THE BROWNS BOARD

I like Hoyer, but I would love it just to hear the crying.

So your Masters is in Sadomasochism?

He was talking about picking #1 AND #4 though, giving them #26 and whatever other picks.

Be still my heart...

I know some of you think that there are no franchise qbs in this class, but if Bridgewater/ Bortles don't prove the skeptics wrong I'll eat a clump of my own hair.

Pubic?

Foles because people mistook his 40 time for a lack of mobility... and he's actually plenty mobile and athletic.

Welcome back, stranger...

I thought the knock on Foles was a "party-boy/ work-ethic" thing.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many teams that draft in the top 10 just about every year have gone since 1999 without drafting a top 10 quarterback? That's like 15 drafts ago.

Generally when you suck, it means you don't have a quarterback. And you should draft the best one you can because without a great one, nothing else much matters.

THAT'S the Browns biggest problem. They've had corners and centers and RBs and WRs and pass rushers and just about everything else... but never a great QB.

Also wonder if we're last in Passer Rating over that time. We have to be in the bottom few.

They've had exactly one pro bowl corner- Haden, one of the few good picks they've made. The RBs were FAs or trades. Willie Green ring a bell? How about Travis Prentice? Got a good year or two out of Butterfingers Brayon and Knieviel Winslow- that doesn't make up for Mohammed Massive Drop, or Slowbiski. The Browns have made exactly one other solid pick at draft position- Joe Thomas, and one "steal" Josh Gordon. I expect better. No qb? Because Butchie had a serious hardon for Knieviel, when he should have taken Ben? Or we take Butterfingers instead of Rodgers? Sorry, we've had multiple opportunities- and not just in the first round to rectify the qb situation.

The truth is this organization has been a shit tornado since 99 so you really can't go back and claim we should have drafted so and so. Chances are if we'd had taken Roethlisberger and Pittsburgh taken Winslow then Roelisberger would probably be an unemployed never was and Winslow might be considered one of the greats. It varies by position but most of the time it takes an exceptional player to transcend a failing organizations limitations. It's a team game, not the NBA, most successful draft picks are put into the right scenario the right system with a strong supporting cast to supplement their talents. Our high selections have been at a disadvantage off the bat since 99 because this organization is a shit storm, they could be golden but sooner or later they'll be swallowed up in this storm and covered in shit.

To a point- Joe Thomas has made the Pro Bowl every year he's been in the league- though really he didn't deserve it this year. Haden and Gordon made it out of the muck this year too, and deservedly so.

But it's the same reason Jack Ham is in the HOF and Clay Matthews isn't. Switch teams and Clay is in long ago, and Ham isn't.

how is Manziel a McCoy clone? Manziel has a much better arm and better mobility. While I agree that trading up to land him would be questionable at best, if this FO believes they have to trade up to land 'their guy', regardless of who it may be, then they have to make the trade.

Okay...I really don't know how good Manziel will be, but the point is...nobody does. Hoyer is unproven, also, for the most part, but he has won 2 games in the NFL. My approach would be to stay at #4, and see who is available. I wouldn't even draft a qb at #4...I would wait until the second round. or later. Every year there is someone who comes up big in the later rounds. If Lomardi is such a genius, let him figure out who that is. I can't believe, that if you do the research you can't have a good draft. The problem here is that nobody does the actual work it takes to find the guy. They just go through the motions....they're not going to be held accountable anyway. If we trade Hoyer, then here we are...again...Weeden, Campbell, a rookie or maybe Kirk Cousins instead of Campbell. I can't really get too excited about that.

They've had exactly one pro bowl corner- Haden, one of the few good picks they've made. The RBs were FAs or trades. Willie Green ring a bell? How about Travis Prentice? Got a good year or two out of Butterfingers Brayon and Knieviel Winslow- that doesn't make up for Mohammed Massive Drop, or Slowbiski. The Browns have made exactly one other solid pick at draft position- Joe Thomas, and one "steal" Josh Gordon. I expect better. No qb? Because Butchie had a serious hardon for Knieviel, when he should have taken Ben? Or we take Butterfingers instead of Rodgers? Sorry, we've had multiple opportunities- and not just in the first round to rectify the qb situation.

