THE BROWNS BOARD

Carson Wentz

MasterDog

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wentz would have been destroyed if the Browns drafted him. I'm satisfied with amassing picks to build a good team instead of going all-in on one player that the Browns can't protect. It's only been 2 games, let's see what the rookies can do before firing the front office and hitting the reset button again.

He's a media darling and his former college Bisons beat Iowa Saturday. Wentz will be great someday if he stays healthy. And the Eagles have an easy schedule and get to the playoffs. The Browns had him in their back pocket but went in a different direction. They look really stupid right now going on three quarterbacks in three games.

On the bright side, if the Patriots can start a rookie this week and probably win so can we! It's coaching!

I wanted us to draft Wentz.

After the trade I wanted us to draft Lynch towards the end of round 1 (we decided not to get in position to do that)

Instead we drafted Kessler in round 3 when many pundits had other QB's rated higher.

I wanted tall, strong armed QB. So now I hope that Kessler turns out to be the next Brian Sipe. :) (what else can ya do?)

For the record... I, too, would have given your left nut for him.

My laugh of the day. I Cried :lol: ...F Wentz & F LT Lane Johnson on still playing us & properly 2 more on a 10 game PED charge back in F'n June..Bet your ass a Brown would have sat game 1 thur 10. Break both there legs #clefromeagles

DISCLAIMER (puke in the back of my mouth before saying this)

I hope pit kicks the living shit outta wentz and philly (i have allways hated them also & we have their first round pick) fuck it injuries abound for both teams

While I may not want to jump on the Wentz bandwagon....NEVER would I make a wish such as this. Fuck the Steelers...regardless of who plays them.

While I may not want to jump on the Wentz bandwagon....NEVER would I make a wish such as this. Fuck the Steelers...regardless of who plays them.

What will make you pleased being the trivia guru that you are, is that the Steelers have gone through the entire Super Bowl era never winning in Philly...the last Steeler victory in Philly was in 1965!

That's gotta change.

I wouldn't take anything away from Wentz, they're still NFL defenses the dude wasn't even playing FBS defenses in college.

But there's no sense in drooling over him now

I think there's a vast difference in drooling over someone and being able to admit that it's starting to look like the evaluation of Wentz was a bit off-the-mark.

His biggest (and almost only) knock was that the speed of the game would be too much for him, coming from a FCS school. Philadelphia has done a great job in helping him prepare and has padded his learning curve by playing to his strengths while giving him higher percentage plays to ease him in, however his preparation and mental acuity have shown that this game isn't too much for him.

His first drive against Chicago is EXACTLY the right thing to do for a young QB - lean on his experience in the no huddle, give him three or four hand signals, let him walk to the line and diagnose what the defense gives him and then adjust his receivers to routes he feels comfortable with using his hand signals. He set a pace and was able to get into a groove. Yet he was still facing a NFL caliber defense, with NFL caliber talent, coached by a very solid and experienced NFL DC.

The whole "he hasn't played anyone" narrative is both wrong and stupid. He's played the teams on his schedule, and has beaten them. That's all he's been asked to do, and it's something none of our QB's have ever done.

Still way too early to say we blew it on Wentz

I'm not saying that we blew it. We won't know that for more than a few years, it's wholly dependent on how our draft picks perform.

I'm saying that I don't know what this means for us as a franchise moving forward.

Wentz has the makings of a franchise QB in every single aspect - height, weight, athleticism, intangibles, etc. - and if he continues on the route he is on... he'll be much more than a top-20 guy. And that's what scares me about our current people in charge of QB evaluation. They felt Wentz wouldn't be, so what values are they putting at the top of their list? Short accuracy? Mobility? Appearances in bowl games? Highly recruited coming out of high school?

If they didn't believe Wentz would be a top player, that's fine. But how does that project to next year's draft? If we assume our staff doesn't place a high value in what Wentz brings to the table, that would probably then eliminate Kizer from contention for us next year since they are oddly similar in stature, athletic ability, and overall personality.

Does that put us more in the market for Watson or Kelly? Does that put us out of the running for any QB in next year's draft?

I'm just more intrigued by what our scouts DIDN'T see in Wentz moreso than what they did see in Goff - if the reports are to be believed.

Archived