THE BROWNS BOARD

Mad Dog Mattis chosen for secretary of defense

bbedward

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn’t wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain’t got no manhood left anyway. So it’s a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them. Actually it’s quite fun to fight them, you know. It’s a hell of a hoot. It’s fun to shoot some people. I’ll be right up there with you. I like brawling.”

“Demonstrate to the world there is ‘No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy’ than a U.S. Marine.”

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all.”

“The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot.”

-- Mad Dog Mattis

---

I love the pick - he's a badass who has dedicated his life pretty much to the USMC. Obviously the left is crying about it because of the quotes above.

Apart from the 'fun' killing people part I don't disagree with any of them.

I don't think the head of the military needs a soft touch in charge necessarily, that's what an even tempered president is for...

“When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy”

I LOVE THIS GUY.

Among people who know him, they say he is outstanding in character, wisdom, well-balanced, extremely intelligent,

can fix a lot of the terrible mistakes obaMao has made in our foriegn policy... just an oustanding guy.

Oh, hell yeah, nice nominee, TRUMP and PENCE !

You think a waiver from the Congress would be hard to get?

Do you have any reason to oppose him? Or just GP?

Well since only one has ever been granted and when it was Congress stated that none should ever be granted again... yes, I hope it's hard to get.

Nice assumption on my opposition BTW...

Well since only one has ever been granted and when it was Congress stated that none should ever be granted again... yes, I hope it's hard to get.

Nice assumption on my opposition BTW...

I think in the case of Mattis it will be granted with little opposition.

Hoping the waiver is hard to get sounds like opposition to me.

Then get your hearing checked... it was a statement of general principle based upon precedent... and the law. Are you in favor of making it easy to break laws?

Now... what I have heard so far concerning "Maddog" sounds promising. Particularly reports of his discussion with Trump concerning the use of torture. So at least in one instance there's evidence that there's a rational mind in line for an important position.

Seems about time to resurrect my "Cabinet Watch" thread...

Easy to break the law, Tour? That's a little harsh, if you consider granting the waiver breaking the law. So if you think the general is a well-qualified individual who would be a fine secretary of Defense why wouldn't you think the waiver is a good and proper thing?

Unless of course obstructionism for spite is going to be the game plan for the next two or four years.

3. 2. 1...

WSS

Easy to break the law? That's a little harsh, if you consider granting the waiver breaking the law. So if you think the general is a well-qualified individual who would be a fine secretary of Defense why wouldn't you think the waiver is a good and proper thing?

Because presumably the law exists for a reason, and you either get the law overturned if it's not relevant, or it should be damn hard to get a waiver.

Unless of course obstructionism for spite is going to be the game plan for the next two or four years.

Well it's been the plan for the last 8 years...

WSS

The law presumably exists from the 1940s is to keep so many military officers from being involved in the civilian run military.

Huge surge of nationalism after the second World War. At least here in America. That's no longer the case and unless you have an actual b**** with the general I'd say the waiver is warranted.

WSS

And thanks for the 3 2 1 triggered response, I'm surprised it was you and not Tour but.

As you might recall from your reading I was okay with giving Merrick Garland a hearing, he didn't seem like a bad choice compared to what Hillary probably would have put up.

And it was much more than spite it was a strategy because the apparent Democratic nominee was going to be such a distasteful candidate that at that time it seemed as if the Republicans would win the White House and be able to balance the court with a more Centrist nominee.

Seems that worked out even though at the time those best-laid plans that aft gang agley...

WSS

I remember when we could just have a conversation, Steve. You wouldn't just talking in what's now become clichés and catchphrases, but we could actually discuss things like adults. You wouldn't put words in my mouth and then criticise them. You would actually be able to talk in points and counterpoints, not lump everyone who disagrees with you in to the same pigeonhole. Where's that guy? I'd like to see him come back.

I remember when we could just have a conversation, Steve. You wouldn't just talking in what's now become clichés and catchphrases, but we could actually discuss things like adults. You wouldn't put words in my mouth and then criticise them. You would actually be able to talk in points and counterpoints, not lump everyone who disagrees with you in to the same pigeonhole. Where's that guy? I'd like to see him come back.

Sorry my friend. I haven't been rude or snotty. Don't know what you expect of me. I disagreed with the Republicans on the handling of Merrick Garland and I feel the possible blowback against the general is just spite.

It was you that made that comparison right?

Speaking of a rational conversation was your response not something along the lines of well that's what you guys did? I'm serious.

Otherwise if you have serious problems with granting this waiver I'd be happy to read them should you care to give me a list.

PS I promise not to get angry about a little sarcasm.

WSS

Archived