THE BROWNS BOARD

Why is this taking so longggggggggggg?!

ahitz3

You guys overthink things. The guy that gives us the best chance of beating the Steelers will start the first game.

I know it is hard to think that way, but Jimmy gave control to Farmer and Pettine, two old-school, tough-nosed guys, for a reason ... no more politics, no more bullshit ...

Win me a football game.

Zombo

YEP!

Mike

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. Hadn't thought of this.

From ESPN INSIDER

Will courts save Gordon's '14 campaign?

By Tom Carpenter | August 15, 2014 9:01:36 AM PDT

A verdict on Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon's appeal may not be handed down until the end of next week, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The never-ending delay is getting frustrating for fantasy owners in dynasty leagues, because keeper deadlines are rapidly approaching, if they haven't already passed. But is there a good chance Gordon will play the entire 2014 campaign, even if he loses his appeal and is unable to work out some sort of compromise with the NFL?

Attorney Cedric Hopkins, who writes for FieldAndCourt.com, believes that if Gordon loses his appeal (Hopkins actually thinks Gordon will win), his camp will turn to the legal system to get him back on the field (H/T Meadowlands Media Group's Michael Salfino). Hopkins suggests several angles (including leaning on Ohio drug-testing laws to overturn the ruling), but a temporary restraining order may be the simplest.

"Gordons request for a temporary restraining order (or, TRO) will ask the Ohio judge to stop (or restrain) the NFL from enforcing his suspension," Hopkins notes. "If you recall, the TRO in the StarCaps case (that was later turned into an injunction, which is basically the same thing) allowed ... Kevin and Pat Williams to play for two complete seasons. They played the 2009 and 2010 seasons while their case was pending in the court system."

"Because Gordon has such a solid case against the NFL based on the Ohio drug-testing laws, I believe his TRO will be granted and he will play in the 2014 season," he added. "This is all assuming he loses his appeal, which he shouldnt."

Of course, any time something like this goes to the courts, anything could happen. Nonetheless, it's an interesting take that suggest there may be hope for dynasty fantasy owners -- oh, and the Browns -- when it comes to Gordon playing the 2014 campaign.

Interesting. Hadn't thought of this.

From ESPN INSIDER

Will courts save Gordon's '14 campaign?

By Tom Carpenter | August 15, 2014 9:01:36 AM PDT

A verdict on Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon's appeal may not be handed down until the end of next week, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The never-ending delay is getting frustrating for fantasy owners in dynasty leagues, because keeper deadlines are rapidly approaching, if they haven't already passed. But is there a good chance Gordon will play the entire 2014 campaign, even if he loses his appeal and is unable to work out some sort of compromise with the NFL?

Attorney Cedric Hopkins, who writes for FieldAndCourt.com, believes that if Gordon loses his appeal (Hopkins actually thinks Gordon will win), his camp will turn to the legal system to get him back on the field (H/T Meadowlands Media Group's Michael Salfino). Hopkins suggests several angles (including leaning on Ohio drug-testing laws to overturn the ruling), but a temporary restraining order may be the simplest.

"Gordons request for a temporary restraining order (or, TRO) will ask the Ohio judge to stop (or restrain) the NFL from enforcing his suspension," Hopkins notes. "If you recall, the TRO in the StarCaps case (that was later turned into an injunction, which is basically the same thing) allowed ... Kevin and Pat Williams to play for two complete seasons. They played the 2009 and 2010 seasons while their case was pending in the court system."

"Because Gordon has such a solid case against the NFL based on the Ohio drug-testing laws, I believe his TRO will be granted and he will play in the 2014 season," he added. "This is all assuming he loses his appeal, which he shouldnt."

Of course, any time something like this goes to the courts, anything could happen. Nonetheless, it's an interesting take that suggest there may be hope for dynasty fantasy owners -- oh, and the Browns -- when it comes to Gordon playing the 2014 campaign.

This angle has been brought up before- not that it doesn't bear repeating, for those who may have missed it.

The NFL knows- even if they win, they lose. The whole issue of recreational drugs- especially pot- is now on the table. Bet that the NFLPA put it on the table- the bargaining agreement can be amended- if Tsar Rodger will go along with it. How can you suspend a guy for using, if it's legal in two NFL cities- Denver and Seattle?

especially pot- is now on the table. Bet that the NFLPA put it on the table- the bargaining agreement can be amended- if Tsar Rodger will go along with it. How can you suspend a guy for using, if it's legal in two NFL cities- Denver and Seattle?

and on the tip of the tongues of some of the more intelligent and brash mouthpieces in the national media mainstream.

i think dan lebetard is one of the more 'say it like it is' type broadcast journalists on tv today and after the announcement of bowe's suspension yesterday said "we'll all look back in 10 years and look at how we as a nation and a sports nation treated these ticky tack marijuana offenses and say, what were we thinking?'

no matter what your stance on marijuana, it's ridiculous to think that a society that permits the usage of alcohol and prescribed opiates would ban marijuana like it's some taboo baby from a one night stand 20 years ago. if regulated correctly i don't see any problem with it. hell it might even generate revenue in some states that desperately need it.

ya think?

