THE BROWNS BOARD

Trump proposes debate with Bernie, then cowers out?

jbluhm86

He didn't propose it. Sanders did. And I've said all along there's nothing in it for him to debate the guy who's not winning.

http://www.npr.org/2016/05/27/479772862/no-sanders-vs-trump-debate-sad

No Sanders Vs. Trump Debate? Sad!

The would-be Bernie Sanders vs. Donald Trump throwdown will only live on in the minds of comedy writers.

The presumptive GOP presidential nominee now says he won't debate the Democratic White House candidate — something Trump had initially seemed open to on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! earlier this week.

But on Friday, Trump released a statement saying he wouldn't be facing off with Sanders since he will probably lose the Democratic nomination to Hillary Clinton.

"Based on the fact that the Democratic nominating process is totally rigged and Crooked Hillary Clinton and Deborah Wasserman Schultz will not allow Bernie Sanders to win, and now that I am the presumptive Republican nominee, it seems inappropriate that I would debate the second-place finisher," Trump said.

On Wednesday, Trump responded to a question Sanders had sent via Kimmel on whether the Republican would debate him since Clinton wouldn't agree to another Democratic debate before the June 7 primaries in California and five other states.

"Are you prepared to debate the major issues facing our largest state and the country before the California primary? Yes or no?" Kimmel asked on Sanders' behalf

"Yes I am," Trump responded. "How much is he going to pay me?"

He said he would agree to the debate only if the money networks raised from it went to charity. On Thursday, he elaborated, saying that "if we can raise $10 million or $15 million for charity" that would go to "maybe women's health issues or something" he would be game.

Sanders also appeared on Kimmel Thursday night and sounded hopeful about the ability to debate a man who is his political polar opposite.

"You made it possible for us to have a very interesting debate about two guys who look at the world very, very differently," he told the late-night host.

On Friday afternoon, the Sanders campaign said it had received two offers from major broadcast networks to televise such a debate and that both included "a major contribution to charity."

"We are prepared to accept one of those offers and look forward to working with the Trump campaign to develop a time, place and format that is mutually agreeable," Sanders campaign manager Jeff Weaver said in a statement. "Given that the California primary is on June 7, it is imperative that this all comes together as soon as possible. We look forward to a substantive debate that will contrast the very different visions that Sen. Sanders and Mr. Trump have for the future of our country."

But about 30 minutes later, a statement from the Republican's campaign shot down that possibility, arguing that the networks wouldn't really give a significant amount to charity.

"Likewise, the networks want to make a killing on these events and are not proving to be too generous to charitable causes, in this case, women's health issues," Trump continued. "Therefore, as much as I want to debate Bernie Sanders — and it would be an easy payday — I will wait to debate the first-place finisher in the Democratic Party, probably Crooked Hillary Clinton, or whoever it may be."

Back in January, Trump refused to participate in a Fox News debate after previously clashing with moderator Megyn Kelly and instead held a counterprogram he said raised $6 million for veterans groups. But a Washington Post investigation found that much of that money still hadn't been allocated, and Trump only donated the $1 million of his own money he promised after the Post pressed him on his claim...

I don't think Donald Trump has anything to win here. Bernie Sanders on the other hand gets to look like a major player when in all reality he's not going to be there in July.

It would be fun to see a tag team jump on Hillary but don't see the point. Why not demand a debate with Elizabeth Warren or Mitt Romney?

But the important question here is this: how the fuck does Jimmy Kimmel have a job on Nationwide television?

:)

WSS

I don't think Donald Trump has anything to win here. Bernie Sanders on the other hand gets to look like a major player when in all reality he's not going to be there in July.

It would be fun to see a tag team jump on Hillary but don't see the point. Why not demand a debate with Elizabeth Warren or Mitt Romney?

But the important question here is this: how the fuck does Jimmy Kimmel have a job on Nationwide television?

