• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Interests:SPORTS, good restaurants or cooking out, premium cigars among others

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:18 PM

A lot of people and states claim to have the best barbecue and fixings, now that would be an interesting tour!

Many down South but how about one from every state. https://www.thrillis...ants-in-the-usa

#42 The Gipper

The Gipper

Number Hangs in the Rafters

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,927 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

A lot of people and states claim to have the best barbecue and fixings, now that would be an interesting tour!

Many down South but how about one from every state. https://www.thrillis...ants-in-the-usa

Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list,  is where I just ate.   I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

South Carolina likes their BBQ sauce with a mustard base.

#43 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • Interests:SPORTS, good restaurants or cooking out, premium cigars among others

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list,  is where I just ate.   I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

Geezzzz you're making me hungry for some good BBQ ribs and other fixin's. We generally do that on the grill in warmer weather -but- occasionally get carry out.

I also like those grilling shows on PBS many which show either backyard cooking or the real meals on the butcher paper with the works.

#44 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

From the every state list......

OHIO
Mabel's BBQ (Address and Info)
CLEVELAND
The deal: There was a mixture of excitement and skepticism when it was announced that celeb chef and Cleveland institution Michael Symon was getting into the barbecue game repping "Cleveland-style" barbecue (is that a thing? We're not sure that's a thing?). But in the end, Symon knows his meat, and for an upscale-ish northern barbecue joint to win Texas barbecue authority and Ohio-native Daniel Vaughn's seal of approval, you know it's doing something right.

The move: So about that Cleveland style. Symon's not trying to create a barbecue tradition out of whole cloth here -- much is borrowed from the great American barbecue styles, with tweaks and wrinkles to provide just a little more of a Cleveland tie-in. Think Bertman's Ballpark Mustard in the brisket smoked over local apple and cherry woods, and pastrami spices on the intimidatingly large beef short ribs. You should sample some of both, and some of the sauerkraut that comes on the side. It works. This Cleveland 'cue thing just might work out.

#45 The Gipper

The Gipper

• REGISTERED
  • 37,927 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

From the every state list......

OHIO
Mabel's BBQ (Address and Info)
CLEVELAND
The deal: There was a mixture of excitement and skepticism when it was announced that celeb chef and Cleveland institution Michael Symon was getting into the barbecue game repping "Cleveland-style" barbecue (is that a thing? We're not sure that's a thing?). But in the end, Symon knows his meat, and for an upscale-ish northern barbecue joint to win Texas barbecue authority and Ohio-native Daniel Vaughn's seal of approval, you know it's doing something right.

The move: So about that Cleveland style. Symon's not trying to create a barbecue tradition out of whole cloth here -- much is borrowed from the great American barbecue styles, with tweaks and wrinkles to provide just a little more of a Cleveland tie-in. Think Bertman's Ballpark Mustard in the brisket smoked over local apple and cherry woods, and pastrami spices on the intimidatingly large beef short ribs. You should sample some of both, and some of the sauerkraut that comes on the side. It works. This Cleveland 'cue thing just might work out.

It is right there next to Symon's other restarurant's on East 4th St. 

https://www.google.c...98!4d-81.690348

#46 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

Oh so how was Joe's? On your personal best list?

#47 The Gipper

The Gipper

• REGISTERED
  • 37,927 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

Oh so how was Joe's? On your personal best list?

Super, yes.  I just had some BBQ at a place here yesterday...and it was not so good.  Tough, chewy meat.   There are supposed to be much better places around here.  (Akron/Canton)

#48 DieHardBrownsFan

DieHardBrownsFan

Member since Sept 18, 2006

• REGISTERED
  • 18,353 posts
  • Interests:A winning Browns team.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

BBQ should be fall off the bone tender.  

#49 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

And why generally better or the best ribs cost more, good meat cooked right.

#50 The Gipper

The Gipper

• REGISTERED
  • 37,927 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:07 AM

Yea, and this stuff was not.  It was from a chain called Old Carolina.

#51 mjp28

mjp28

Pro Veteran

• REGISTERED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:35 AM

We had this yesterday.....

BONELESS RIBS WITH SAUERKRAUT

2 lbs. boneless ribs
1 or 2 large onions chopped up and browned in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Black pepper 1/2 tsp, salt to taste
Sage, parsley, thyme dried, sprinkle of each
Sprinkle of paprika
Garlic powder 1/4 tsp
A few pats of butter to sauerkraut

Brown ribs in skillet or dutch oven with about 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, remove to plate
Brown onions in extra virgin olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter and add above dry ingredients

One large can of sauerkraut (more if desired for leftovers ), drain and rinse in water, squeeze dry

Add sauerkraut and herbs, cook until all combined well, add to ribs put oven at 350° for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until done juicy
Add about 1 cup of water while cooking......

Boneless pork with saurkraut, a mix of light and dark pieces for flavor
Mashed potatoes
Sliced carrots in butter with a slight dusting of brown sugar on top

My wife is good at varying the recipe from time to time to keep it interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users