THE BROWNS BOARD

"Believeland" film debuts on espn tonight

cvcanedy

Nobody cared more than Ernest Byner. That's the tradgedy of The Fumble.

We already know all of this shit .., but if you have a loved one who is not up to speed, this is required viewing for them. Only way they will ever remotely understand you.

Z

I would like to re-live the Browns-Steelers game I went to one cold nasty Sunday with Carol Santucci. She gave me a hand job under her Steeler's blanket. I can't ever remember who one. Well, I did.

Between the normal size of your dick and the cold weather, her index finger and thumb must have gotten tired.

I would like to re-live the Browns-Steelers game I went to one cold nasty Sunday with Carol Santucci. She gave me a hand job under her Steeler's blanket. I can't ever remember who one. Well, I did.

That makes Charlie Sheen's version of winning look like kid stuff. So, after your sister got married to an Italian Steeler fan - you took her to a game and she gave you a hand job? Just think what you could have gotten if you took her muzzle off. Are you sure that wasn't your niece's or nephew's hand?

What an alternative to talking football or content projected by the subject heading.

I thought Believeland was well done. I remembered how bad our defense played the day of the fumble and if it wasn't for Byner throwing the team on his back - that score would have been an embarassing blowout rather than 1 guy's fault allegedly. Therefore, when I heard Byner say Big Daddy Hairston told him he blew it - I lost every ounce of respect I had for Hairston. It was our defense that got Raggedy Anned for 38 points.

All that said, Joe Gibbs isn't a stupid guy so he traded us a little horse jockey from Puget Sound (Mike Oliphant) that could run 4.3 forties for a RB he could look to as his work horse for a Superbowl Championship. While Byner got scapegoated for a defense that gave up 38 points on 1 team, look how important he was to a team willing to play some defense in the post season. Was that game really about 1 Fumble or a defense that disappeared like a Houdini Rabbit? This is the most disappointing thing about hearing any fan that watched that entire game think Byner was the only reason we lost. He was actually the only reason that game was competitive when you get right down to it.

For me the old dude (the fan with his grandson) and the bearded dude (the writer) who talked in many of bridge segments made the show. Loved their reflections and insights... Both added new depth to the all too familiar story-lines.

While the Browns' history dominated, it was good to see members of the killer Tribe line up of the 90's... Lofton... Thome... Nagy... and Grover. The latter having the line of the show: "I'll let you know when it happens."

Flugel- Byner said Big Daddy was sitting next to him, consoling him. Byner said he messed it up for everybody. That whole Byner part got me a little weepy, the guy was all class.

I'm with you though, Earnest Byner had a hell of a game. He's my 2nd favorite Browns RB ever (Greg Pruitt is my favorite, I was too young and missed the Jim Brown days).

Flugel- Byner said Big Daddy was sitting next to him, consoling him. Byner said he messed it up for everybody. That whole Byner part got me a little weepy, the guy was all class.

I'm with you though, Earnest Byner had a hell of a game. He's my 2nd favorite Browns RB ever (Greg Pruitt is my favorite, I was too young and missed the Jim Brown days).

Greg Pruitt was mine too. He used to be my avatar in here prior to one of our matchups with Pittsburgh this year.

I appreciate your feedback trying to clarify what Byner said. Do you I just rewound and listened to the Big Daddy thing about 5 times since you brought it to my attention and it still sounds like he says albeit via mumble "I remember him telling me I messed it up. I messed it up for everybody." Then he added the part about a letter from an older guy telling him he messed it up and tore out his heart. If you dvr'd it - listen to it again and let me know. I still might be wrong and I don't want to leave it this way if I am.

Yeah, it is hard to understand Flugel....I think Byner was talking in the third person there. I just listened to it 3 times. I don't think he said Big Daddy was blaming him, I think he told Big Daddy "I messed it up for everybody."

What a team the Browns had back then. All we really needed was a better pass rush.

Overall, I think the show sucked. I was hoping that it wasn't going to be another "poor Cleveland" thing, but it was. I've seen all that crap many times, including when it happened. David Modell is a fucking idiot...I hate him more now, than I did in '95. Art adopts the little prick, and he never had to work a day in his life. And Gold hammer....what the fuck was he doing on that show? He doesn't know crap about sports....let alone Cleveland sports.

I thought Believeland was well done. I remembered how bad our defense played the day of the fumble and if it wasn't for Byner throwing the team on his back - that score would have been an embarassing blowout rather than 1 guy's fault allegedly. Therefore, when I heard Byner say Big Daddy Hairston told him he blew it - I lost every ounce of respect I had for Hairston. It was our defense that got Raggedy Anned for 38 points.

All that said, Joe Gibbs isn't a stupid guy so he traded us a little horse jockey from Puget Sound (Mike Oliphant) that could run 4.3 forties for a RB he could look to as his work horse for a Superbowl Championship. While Byner got scapegoated for a defense that gave up 38 points on 1 team, look how important he was to a team willing to play some defense in the post season. Was that game really about 1 Fumble or a defense that disappeared like a Houdini Rabbit? This is the most disappointing thing about hearing any fan that watched that entire game think Byner was the only reason we lost. He was actually the only reason that game was competitive when you get right down to it.