To a point- Joe Thomas has made the Pro Bowl every year he's been in the league- though really he didn't deserve it this year. Haden and Gordon made it out of the muck this year too, and deservedly so.

But it's the same reason Jack Ham is in the HOF and Clay Matthews isn't. Switch teams and Clay is in long ago, and Ham isn't.

If Manziel shares this same kind of reasoning, I'd not be surprised at all if he pulls an Elway/Eli if the Browns draft him.

Mingo, Sheard and Kruger could all start over at weak side linebacker over Malcolm Smith. All had similar stat lines and played nearly the same amount.

Agree that the different schemes complicate the comparison, but I think your definition of "similar" needs work...

Smith in 15 games ( 8 starts) had 1.0 sack - 2 INTs - 6 PDs - 47 Tkls - 30 Assts - 1 FF

Kruger in 16 games (16 starts) had 4.5 sacks - 0 INTs - 5 PDs - 26 Tkls - 21 Assts - 2 FF

Sheard in 13 games (13 starts) had 5.5 sacks - 0 INTs - 4 PDs - 19 Tkls - 17 Assts - 1 FF

Generally when you suck, it means you don't have a quarterback. And you should draft the best one you can because without a great one, nothing else much matters.

Let us begin again...

Which means burning a #1 year after year after year until you get your guy... and by then the rest of your team is crap.

No thanks...

I like Hoyer, and I think he's got the infamous "it" factor

I don't know what anyone else has been hearing, but I've seen what I'd normally say is some crazy stuff.

There's new thinking in town though now, we've seen that for sure this year with the Trent deal and the shopping of Gordon . . .

Agree on the "it" factor... the force in that one is the strongest I have felt since Brian Sipe.

However, I still do not buy that we shopped Gordon around... listening is different than shopping.

Hoyer is still unproven. Going into the season with him and a third-later round pick is such a bigger risk than evaluating all of the top QBs and taking their No. 1 talent.

But to do so without the imposition of a minumum standard for that No. 1 QB is the biggest risk of all.

Just another way of phrasing the injection "need" into draft decisions, Mike.

The truth is this organization has been a shit tornado since 99 so you really can't go back and claim we should have drafted so and so. Chances are if we'd had taken Roethlisberger and Pittsburgh taken Winslow then Roelisberger would probably be an unemployed never was and Winslow might be considered one of the greats. It varies by position but most of the time it takes an exceptional player to transcend a failing organizations limitations. It's a team game, not the NBA, most successful draft picks are put into the right scenario the right system with a strong supporting cast to supplement their talents. Our high selections have been at a disadvantage off the bat since 99 because this organization is a shit storm, they could be golden but sooner or later they'll be swallowed up in this storm and covered in shit.

What a "shitty" post... :)

Agree on the Rothlesberger take...

Like it or not Pittsburgh had a much better team to put around Ben than we had at that time. Ben's rookie performance (which was much different than the Pass-happy one he has grown into) was the final piece of that particular puzzle.

Side note: It is interesting how many times the right QB is the final piece. In this case an 11th overall pick that did not start until Week 3.

Although I am not a Browns fan, I do listen to WKNR radio during the mornings and afternoons(Rizzo & Goldhammer) when my favorite Baltimore sports radio show ends. I listen because I do enjoy their entertainment and insight. With that said, I do like to follow all things NFL, and especially the AFC North Division since I am a Ravens fan.

Lately, I have been hearing rumblings about the Browns potentially trading Hoyer and picks to move up to 1st pick in the draft to select Johnny Manziel. With that said, I would like to make two things known. Number 1, I don't really think Manziel is that great of a quarterback...and with that, I don't think he is the right quarterback for the Cleveland Browns or the AFC North black and blue division. Number 2, since when was Brian Hoyer worth a hoot? I mean he has a 2 game resume (which includes beating the freaking Vikings). Why would anyone think the Texans would make that trade (saying Hoyer is their quarterback of the future?) I know the whole Bill O'Brien connection, but that's more smoke than fire.

