25 replies to this topic

#1 The Gipper

The Gipper

Number Hangs in the Rafters

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,263 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Ohio's NHL hockey team, the Columbus Blue Jackets have won 16 in a row...which is one shy of the all time longest NHL winning streak ever.  They have the best record in the NHL.

Do we care? 

https://www.nhl.com/...cap/c-285305500

#2 hoorta

hoorta

Member since Dec 1, 2003

• REGISTERED
  • 12,888 posts
  • Interests:Football, cycling, mountaineering

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

Ohio's NHL hockey team, the Columbus Blue Jackets have won 16 in a row...which is one shy of the all time longest NHL winning streak ever.  They have the best record in the NHL.

Do we care? 

https://www.nhl.com/...cap/c-285305500

Being a hockey fan probably, not happy that Gordon Gund screwed Cleveland out of a NHL team. I've been a Red Wings fan since the days of Gordie Howe.

#3 medicineman

medicineman

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:40 PM

Red Wings are my fav team but Columbus is my second. I try to hit a hand full of Blue Jackets games per year and been watching them longer than this streak.They did the right thing by getting rid of the super stars they had like Nash and built a decent team thru the draft. They have a well balanced team with no really super stars.

#4 choco

choco

MVP

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

Hockey replaced football for me...More action, excitement, and the players ain't prima Dona pussies.

#5 TexasAg1969

TexasAg1969

Legends Club

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,768 posts
  • Interests:Racquetball, football, reading, traveling and never-ending yard work.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

Hockey? I thought that's what you did at pawn shops. :P

#6 Bob806

Bob806

All Pro

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  • Interests:All Cleveland sports teams, Ohio State sports, bowling, golf, & camping.

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

I don't really care, I root for Montreal, Calgary, & Vancouver. But since the record streak is held by a Pittsburgh team, I hope they beat it.

#7 bbedward

bbedward

Legends Club

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:23 PM

Not really a hockey fan but good for them

#8 ballpeen

ballpeen

Member since Mar 5, 2007

• REGISTERED
  • 10,569 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

People need to care.    Hockey is a great game. 

Think about it, to paly anoy of the other big 4 sports, you just have to go out and shoot or throw to get better.  To play hockey you first need to learn to skate to a high level.  It's hard to learn how to slap or stop the puck if you can't move on skates.

I played a a youth....youth hockey and HS hockey.  My first coach made me a defenseman because I could skate backwards and could change directions quickly.  I wanted to be a Goalie, but he said I was too valuable to not play just in front of the goalie, so it stuck.

#9 ballpeen

ballpeen

Member since Mar 5, 2007

• REGISTERED
  • 10,569 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

Oh.....go Preds.  I made the 130 mile drive up to "Smashville" 2-3 times a year to catch a match.

#10 wargograw

wargograw

MVP

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Interests:Browns, Ags, and good barbecue.

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:31 AM

All three Cleveland teams are "my" team in their sports but for hockey I'm all Dallas.

#11 Zombo

Zombo

Member since Sept 12, 2003

• ADMINISTRATORS
  • 21,665 posts
  • Interests:The Cleveland Browns

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

Cleveland is my adopted home city, but Columbus means nothing to me. I root for the Florida Everblades, Cleveland Monsters, Buffalo Sabres ... And I pay attention to the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning because they are on the tube down here.

Z

#12 The Gipper

The Gipper

• REGISTERED
  • 37,263 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

I suppose if there is any hockey team that I would care about it would be the Columbus team. I mean, I root for Ohio State teams and they are in Columbus. And I do like their logo

So, here is what I think I would do:   root for Columbus...or any Canadian team....except perhaps Montreal.

#13 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Interests:SPORTS, good restaurants or cooking out, premium cigars among others

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

They have hockey in Columbus?

#14 FairHooker11

FairHooker11

All Pro

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • Interests:Browns, Tribe, Wild-NHL

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

The Blue Jackets beat the Wild last saturday who had a 12 game win streak going as well....

dont put too much stock in streaks  this early, being hot counts down the stretch in March / April

surprised the following isnt greater in Ohio?  Everything Pitssburgh sux right?  play off matchups with them 

would be fun. 

#15 hoorta

hoorta

Member since Dec 1, 2003

• REGISTERED
  • 12,888 posts
  • Interests:Football, cycling, mountaineering

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

People need to care.    Hockey is a great game. 

Think about it, to paly anoy of the other big 4 sports, you just have to go out and shoot or throw to get better.  To play hockey you first need to learn to skate to a high level.  It's hard to learn how to slap or stop the puck if you can't move on skates.

I played a a youth....youth hockey and HS hockey.  My first coach made me a defenseman because I could skate backwards and could change directions quickly.  I wanted to be a Goalie, but he said I was too valuable to not play just in front of the goalie, so it stuck.

'Peen, I played goalie for several years, was pretty good at it. The difference now as opposed to 30- 40 years ago is the level of skating ability- it's unreal as to how much it's improved. HS kids are better at it now than most college players of that era.

BTW, the goalie equipment now is in another world compared to the junk I was using back then.  :) 

#16 The Cysko Kid

The Cysko Kid

• REGISTERED
  • 13,627 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:42 AM

I just don't care about ice soccer. But if I did Columbus would certainly be my team. I root for them to do well even if I don't follow them.

#17 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Interests:SPORTS, good restaurants or cooking out, premium cigars among others

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

I saw most of the 50th anniversary of the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey and being that I've been a fan since Lemieux was drafted in 1984 I consider myself a fan, mainly in the late 1980s and 1990s and somewhat after that in the 2000s and on.

Really good show and probably why I'm a Pens fan and not really a Blue Jackets fan (besides the dumb tag "BJs?").  Saw it on ROOT Pittsburgh.

#18 Westside Steve

Westside Steve

Member since Sept 15, 2003

• REGISTERED
  • 27,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:30 AM

I would probably care if they were the Cleveland Barons again. As it is I root for the Canadian teams until they are eliminated at which point I root for the American teams from cities in which water freezes in the winter.

WSS

#19 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:13 AM

I would probably care if they were the Cleveland Barons again. As it is I root for the Canadian teams until they are eliminated at which point I root for the American teams from cities in which water freezes in the winter.
WSS

Probably why I didn't buy into the BJs too.

#20 FairHooker11

FairHooker11

All Pro

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • Interests:Browns, Tribe, Wild-NHL

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

Red Wings are my fav team but Columbus is my second. I try to hit a hand full of Blue Jackets games per year and been watching them longer than this streak.They did the right thing by getting rid of the super stars they had like Nash and built a decent team thru the draft. They have a well balanced team with no really super stars.

play off hopes (as of today) for both the BJS and the Wild are on life support - each being behind one game to three against the penguins and Blues  respectively.

so the regular season win streaks do nothing for when it counts like now, & for the Wild especially because Chicago was eliminated by Nashville.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users