:)

WSS

If Trump didn't wish to debate Sanders to begin with, then he should've stated so from the get go instead of talking like he was open to it. I think he didn't expect Sanders to be able to secure the financial backing and a debate platform from major news stations; the back tracking on Trump's part can only hurt him at this point. Trump has almost assuredly secured the Republican nomination by now, so it's high time he starts to flesh out his campaign platform with details instead of just attack points.

As for Kimmel, I have no idea, Steve. He was ok on "The Man Show" back in the early 2000s, but I have no clue how he managed to translate that into having his own nighttime talk show.

Note that it's because none of the networks met the $10M demand

Sorry Ed, you and I agree on most things on here, but I think we both know it wasn't just about the money:

Boxing promoter Bob Arum offers $20M for Trump-Sanders debate:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/27/bob-arum-offers-20-million-for-trump-sanders-debat/

Tech Company Calls Trump’s Bluff By Offering To Put Up $10 Million For Sanders Debate:

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/05/27/tech-company-calls-trumps-bluff-offering-put-10-million-sanders-debate.html

...and as for Trump backtracking because Bernie is in second place in the Democratic Party primaries:

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/05/26/trump-chickens-refuses-debate-sanders-bernie-pays-10-million.html

"Oh, I’d love to debate Bernie. He’s a dream. Well, I said, and I said last night on Jimmy’s show, it was a question that was posed, and I said I’d love to debate him, but I’d want a lot of money to be put up for charity, so what we’ll do is if we can raise maybe for women’s health issues or something if we can raise $10 or $15 million for charity, which would be a very appropriate amount. I understand the television business very well. It would get very high ratings. It should be in a big arena somewhere, and we could have a lot of fun with it. I’d love to debate Bernie. Actually, I mean the problem with debating Bernie is that he’s gonna’ lose.…

The biggest problem I have is if Bernie’s not going to win, but I’d debate him any way if they’d want to put up money for charity…It’s true, but they’d have to pay a lot of money for it, because look, I’m in first place. I won. I’d say something over $10 million"

There's nothing in it for him. There's no reason to do it and I knew all along it wouldn't happen

That may be so, but then my question would be: why did Trump endorse a debate with Bernie in the first place, and why did he then puss out of it when his monetary conditions were met?

There's nothing in it for him. There's no reason to do it and I knew all along it wouldn't happen

Theres nothin in it for him if he's concerned bernie might show him up. If he was confident though, omg he could work the debate so that him and bernie both kind of look good, snd spend the evening shitting on hillary

If Trump didn't wish to debate Sanders to begin with, then he should've stated so from the get go instead of talking like he was open to it. I think he didn't expect Sanders to be able to secure the financial backing and a debate platform from major news stations; the back tracking on Trump's part can only hurt him at this point. Trump has almost assuredly secured the Republican nomination by now, so it's high time he starts to flesh out his campaign platform with details instead of just attack points.

As for Kimmel, I have no idea, Steve. He was ok on "The Man Show" back in the early 2000s, but I have no clue how he managed to translate that into having his own nighttime talk show.

I think probably those on the left want it to happen because it makes Trump seem like a minor player, debating the JV team. But I don't think the left-wing media is going to hammer on the fact that whatever Network ran this kabuki dance would never consider pomying up 15 million bucks.

Hell Hillary Clinton won't even debate the fucker. ;)

Too bad it's not American League and Trump could use Newt Gingrich as the designated debater.

WSS

That may be so, but then my question would be: why did Trump endorse a debate with Bernie in the first place, and why did he then puss out of it when his monetary conditions were met?

Because the man speaks before he thinks quite regularly.

Theres nothin in it for him if he's concerned bernie might show him up. If he was confident though, omg he could work the debate so that him and bernie both kind of look good, snd spend the evening shitting on hillary

I don't think bernie has balls enough to go that route. He will try to score political points at trumps expense and trump doesn't need that. The only ones who will care are honestly bernie faithful and they're politically rather irrelevant. If they weren't bernie would be winning.

As opposed to Trump, who's currently not doing as he said...