I wanted everyone's opinion on Manziel, the Browns and Hoyer because I just can't see how anyone who is a smart football person would sit here and say "Browns don't need to necessarily draft a QB in the 1st round, as they have Hoyer)...c'mon man! And with that said, why on earth would the Texans want a guy with no resume? He's Matt Flynn...and hows that worked out?

I know most of you will be like "F this guy, hes a Ravens fan", but honestly, I would like to see the Browns competitive and relevant. I understand your sorrows as I am an Orioles fan and we deal with very similar issues and concerns.

Look forward to hearing from everyone, later.

Although I am not a Browns fan, I do listen to WKNR radio during the mornings and afternoons(Rizzo & Goldhammer) when my favorite Baltimore sports radio show ends. I listen because I do enjoy their entertainment and insight. With that said, I do like to follow all things NFL, and especially the AFC North Division since I am a Ravens fan.
Lately, I have been hearing rumblings about the Browns potentially trading Hoyer and picks to move up to 1st pick in the draft to select Johnny Manziel. With that said, I would like to make two things known. Number 1, I don't really think Manziel is that great of a quarterback...and with that, I don't think he is the right quarterback for the Cleveland Browns or the AFC North black and blue division. Number 2, since when was Brian Hoyer worth a hoot? I mean he has a 2 game resume (which includes beating the freaking Vikings). Why would anyone think the Texans would make that trade (saying Hoyer is their quarterback of the future?) I know the whole Bill O'Brien connection, but that's more smoke than fire.
I wanted everyone's opinion on Manziel, the Browns and Hoyer because I just can't see how anyone who is a smart football person would sit here and say "Browns don't need to necessarily draft a QB in the 1st round, as they have Hoyer)...c'mon man! And with that said, why on earth would the Texans want a guy with no resume? He's Matt Flynn...and hows that worked out?
I know most of you will be like "F this guy, hes a Ravens fan", but honestly, I would like to see the Browns competitive and relevant. I understand your sorrows as I am an Orioles fan and we deal with very similar issues and concerns.

Were we competitive and relevant when we wiped the floor with you in November?

Zombo

What part of the Baltimore area are you from? (I ask because my nephew lives in Baltimore)

I figured someone would bring that up eventually? I didn't intend for this to be about banter and back and forth argument...(cuz you'll never win) but I wanted serious discussion on the topic.

Neither team made the playoffs.....so they were each equally competitive and relevent.

I figured someone would bring that up eventually? I didn't intend for this to be about banter and back and forth argument...(cuz you'll never win) but I wanted serious discussion on the topic.

No ... I'm dead serious ... the last time our two football teams played we beat you.

We had Jason Cambell, you had Joe Flacco.

Obviously we have a better roster than Baltimore. The right quarterback will make us a contender immediately. Does that answer your question?

Zombo

No ... I'm dead serious ... the last time our two football teams played we beat you.

We had Jason Cambell, you had Joe Flacco.

Obviously we have a better roster than Baltimore. The right quarterback will make us a contender immediately. Does that answer your question?

Zombo

Ok, well clearly you're wearing the orange colored glasses. You beating us (1 out of 12) is that makes you sleep at night, great. But to say your roster is better than Baltimore? I mean c'mon now. Lets just talk smart here.

I think you guys are a quarterback away from being competitive, but a RB is necessary and other than Haden your secondary is very shady. I am ALMOST positive Ward leaves VIA free agency.

Ok, well clearly you're wearing the orange colored glasses. You beating us (1 out of 12) is that makes you sleep at night, great. But to say your roster is better than Baltimore? I mean c'mon now. Lets just talk smart here.

I think you guys are a quarterback away from being competitive, but a RB is necessary and other than Haden your secondary is very shady. I am ALMOST positive Ward leaves VIA free agency.

We are much younger and have 6 Pro Bowlers, so no, I would not trade rosters with Baltimore.

We need a QB to lead us. RBs can be found easily, but if you can't block for them (2013 Baltimore) it doesn't mean a thing.

Keeping Ward is as easy as franchising him.

Thirteen draft picks and tons of cash ... I think we can shore up that secondary and add a RB.

Really, it's Balimore and Pittsburgh that need to start worrying about contending in the AFC North.

If we nail the QB, we will be at the top with Cincy, it's as simple as that.

