THE BROWNS BOARD

Final Four

Zombo

Brady, Ben, Rodgers and Ryan. A virtual "Who's Who" of Franchise QBs. Three Hall of Famers and the reigning MVP.

You fuckers that wanna go defense with the first three picks and ride Kessler need to wake up.

I don't care if you disagree with me on Garappalos' worth, but you have to agree that if you don't have a franchise QB you turn over every rock until you find one.

We've got #1, #12, #33, a shiltoad of cap room and a war chest full of draft picks ... whoever the best QB available is this year .. we need to make him a Brown.

Zombo

And yet I'll wait until March for the real FINAL FOUR starts.

.....but the top 4 NFL seeds did make it into the Championship round, GO GB I guess.

I disagree with the logic. Because every time you miss on a QB, your team SUCKS. If you build the rest of the squad to the point where you're, say, 8-8, then try to add your QB and you whiff, who cares. Your fans still got to enjoy an ok season and you know you're just a QB away.

And the stats favor you missing, not hitting.

I disagree with the logic. Because every time you miss on a QB, your team SUCKS. If you build the rest of the squad to the point where you're, say, 8-8, then try to add your QB and you whiff, who cares. Your fans still got to enjoy an ok season and you know you're just a QB away.

Well I'm not saying to ignore the rest of the team. Obviously you want to build a strong team and these final four have talent on both sides of the ball.

I think you can do both ... Build a team and look for your QB ... Some folks act like if we use one our #1s to find a QB we can't build a solid team. Why not?

The Texans are solid and they start a different guy in the playoffs every year so they will keep looking.

8-8 sounds good to a Browns fan right now, but the Franchise objective should be Super Bowls, and you need a big time QB to compete for those.

In the AFC, the winner has been Brady, Manning or Ben every single year since 2003, except the one year it was Flacco.

Zombo

Brady, Ben, Rodgers and Ryan. A virtual "Who's Who" of Franchise QBs. Three Hall of Famers and the reigning MVP.

You fuckers that wanna go defense with the first three picks and ride Kessler need to wake up.

I don't care if you disagree with me on Garappalos' worth, but you have to agree that if you don't have a franchise QB you turn over every rock until you find one.

We've got #1, #12, #33, a shiltoad of cap room and a war chest full of draft picks ... whoever the best QB available is this year .. we need to make him a Brown.

Zombo

If there was even a hint that any QB available will be the next Brady, Rodgers or Ryan this wouldn't be a question but instead we are looking at Vince Young, Brock Osweiler, etc.

If the next Andrew Luck was coming in this years draft the Browns would take him #1

Zombo

Well if that's the plan and Jimmy Garoppolo is the best option and the Jets want to trade we can still get him with the number 6.

Because if we take a quarterback with number 1 and he doesn't take us to the playoffs and then the Superbowl...

WSS

If there was even a hint that any QB available will be the next Brady, Rodgers or Ryan this wouldn't be a question but instead we are looking at Vince Young, Brock Osweiler, etc.

If the next Andrew Luck was coming in this years draft the Browns would take him #1

Obviously. But Rodgers was passed up by most teams, and Brady passed up by all 6 times.

You gotta keep looking.

If your scouts tell you that Jimmy G can be Matt Ryan, then shouldn't be afraid to trade that #12. If you are really high on one of the rookies then go for it.

Someone is going to find a QB this year. The Cowboys did this year. Sometimes you find them in the fourth round.

Maybe the Texans failed on Osweiler, but they could have one in Savage

Unless you think Cody Kessler is ever going to be as good as these guys, you keep looking.

Z

You know, I really don't get what people are trying to accomplish by making this statement. If the Board offered a "no shit" award this would be a prime example. Of course you need a franchise QB to be good in this league-who the fuck is saying differently?

The point I've said about this years draft all along is the Browns need significant upgrades in every position on the field outside of 2-3 areas, to include of course QB. If they think Trubisky or whoever is that dude at #1, then fucking go for it. But we aren't the Cowboys who had an excellent teams sans a QB. We are a team who needs players all over the field.

And yet he was a number one pick where none of the other four mentioned here are.

