THE BROWNS BOARD

The Cleveland Browns And This Weeks Pro Day Workouts

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/03/cleveland_browns_prepping_for.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- As NFL free agency remains frozen in the league's labor imbroglio, team personnel departments are locked in on the pre-draft scouting season.

Good thing, too, because the pro day workouts are coming fast and furious.

About two dozen major college programs have pro day workouts this week – often at different locations at the same time. These schools have about 20 players projected for the first round of the draft working out for close inspection by NFL teams.

The Browns will be making the rounds, dividing their team executives, scouts and coaches to get multiple looks at players.

Browns President Mike Holmgren said he still enjoys scouting and visiting with quarterbacks and intends to attend some of the pro days. With Colt McCoy anointed the team's starter and Seneca Wallace re-signed to a three-year contract, it's likely that Holmgren will be looking for a developmental quarterback possibly to displace Jake Delhomme.

The Browns' primary needs, of course, are at defensive line, wide receiver, cornerback, linebacker, offensive tackle and backup running back. Here's a list of this week's pro day workouts and possible players of interest to the Browns.

Tuesday

Arkansas: Quarterback Ryan Mallett has a first-round arm. Offensive tackle DeMarcus Love is a mid-round developmental player.

Auburn: This one should draw all the NFL scouts with defensive tackle Nick Fairley and quarterback Cam Newton on display. There's also long and lanky receiver Darvin Adams and offensive tackle Daniel Ziemba, projected for rounds 2 or 3.

Oklahoma: Defensive end Jeremy Beal is an undersized pass rusher who might remind Browns GM Tom Heckert of Philadelphia's Trent Cole.

Wednesday

Alabama: Browns figure to be front and center at the Crimson Tide workout. Defensive tackle Marcell Dareus; receiver Julio Jones, fresh off his torrid combine clockings; and late-round, gym-rat quarterback Greg McElroy should be of interest. Mark Ingram also should garner a crowd for those looking for running back in the first round.

California: Somebody from the Browns has to attend to get a close look at rising defensive end Cameron Jordan. Other prospects include pass-catching running back Shane Vereen, middle linebacker Mike Mohamed and free safety Chris Conte.

Colorado: This is Cornerback U. this year with two potential NFL starters in Jalil Brown and Jimmy Smith. Both will go before the third round. First-round offensive tackle Nate Solder is also on hand.

Oklahoma State: Persons of interest to the Browns include scatback Kendall Hunter, middle linebacker Orie Lemon and defensive end Ugo Chinasa.

Texas A&M: Outside linebacker Von Miller is considered one of the best pass rushers in the draft and a perfect fit for Arizona's new 3-4 look at No. 5. If he's available at No. 6, he's got to be considered by the Browns, too.

Wisconsin: Defensive end J.J. Watt was the player chosen for the Browns in Mel Kiper Jr.'s last mock draft. Quarterback Scott Tolzien needs to find some zip on the ball to avoid undrafted status.

Thursday

Clemson: Top-rated defensive end DaQuan Bowers won't work out until April 1 to give his injured knee time to heal. Other prospects who could intrigue the Browns are defensive tackle Jarvis Jenkins, mid-round cornerback Marcus Gilchrist and late-round corner Byron Maxwell.

Miami: Two cornerbacks of note are Brandon Harris -- perhaps the draft's third-best -- and DeMarcus Van Dyke, whose 4.25 40 time at the combine was the fourth-best all time. Also, defensive end Allen Bailey is considered a potential first-round pick.

Mississippi State: Two mid-to-late-round linebackers to look at, Chris White and K.J. Wright.

Nebraska: Prince Amukamara, cornerback, requests the honor of your presence at his royal workout.

Friday

Ohio State: Defensive end Cameron Heyward will be the first Buckeye taken in the draft, but he won't work out until March 30 to give his surgically repaired left elbow more time. The Browns may want to look, anyway, at weakside linebacker Ross Homan, undersized linebacker and safety prospect Brian Rolle, running back Brandon Saine, receiver Dane Sanzenbacher and speedy cornerback Chimdi Chekwa.

