THE BROWNS BOARD

Virginia Assembly

Legacy Fan

Lefty.

WSS

Oh, right. You realise we're not all some amorphous, generic blob? I mean, there are plenty of things that will be disagreed on, things I'll call him out on (and have done), same with woody and others. Just like there's not one generic 'righty' - you'll disagree with cal, diehard and cysko on plenty of things.

Maybe, just maybe, instead of looking at people as being strictly either left or right, we should consider that we are instead all on a sliding, multidimensional scale of social, fiscal, foreign, military and all kinds of policies. Maybe, then, we wouldn't be so quick to denounce something out of hand as being left or right wing - like, say, free university education, which works pretty well in other countries - and come to sensible agreements based on evidence not ideology?

Anyway, rant over. Cleve was just not being too creative. Maybe more red bulls were needed. Instead of 'you gay fuckhole fuckhole for gays' perhaps something like 'you knob-gobbling catamite' or 'you turd-poking cum-dumpster' - assuming that being called gay is such an egregious insult.

I'm not even the third most right guy here. If it weren't for my strong anti abortion stance people would probably think I was on the left. I'm probably three notches right of center. Some of these fellas are red line right.

That was kinda my point, that you're not the same as others, even though you might be identified by yourself or others as 'righty'

Hey you got to admit the irony when that kind of shit comes from the left...

By the way are we pretending that sexual orientation political party religion or lack thereof or race isn't a factor when somebody exhibits bad or stupid behavior?

WSS

Please rephrase? I'm not sure of your point.

Sorry I probably should have ordered something. The irony I was speaking of is when people on the left, usually the ones most strident in their defense of homosexuals, commonly call others faggots or queers as an insult.

WSS

People like Cleve? Yeah, I take issue with it and have called him out on it in the past. You'll struggle to find me calling someone some variation of gay, or a woman, as an insult because there's some perceived inferiority to being that.

And that while every one of us here is different in a few ways there is still a left to right graph with some above or below 50%. Not perfect but c'est la vie.

WSS

I'd argue that with the exception of a few on either end, most people here hover around the centre generally, with a few issues sending them one way or the other - abortion, gun rights, gay marriage etc. IIRC, Logic is pro-gun, pro-choice, pro-gays, and probably comes out generally central on social issues. Same with cysko, though different configs. Then you have fiscal policy, where those same people who are perceived as left-wing would want lower taxes, less welfare etc. or those on the perceived right will come out in defence of Obamacare, food stamps, or other things.

We have a bit of a microcosm here, that is skewed by demographic, but we still have quite a variety.

in my defense, most of the people I refer to as fgts are actually straight. I don't call gay people fgts cause for the most part they ain't done nothing to be called a fgt. See what I did there?

The fact that you call people faggots (and if you're going to do it, type the whole thing out, don't abbreviate like a fgt - see what I did there?) is reflective of the second-class status that gay people have been held in for so long; that it's so terrible to be gay.

It's the same for being called a woman; the insult is that the man is lacking some attributes of an arbitrarily defined manliness, and that women again are inferior by virtue of lacking these attributes. Can't bench 200lbs? What a fucking woman. As if all women are weak, feeble things, and all men must be big and butch. Get emotional at a film? What a fucking woman. Because emotions are for women, men are supposed to have a stiff upper lip, not get emotionally attached to things, unless it's sports, or other 'manly' pursuits.

Another one is calling someone a pussy, or telling them to grow a pair. As if a pussy doesn't take the mother of all beatings during childbirth and is expected to just carry on regardless afterwards? And as if a set of balls isn't one of the weakest points on a guys body that can drop you with one swift kick, unlike basically any other place.

Archived