THE BROWNS BOARD

EpiPen Price Jumps 400%... Just in Time for School

Tour2ma

Cool... did not have to search for this thread...

Manchin's daughter, Heather Bresch, has now been "invited" to sit before a Senate committee. On top of Chuck Grassley's letter of inquiry now Senators Collins and Klobuchar have issued the invite to sit before the Senate Aging Committee on which they serve and of which Sen. Grassley chairs.

Heather's "explanation" is going to need a little work before her appearance... at least based upon what I saw of her sit down on CNBC yesterday.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/25/mylan-expands-epipen-cost-cutting-programs-after-charges-of-price-gouging.html

One point to add is that the EpiPen was not a product Mylan recently developed... or developed period. Mylan bought the product.

Shel Kaplan invented the EpiPen from 1965 to 1978. He was born in 1939 in Everett, MA and died in 2009. Shel Kaplan originally made the EpiPen as a tool for the military!

Wiki has an extensive history of the "pen" here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine_autoinjector

Mylan is at least the third owner of this old product.

In the above history mention is made of several lawsuits employed in defending the pen from generics. I'm betting that the drug itself is long off patent and the suits have been around "tweaks" to the delivery pen that have resulted in the extension of device's original patent long beyond it's original expiration date. Patent tweaking is a very old practice employed to sustain monopolies.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I guess then it's lucky for me that you are incapable of even the most superficial analysis of anything.

WSS

I already tore ur original premise to pieces. And very easily. Almost no thought to it. Football players vs life saving drugs. Theres nothing there and u probably know its just typical steve time i get it. And tour just broke ya down another few

I already tore ur original premise to pieces. And very easily. Almost no thought to it. Football players vs life saving drugs. Theres nothing there and u probably know its just typical steve time i get it. And tour just broke ya down another few

You? You had nothing of substance to say and tour, his response had nothing to do with my comment.

Yes Pollyanna oftentimes things cost a great deal of money because people want them or need them.

Shocking I know.

WSS

Yeah i figured u werent going to acknowledge what tour wrote. I also knew full well you'd either ignore or infact even double down on equating greedy athletes who in the end do nothing more for society than runnig and jumping real good, equating them as no different than corp suits skyrocketing life saving medications that they apparently didnt even do the r&d on.

So because we watch millionaire athletes run and jump around real good, we cant complain about diabetics (an enormous amt if them children) having their life saving medication (literally life saving) skyrocket like 700%.....?

Thats our dose of typical specious steven for today?

Just came back. Didnt realize a west side would burn like that coming out. Maybe i shouldnt eat any ghost pepper sauce the night before a healthy dose of specious steve?

Hint: don't use the ghost pepper sauce as a lubricant while you're jerking off.

Or at least quit thinking about me when you do it.

WSS

Says the guy who is only on this board because of allegiance to a group of multi-millionaire athletes many of which can barely read and write.

Ironic ain't it?

WSS

(actually that's all of us)

I mean... I can see where you're going with the comparison. But that doesn't stop it from being a poor one.

You? You had nothing of substance to say and tour, his response had nothing to do with my comment.

Yes Pollyanna oftentimes things cost a great deal of money because people want them or need them.

I was simply providing more context... added info was not "in response" to anyone, but that was then...

As tia pointed out there is no comparison between a "free market" system such as NFL free agency and what is happening with the EpiPen. A monopoly is the antithesis of a free market.

And no one, at least not me, is decrying Mylan profiting from their manufacture and sale of the EpiPen. But there is a point where profit becomes excessive, unjustifiable and it seems clear Mylan crossed that line some time ago.

Well in theory protecting intellectual property rights is never a bad thing. But as we've seen with mylan these companies use their monopoly to grossly gouge the consumer who has no other market choice. Tricky subject, not sure where i fall on that.

Tpp in general sounds like typical corp bullshit though

Yesterday Mylan announced they will market an identical (except for labeling) Generic pen, 2-pack. at around half the price of the "name" 2-pack.

Analysts quickly pointed out that because of the distribution system the generic may actually cost the end user more. At the heart of this outcome are "rebates" Mylan issues to the other part of the chain for its name pens.

Rebate recipients include insurers. Weren't these rebates once called kickbacks?

Archived