I'd still rather have a first round pick on a QB if possible but of course there are no absolute guarantees that he will turn out to be a franchise QB....same as any other round picks.

I don't like picking out any one successful lower round pick and holding him out as the best way to go about aquiring your next QB or any other position pick.

Yeah there are some lower rounders that play with an enormous chip on their shoulder and through great football war room skill or just luck you land him and that's part of the fun of this whole process.

And yet only one of those 4 was a top 9 draft pick and Brady came from the bleachers in left field.

If you remember way, way back Michigan QBs didn't really make it as great starters in the NFL and out of the 25 modern day HOF QBs I think 0 are from Michigan, Brady will be a first-round unanimous pick.

The NFL has it's share of first round busts but I'd still go with a first round stud every time. ....oh yeah our BROWNS are in that position right now in spades!

And yet only one of those 4 was a top 9 draft pick and Brady came from the bleachers in left field.

Listen, whoever said this was a "no shit" thread was right, but now it has turned into a Gipper-like thread for me ... I started it, so now I have to defend it.

Here's my angle: Always be aggressively pursuing QBs.

The Packers having Brett Favre didn't stop them from throwing a first rounder at this skinny California kid who was dropping like a rock through the first round. The Browns had the third pick that year and took a WR that has been out of the league for five years and then reached for Charlie Frye in the third round. Cart before horse. I imagine they liked Rodgers better than Frye ... they shoulda went for him, they had nothing at the position.

The Steelers had a top defense and a top running game. They didn't say "let's just let Tommy Maddox manage the games and go 10-6 every year", they took a shot at that 6'5 small college goofball and there he was yesterday still making plays. We drafted ahead of Pittsburgh and took a tight end because we just signed 34 yo Jeff Garcia and we were all set at that position. He lasted a year.

Matt Ryan went third overall to the Falcons. That was after the Dolphins and Rams took Jake Long and Chris Long. Nice linemen, winding down their careers with other teams. You think the Dolphins and Rams coulda used a franchise QB instead? We didn't have a first rounder that year because we traded it for Brady Quinn the year before. Swing and a miss ... but at least we were swinging.

Then, there is Tom Brady, Mr. Anomaly. The Patriots could been a good team with Bledsoe, but they became a great one with Brady because they threw a 6th rounder at him. Ya, they got lucky. And maybe the Cowboys got lucky this year with Prescott ... but you always have to be looking even when you have a QB ... when you don't have one? You damn well need to find one.

Zombo

You could throw the Redskins example into this mix. They traded the farm to pick RG III and then still took Kirk Cousins in the same draft (as I recall). How did that work out for them? I'd take Cousins on the Browns these days.

Or as I put it... "you always have to be looking for your next QB."

Only things we disagree on are:

• which rocks to look under, and
  • whether "the best" this year will ever be mentioned in the same conversation with the four you listed... let alone the same breath.

Zombo

Mitch Trubisky.

You have to do both. Get the QB, build the defense.

There seem to be a plethora of quality defensive players in this draft, and the Browns are poised to get as many as three of them.

But there is, in my view, only one franchise caliber QB in this draft....and the Browns are poised to get him as well.

If a draft results in the acquisition of: A. a franchise QB B. 3 quality defenders......What is not to like about that?

Maybe you didn't get THE very best defensive player in the draft.

.....but you got several good defensive players....and a fucking franchise QB.

Zombo is right. Doing anything else would just be stupid.

The next Aaron Rodgers may be coming out.

If you remember way, way back Michigan QBs didn't really make it as great starters in the NFL and out of the 25 modern day HOF QBs I think 0 are from Michigan, Brady will be a first-round unanimous pick.

The NFL has it's share of first round busts but I'd still go with a first round stud every time. ....oh yeah our BROWNS are in that position right now in spades!

You have to go back to Benny Friedman before to find a HOF caliber QB come out of Michigan.

Though, Jim Harbaugh was a pretty solid pro.

(of course, NO NFL franchise type QB has ever come out of Ohio St.)