Ravens and Steelers have the high paid QBs and little else to be proud of going into 2014 but some long-in the-tooth veterans that were part of a really great roster ... 2,3 years ago.

Zombo

How many Pro-Bowlers did the Ravens have? Less than the Browns. Swap Jason Campbell for Joe Flacco and the Browns finish with a better record than the Ravens did. And Ward will be franchise tagged before leaving for free agency.

Hope you enjoy Flacco's talent-deterring contract.

I believe all the 'Browns want Manziel' talk is premature at best. No team, I don't care how incompetent, tells people who they're targeting. Even if the Browns do ultimately select Manziel it won't be a decision made in February before the combine and private workouts. Taking Jimmy H's word for it has proven to be a shaky proposition after he shit all over his "continuity" speech, but if they do plan on spending countless hours researching the QB position then I believe they will do whatever it takes to get the guy that they grade out the best.

As it stands now, my gut is telling me that the Browns won't choose two players in the first round this May. The Trent trade was a means to an end, namely acquiring the ammunition to draft their guy. I fully believe that after the dust has settled this FO will trade whatever it takes to get to where they want to be, be it Hoyer, draft picks or a combination of the two. And yes, this team is a QB away from a playoff berth.

i'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more rumors before may rolls around. i agree with you on one of your points. i believe manziel is not made up to be an AFCN caliber QB. that being said i was a mccoy fan (hated the pick, but given the alternative...............yeah). he was a weak armed version of russell wilson. now saying that, manziel does have a stronger arm BUT his reckless abandon would have guys like suggs salivating from his big assed lips.

the real question here is do we stay pat @4 and pick a QB or do we go defense? silly question? not really. you just said in another post that we are 'shady' in areas of our defense. now hiring a defensive minded HC and a guy in Farmer who might pull some weight in this draft, who played LB in the NFL i could see them keeping both picks in the first round. the real question is do we pick QB @4 or do we trade down a spot or 2 and land a defensive giant and get more picks that we can garner into a high #1 next year?

my concern is that even though we 'beat the vikings' hoyer hasn't proven himself one way or the other. but how do you know what you got in a guy until you field him and let him play? putting all our chips on the table for a twig or a fidget i don't get. i do believe bortles will be there @4, if not that means take the DE and change your scheme accordingly. pick up that vaunted CB or SS with the second first. then how does our defense look to you? if hoyer sucks, then play the season to find out who we have and suck it for hundley or marriotta next year just like the colts layed down for luck.

my concern is that even though we 'beat the vikings' hoyer hasn't proven himself one way or the other. but how do you know what you got in a guy until you field him and let him play? putting all our chips on the table for a twig or a fidget i don't get. i do believe bortles will be there @4, if not that means take the DE and change your scheme accordingly. pick up that vaunted CB or SS with the second first. then how does our defense look to you? if hoyer sucks, then play the season to find out who we have and suck it for hundley or marriotta next year just like the colts layed down for luck.

While I believe that the Browns will and should take a QB at four (or higher) this year, I'm not totally opposed to this route either. I've been waiting since '99 for a competent QB, what's one more year, right?

Awesome, great city. I live in the Canton/Fells Point area. Where is your nephew located?

Somewhere near John Hopkins.

Actually, my question was a test to determine whether or not you are a FRAK. You have passed, so welcome.

On the respective rosters, yes, I think a 22 man comparison will be in order at some point.

But, to quote Aragon: "This is not that day". Why? Because of impending Free Agency, because of the draft, because of a whole lot of things.

See these threads:

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26331&hl=%2Bposition+%2Brankings+%2Bafcn

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26038&hl=%2Bposition+%2Brankings+%2Bafcn

While I believe that the Browns will and should take a QB at four (or higher) this year, I'm not totally opposed to this route either. I've been waiting since '99 for a competent QB, what's one more year, right?

when you say it like that it DOES suck that we haven't seen or sniffed a guy that could get the job done.

until we fix the right side of the line and get a competent running game i don't believe any rookie or vet will take us to the playoffs.

i just like the idea of finishing off one side of the ball where all the coaches are confident with the players (let's say on D since we are closer there than on O) then concentrate on the other side of the ball. i'm not saying we pass on a WR or RB or T if they are there when we pick but i think we are seriously only a couple of guys away from finishing and moving up to be an elite defense. of course i don't want to see the FO do something stupid and reach for a guy way above his ranking either.

too bad krueger doesn't have the speed to cover, because that would make the clowney pick even more sensible. sheard and clowney and mingo. yikes!

too bad krueger doesn't have the speed to cover, because that would make the clowney pick even more sensible. sheard and clowney and mingo. yikes!

