THE BROWNS BOARD

On To Las Vegas?

The Gipper

I don't think the team would have trouble selling tickets. I think a lot of fans of opposing teams would make a trip out there for a road trip to see their team play the Raiders. I would consider it. I would also not be surprised if a lot of East Bay Raider fans would maintain their loyalty to the team.

The question is: If they announce that they are going to move, and get approval to do so, where would they play for the next 3 years while a stadium is being built? You say no stadium in Vegas now is worthy. Would they stay in Oakland? Would they be welcome to stay in Oakland? Would they go elsewhere temporarily. LA? Where would they play? In the Coliseum like the Rams are? The Rose Bowl? Or would they do a temporary stint in San Antonio in the Alamodome? How about Salt Lake? Is there a college stadium there they could use temporarily while they cultivate that market for fans? (That is Bronco territory basically right now). How about London? How about the new Tom Benson Stadium in Canton Ohio next to the PFHOF? (too small....only a bit over 22K capacity)

Where?

Right now, the plan is for them to be a lame duck team in Oakland for a couple of years while the stadium is built. If the move happens,Davis talked about a preseason game in Sam Boyd Stadium,where UNLV plays,but there aren't plans to play regular season games there. Sam Boyd Stadium sucks and I would equate it to a bad MAC stadium. It's not within walking distance of the Strip,either.

If Oakland are going to Vegas it needs to be done quickly ...... A little less conversation a little more action is required ...

Right now, the plan is for them to be a lame duck team in Oakland for a couple of years while the stadium is built. If the move happens,Davis talked about a preseason game in Sam Boyd Stadium,where UNLV plays,but there aren't plans to play regular season games there. Sam Boyd Stadium sucks and I would equate it to a bad MAC stadium. It's not within walking distance of the Strip,either.

Yea, I don't see the lame duck situation in Oakland as being healthy. That would be like the league having the Browns continue to play in Old Muni Stadium for a couple of years after Modell had announced his intent to move. They need to find an alternative.

I think at this point the Rams would not want another team playing in LA....even temporarily. I think now that they are there, they don'g want to share that market with either the Raiders or Chargers.

A current Non NFL city with an at least adequate stadium could be the best solution. That is why I mentioned San Antonio and the Alamodome...which has a 72,000 capacity. But, Jerry Jones may object to this....he thinks SATX is his territory (but fyi to him.....Houston Texans have been encroaching a lot in SA.....and will continue to do so if they start winning).

Or Salt Lake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice-Eccles_Stadium But this only has a 45,000 capacity. And the Broncos may object ans they consider that their territory.

How about Portland? In checking, nothing there...unless they want to play in a raceway. I don't think that would work so well.

And the Seahawks claim Portland

Sacramento? No, nothing more than about 20,000. But it would be a natural.

Share Levi Stadium with the 49ers? That had been considered before. Not sure the 49ers want that. I suspect them may be happy if the Raiders leave again. Will a lot of Bay Area Raider fans switch allegiance to the 49ers?

How about Tuscon...using the University of Tuscon Stadium? Cardinals would object.

Legion Field in Birmingham Ala? Could be an interesting option. While Alabama is college football all the way, I wonder who the people of Birmingham follow in terms of NFL. They are about equidistant from the Falcons, Saints, and Titans.

Maybe they could go and play for a couple of years in Aloha Stadium in Honolulu? They wouldn't be infringing on any other team's territory. Travel would be an issue....though opposing teams might like to go play there.

I don't know....I think bottom line....the Raiders will have to spend a couple of years playing in Nebraska or Iowa. Then they will have culture shock when they move to Vegas.

Archived