And the intern thing is BS. $13 an hour is probably pretty good for those majors.

Those debate offers have a lot of terms and conditions.

Like having Hillary Clinton and mitt Romney moderate the debate, pay per view, having some company with no experience with debates run the whole thing.

A MSM network has to pony up the cash then I'd call him cowering out.

Anyway, I just donated more money to Bernie's campaign:

OBaOyq.jpg

Those debate offers have a lot of terms and conditions.

Like having Hillary Clinton and mitt Romney moderate the debate, pay per view, having some company with no experience with debates run the whole thing.

A MSM network has to pony up the cash then I'd call him cowering out.

If Trump bitched out because of debate terms and conditions, then he is a hypocrite, because all of the Presidential debates that he's participated in so far have been ran by the private company Commission on Presidential Debates , which has many terms and conditions of their own, such as:

• elaborate contracts (the 2004 one was 32 pages long, including such democratic things as "no candidate-to-candidate questions, no rebuttal to...opponent's points, no cross questions or cross answers, no rebuttals, no follow-up questions, etc..."
  • Being funded by both the Democratic and Republican parties, effectively locking out 3rd party candidates from the debate
  • selects "soft" audience members who will not ask uncomfortable questions
  • controls the topics to be debated, steering away from the more controversial ones.

Also, i'd like to see the sources which stated that Hillary and Mitt Romney were going to be the moderators for the debate before i'd be willing to hitch my horse to that post...that sounds a bit too "Blaze-ish" to me.

And as for being a large TV or PPV event, that didn't seem to bother Trump when he initially proposed the event:

...I understand the television business very well. It would get very high ratings. It should be in a big arena somewhere, and we could have a lot of fun with it. I’d love to debate Bernie. Actually, I mean the problem with debating Bernie is that he’s gonna’ lose.…
The biggest problem I have is if Bernie’s not going to win, but I’d debate him any way if they’d want to put up money for charity…It’s true, but they’d have to pay a lot of money for it, because look, I’m in first place. I won. I’d say something over $10 million"
And, lets be honest: it's beginning to get late in the day for this election cycle, so all candidates need to bring actual substance and concrete ideas to their debates, which none have yet to do. Especially Trump. It's high time to have an honest debate about these topics that isn't just one big shit-talking show.

If Trump bitched out because of debate terms and conditions, then he is a hypocrite, because all of the Presidential debates that he's participated in so far have been ran by the private company Commission on Presidential Debates , which has many terms and conditions of their own, such as:

• elaborate contracts (the 2004 one was 32 pages long, including such democratic things as "no candidate-to-candidate questions, no rebuttal to...opponent's points, no cross questions or cross answers, no rebuttals, no follow-up questions, etc..."
  • Being funded by both the Democratic and Republican parties, effectively locking out 3rd party candidates from the debate
  • selects "soft" audience members who will not ask uncomfortable questions
  • controls the topics to be debated, steering away from the more controversial ones.
Also, i'd like to see the sources which stated that Hillary and Mitt Romney were going to be the moderators for the debate before i'd be willing to hitch my horse to that post...that sounds a bit too "Blaze-ish" to me.

And as for being a large TV or PPV event, that didn't seem to bother Trump when he initially proposed the event:

...I understand the television business very well. It would get very high ratings. It should be in a big arena somewhere, and we could have a lot of fun with it. Id love to debate Bernie. Actually, I mean the problem with debating Bernie is that hes gonna lose.

The biggest problem I have is if Bernies not going to win, but Id debate him any way if theyd want to put up money for charityIts true, but theyd have to pay a lot of money for it, because look, Im in first place. I won. Id say something over $10 million"

And, lets be honest: it's beginning to get late in the day for this election cycle, so all candidates need to bring actual substance and concrete ideas to their debates, which none have yet to do. Especially Trump. It's high time to have an honest debate about these topics that isn't just one big shit-talking show.

Yea but Hillary Clinton moderate the debate of being on pay per view, sounds Retarded

Archived