THE BROWNS BOARD

carries split w/tate

cvcanedy

He needs to prove his productivity first and foremost. I would start him, give him 60% of the carries and give either Crowell or West the other 40%. If he runs well, than alternate Crowell and West from week to week as the other 40% guy. I do not think Tate should be getting more than 60% of the carries. For one the other guys have proven they produce and Tate has proven that perhaps too great a workload isn't good for him. If he runs well but then gets slightly dinged in a few weeks....absolutely no issue with resting him and going back to West and Crowell. But if Tate doesn't produce than I would yank him and go back to what's working.

The kids are coming on strong, but Tate is still the most complete back.

The above 60% is about right for him, but I think both the kids both need touches to "keep their hand in' so to speak.

Tate is injury prone but he does have grit. Last year he played with bruised ribs for most of the season. I like the guy but I would never have signed him with his history. That said, we now have depth at the running back position. Tate, West and Crowell, should all get carries to keep them fresh throughout the season. Mike Pettine said at the beginning of camp that he planned on a committee.

grit is great until you get hurt again or it affects your performance playing hurt.

if the guy is 100% run him like a dogged race horse, if not, why get him banged up when he's not 100% when we've got crowell and west who proved they can carry the ball (if the fuggin OC would learn to fead the 2 headed monster).

I read where Crowell has moved to #2....in time I think he is the star back of the Browns.

He's got a little "Beast Mode" in him.

I haven't read any Lynch comparisons yet, but think I will in time.

I would put Agnew in there as well... and Johnny Manziel, "which way did they go George, which way did they go?"

Would any of us have believed in 2013 that we would be fine with any of our 3 backs on the field in 2014? Choosing from those 3 is a pretty damn nice problem!

Mike

As long as the flow of the game allows for it I would like to see each back get between 10-15 carries a game and whoever has the hot hand would get the majority.

I would love to see a 3 back formation with Cameron and Hawkins playing on the outside.

On the other hand a nice Tate article here...

And again, our RB Coach, Wilbert Montgomery, deserves shout-out for his work with this group. Yes, they have talent, but to learn what they have learned in such a short time is no accident.

Excerpt below from: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/09/ben_tate_coming_back_as_clevel.html

"That's what we brought Tate here for -- to be the starter," Montgomery told the Akron Beacon Journal. "He's the No. 1 running back in this offense. Right now, you can say we miss him. We miss his experience. We miss his leadership with the group. Speaking from that standpoint, we'll be open arms and welcome to have Ben back into the fold."

Archived