Listen, whoever said this was a "no shit" thread was right, but now it has turned into a Gipper-like thread for me ... I started it, so now I have to defend it.

Did you see where I said you are right on with this thread.

Here's my angle: Always be aggressively pursuing QBs.

Right On, Baby

The Packers having Brett Favre didn't stop them from throwing a first rounder at this skinny California kid who was dropping like a rock through the first round. The Browns had the third pick that year and took a WR that has been out of the league for five years and then reached for Charlie Frye in the third round. Cart before horse. I imagine they liked Rodgers better than Frye ... they shoulda went for him, they had nothing at the position.

Right On Brother....I have said that over and over.

The Steelers had a top defense and a top running game. They didn't say "let's just let Tommy Maddox manage the games and go 10-6 every year", they took a shot at that 6'5 small college goofball and there he was yesterday still making plays. We drafted ahead of Pittsburgh and took a tight end because we just signed 34 yo Jeff Garcia and we were all set at that position. He lasted a year.

The Browns never got it Right On like you did here.

Matt Ryan went third overall to the Falcons. That was after the Dolphins and Rams took Jake Long and Chris Long. Nice linemen, winding down their careers with other teams. You think the Dolphins and Rams coulda used a franchise QB instead? We didn't have a first rounder that year because we traded it for Brady Quinn the year before. Swing and a miss ... but at least we were swinging.

Ride On Baby

Then, there is Tom Brady, Mr. Anomaly. The Patriots could been a good team with Bledsoe, but they became a great one with Brady because they threw a 6th rounder at him. Ya, they got lucky. And maybe the Cowboys got lucky this year with Prescott ... but you always have to be looking even when you have a QB ... when you don't have one? You damn well need to find one.

Right On The money.

I did a mock draft thread where I took both Mitch T and Chad Kelly with 2 of my picks. Keep on slinging hash, some of it will stick.

Well I'm not saying to ignore the rest of the team. Obviously you want to build a strong team and these final four have talent on both sides of the ball.

I think you can do both ... Build a team and look for your QB ... Some folks act like if we use one our #1s to find a QB we can't build a solid team. Why not?

The Texans are solid and they start a different guy in the playoffs every year so they will keep looking.

8-8 sounds good to a Browns fan right now, but the Franchise objective should be Super Bowls, and you need a big time QB to compete for those.

In the AFC, the winner has been Brady, Manning or Ben every single year since 2003, except the one year it was Flacco.

Zombo

That is evidence in support of both arguments. I argue that they're good because they have a QB and don't have to waste first rounders on one every 2-3 years. Obviously you argue it as evidence that you need a QB.

And where are the Texans had they used the high picks with which they got Clowney and Watt on bust QBs?

That is evidence in support of both arguments. I argue that they're good because they have a QB and don't have to waste first rounders on one every 2-3 years. Obviously you argue it as evidence that you need a QB.

Not sure if you are arguing yourself into circles. Clearly, if you have The Man.....a Brady, Rodgers, BR, Ryan, Wilson etc. etc., you do not have to "waste" a first round pick every 2-3 years on a QB. But, in case you haven't heard, the Browns HAVE wasted a first round picks every 2-3 years because they have had to because their picks have not only not been THE MAN, they have played like a bunch of little girls. So, we still gotta go out and get the man.

And where are the Texans had they used the high picks with which they got Clowney and Watt on bust QBs?

In the Clowney year they could have taken Blake Bortles, and that would not have been great.

But, you know, at the Top of Round 2, they could have had Derek Carr....but didn't take him because of being gunshiy about David Carr.

They should have just done that.

(Who was their QB then?)

In 2011 they took Watt at #11.

Not much behind where they took panned out....you had your Gabbert's, Ponder, Locker. Also Dalton round 2, Kaepernick there too.

But, they are still looking for a QB.

You have to go back to Benny Friedman before to find a HOF caliber QB come out of Michigan.

Though, Jim Harbaugh was a pretty solid pro.

(of course, NO NFL franchise type QB has ever come out of Ohio St.)

That's true going back it was Woody's RB U, more recently it's been serviceable QBs like Krenzel or Smith more B1G type players.

Archived