides lightweight traction and durability and a lockdown fit. Built for diverse ground conditions, the adaptive traction system utilizes on-demand forefoot talon cleats for multi-directional field movement.

For more information including multimedia, visit www.NIKEInc.com .

About NIKE, Inc.

NIKE, Inc., based near Beaverton, Oregon, is the world’s leading designer, marketer and distributor of authentic athletic footwear, apparel, equipment and accessories for a wide variety of sports and fitness activities. Wholly owned Nike subsidiaries include Converse Inc., which designs, markets and distributes athletic footwear, apparel and accessories; Cole Haan, which designs, markets and distributes luxury shoes, handbags, accessories and coats; Umbro Ltd., a leading United Kingdom-based global football (soccer) brand; and Hurley International LLC, which designs, markets and distributes action sports and youth lifestyle footwear, apparel and accessories. For more information, visit www.nikeinc.com and follow @nike.

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50226822&lang=en

SOURCE: NIKE, Inc.

Wouldn't current players jerseys be just as much? At that price, definitely FTS.

Naw I sell jerseys for a few extra bucks while im at college. I can get current jerseys for like 30 bucks from china and resell for like 80 to 90 but getting old jerseys are only made by the actual US companies which charge out the ass.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nike-and-nfl-unveil-new-2012-uniforms-with-32-nfl-athletes-2012-04-03

April 3, 2012, 12:05 p.m. EDT

Nike and NFL Unveil New 2012 Uniforms with 32 NFL Athletes

Uniform Features Highly Innovative, Lightweight Uniform System

TMI dude.

I mean, we're talking about uniforms. Uniforms. Not a game, not a game, be we talkin' about uniforms.

Archived