THE BROWNS BOARD

Starting to think we should of drafted Watkins

WalterWhite

The more I think about it, there isn't a Super Star receiver in next years draft. There will be some decent Free Agent's but not much in the draft. I love Gilbert but with Gordon's status, I really do think we abandoned the wide receiver position. Miles Austin and Nate Burleson are stop gap players and Hawkins is a slot guy. Without Gordon, we have no #1 or #2. Hoyer and Manziel will be really handcuffed without him.

I just think we should of stayed put at 4 and just taken Watkins.

http://www.si.com/sports/nfl/2014/08/10/buffalo-bills-sammy-watkins-one-handed-catch

3 Years from now Gilbert will join Haden as one of the league's top-10 corners.

The Browns' defense will be a nasty top-5 squad.

A drug-free Gordon will be paired with a solid #2 WR, along with Baby Hawk and Pro-Bowler Jordan Cameron.

The running game will be one of the league's most consistent ground attacks.

Brian Hoyer will be the premiere game manager and lead the Browns to an AFC Championship.

Cleveland will own the AFC North.

A drug-free Gordon will be paired with a solid #2 WR, along with Baby Hawk and Pro-Bowler Jordan Cameron.

Brian Hoyer will be the premiere game manager and lead the Browns to an AFC Championship.

Please pray for this scenario, I really really hope so.

You're never just a WR away from winning, I wanted Watkins at first but went full circle.

We got a great trade out of Buffalo.

If Gilbert is as good as advertised and our pick next year, then yes.

If Watkins goes on to have a hall of fame career, then no we didn't.

Time will tell.

Time will tell.

The trade was good. The use of the picks is the questionable part.

The trade was good. The use of the picks is the questionable part.

The reason I don't know if the trade was good is because Gordon was going to be paramount in determining our QB situation and we all know Hoyer needed him. As well as Manziel, if they knew that Gordon was going to miss sometime they had NOTHING on the roster. I like Gilbert, don't get me wrong, great player but I think Watkins was a much bigger need and a talent that is ready from day 1

I don't know, I think CB was as big a need, judging by everything we've learned about Pettine's defense. It's predicated on having two lockdown corners that allow the rest of the defense to go and play. In fact, I seem to remember a quote from him or Farmer talking about the biggest need on the team after QB, and the answer was CB.

I guess they thought it was easier to have a smothering D, plus a solid run game, and grind out some victories, than have a better O, and have to completely adjust the D-scheme.

Watkins is going to be great, but so is Gilbert IMO. Maybe he takes half a season to settle in - fine, we've got our lockdown corners for 5 years, and that position is much more important to our scheme than WR.

Watkins is going to be great, but so is Gilbert IMO. Maybe he takes half a season to settle in - fine, we've got our lockdown corners for 5 years, and that position is much more important to our scheme than WR.

True, it really just depends what happens with Gordon.

I know an elite receiver doesn't always carry a team to the Super Bowl, but it'd be nice.

True, it really just depends what happens with Gordon.

I know an elite receiver doesn't always carry a team to the Super Bowl, but it'd be nice.

If any receiver ever would, it'd be Megatron, but even with him the Lions have been pretty poor. Even with Stafford, their No1 overall pick. Even with Gordon last year, and his record breaking season, we weren't much because we couldn't run and didn't have a D. But on the other hand, a strong D and good run game got the hawks and 49ers a long way. All of our picks this year, outside of Mnaziel were about getting a solid D and a good run game - Gilbert, Kirksey, Desir on D, Bitonio & West on O.

I was as big a Watkins backer as anyone here. I think he is an exceptional prospect.

I also did not expect Khalil Mack to fall to us, and was hoping to hear his name.

That said, it took me about 1 second to like the trade with Buffalo.

Josh may lose some time this year, but I am 70-negative-test encouraged that he has a long-term future with us.

Time will tell.

If Gilbert has a hall of fame career and so does Watkins, we'll have won the trade.

If Gilbert is even a top 10 corner for the duration of his career and Watkins has a hall of fame career, we'll still have won the trade.

Anything less than that and we'll have lost the trade.

the biggest dent in watkin's young career is going to be his QB.

Unlike if he was with us? ;)

EJ actually looked decent in the Bills 2nd Preseason game against what should be a good Panthers' D.

But even if he develops, the Bills are definitely looking to feature the run game again and that will hurt Sammie's numbers.

i didn't see or hear much about the second game, but to hear watkins and EJ didn't hook up for ONE pass/catch must have been concerning for bill's nation i'm sure.

i still don't see in any stats from the first 2 games that watkins has made a catch yet in a game. sure there are posts on the internet of him making spectacular catches in practice.

but we talking about 'practice'.

3 Years from now Gilbert will join Haden as one of the league's top-10 corners.The Browns' defense will be a nasty top-5 squad.A drug-free Gordon will be paired with a solid #2 WR, along with Baby Hawk and Pro-Bowler Jordan Cameron.The running game will be one of the league's most consistent ground attacks.Brian Hoyer will be the premiere game manager and lead the Browns to an AFC Championship.Cleveland will own the AFC North.

I want what your smoking!

We won't be able to keep everybody, especially if Manziel pans out, he's gonna want his money...

I see Cameron gone within 3 years

Our priorities are going to be Manziel (if he becomes the franchise qb) and Gordon. We already paid up for Haden long term.

My gut feeling is that Cameron will be gone, back to Cali

Rookie WRs rarely do much to help their teams. And truly, WR's, just like RB's, aren't worth an early 1st round pick. They don't impact their teams as much as people think. It's nice to have a good one, but it's all about having a consistent QB who spreads the ball around, an O-Line who can run block, and a D-line that can stuff the run and turn the other team one dimensional, and a pass-rush-coverage combo that stops teams on 3rd down. Of those 4 things, a "stud WR" is not really necessary and hasn't gotten anybody a Super Bowl in the recent past...

Trivia - Of the last 10 SB champs, how many started a WR who THEY drafted in the top 25?

FYI - Plaxico for the Giants, and Harvin for the Seahawks don't count b/c they were traded/released by the team who drafted them...

Not sure I agree about WR as early 1's, but in any case there are exceptions to every rule... I just happen to think Sammie is one of those exceptions.

i didn't see or hear much about the second game, but to hear watkins and EJ didn't hook up for ONE pass/catch must have been concerning for bill's nation i'm sure.

i still don't see in any stats from the first 2 games that watkins has made a catch yet in a game. sure there are posts on the internet of him making spectacular catches in practice.

Sammie caught 3 for 21 in game 2. I know at least one was from E.J. and want to say that all three were, but just remember one.

Had to post this lil tidbit...

Sure... was only one-on-one, but still...

Lew toller, probably won't even make the team. Sick route either way and he would have smoked 98% of the corners in the league with that route.

Archived