Purdue: Defensive end Ryan Kerrigan is in the group of eight or nine defensive ends expected to go in the first round.

Texas Christian: Quarterback Andy Dalton would be a good fit in the Browns' West Coast offense. He's projected anywhere from the third to the fifth round.

I have lived in Alabama for 2 years now and I have watched a WR from Troy named Jerrel Jernigan, he is only 5'9" and weighs under 200, but what he has is fantastic football speed. He runs in the low 4.3s and has great down the field speed. I know we are losing Stuckey and I think this guy would be a great slot option for us in the 3rd or 4th round.

really I think after we go after that #1 WR we don't touch WR unless it's with one of the 6th round picks. We have MoMass Robiskie Mitchel Cribbs Hergarty Norwood Williams and Winsdsor from the practice squad/reserve signing after the season. 2 or these 8 will more than likely be cut/on the practice squad next year and the rest will more than likely be on the active roster. I am assuming that there is a reason why they haven't cut Williams yet so he will more than likely not be cut. I just don't see the reason to draft late round WR after draft a WR that we want to turn into our #1. Slot receivers are not a need, we have a roster full of them.

I like the look at The cornerback from Miami Van Dyke,if we could get him in the later rounds id like that...Von Miller played great standing up at the Senior Bowl playing the OLB position and i think hes a great player...Kendall Hunter i think fits nicely into a Scatback role we could maybe grab in the later rounds...And if you wanna talk about a project QB in the later rounds i like Dalton but dont think he will be there to long,so i wouldnt mind to see Greg McElroy in the later rounds.Hes a proven winner whos played in a pro style offense and has the best head on his shoulders outta all the QBs in this draft.

Forgot Cam Heyward he would be a steal in the second which is why i hope we get AJ Green in the First, this draft is loaded with Dline and there will be a first round grade Dlineman when we pick in the second..Which wouldnt upset me say we got a DT like Dareus in the First and then a passrusher in the Second Cam Heyward, or even Reverse Bowers or Quinn in the First and the Drake Nevis or Marvin Austin, Stephen Paea in the Second that would be great

Slot receivers are not a need, we have a roster full of them.

agreed! at this point, the browns just need to get wrs who put fear into opposing defenses.

edit: having a top notch wr on the team will open up the field and make it easier for guys like robo, cribbs, momass, etc. to get easy catches. with less focus on them, they'll have a greater chance of success.

Yeah im not sold on anyone besides Green and Jones in this draft and feel if you cant land those two, just go Defense the first two rounds and try to grab a high named reciever in the F/A like Sidney Rice

if the browns can't get aj at #6, i say eff it. go after defensive players and maybe take a shot at someone like jones in the 2nd rd OR trade back in the 1st rd and get jones there and use the additional pick to stock up on dlinemen. the 2nd rd is supposedly going to be filled with them. jmo.

lol....jones isn't gonna make it past the middle of the first round. despite his constant dropsies, he's still the second best receiver out there and wont go past 19. so trading up that far is completely outta the picture, not to mention trading up to grab such a high risk player isnt smart at all. but they did think trading up for mr. glass hardesty was a good idea, so who knows what fatass will force on heckert.

lets see.....i believe we about 8 WR's including guys on the PS. we have 4 DL, 5 if u include roth. talk about how a #1 receiver is necessary to score points and do all those flashy things u trendy kids love, but fact is the D jauron wants to run needs pressure from the DL in order for it to work.

im sure warming up to JJ watt, even if AJ is there. who is gonna have more impact on this team in year 1.....a WR that gets 5-10 touches per game or an every down lineman that can stop the run and get at the QB?

everyone wants the flashy pick.....

No, "everyone" does not want the "flashy" pick. More likely, "everyone" just needs a dynamic IMPACT player for their team, in the first round.

I was watching the show "Path to the Draft" on the NFL channel.... and J.J. Watt is a 292 lb force, who is -really- quick and agile. He can really move, and take off and run.

