THE BROWNS BOARD

"Crow and Duke as good as I've seen in a while."

jiggins7919

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/05/hue_jackson_says_duke_johnson.html#incart_river_index

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Hue Jackson had two great reasons for not using any of his 14 draft picks on a running back: Duke Johnson and Isaiah Crowell.

"Those 2 guys are as good as I've seen in a while,'' Jackson said on the Browns draft review show Tuesday night that aired on 92.3 The Fan. "Their talent is extreme."

Jackson acknowledged that not selecting a back — in a draft in which some thought the Browns might land Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott — has drawn some heat.

"I've been getting so much mail or phones calls with people saying, 'Well wait a minute, why don't you guys have a running back?''' he said. "I really think Isaiah Crowell is a really good running back. I think he's going to have a sensational season, I really do."

Crowell, signed by the Browns as an undrafted free agent in 2014 out of Alabama State, led the team with 185 carries for 706 yards (3.8 yard per carry) and four TDs in 2015. But the Browns didn't commit to the run until late in the season, and Crowell was under-used in the first 12 games. In those outings, he rushed for 397 yards — compared to 309 in the final four games.

He carried the ball 20 times or more on only one occasion — in the 13th week of the season against San Francisco. Not surprisingly, it also marked his lone 100-yard performance of the season, a 145-yard effort.

In studying Crowell's film, Jackson sees a bellcow who can carry the load. The 5-11, 225-pounder didn't always find the holes quickly enough last season, but Jackson is confident that will change this year.

"Obviously Isaiah is very explosive," he said. "He's got quick feet, he's fast in the hole, he runs with good pad level.''

In Johnson, Jackson sees an elusive runner and dynamic receiver in the mold of Cincinnati's Gio Bernard, who rushed for 730 yards (4.7-yard average) and two TDs, and caught 49 passes for 472 yards and no TDs.

Johnson (5-9, 210) finished second to Crowell with 104 carries for 379 yards (3.6-yard average) and caught 61 passes for 532 yards, both of which were third on the team. He was also tied for third with two touchdown catches, and will be continue to be featured in the passing game.

"I think he's going to have a great year as well," Jackson said. "Duke has suddenness and quickness and he can go catch the ball with anybody. He does so many different things that gives your offense a boost.''

Feed the crow or eat it? Tom Reed looks at Isaiah Crowell's future

In addition to Crowell and Johnson, the Browns have Glenn Winston, Raheem Mostert and Terrell Watson, the former Bengals practice squad member who set Division II records at Azusa Pacific University.

"We haven't put the pads on yet and they have to do it, but I believe that we have the potential to be very good at that position." Jackson said. "I'm very comfortable with our group. I think we have some really good players there."

On draft weekend, Jackson stressed that the current group impressed him enough to stand pat at the position.

"It says that I'm very happy with the guys that are here," Jackson said.

The Browns finished 22nd in the NFL in rushing last season, and languished near the bottom until they averaged 160 yards in the final four games. The Bengals, meanwhile, finished 13th, and the Browns can expect to be more in that neighborhood in 2016.

"That's one of the things that once I got here that I wanted to take a strong look at,'' he said. "From top to bottom, I think we have some good candidates here."

I think the fact that we DIDN'T draft a RB speaks volumes to how our coach and organization feels about Crow and Duke. Crow had a few good games towards the end of the year, especially in games where we weren't getting our collective ass blown apart and running the ball was still a viable option. However, even when games were close at the beginning, I remember Crow receiving the early "token" carries, and not going ANYWHERE. Of course, many of these carries resulted in him getting hit in the backfield, so I don't believe he gets all of the blame. At the end of the season, we switched to more of a "power" style running game, and when the hole was there, Crow could certainly hit it. He does have quick feet, and I don't remember him fumbling as much. Even though Duke is the far better receiver, Crow still had a few nice receptions in his career, and can certainly make people miss. I would like to see him more involved in the passing game, especially since people expect Duke to be the primary receiving threat out of the backfield.

Duke was a pleasant surprise, and displayed nice acceleration and solid hands. We'd like to see more from the actual "running the ball" side of things from him, but I believe Hue can maximize his skill set. People like to point out what Hue Jackson did in Cincy with Giovanni and Hill, and for good reason. Hue Jackson displayed the ability to use two different running styles, in both the ground and air games, and he did a solid job of keeping defenses off guard. There is reason for optimism regarding the RB's this year, and we can talk about how protecting the QB is vital and all of that, but a QB's BEST FRIEND is the ability to run the ball. You run the ball well, and it opens up everything else. You can control the clock, rest your defense, utilize the play fake, and take some deep shots.

The running game is everything for our offense, especially since we don't have proven wide receivers, and our QB situation is less than optimal.

I agree with Hue. A running game lives and dies by it's offensive line. That's why we drafted Coleman,& Drango to bolster the power run game. That's why I think the Cowboys drafting Ezekiel Elliot might've been a waste for them. Their o-line is so good that they could've gotten a mid-rounder to perform well enough to give them a solid run game.

