THE BROWNS BOARD

Ah, Newt

SHREVEPORT, La. - Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich called on President Obama to apologize for comments made by actor Robert De Niro at a fundraiser supporting the president.

"What De Niro said last night was inexcusable and the president should apologize for him. It was at an Obama fundraiser, it is exactly wrong," Gingrich said, referring to a joke made by De Niro about the potential Republican first ladies.

De Niro told a crowd of about 90 people that it was "too soon" for a white first lady. The comment was made Monday night at a reception in New York City that was hosted by De Niro and his wife, and attended by First Lady Michelle Obama.

"Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white First Lady?" De Niro asked, according to a pool report from the fundraiser.

The report said the crowd roared and someone yelled "No!" as De Niro asked, "Too soon, right?"

The White House today agreed with Gingrich. "We believe the joke was inappropriate," said Olivia Alair, Michelle Obama's press secretary.

Gingrich said the comments made by De Niro divide the country and "if people on the left want to talk about radio talk show hosts, then everybody in the country ought to hold the president accountable when somebody at his event

says something as utterly, totally unacceptable as Robert De Niro said last night," Gingrich said.

Gingrich said the president should hold De Niro accountable for the comments.

"On behalf of both my wife, and on behalf of Karen Santorum and on behalf of Ann Romney and that is I think Robert De Niro is wrong. I think the country is ready for a new first lady and he doesn't have to describe it in racial terms," Gingrich said.

...I don't think he gets that it was a joke.

And yet, Heck and all the rest of the liberal wonks, would go angry and outraged as hell,

if Rush had said it.

They would demand he be fired, and jailed, and tortured.

But let it be said by anybody on their side.... it's great.

See? If it benefits Heck emotionally, it's good. But if it does NOT benefit him emotionally, it's FREAKIN BAD AND DISGRACEFUL.

It's a kind of power - to use the same leverage for yourself, and against others at the same time.

They just keep doing it, and apparently can't help it.

Sad.

I think the practice of getting out raged over every little tiny thing and demanding an apology is, or at least should be, embarrassing for everyone.

I think there's a whole lot more of it on the left but no one's hands are clean to be sure.

I'd rather have a "F you, get over it." than a fake apology.

WSS

And the thing with liberal and conservative talk radio is interesting.

It's the liberals, who are usually a lot funnier who are either nasty enough to make limbaugh seem like mister rogers or angry and sullen when they have more than 30 minutes to kill.

Plus you guys had springer!

WSS

That certainly seems true.

But that doesn't explain or excuse the imbalance of outrage.

I mean come on if Newt had said we needed a white first lady......

WSS

Because it wouldn't be the same joke. That's why the reaction would be different.

For another thing, for people to laugh when you do racial humor they have to have a sense that you don't actually resent the race of the people you're poking fun of. Newt, of the "food stamp president" and "I don't want to give black people handouts" mold, wouldn't be able to tell those jokes effectively.

People have to think you're trying to be humorous, not derisive. That's key.

Oh, Jeez...

Robert DeNiro has apologized for his joke at an Obama fundraiser Monday night about America’s not being ready for a “white first lady.” In a statement to the Associated Press, DeNiro insisted that while his remarks were “spoken in jest,” he didn’t mean to offend anyone, particularly the first lady, whose spokeswoman called the joke “inappropriate.”

Because it wouldn't be the same joke. That's why the reaction would be different.

For another thing, for people to laugh when you do racial humor they have to have a sense that you don't actually resent the race of the people you're poking fun of. Newt, of the "food stamp president" and "I don't want to give black people handouts" mold, wouldn't be able to tell those jokes effectively.

People have to think you're trying to be humorous, not derisive. That's key.

It's not funny. It's a double standard. Bad job out of deniro.

Now that's funny!

WSS

I tend to think I know a little bit more about this than you do, my friend.

You can't poke fun at race if people think you're doing it from a bad place, or if the punchline touches on racist attitudes. It's often a narrow line. But Newt Gingrich saying, "Now do you really think our country is ready for another black first lady? Too soon, right?" is not even close to being a joke, and it would never get a laugh. People would be stunned. You'd hear crickets. And then you'd make news for saying something peculiar.

Because it's not the same joke. It's not the reverse just because you put the same words in someone else's mouth. Everything is different but the words. The premise changes. It's no longer referencing a cultural meme. Everything falls apart.

Try this same theory, but with an even more obvious example:

Chris Rock: "I love black people, but I hate niggers."

Newt Gingrich: "I love black people, but I hate niggers."

...Get my drift? It matters who is telling the joke, and why they're telling it, and what the reference is.

It matters who the libs LIKE, and who they don't like.

If they like somebody's emotional political bents, why, the excuses are eternal.

If they don't like sombody's stances on issues, they hate the exact same statement.

It's all about how Heck/woodpecker/ etc etc etc FEEL at the time, and how they FEEL about the person speaking.

It matters who the libs LIKE, and who they don't like.

If they like somebody's emotional political bents, why, the excuses are eternal.

If they don't like sombody's stances on issues, they hate the exact same statement.

It's all about how Heck/woodpecker/ etc etc etc FEEL at the time, and how they FEEL about the person speaking.

Holy shit you moron

How many times do we have to go over this?

I don't "feel" how I choose things, I use common sense, facts, science, etc. I'm a goddamn engineer... you think it get by in class by picking the answer that feels best?

and no, I'm not in an "emotion outburst" or w/e the hell you are going to call this. I am going off of facts, common sense, and your favorite, history, and they are all telling me you are a closed minded old man that refuses to listen to anyone that disagrees with him

Archived