THE BROWNS BOARD

Agnew

Tour2ma

Here's my summary:

1. He cannot lead on zone blocking plays because most plays he cannot see the "holes". He tends to run all the way to the sideline on wide zone runs.

2. When he sees zone holes, he misses seeing Defenders.

3. When he sees Defenders, he does not blow them up.

4. He does better in structured run plays with designed assignments, but still whiffs Defenders and does not blow up those he hits.

Below are my comments in the week's O-line review. I am generally not into ranking individual failures' contributions to a loss. However, if there's a list of players who cost us the Ravens game, Ag's should be on it... prominently.

Ray Agnew +3 -13 net -10!!!!! --- F-

Until now I have never called out a non-lineman before for his blocking. Ray earned this call out by following spectacular fail with spectacular fail. His half included 6 dbl-s. SIX! And unlike some of his past mentions, these were not mismatches, but appropriate assignments. Rays epic fails came on two levels...

First, he simply did not see the cracks created by the zone scheme that the RB he was leading saw. Examples of this were in S5P1, S5P2 and S5P5. In general he seems determined to head all the way to the outside, to the sideline. This is what a RB with poor vision/ decisiveness does in any wide zone run. One of his +s came for an edge kick-out block.

Second, he whiffed obvious assignments as he did in S8P1 and S10P2. In the former he actually seemed to be avoiding the LB he ran by; in the latter he actually split two defenders rather than pick one.

His last dbl-'s was awarded along with ?'s. At least one option was available to actually participate in play S9P2, but he did not take it and ended up doing nothing.

We are running just fine with a fullback who can't block. A wasted roster spot.

Yup... I think our SB-2TE sets are our most productive. And the variations Kyle gets out of it are many and varied...

I thought you were going to talk about ole Spiro Agnew........

Spiro T.? I can if you like... but not in this section of the forum...

I disagree and think that Agnew has actually been an asset to our running game.

He has neutralized many defenders and has blown-up a few [even though that really isn't the goal..]

One should remember that in a ZBS, the FB does not always lead the RB to the hole.

I think it was a wise choice to keep Agnew over Gray and that he is one of the reasons our running game is working so well, thus far.

Tour your grades are really well done and I'm not one to argue data much. BUT, on the field it seems like the guy is there blocking well at least IMO. I don't expect you to do this but is there data on YPC when he's in compared to not? What do you mean by "blow up" defenders, pancake blocks or?

Tour your grades are really well done and I'm not one to argue data much. BUT, on the field it seems like the guy is there blocking well at least IMO. I don't expect you to do this but is there data on YPC when he's in compared to not? What do you mean by "blow up" defenders, pancake blocks or?

Thanks, again...

I agree... I had the same impression in-game. It was not until I analyzed the plays that I saw what was going on. I was shocked at how many plays ended in the 2nd half due to what seemed to me to be an obvious Agnew failure.

By "blow up" I mean either moving a defensive player off his spot or making him change his trajectory through impact. Would include pancakes and ducking for cover, but is not limited to them.

I disagree and think that Agnew has actually been an asset to our running game.

He has neutralized many defenders and has blown-up a few [even though that really isn't the goal..]

One should remember that in a ZBS, the FB does not always lead the RB to the hole.

I think it was a wise choice to keep Agnew over Gray and that he is one of the reasons our running game is working so well, thus far.

When one LB goes unblocked, fills the seam the RB sees and chooses and makes the initial hit, if not a solo tackle...

While Agnew runs past the same seam less than two seconds earlier and is the only blocker who does never made contact with a defender...

Is it not fair to say that Agnew missed the "hole" and his assignment?

"Many" and "few"... somewhat less specific than "+3 -13 net -10" in a half. I think Week 3 had to be his worst game. If for no other reason than I would like to believe I would have noticed issues this serious earlier had either of the first two weeks been anywhere near as bad. That said...

- Week 1: I had basically no notes on RBs and few on TEs.

- Week 2: I did not sum scores for any RB at the time, but did note significant efforts (or lack of...) throughout and inserted the following in Half one's general notes...

"6. Of the RBs... when it comes to blocking TW seems to lead the current pack with Agnew surprisingly lagging it by a fair margin. Crow had a dbl+ for one blitz p/u, but a dbl- for missing another. Ag had a bad day lead blocking to boot; he got a dbl- on our first play."

FYI... Had I summed Ag's scores for the day it would have been +1 -4 net -3 with two dbl-'s.

The other issue of course is opportunity or play count. I doubt Ag played much Week 1 given how far and fast we fell behind, but did not note formations so I cannot be sure. He should have played more Week 2 and I note either "I" or "PowerI" in my notes 12 times. Week 3 the I-count was up to 23, but 4 or 5 were TEs lined up as H-backs.

So by my count Ag had more opportunity to fail in Week 3 and took full advantage of it.

On Agnew vs. Gray... I agreed when the move was made, but am less sure now.

Gray could catch.

Gray was the better ball carrier.

Agnew seemed to be the better blocker, but now I seriously doubt that.

Mike Alstott wasn't a good FB either, he was only listed as one. He was decent in pass protection but he was a power RB for the most part. In any case, I can't really argue this thread much because I haven't been watching Agnew specifically. What I have seen is a tremendous fucking improvement in our run game and I don't think it's all on the runners. It's the O line and I'm sorry but I just have to think that getting a FB again has to have something to do with it.

He is not a mike Alsott.

Archived