THE BROWNS BOARD

Brian Hoyer

StocktonShorts

Brain Hoyer was undrafted and cut by 3 different teams. I don't know how many great NFL QBs have taken that path before they turned on the greatness, but I know it's not many.

You can find me a similar story, or another long shot but the doesn't change anything. It's called data. Data can show you probabilities and can even rule some things out of being considered a reasonable expectation. Saying "Well this guy was drafted here and he became this" is relying on individual antidotal evidence and saying it nullifies the populous data. It does not. It's an outlier. Outliers can not be reasonably expected.

For instance a Running Back is going to run a better 40 time than a Lineman. Data proves this. Now there has been a lineman that has run a better 40 time than a running back before, but you can not have a reasonable expectation of that outcome. It's highly unlikely.

On a grander scale look at airplane travel. Data shows the safest form of commercial travel is by airplane. Planes do crash but they're so rare that you can not reasonably expect any plane you're on to crash. You could fly everyday multiple times and never die in a plane crash. Though they do happen, that doesn't change the rule the data has set.

If you jump out of a plane without a parachute, you will die. Data supports this. Now you can google and find people who have LIVED falling from planes. That doesn't change the rule. If you jump out of a airplane without a parachute, you will die. No reasonable expectation otherwise.

Brian Hoyer is a undrafted QB that has been cut 3 times. There's a reason for that. He's not going to be a great QB. You can say others have, but you have no reasonable expectation that he will. The data on that situation is overwhelming. Now of course you will all say something about Manziel I'm sure and you're right, first round draft picks don't always pan out. However the data will show there is a reasonable expectation that a first round draft pick will work out.

If you had to bet your life on Brian Hoyer making the Hall of Fame would you?

Now once again because you always have to respond with Manziel, I'll tell you right now I wouldn't bet my life on Manziel making the Hall of Fame.

HOWEVER if I had to take either Hoyer or Manziel and for my life I had to bet which one would make the Hall of Fame, I'd bet Manziel EVERYTIME all the time and so would you. Why? Because of the data. One was evaluated and undrafted and then evaluated by 3 other teams and cut from their team. The other won an award as the best college player, then was evaluated by NFL teams and chosen in the first round. The odds are much higher there.

If you think Hoyer is going to be a great QB, then you're fighting data. You're standing at the open door of a plane telling me you could survive jumping without a parachute. I'm telling you that you can't, but you're saying that you saw on the news that someone else did it.

The result is inevitable. History will not be kind to choosing against the data.

That's the last you'll see me speak about Brian Hoyer. Have at it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brain Hoyer was undrafted and cut by 3 different teams. I don't know how many great NFL QBs have taken that path before they turned on the greatness, but I know it's not many.

You can find me a similar story, or another long shot but the doesn't change anything. It's called data. Data can show you probabilities and can even rule some things out of being considered a reasonable expectation. Saying "Well this guy was drafted here and he became this" is relying on individual antidotal evidence and saying it nullifies the populous data. It does not. It's an outlier. Outliers can not be reasonably expected.

For instance a Running Back is going to run a better 40 time than a Lineman. Data proves this. Now there has been a lineman that has run a better 40 time than a running back before, but you can not have a reasonable expectation of that outcome. It's highly unlikely.

On a grander scale look at airplane travel. Data shows the safest form of commercial travel is by airplane. Planes do crash but they're so rare that you can not reasonably expect any plane you're on to crash. You could fly everyday multiple times and never die in a plane crash. Though they do happen, that doesn't change the rule the data has set.

If you jump out of a plane without a parachute, you will die. Data supports this. Now you can google and find people who have LIVED falling from planes. That doesn't change the rule. If you jump out of a airplane without a parachute, you will die. No reasonable expectation otherwise.

Brian Hoyer is a undrafted QB that has been cut 3 times. There's a reason for that. He's not going to be a great QB. You can say others have, but you have no reasonable expectation that he will. The data on that situation is overwhelming. Now of course you will all say something about Manziel I'm sure and you're right, first round draft picks don't always pan out. However the data will show there is a reasonable expectation that a first round draft pick will work out.

If you had to bet your life on Brian Hoyer making the Hall of Fame would you?

Now once again because you always have to respond with Manziel, I'll tell you right now I wouldn't bet my life on Manziel making the Hall of Fame.

HOWEVER if I had to take either Hoyer or Manziel and for my life I had to bet which one would make the Hall of Fame, I'd bet Manziel EVERYTIME all the time and so would you. Why? Because of the data. One was evaluated and undrafted and then evaluated by 3 other teams and cut from their team. The other won an award as the best college player, then was evaluated by NFL teams and chosen in the first round. The odds are much higher there.

If you think Hoyer is going to be a great QB, then you're fighting data. You're standing at the open door of a plane telling me you could survive jumping without a parachute. I'm telling you that you can't, but you're saying that you saw on the news that someone else did it.

The result is inevitable. History will not be kind to choosing against the data.

I dont think Hoyer has to be great. He just has to win. He proved that he could last season. Manage the offense and protect the ball. With the defense the Browns have thats really all he has to do. Although i would love to see Manziel start the season i do know that Hoyer needs another chance to build on what he did last season. Do i think he is the real thing? I dont know. He is a little inconsistent but so would a rookie QB. I thought the best throw of the game was the pass Hoyer threw to Austin that was dropped. That was a perfect throw. I kindof feel sorry for all these quarterbacks with the shit they have to throw to.

Um, he proved what?

He started 3 games, and only threw 4 passes in one of those three games. Lets not act like he put together a 10 game winning streak or something.

