THE BROWNS BOARD

We Turned Down Offer To Trade Down With Rams

BSipeBomber

The Rams talked to the five teams that held picks No. 6 overall through No. 10 about the possibility of moving up. It soon became apparent that they might have to get ahead of the New York Jets at No. 9 to nab Austin. And for a while, they wondered if they might even have to draft ahead of Buffalo at No. 8 for Austin.So Cleveland, at No. 6 overall, was offered the same deal as Buffalo. But for the second year in a row (See: RGIII trade), the Browns declined to pull the trigger on a major deal with the Rams. Cleveland wanted Louisiana State outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo and decided to stay at No. 6 to do just that.

Similarly, Arizona decided to stay put at No. 7 to grab Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack.So the deal was with Buffalo, and the Rams got their man in the diminutive Austin. At a shade under 5-feet-9, Austin’s stature won’t be an issue when it comes to presenting a target for quarterback Sam Bradford, according to Fisher.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-appear-ready-to-rev-it-up/article_c5d1a4ce-d7b3-571b-b01b-8a766f436241.html

Could have gotten Jarvis Jones and extra pick.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rams talked to the five teams that held picks No. 6 overall through No. 10 about the possibility of moving up. It soon became apparent that they might have to get ahead of the New York Jets at No. 9 to nab Austin. And for a while, they wondered if they might even have to draft ahead of Buffalo at No. 8 for Austin.So Cleveland, at No. 6 overall, was offered the same deal as Buffalo. But for the second year in a row (See: RGIII trade), the Browns declined to pull the trigger on a major deal with the Rams. Cleveland wanted Louisiana State outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo and decided to stay at No. 6 to do just that.

Similarly, Arizona decided to stay put at No. 7 to grab Alabama offensive guard Chance Warmack.So the deal was with Buffalo, and the Rams got their man in the diminutive Austin. At a shade under 5-feet-9, Austins stature wont be an issue when it comes to presenting a target for quarterback Sam Bradford, according to Fisher.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-appear-ready-to-rev-it-up/article_c5d1a4ce-d7b3-571b-b01b-8a766f436241.html

Could have gotten Jarvis Jones and extra pick.

We probably could have still gotten Mingo.

:mellow: I wonder what we could have gotten from the Rams? I would hope it would have been more than their 1st and their 2nd but I don't know.

:huh: I just heard on Bruce Drennan's show "All Bets Are Off" is reporting that a St Louis Dispatch reporter is saying that the Rams offered their 1st, their 2nd, and just a 7th to move up. I would have liked a 4th or 5th instead of a 7th but they could have moved down and taken Jarvis Jones and that would have meant the Steelers wouldn't get Jones and that would have been OK with me.

and we got a 32 inch DE who i guess we'll put at OLB along with all the othe LBs we have. he'll have to add about 40lbs. but i believe he'll be a beast.

the thing is though (and i know the draft is over blah blah blah) i agree with TCPO we could have moved down and still got the guy plus the extra picks.

way to show up with your game face on banner and lombardi!!

Yep its over, We got Mingo and they drafted a tiny ass wr. I think that they are going to regret it myself. If he is a #1 wideout, then damn.

Contrary to your view, if I had been Mike Lombardi, I would have gone all out in free agency to sign a CB and then focused on using the draft to pick Tavon Austin #1. I think Austin, one of the most explosive players to come along in decades into the NFL (and Ron Jaworski and many others agree with that statement), would have taken the Browns offense to a level it hasn't been at since the glory days of the 80s. Austin will have a far, far greater impact for his team, the Rams, than Mingo will have for the Browns.

But with the Browns, we never see big thinking. That is why this franchise has been so bad for so long.

;) According to ESPN's "experts" Austin was the most exciting player on offense in the draft. He would have been a very nice addition to the Browns.

:mellow: Who takes a DE/OLB type that didn't have great stats as a college player? The answer of course is the Cleveland Browns. Now I hope Mingo works out but who knows? I would have rather they took Milliner the best cornerback in the draft. So settle down OK? We could have traded down too.

We bitch that we got a 5'10 db, but a 5'9" wr is going to be a #1, he cuoldnt even hold Percy Harvins jock for him. The dude is 1 hit away from breaking his little body. Its funny how we can compare conferences and then give Austin a pass, in a pass happy league. They played from behind most of the time and his best game was against Baylor. No way is he a #1

:mellow: Who takes a DE/OLB type that didn't have great stats as a college player? The answer of course is the Cleveland Browns. Now I hope Mingo works out but who knows? I would have rather they took Milliner the best cornerback in the draft. So settle down OK? We could have traded down too.

