THE BROWNS BOARD

WEEK 11 NCAA FOOTBALL, top 25, games and more, BIG shake-ups!

mjp28

All of college football but D-1A has playoffs your regular season earns a spot in the playoffs or in D-1A those 30+ bowl games. Yes it matters.

You may hear the cry for expanded playoffs after this season.

you'll hear the cry to expand it every season

No one really cares about D-1A football

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to make being one of the top two ranked schools actually mean something.

At the very least the 1st round should be home games for the higher ranked team.

Western Michigan is undefeated. I know they haven't played anyone but you can say that about most teams. It would be good to see one or two teams per year like that get a shot

6 team giving the top two teams byes.

CFB is one of the few sports left where the regular season means something. A 16 team playoff shatters that

Au contraire, you'd see some badass OOC matchups in a 16 team playoff. Everyone would be trying to increase their SOS to get into the "tourney." It would make march madness pale in comparison. It would be awesome.

That said, it's too many games for unpaid players. College teams already play like 33% more snaps than the NFL. So a 12 game regular season is like a 16 game NFL season. Now you're asking them to play a conference championship. You add 3 games (in an 8 team playoff), and that's like 4 NFL games.

So you want kids to play 20 games a year for free? More if you go to 16. Good luck.

I think they need to drop the regular season down go 10-11 games.

Western Michigan is undefeated. I know they haven't played anyone but you can say that about most teams. It would be good to see one or two teams per year like that get a shot

Why? So we can all feed bad for them and see how much they don't belong? It's a waste of our time.

You can't take a one loss team over 2 loss champ from that same teams conference. Especially when those teams played to OT.

Sure you can. The committee can do whatever it wants. Its stated goal is to get the 4 best teams. Winning a conference is only 1 aspect of that.

I think OSU still needs some help to make the playoff if the committee values conference championships at all

The help they need is to beat Michigan. (and MSU too). That itself will take them over any barrier needed.

Without an early bye how does a 6 team work? An 8 team does several things like allow for the P5 teams and several at large teams, 8 just pairs off better and would work.

And who doesn't think 16 might make some intriguing matchup games, 1/16, 2/15 etc.

And yes first round home games for higher seeded teams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh my YSU Penguins should be back in the D-1AA Sweet Sixteen again under Bo Pelini, they've ONLY made the playoffs once since Tressel left!

I basically agree. 8 teams gets you the P5 automatic qualifiers, plus 3 wildcards. This year, such a system could in fact let you have OSU/Mich and Penn St. all make it, plus Louisville and Clemson.

If you went to 16 teams, then you would probably have to have automatic qualifiers from the Conf USA, the AAC , the MAC , the Sun Belt, the Mountain West also get in. 10 automatic qualifiers, 6 wild cards.

It would work. (it does work for FCS). While no team gets a bye, the top seeded teams would get to perhaps host games vs. Sun Belt/MAC etc. champs.

Not if it dilutes the regular season.

Top teams would be able to have 3 losses and it won't matter. I think 16 is way too many and 8 might be too.

Oh, my bad. I forget context sometimes when I'm responding, especially since this site only lists the most recent quote when you respond.

A&M has been through an absolute gauntlet this year. With both teams healthy, they would destroy every group of 5 team in the country, with the possible exception of Houston. Western Michigan or whoever it is we're talking about here would not even go 6-6 in the SECW. I would be really shocked if they won a game.

Archived