How can you suspend a guy for using, if it's legal in two NFL cities- Denver and Seattle?

Because it's still illegal at the Fed level...

It's going to take Congressional action to clear the road. Anyone holding their breath?

i doubt if it will ever be 'legal' in the NFL as well. but you can't put it on the same level as PEDs or assault.

i don't know how the league would regulate it. i mean guys can go out now and drink on their off time. marijuana is a much less lethal drug (?) than alcohol. you don't see guys making terrible decisions like they do when drunk.

imagine the wild wild west and replace weed with the alcohol consumed. bar fights ending in gunplay? doubt it.

This angle has been brought up before- not that it doesn't bear repeating, for those who may have missed it.

The NFL knows- even if they win, they lose. The whole issue of recreational drugs- especially pot- is now on the table. Bet that the NFLPA put it on the table- the bargaining agreement can be amended- if Tsar Rodger will go along with it. How can you suspend a guy for using, if it's legal in two NFL cities- Denver and Seattle?

The legality of it in two states is irrelevant. It could be legal in all 50 states but it is against the rules agreed on by the players union and the NFL in collective bargaining. If it was agreed on that players would be suspended for eating strawberries then they could be suspended for that. Its all about following the rules.

i doubt if it will ever be 'legal' in the NFL as well. but you can't put it on the same level as PEDs or assault.

i don't know how the league would regulate it. i mean guys can go out now and drink on their off time. marijuana is a much less lethal drug (?) than alcohol. you don't see guys making terrible decisions like they do when drunk.

imagine the wild wild west and replace weed with the alcohol consumed. bar fights ending in gunplay? doubt it.

The giggling stoner slapfight at the o.k. corral would have made for a pretty funny movie

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=921855-browns-josh-gordon-appeal-case-had-no-settlement-talks

Cleveland Browns WR Josh Gordon's appeal hearing for his one-year suspension had no settlement talks. There has yet to be a ruling on the matter, but it appears to be an all-or-nothing case.

Fantasy Tip: An announcement could come any day as the hearing was 15 days ago.

Honestly at this point I'm genuinely confused on what could be taking so long. This has so many implications on our season if the guy plays, and it's complete bullshit that the league is dangling this for so long.

They will probably wait right up until the Friday before the first game and suspend him.

They will probably wait right up until the Friday before the first game and suspend him.

Yep....Im with you on the Friday part.....NFL likes making announcements on Friday and tomorrow would be 3 weeks from the day the hearing started(which is what they told us it would take).....so, Im thinking a good probability it will be tomorrow afternoon.....

All I know isthat if the suspension is a year after all the foot dragging, 2 things need to happen (IMHO):

1-The Browns should sue the NFL

2- The owners should get off dead center & FIRE Goodell. Don't they employ him? The man is making a mockery of Pro Football.

Mike

Time to stop twisting the kid in the wind...

"(Gordon), like all of us wants to know and wants to get on with it and move forward," Pettine said. "Just kind of being in limbo for so long it can be draining. He made the comment the other day, 'The football field is where he feels most at home.'"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/browns/2014/08/21/josh-gordon-cleveland-in-limbo-as-nfls-punishment-process-drags/14414265/

Im thinking it hits today and, sadly, wont be good news for us....

BUT, the good news is that, in just a few hours, we wont be talking quarterbacks anymore, we'll be talking receivers.....

And In the famous words of LeBron,,,.."Just be ready".....

All joking aside would Josh Gordon or the Browns have some sort of legal recourse against the appeal taking so long? I'm not one to just throw sue everywhere but this ridiculous delay has impacted a lot on this team IMO.

Edit: A lot of people on Twitter are saying don't expect news today, from fairly reputable news outlets

Unless you heard thats the case, there are still 4 more hours till 5 pm pacific time......Im still guessing it will come close to then......4:59.......today......(fingers crossed)

too bad their offices are in NYC.

there goes the fantasy draft. phhht.

All joking aside would Josh Gordon or the Browns have some sort of legal recourse against the appeal taking so long? I'm not one to just throw sue everywhere but this ridiculous delay has impacted a lot on this team IMO.

Edit: A lot of people on Twitter are saying don't expect news today, from fairly reputable news outlets

I dont know....But, I guarantee the NFL would say JG brought the delay on himself by appealing....if he hadn't appealed, he'd already be 1/2 way through his suspension right now...yada yada yada....

Im also sure there is very clear language in the CBA that they have carefully followed....to the letter(the extreme letter maybe)....protecting themselves from any kind of recourse, while letting JG twist in the wind a bit....(and the Browns too.....maybe the league wishes we cut chase on him)

Now, should the Browns sue the league they've been in forever???... and damage their relationships with the league office???....and creating an easy BIGGER distraction...... all over a WR who has has a million problems???...really???

Maybe the Browns shouldn't be mad at the league .....maybe they should they be mad at Josh.....hmmmm....dilema

Archived