THE BROWNS BOARD

Trump to Announce Carrier Plant Will Keep Jobs in U.S.

OldBrownsFan

Another question for the republicans on here who are hailing this as a masterful victory - how does this sit with the free market philosophy of no government interference in business? Picking winners, as Mitt Romney Reek called it?

One of the great things about his election is directly afterwards besides switch their hats. Now the liberals who have been crying for government control of everything find the slightest whiff of government control and are dead set against it. Oh well.

Reducing taxes and restrictions is one way to keep businesses here.

Hopefully we make it up on the back side with not only that thousand people working but buying services Etc.

Also as a general rule I'm glad to have the money in the hands of business and citizens rather than the government who I think has a tendency to waste it because they aren't really answerable to anyone. Your mileage May differ.

WSS

I'm not saying I'm against - in fact, working out deals that benefit everyone is a good thing in my book. But you've seen first hand people railing against any kind of government 'interference' in the free market, and now that Trump's doing it, it's all grand.

Also Mitt Romney...and I thought Cruz was spineless.

I'm not saying I'm against - in fact, working out deals that benefit everyone is a good thing in my book. But you've seen first hand people railing against any kind of government 'interference' in the free market, and now that Trump's doing it, it's all grand.

Also Mitt Romney...and I thought Cruz was spineless.

Yeah, well it was a campaign wasn't it? Noticed your buddy Obama handed Hillary a plum job after saying she was an incompetent piece of s***.

I'll repeat my theory about Mitt Romney. According to the polls Donald Trump is the most hated figure in the history of the world and was bound to lose in a landslide. Anyone seem to be linked to his coattails would probably be tarred by the same brush.

Political posturing? Sure but something Donald Trump is no stranger to and I'm sure he understands. Back to the switching of hats those who hated Romney when he ran for president and then loved him but he bad mouth Donald Trump now hate him again.

WSS

Seriously? liberals bitching about Carrier staying, and 1100 not losing their livelihoods, homes, etc?

tax breaks to keep company? "tax incentives comes out of the hands of taxpayers" ???

as in, the company will STILL BE THERE, and STILL BE PAYING TAXES. for decades.

Like Trump said, 6 of 8 air conditioner companies are in....Mexico.

Yeah, libs, soak all companies for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ until they leave country, but meanwhile, your

leftist liberal politicians can buy more entitlement votes. egad, what a way to screw up our country.

I know manufacturing came up but that wasn't exactly where I was headed. More just job creation in general. I see automation continuing on its course of pushing human hands out of the manufacturing process.

Exactly. Automation is a huge factor in removing jobs. I worked to automate processes at my last job and I'm doing it again now. Huge money saver.

No I saw that. Cutting taxes and regulations which is a better way than imposing tariffs.

I agree with you. Unfortunately our President-elect does not. Click here for video: HERE

There should be more tax incentives for employing Americans. Nothing wrong with that

And when the rate hits zero? What then?

well that would be super for them if all the jobs they hoped existed actually did exist. Myself I hope everybody climbs down off of their high-falutin' horses and realizes blue collar is acceptable. Dirty old low class assembly workers at Ford make, or at least historically have made, a comparable or better living then a lot of jobs that require 4 year degrees.

Also historically... they had unions.

Yeah we only have nearly the highest corp tax in the world...

True only for the gross tax rate. Our effective rate on the other hand is already competitive.

Watch how business will embrace the lowering of the gross rate and fight tooth and nail for every deduction they currently have. It's life in "the swamp".

Obama: "What magic wand will that guy whom I won't mention his name wave and bring the jobs back to Carrier?"

Trump: "It's called a phone"

Good one... here's another one.

When is 1100 not 1100? When Trump says it is.

Real number of jobs saved was 730... and 1300 are still being sent to Mexico by Carrier... so there's that.

Also as a general rule I'm glad to have the money in the hands of business and citizens rather than the government who I think has a tendency to waste it because they aren't really answerable to anyone. Your mileage May differ.

You've never worked "in business" have you?

Exactly. Automation is a huge factor in removing jobs. I worked to automate processes at my last job and I'm doing it again now. Huge money saver.

For every job lost to off-shoring, four have been lost to automation.

Next up? Trucking... 3mm jobs lost by 2030 with the advent of driverless 18-wheelers. Already being tested in short hauls with a "monitor" in place.

As beer runs go, this one stands out.

Anheuser-Busch hauled a trailer loaded with beer 120 miles in an autonomous-drive truck, completing what's believed to be the first commercial shipment by a self-driving vehicle.

The trip happened last week in Colorado as Anheuser-Busch, collaborated with Otto, a subsidiary of Uber that is developing self-driving truck technology. The semi drove autonomously on the highway between Fort Collins, Colorado and Colorado Springs, Colorado.

"The incredible success of this pilot shipment is an example of what is possible when you deploy self-driving technology," said Otto Co-Founder Lior Ron.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/25/driverless-beer-run-bud-makes-shipment-with-self-driving-truck.html

I'm not opposed to saving jobs... far from it. But someone needs to break thru to the Trump faithful with the message that the man cannot walk on swamp water.

Trump had leverage to burn with Carrier. Forget tariffs... that's small potatoes. Carrier is owned by United Technologies Corporation... UTC for you home gamers... and UTC is a sizeable conglomerate.

Among its other holdings are Pratt & Whitney and UTC Aerospace Systems. Both do significant business with the US military. Below is the worth of its 2014 Pentagon contracts:

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/blog/2015/06/12/pentagon-prize-time-top-10-federal-contractors/

7. United Technologies Corporation, $6.0 billion.

UTC is a parent company for defense contractors Pratt & Whitney, UTC Aerospace Systems, and Sikorsky. Pratt & Whitney is the maker of the F-35 jet fighter engine, among others, while Sikorsky is the maker of the Black Hawk helicopter.

In fairness it must be noted that UTC sold it's Sikorsky business in late 2015. Might be as much as 20% of the $6.0 billion total, but looks to be around $600mm.

So with around $6 billion in government contracts our negotiator-in-chief had to send his VP-elect back to Indiana to revive a deal to save 730 of over 2000 jobs?

And yes, it was a revived deal that Carrier/UTC snubbed earlier this year. So maybe the defense contracts were leveraged... "Take this $7mm or else!"

As Chris said... it's a bad precedent.

Tour asks:

"You've never worked "in business have you?"

No I have not I guess. Maybe in the sense that my entire life operating a small business counts but let's not quibble. Nor have I had a speaking role in a major Studio film or a Broadway production, served in the military or played professional football.

And yet...

On the other hand if your remark was sarcasm in that business waste money too sure they do.

But I would suspect there are no, well maybe not many, loopholes like raising the debt limit before there are actual consequences.

WSS

Archived