If Green and Peterson are gone, I look for the Browns to trade down, -if they can-, and make hay with later round players who would still be great picks for the Browns.

Someone on that show was saying you "always" take a DE over a DL, with the same talent level. I didn't get that. There are other variables involved, like character,

team play, and who you already have on your roster....

Excatly i have no problem with the browns taking J.J. Watt i just think he is a reach at #6, we could trade back and still grab him...Heres hoping both Cincy and someone else ahead of us take a QB than we will be looking really good as to whatever we want

No, "everyone" does not want the "flashy" pick. More likely, "everyone" just needs a dynamic IMPACT player for their team, in the first round.

thanks, cal. my feelings exactly. it's not about a flashy pick for me either. this team has alot of holes to fill and it's hard to say which one is the most important to fill.

for me personally, i'm leaning toward aj at #6 if he's there because i'm sick of the browns not having a consistent passing attack that makes it harder for opposing defenses to handle them. having a guy like aj could potentially help out alot and like i said before, d linemen are supposed to be plentiful this year and available in the 2nd rd.

there's a method to my preference for aj in the 1st rd (if he's there). that whole "flashy pick" accusation is nothing more than people automatically assuming that's what all browns fans/nfl fans want. i don't fit into that category. my pick is well thought out.

Agreed i look at Depth and thats which way i would decide to go,Dline is very deep in this draft and you will get a first round grade Dlineman in the second round..Thats why i think the pick should be Green if hes there, theres a bigger dropoff as far as talent from the WR position opposed to the Defense line position,and Green would defentily have just a great effect as DE would..Just because you only catch the ball 5 times a game dosent mean opposing Defenses dont have to play different type of schemes to stop a great WR, it compelety opens up the rest of the offense.

Thats why i think the pick should be Green if hes there, theres a bigger dropoff as far as talent from the WR position opposed to the Defense line position,and Green would defentily have just a great effect as DE would..Just because you only catch the ball 5 times a game dosent mean opposing Defenses dont have to play different type of schemes to stop a great WR, it compelety opens up the rest of the offense.

good post, nw!

I think what a lot of people forget (because of about 5 WR is recent history) is that normal WR take about 3 years to get their feet on the ground. If you look at the history of WR they tend to have so so years first and second year. Third year is when they will break out or bust. Me personally I am going to wait until the end of this year before I start writing off Robo and MoMass.

I think what a lot of people forget (because of about 5 WR is recent history) is that normal WR take about 3 years to get their feet on the ground. If you look at the history of WR they tend to have so so years first and second year. Third year is when they will break out or bust. Me personally I am going to wait until the end of this year before I start writing off Robo and MoMass.

Well said. WRs seldom come "out of the gate" as NFL superstars, or even NFL capable. As you stated, we should have a much clearer picture of their performance this year, although I still feel that Robo was set back his 1st year.

We'll see what happens.

Mike

from what i heard on espn, cam looked good. hopefully one of the teams that pick before the browns thinks so to.

I think it's becoming glaringly obvious a team ahead of us will be stupid to draft a QB (maybe 2).

I'm just hoping Peterson and/or Green is still there.

Thanks SJ

Yeah it usually does take WRs an average of 3 years to really come into there own, but not the elite..Calvin Johnson,Fitzgerald,Moss,Dez Byrant,Desean Jackson,Andre Johnson,etc...These guys are great right out the gate and thats the kind of player you would get in Green,and then you add in if Robo and Momass do actually become more of a threat into year three..That makes are Receving Core very nice...Dont also sleep on Evan Moore i think he has tons of potential and is on the verge of being a great TE, Someone who can step out say in the slot and cause mismatches on CBs or Safteys...We all remeber his play agasnt Revis one hell of a catch..Shurmur has said he will be used more often this season

I don't think MoMass needs to be discussed as a bust. Robo, possibly, but he started to show something last year.

Mo is a pretty solid receiver. No, he isn't going to be the best in the league, but he is solid and can do the things we need him to do.

Archived