I still blame Marty for going ultra- conservative and coaching like chicken shit charlie and playing that awful prevent defense that prevents victories. I still hate him a Belicheat!.

Was brutal to watch. Stopped watching after the tribe piece.,,,,will finish it later but i was like ive had enough of this relive.

Hold on a second though.

I'm not ashamed of those 80s teams at all. Brian Sipe wasn't supposed to be NFL material before he erased enough late second half deficits to be an NFL MVP. A lot of those games that season were far from pretty or showcasing any evidence we could dominate anybody like most champions are prone to doing on their way to #1 at the end. In fact, that team Sipe earned MVP honors for needed to be called the Kardiac Kids partly because of how we closed games and partly because we put ourselves in that situation.

Earnest Byner was a 10th round draft pick which = undrafted in today's 7 round draft. The next time Denver played, they got Rathoused into hiding rather than feeling fortunate they were in the Superbowl. Same thing held true when Elway had nowhere to run or hide vrs NY the previous Superbowl. I don't think the NY Giants was nearly the matchup made in Heaven some thought it would have been especially if Marty's post season ass pucker game plans put us in check mate from the onset. My favorite 2 QBs were Kosar and Sipe here while Mack and Byner were pretty FREAKIN fun to watch as well.

When we make a Championship Game, the tippy top of our franchise will have everything set for us to step into rightful football fate as our storied franchise beginnings remind us. When Cleveland frequented Pro Football Title Games in 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954 and 1955 - the Browns won 7 of the 10 consecutive championships they made; and 3 of those were in the NFL between 50 and 55. The last time we won a Title Game in 1964, it counted on a lot of the players Paul Brown draftees even though that was the only Championship Cleveland won after Modell's ego chased Paul out of town. All those years we had the best Ownership (pre-Art), best Head Coach, best QB (Otto Graham) - the stars and planets aligned for a dynasty. That's what happens when you have it all. When you get right down to it, that set-up was so good - Cleveland was actually tougher to beat in the post season before Jim Brown arrived when you get right down to it.

For all that Paul Brown set-up in Cleveland - I'm more sorry about losing him than any of those post season games after he was gone. I had a blast following this team in the 80s compared to what I've witnessed since 1999; but I never got the feeling we had it all from the top-down the way Cleveland did when they kicked off their franchise as a Pro Football Dynasty. And who forget Art bringing in Raymond Clayborn (in his mid 30s) to pay him more cake than a vet like Clay Matthews and others? That was type of shit that guy perpetuated.

At least Jimmy's ego could admit he made some rookie mistakes here to the extent we've witnessed his efforts to own and resolve them sooner than later. As a fan, it's exciting to see a plan in place from our FO and a confident HC that firmly believes he can win here if our Owner and FO permits it. That draft we just saw looked like a cohesiveness that's been missing. Nobody is saying we added 14 perfect draft picks and perfect FAs; but these sure look like the guys our HC and FO wanted for what they're planning to improve. In a passing era Ray Farmer remains unaware of, this draft gave us the top 2 guys at sacking the QB while making an effort to improve the WR Corps. We also added 2 offensive linemen, 2 DBs, 2 LBers and a partridge in a pear tree. I don't get the impression Hue feels like he'll be playing gridiron chess with pawns.

Im not ashamed of those 80's teams either. In fact id kill to bring some of those people back into the organization like bernie. Heck i was wantin marty back while he was still coaching. If he still wanted one more go at it id bring him back in a heartbeat if hue's gone after a year or two.

I had to hit pause when I caught Byner crying. That probably wasn't even the 'worst' of it.

That shit hits you hard and damn, I found myself crying as well.

+1

also the end part also - the father / son in the diner

spoke to me and as well......

For me the old dude (the fan with his grandson) and the bearded dude (the writer) who talked in many of bridge segments made the show. Loved their reflections and insights... Both added new depth to the all too familiar story-lines.

While the Browns' history dominated, it was good to see members of the killer Tribe line up of the 90's... Lofton... Thome... Nagy... and Grover. The latter having the line of the show: "I'll let you know when it happens."

He's got a great voice but I'm not sure that he has any connection to Cleveland whatever (the bearded dude). Certainly spoke about it from a distant perspective ("I can't imagine being from Cleveland.") He was the narrator for Roll Tide/War Eagle.

Nobody cared more than Ernest Byner. That's the tradgedy of The Fumble.

We already know all of this shit .., but if you have a loved one who is not up to speed, this is required viewing for them. Only way they will ever remotely understand you.

Z

It was brutal reliving all that stuff....

Yeah- I put the goat horns on Hargrove for the WS loss. His setup guys were mowing 'em down- and what did he do? Goes by the book, puts in Jose Make a Messa, who had been pitching poorly= another heartbreaking loss.

It was brutal reliving all that stuff....

Yeah- I put the goat horns on Hargrove for the WS loss. His setup guys were mowing 'em down- and what did he do? Goes by the book, puts in Jose Make a Messa, who had been pitching poorly= another heartbreaking loss.

Hargrove lived and died by the book.. His stupidity along with Jeff Newman's cost us 30 wins a season.. I still hate both those idiots.

Archived