Alfred Morris signs with the Cowboys then the Cowboys draft Zeke. Also Murray gets traded to the Titans and the Titans then draft Henry. I say one of these two (Murray and Morris) get cut or are now in the trade market. It wouldn't take too much.

I agree with Hue. A running game lives and dies by it's offensive line. That's why we drafted Coleman,& Drango to bolster the power run game. That's why I think the Cowboys drafting Ezekiel Elliot might've been a waste for them. Their o-line is so good that they could've gotten a mid-rounder to perform well enough to give them a solid run game.

Yes, it also relies on its QB and play calling. McCown was a target and Johnny was his own running game at times.

There were a lot of things that went into our poor run game performance last year, the least of which was lack of talent with Crown and Duke.

They may flourish in Hugh's system with a dual threat QB with a big arm.

Zombo

The Browns weren't a passing threat, outside of Barnidge.

To boost the run game, the Browns drafted the wr's that will make a

giant difference in the passing game, and defenses won't be

able to just set up to stop the run, and let the passing game struggle

with double covering Barnidge.

Alfred Morris signs with the Cowboys then the Cowboys draft Zeke. Also Murray gets traded to the Titans and the Titans then draft Henry. I say one of these two (Murray and Morris) get cut or are now in the trade market. It wouldn't take too much.

I don't think Hue and the gang is worried about the RB position. He has Crow, Duke, and Terrell Watson (a kid Hue brought over from the Bengals). Bringing in guys who have a ton of miles on them doesn't make much sense on a rebuilding team.

I don't think Hue and the gang is worried about the RB position. He has Crow, Duke, and Terrell Watson (a kid Hue brought over from the Bengals). Bringing in guys who have a ton of miles on them doesn't make much sense on a rebuilding team.

This.

Z

Morris or Murray are better than anyone on the Browns current roster. It's going to be a team effort keeping RG3 upright and the running game is crucial.

Just a prediction...I bet we land one of these two.

Morris or Murray are better than anyone on the Browns current roster. It's going to be a team effort keeping RG3 upright and the running game is crucial.

Just a prediction...I bet we land one of these two.

A 27 and 28 year old who took beatings and tons of carries. I have my doubts that they will pick either up. Hue's interview pretty much confirms this.

A 27 and 28 year old who took beatings and tons of carries. I have my doubts that they will pick either up. Hue's interview pretty much confirms this.

If he's talking about a RB for the future having one that does the side step block sure as heck isn't rebuilding. And Hue getting RG3 is a bit hypocritical then if he thinks getting a RB with some tread off his tires doesn't bode well for the future of a team.

If he's talking about a RB for the future having one that does the side step block sure as heck isn't rebuilding. And Hue getting RG3 is a bit hypocritical then if he thinks getting a RB with some tread off his tires doesn't bode well for the future of a team.

I think they play who they have so they know if they need to draft a kid next year. No one should expect much this year.

Hue is making a misstake if he does get a experienced RB on the roster. It's ok to get a qb with two bum knees but not bring in a vet RB?

To paraphrase Ghoolie: "Running backs are a dime a dozen". If the Browns need a veteran for training camp or beyond, they can get one.

For whatever reason in this day and age it seems that RBs who may be UDFAs can turn out better oftentimes than RBs that are somewhat high picks.

The NFL equivalent of sour grapes. Elliott will propel them deep into the playoffs and if we have a lick of sense, we find a way to get Fornette on our team next year.

The NFL equivalent of sour grapes. Elliott will propel them deep into the playoffs and if we have a lick of sense, we find a way to get Fornette on our team next year.

This season will determine whether or not they feel that using a high first round pick on a RB is a necessity. If Crow, Duke, and Watson get the job done then they won't worry about it.

This season will determine whether or not they feel that using a high first round pick on a RB is a necessity. If Crow, Duke, and Watson get the job done then they won't worry about it.

They have not demonstrated that kind of ability yet, so we shall see indeed.

With more dangerous weapons out there Crow and Duke will feast on them yards.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/05/hue_jackson_says_duke_johnson.html#incart_river_index

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Hue Jackson had two great reasons for not using any of his 14 draft picks on a running back: Duke Johnson and Isaiah Crowell.

"Those 2 guys are as good as I've seen in a while,'' Jackson said on the Browns draft review show Tuesday night that aired on 92.3 The Fan. "Their talent is extreme."

Jackson acknowledged that not selecting a back — in a draft in which some thought the Browns might land Ohio State's Ezekiel Elliott — has drawn some heat.

"I've been getting so much mail or phones calls with people saying, 'Well wait a minute, why don't you guys have a running back?''' he said. "I really think Isaiah Crowell is a really good running back. I think he's going to have a sensational season, I really do."

Crowell, signed by the Browns as an undrafted free agent in 2014 out of Alabama State, led the team with 185 carries for 706 yards (3.8 yard per carry) and four TDs in 2015. But the Browns didn't commit to the run until late in the season, and Crowell was under-used in the first 12 games. In those outings, he rushed for 397 yards — compared to 309 in the final four games.

He carried the ball 20 times or more on only one occasion — in the 13th week of the season against San Francisco. Not surprisingly, it also marked his lone 100-yard performance of the season, a 145-yard effort.