There is nothing wrong with an open competition. Everyone has to earn their spot... but the people who have been watching Manziel since he was in highschool know how this is going to end.

Kurt Warner. Undrafted signed by Green Bay cut and ended up in St. Louis after a long stint in arena league and NFL Europe. Pro bowl Super Bowl champion.

Tony romo. Undrafted pro bowl. If Dallas would ever get a defense he may actually win a playoff game.

Point is sun shines on a dogs but once in a while and if Hoyer outplays manziel he deserves it.

Data? Since when do we evaluate players on data, or past players? Players get better, skills are honed, its happened plenty before where career backups start and become servicable starters for a couple years. How many rookie QBs have taken their team to the playoffs? Hoyer definitely has the data on his side in that regard. Obviously Hoyer has looked better than Manziel so far, so for as bad as your data says Hoyer is, whats that say about Manziel? I dont think Pettine has him above Manziel for the attention.

Um, he proved what?

He started 3 games, and only threw 4 passes in one of those three games. Lets not act like he put together a 10 game winning streak or something.

There is nothing wrong with an open competition. Everyone has to earn their spot... but the people who have been watching Manziel since he was in highschool know how this is going to end.

And guys who have been following the Browns for 50+ years know how it's going to work out short term.

Yeah I watched Manzeil's A&M highlights tossing it up to Evans being triple covered, and Mike bailing his ass out. Hate to tell you that shit doesn't work in the NFL.

Yeah I watched Manzeil's A&M highlights tossing it up to Evans being triple covered, and Mike bailing his ass out. Hate to tell you that shit doesn't work in the NFL.

I also watched him put several passes right on the money that got him the Heisman and made him shatter every SEC record on the planet.

His shot to Evans against Bama to put them down by a TD and his laser to Swope vs. Bama in 12' were case and point examples.

Don't Cherry pick

Is it data or is it history?

History says a QB under 6 feet will win a superbowl every few decades, since Wilson just won one with the Seahawks it's going to be a long wait for Manziel.

History says a QB drafted by Cleveland is going to suck.

History says a QB drafted at the number 22 spot in the first round is going to crash and burn.

Need i go on?

Kurt Warner. Undrafted signed by Green Bay cut and ended up in St. Louis after a long stint in arena league and NFL Europe. Pro bowl Super Bowl champion.

Tony romo. Undrafted pro bowl. If Dallas would ever get a defense he may actually win a playoff game.

Point is sun shines on a dogs but once in a while and if Hoyer outplays manziel he deserves it.

Yeah, but Romo and Warner never went up against Manziel. And I'm not kidding when I say he'd beat out both of them in a fair competition, just like h's beating out Hoyer right now by every objective measure.

Don't know about all that. I do know a running QB has never won the Super Bowl. Stauback and Young were not running quarterbacks by the time they won the Super Bowl. Hoyer gives the Browns the best chance to win right now.

except he's not a better passer than Manziel is right now.

And guys who have been following the Browns for 50+ years know how it's going to work out short term.

If you think that's Manziel's game then watch an actual game, because that couldn't be further from the truth. If anybody throws it up, it's Hoyer to Gordon. Manziel is twice the passer Hoyer is right now and the stats back that up. He consistently has a higher completion percentage than Hoyer.

Yeah, but Romo and Warner never went up against Manziel. And I'm not kidding when I say he'd beat out both of them in a fair competition, just like h's beating out Hoyer right now by every objective measure.

except he's not a better passer than Manziel is right now.

If you think that's Manziel's game then watch an actual game, because that couldn't be further from the truth. If anybody throws it up, it's Hoyer to Gordon. Manziel is twice the passer Hoyer is right now and the stats back that up. He consistently has a higher completion percentage than Hoyer.

read this back to yourself in a mirror and then ask yourself: "why do people on the browns board call me a johnny football fag?"

btw. gumboner76, funniest username ever.

Worked for flacco and boldin. With the new NFL its all away getting as many PI calls when chucking it down the field. Just need a guy who can jump ball it.

I also watched him put several passes right on the money that got him the Heisman and made him shatter every SEC record on the planet.

His shot to Evans against Bama to put them down by a TD and his laser to Swope vs. Bama in 12' were case and point examples.

Don't Cherry pick

Tell em WW. Hide and watch Cleveland peeps.

Since your OP was nothing but a rehash of things you have said many times before....perhaps we should advocate that the admins put you on a timeout if you break your promise?

Are you willing to accept that harsh judgment if you break your word?

Since your OP was nothing but a rehash of things you have said many times before....perhaps we should advocate that the admins put you on a timeout if you break your promise?

Are you willing to accept that harsh judgment if you break your word?

Please make it so

Is it data or is it history?

History says a QB under 6 feet will win a superbowl every few decades, since Wilson just won one with the Seahawks it's going to be a long wait for Manziel.

Need i go on?

That other little Texas Hill country Austinite QB Drew Brees says hello. So FYI 2 under 6 feet 2010 and 2014.

That other little Texas Hill country Austinite QB Drew Brees says hello. So FYI 2 under 6 feet 2010 and 2014.

I am not sure you consider these towns in Texas Hill Country, but they are close. If JFF could come close to being what:

Sammy Baugh of Temple TX or

Bobby Layne of Santa Anna TX

were, then he would be alright. JFFs style....including his off field style seems like it could be a lot like Layne's....who apparently was a bit of a hell raiser.....and he was a scrambler as a QB.

He may be more JFFs prototype.

What area do you define as "Texas Hill Country"?

Archived