THE BROWNS BOARD

What would you do?

Bummie

I've read quite a bit recently that there's a decent chance that only 1-2 QBs will go in the first round, if any...it's all talk, I get that. To be honest, most of what I read smells of complete BS, including what I write, but I'll set that aside for now. I could see this happen. There will be a huge slide for QBs after pick 8, and I could see quite a few falling.

So, my question is:

If the top 3 picks are Clowney, Mack, Watkins, in any order, what would you do?

Keep in mind that this will mean pick 26 will have a shot at top QB talent and a team below us, like Minnesota, may be willing to trade up to take the first QB off the board.

I've read quite a bit recently that there's a decent chance that only 1-2 QBs will go in the first round, if any...it's all talk, I get that. To be honest, most of what I read smells of complete BS, including what I write, but I'll set that aside for now. I could see this happen. There will be a huge slide for QBs after pick 8, and I could see quite a few falling.

So, my question is:

If the top 3 picks are Clowney, Mack, Watkins, in any order, what would you do?

Keep in mind that this will mean pick 26 will have a shot at top QB talent and a team below us, like Minnesota, may be willing to trade up to take the first QB off the board.

I'd take Manziel if those three are gone ... if he blows, at least it would be ballsy and fun.

Zombo

For me, I'm one of the guys who wants to build both sides of the ball this year, take a mid round QB and see how he and Hoyer workout, then draft a QB next year if needed.

I like the trade down idea. I think there's a ton of options there. If we went that route I'd go:

1a. Evans, 1b. Shazier/Mosley, 2a. Sua Filo/Yankee, 2b. Top 5 CB, 3a. Bitonio if he's there, 3b. McCarron/Mettenberger/Murray/Fales.

Option 2

1a. Gilbert, 1b. Shazier/Mosley, 2a. Sua Filo/Yankee, 2b. Hyde, 3a. Bitonio, 3b. Moncrief, then trade back up to the third to take the QBs listed above.

I'd take Manziel if those three are gone ... if he blows, at least it would be ballsy and fun.

I'd have to chase that pick with a bottle of Jameson and flush all my hopes down the drain....along with everything I just drank.

Zombo

I'll parrot Walter Football in that scenario. Trade down with the Vikes- who reportedly want Bortles. We get their first, second, and a second next year. Sounds good to me.

Mik would be very happy with that one, because it would mean Evans or one of the other qbs is still in play.

I'll parrot Walter Football in that scenario. Trade down with the Vikes- who reportedly want Bortles. We get their first, second, and a second next year. Sounds good to me.

Mik would be very happy with that one, because it would mean Evans or one of the other qbs is still in play.

thanks hoorTA.

yeah my perfect draft would be get evans, gilbert and then QB of your choice with plenty of picks left over to get the OL ILB and RB.

it would 'complete' me. B)

They still make that garbage? It tastes like cream ale.

no way. zima was a 'malt' beverage that tasted like a flat wine spritzer yet carbonated.

i was weened on the likes of schoeling little kings and genny cream ale.

haven't had it in 30 years, but let the memories live.

If Sammy Watkins is gone I take Mack. If Mack is gone I take Watkins. If both are gone I take Evans with the fourth pick. The other first round pick should be for Carlos Hyde, maybe wait till the 35th pick but he might be gone, but with that said in the top three pick we need to get a stud defensive player LB or CB so Sammy, Hyde, dennard would be my first three pick.

If Sammy Watkins is gone I take Mack. If Mack is gone I take Watkins. If both are gone I take Evans with the fourth pick. The other first round pick should be for Carlos Hyde, maybe wait till the 35th pick but he might be gone, but with that said in the top three pick we need to get a stud defensive player LB or CB so Sammy, Hyde, dennard would be my first three pick.

you had me with evans. if they got him and gilbert i'd buy dinner.

I like evans but 4 is to high for him!

I honestly think you can make a solid arguement for Evans at 4 if mack and clowbey are gone. I get Watkins is the consensus top WR but they are two totally different breeds of WR and both are absolutely beastly at what they do. I can see Evans pulling in ten to twelve touchdowns in the redzone for ten years for us. That and his ability to go up and grab prayers and probably out jumoball anyone in the NFL gives us an incredibale chesspiece for creating mismatches. I can see this guy turning into a game breaker. I think that could very well be worth the number fourth pick....

I take Johnny Football at #4, the best CB at #26, and the best guard at 35. I wouldn't consider a #2 receiver until the 4th round.

It's a deep receiver class. You can find good route runners with good hand in to the 6th round this year.

Trade down with Raiders one spot, acquire a third round pick. Trade down with Tampa Bay, acquire another third round pick. Take Bortles at #7.

Package the 26 and two third round picks to move up to 15 or so, take Bradley Roby.

Then take Kelvin Banjamin in the second, or Allen Robinson if he's not available.

Take Christian Jones in the third.

Take SJB in the third to transition to FS.

Take Anthony Robinson in the fourth.

Take Shayne Skov in the fourth.

Or trade down to the middle first round with whoever offers the best package, hopefully a 2015 first and 2014 second, then take non QB BPA.

Then take Benjamin at 26.

Trade our second for a 2015 first.

Take Christian Jones with the next second.

Refer to above for the rest of the picks.

Then package our two highest 2015 firsts for Winston, Mariota or Hundley, preferably either Winston or Hundley.

I think Watkins and possibly all the QB's will be available at the time of our #4 pick. So it really depends on their evaluation of the QB's. If they like one in particular, they will select him at #4. If none are worthy, I can see them selecting Watkins and waiting until #26 and then take best QB available (hopefully Carr). They could also trade back and pick up a 2nd rounder, and use the trade-back (higher than 26) to select a QB. But I don't see them going beyond #26 without selecting a QB. I like the idea of a trade-back to pick up another 2nd rounder. It's a deep class and we can address QB, WR, CB, and ILB in the first two rounds. OL and RB in the 3rd. Pick up another ILB, OL, QB, CB/S and WR in the later rounds.

Come to think of it, not getting a QB with their first pick of the draft could be putting their jobs at risk - especially if one turns into a star. So a trade back to pick up a second or third while still getting a highly ranked QB would be smart on all fronts - not over-reaching but not ignoring the glairing need either. I don't think this team is too far away from being .500 next year if they fill their holes early in the draft with quality players and get some good coaching.

Archived