In studying Crowell's film, Jackson sees a bellcow who can carry the load. The 5-11, 225-pounder didn't always find the holes quickly enough last season, but Jackson is confident that will change this year.

"Obviously Isaiah is very explosive," he said. "He's got quick feet, he's fast in the hole, he runs with good pad level.''

In Johnson, Jackson sees an elusive runner and dynamic receiver in the mold of Cincinnati's Gio Bernard, who rushed for 730 yards (4.7-yard average) and two TDs, and caught 49 passes for 472 yards and no TDs.

Johnson (5-9, 210) finished second to Crowell with 104 carries for 379 yards (3.6-yard average) and caught 61 passes for 532 yards, both of which were third on the team. He was also tied for third with two touchdown catches, and will be continue to be featured in the passing game.

"I think he's going to have a great year as well," Jackson said. "Duke has suddenness and quickness and he can go catch the ball with anybody. He does so many different things that gives your offense a boost.''

Feed the crow or eat it? Tom Reed looks at Isaiah Crowell's future

In addition to Crowell and Johnson, the Browns have Glenn Winston, Raheem Mostert and Terrell Watson, the former Bengals practice squad member who set Division II records at Azusa Pacific University.

"We haven't put the pads on yet and they have to do it, but I believe that we have the potential to be very good at that position." Jackson said. "I'm very comfortable with our group. I think we have some really good players there."

On draft weekend, Jackson stressed that the current group impressed him enough to stand pat at the position.

"It says that I'm very happy with the guys that are here," Jackson said.

The Browns finished 22nd in the NFL in rushing last season, and languished near the bottom until they averaged 160 yards in the final four games. The Bengals, meanwhile, finished 13th, and the Browns can expect to be more in that neighborhood in 2016.

"That's one of the things that once I got here that I wanted to take a strong look at,'' he said. "From top to bottom, I think we have some good candidates here."

I think the fact that we DIDN'T draft a RB speaks volumes to how our coach and organization feels about Crow and Duke. Crow had a few good games towards the end of the year, especially in games where we weren't getting our collective ass blown apart and running the ball was still a viable option. However, even when games were close at the beginning, I remember Crow receiving the early "token" carries, and not going ANYWHERE. Of course, many of these carries resulted in him getting hit in the backfield, so I don't believe he gets all of the blame. At the end of the season, we switched to more of a "power" style running game, and when the hole was there, Crow could certainly hit it. He does have quick feet, and I don't remember him fumbling as much. Even though Duke is the far better receiver, Crow still had a few nice receptions in his career, and can certainly make people miss. I would like to see him more involved in the passing game, especially since people expect Duke to be the primary receiving threat out of the backfield.

Duke was a pleasant surprise, and displayed nice acceleration and solid hands. We'd like to see more from the actual "running the ball" side of things from him, but I believe Hue can maximize his skill set. People like to point out what Hue Jackson did in Cincy with Giovanni and Hill, and for good reason. Hue Jackson displayed the ability to use two different running styles, in both the ground and air games, and he did a solid job of keeping defenses off guard. There is reason for optimism regarding the RB's this year, and we can talk about how protecting the QB is vital and all of that, but a QB's BEST FRIEND is the ability to run the ball. You run the ball well, and it opens up everything else. You can control the clock, rest your defense, utilize the play fake, and take some deep shots.

The running game is everything for our offense, especially since we don't have proven wide receivers, and our QB situation is less than optimal.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rams had the greatest show on turf. Wait till the great hue has to count on the Cleat less Crow :)

For example look what Az is doing at RB. They have Brian Johnson and Andre Ellington. Then as a vet RB that have Chris Johnson. It makes for a good rotation.

Spoken like a true Zona fan. Now due to your heckisium. All 3 of their asses will be limping around by week 4 AGAIN :P. It's a sad day when Vesna is making damn good cents$$ B)

As I have said before, the Browns have "hidden talent" that our previous coaching staff either DIDN'T coach and/or didn't utilize properly. Combine the talent acquired this off season with holdovers AND the solid, experienced coaching staff we now have & we will move forward.

Remember the 3 games where Duke did very well in the 1st half of each? In those SAME 3 games, he had a TOTAL of ONE touch in those 3 second halves. That certainly won't happen under Hue & Staff.

Mike

Spoken like a true Zona fan. Now due to your heckisium. All 3 of their asses will be limping around by week 4 AGAIN :P. It's a sad day when Vesna is making damn good cents$$ B)

We will see. It all hinges on Palmer getting the piss stains out of his uni pants.

As I have said before, the Browns have "hidden talent" that our previous coaching staff either DIDN'T coach and/or didn't utilize properly. Combine the talent acquired this off season with holdovers AND the solid, experienced coaching staff we now have & we will move forward.

Remember the 3 games where Duke did very well in the 1st half of each? In those SAME 3 games, he had a TOTAL of ONE touch in those 3 second halves. That certainly won't happen under Hue & Staff.

Mike

Well said Old LegHumper. Now get us to that first team scrimmage. We got lots of questions for MKC :wub: Oh never mind!! My rumor was we were still looking to trade her down in the 8th round :lol:

Archived