I'd certainly be disappointed if Clowney was there @ #4 and we passed on him. I don't think he will be though.

At #4 I think you take the biggest difference maker available. IMO right now that is Clowney/Watkins.

We already have a "competent" QB called Brian Hoyer. If we draft one at #4 he better be "very highly competent" ;)

when you say it like that it DOES suck that we haven't seen or sniffed a guy that could get the job done.

until we fix the right side of the line and get a competent running game i don't believe any rookie or vet will take us to the playoffs.

i just like the idea of finishing off one side of the ball where all the coaches are confident with the players (let's say on D since we are closer there than on O) then concentrate on the other side of the ball. i'm not saying we pass on a WR or RB or T if they are there when we pick but i think we are seriously only a couple of guys away from finishing and moving up to be an elite defense. of course i don't want to see the FO do something stupid and reach for a guy way above his ranking either.

I'm all for an elite defense, but if we find a QB who can extend drives the Browns D (even with zero personnel changes) will play much better than it did last year. I have a similar stance to the O-line issue, any O-line will look bad with Weeden holding the ball for 5 seconds before throwing it at the ILB's nutsack.

And you're 100% correct that we need upgrades on the O-line and in the running game, as well as in the defensive backfield and lb corps. Fortunately, all of these upgrades can be made in rounds 2-7 or free agency. When it comes to finding a franchise QB your options are early 1st round or getting lucky.

edit: normally there aren't a whole lot of franchise QBs on the FA Market, but if the Texans do let Schaub go, bring him to Cleveland!!! Schaub had a lot of success under Shanahan before, why not now, why not here?

I think you're head's in the right spot, as far as "finishing" off the defense, but no matter how many great players we have on defense they have no chance without an efficient offense. We do need to improve the running game somehow, but seriously the position we've been missing for 14 years now is QB. There are 3 potential starting QBs (maybe even 4) in this draft. How can we justify passing them all up?? I get the fact that you don't want to trade up, but we have to do something about that position... there really is no way around it...

There are 3 potential starting QBs (maybe even 4) in this draft. How can we justify passing them all up?? I get the fact that you don't want to trade up, but we have to do something about that position... there really is no way around it...

key word: potential. the only one i can see playing in the AFCN is bortles. then you've got your carrs and your fales. do we judge a QB because of the comp. they played? if so bridgewater shouldn't even be in the discussion. there's plenty of great QBs who've played shitty opponents. hell take weeden for example........................everyone was sooooo high on the ginger!

key word: potential. the only one i can see playing in the AFCN is bortles. then you've got your carrs and your fales. do we judge a QB because of the comp. they played? if so bridgewater shouldn't even be in the discussion. there's plenty of great QBs who've played shitty opponents. hell take weeden for example........................everyone was sooooo high on the ginger!

1. Bridgewater and Bortles play in the same conference

2.Watch the '13 Sugar Bowl between Lousiville and the Florida Gators. Bridgewater shit all over them, and that was when Florida was ranked 3rd in the nation due to their "world class sec defense". Louisville was ranked 21 at the time and NO ONE thought they'd win.

The fact of the matter is that Teddy's OC handed him the keys to Lousiville's pro-style offense and he did nothing but make good reads, go through progressions and get the ball out quickly. I don't care if he's a little skinny, he can run a pro style offense and he has the brain power to be successful.

I don't care if he's a little skinny, he can run a pro style offense and he has the brain power to be successful.

yeah that's where we differ. when i mentioned bortles, i meant he was big enough to withstand the pounding he'll probably get. bridgewater might be smart but when you got a lineman driving your shoulder 10 yds deep into the ground what are you going to out-genious the hit?

the competition reference was a joke (ref: my comment about weeden).

Archived