I would have rather had them trade down with the Rams and taken Jones,Vaccaro or Reid and had the 2nd rounder.

Hopefully Mingo is a 10+ sack a season guy for years to come.

:huh: I sure hope so. Our luck Jarvis Jones will be defensive rookie of the year, lol.

We bitch that we got a 5'10 db, but a 5'9" wr is going to be a #1, he cuoldnt even hold Percy Harvins jock for him. The dude is 1 hit away from breaking his little body. Its funny how we can compare conferences and then give Austin a pass, in a pass happy league. They played from behind most of the time and his best game was against Baylor. No way is he a #1

Or a #2. He CANNOT play on the outside in the NFL. He is a slot WR. He could be a good one but that is all he is. Not worth a top 10 pick.

:huh: I get that but is Mingo worth a top 10 pick? I sure hope he is!

Dion Jordan went number 3 with a trade up for the dolphins. He played in a pass happy league and was average.

Mingo this year played against double teams and aginst better lineman .You can argue who has more upside and who is more accomplished, at the end of the day we have one and not the other.

Contrary to your view, if I had been Mike Lombardi, I would have gone all out in free agency to sign a CB and then focused on using the draft to pick Tavon Austin #1. I think Austin, one of the most explosive players to come along in decades into the NFL (and Ron Jaworski and many others agree with that statement), would have taken the Browns offense to a level it hasn't been at since the glory days of the 80s. Austin will have a far, far greater impact for his team, the Rams, than Mingo will have for the Browns.

But with the Browns, we never see big thinking. That is why this franchise has been so bad for so long.

Translation: the Browns don't do what I think they should do.

My reaction: thank God.

I can think of one 5'9" receiver who has been a #1 or 2 guy his entire career and if I was voting he would definately end up in the HOF. Double covered and triple covered in his prime and still put up big game after big game. And how does he do it? Speed, Seperation and great route running. Don't know if this guy will be a bust or not but you cannot say just because he is 5'9" that he will be.

Oh yeah for those who didn't figure it out, STEVE SMITH!!! Knowing what you know now about his career tell me you wouldn't have taken him in the top 10.

Do you honestly think he is as tough as Smith is. Austin is listed at 5'8" 174. Smith 5'9" 198. Huge difference is dependability there. Im sure Austin will do some good things there, but I just dont see how he is gonna be a #1

:) I would say Austin might be faster than Smith. He sure looked faster on the film I saw.

:huh: I get that but is Mingo worth a top 10 pick? I sure hope he is!

pleez quit hitting the tab button before you start typing. i have to look at your response on the other half of my monitor to even see wtf you are talking about.

Austin will be on IR by week 8.

Big deal!?

I would have rather had them trade down with the Rams and taken Jones,Vaccaro or Reid and had the 2nd rounder.

Hopefully Mingo is a 10+ sack a season guy for years to come.

I would rather us take one of the guys they targeted that they believe is a difference make then trade back to grab two guys who they believe are lesser talents. Hopefully Mingo pans out. I personally think they rated Mingo too high but I am I am wrong.

A brief recap of this argument, as its being played out in multiple threads:

Tim Couch Pulls Out: This draft sucked, we could have done better. Mingo is Vernon Gholston 2.0 and our best pick was a 3rd round CB who we could have gotten in the 4th or maybe even 5th. We could have traded back, still got Mingo, added a second round pick, and added a FS or G that would instantly start for us. Way to fuck up, Lombardi.

Everyone else: YOU ARE WRONG AND SO ARE THE ANALYSTS. YOU'LL SEE, YOU'LL ALL SEE. MINGO PLAYED IN THE SEC, DUH. PEOPLE JUST HATE THE BROWNS BECAUSE THEY AREN'T THE STEELERS IT'S NOT FAIR

Miktoxic: While this draft wasn't all bad, it could have been better. I think some of our draft picks have upside, but we'll see.

Everyone else: FUCK YOU, WHO DID YOU WANT GENO SMITH?! YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT DICK! SEC FOOTBALL RULZ AND MINGO HAS THE WORD BARK IN HIS NAME I ALREADY ORDERED HIS JERSEY

BSipeBomber: Here is an article that explains how the Browns fumbled a trade back scenario that could have improved their draft.

Everybody else: THE BROWNS ARE GENIUSES FUCK YOU WE HAD THE BEST DRAFT OF HISTORY

PoeticG: Trent Richardson

Gipper: I'm sorry but you are wrong and here is why- I don't agree with you.

PoeticG: Honey Badger

Everybody else: FUCK TYRANN MATHIEU PUR 7th ROUND PICK WILL BE AN ALL PRO

Archived